Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Harlock posted:

Can't just download a saved game? Does LBP have protected saves?

I don't think the saves are protected, but I think the imported profile data has to be from the same account as you'll use to play LBP2. The only thing I could think of is downloading a 100% save, loading up LBP1, backing up your profile and importing it then. (Of course, that would require owning LBP1. Also it assumes that save games aren't linked to profiles already.) That is totally supposition on my part, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

All that being said, I really like the idea of having multiplayer games on the hard drive. I know it sounds super-duper lazy, but sometimes I feel like checking in on a game (BF3, for me right now) and playing a few rounds and then dropping out, and not having to grab a disc off the shelf helps. It's also always staring at my when I turn on my PS3 to play something else, which is often enough to convince me to play it instead.

(I know I'm coming off like someone too lazy to get off the couch, but I think convenience can only help multiplayer games, especially those that aren't as popular as CoD, BF or Halo, i.e. KZ3.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

csidle posted:

I started Uncharted 2 last night. While I haven't gotten far enough to judge it as a whole, it feels better than the first. The main thing that I want to say, though, is that the first burglary mission is incredible. drat that was cool.

Get used to that feeling. Uncharted 2 has its problems, but I think "drat that was cool" is the perfect one sentence review for that game.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I really don't know why people get so offended when other people find a game sincerely emotionally affecting. Is there just a natural reaction where there are those who feel its their duty to counteract the hype machine? Alternatively, why do people get so offended when other people don't want to buy the game sight-unseen even if its not their 'type' of game? It's entirely possible, even reasonable, for some people not to like Journey. Not really talking about anyone specifically here, but across the internet as a whole with this stuff. Even the value discussion can get a little silly, as it is so dependent on personal situation. (For example, I share my life and TV time with my girlfriend and son, so most games take me at least a couple of weeks to finish, if not more. I'm far from rich but I make enough money that $15 is something I really don't have to think too long and hard about on an infrequent basis. So Journey is pretty much right in my sweet spot. Yours? Maybe not.)

I played through Journey and thought it was fantastic -- one of the most purely enjoyable gaming sessions I've had in a while, actually. No crying, but a definitely sense of satisfaction. But that said, I can think of a few people I know who would hate it at any price. It is a beautiful game, visually, and the story it tells is simple and sparingly told (in a good way). It's also the most satisfying (public) co-op experience I've had, even without direct communication -- or maybe because of the lack of direct communication. If that sounds like something that you would like and $15 doesn't break the bank, I'd say you should probably play it.

edit: Also, the soundtrack is pretty great and fits the game perfectly.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at Mar 14, 2012 around 19:46

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Crap does this mean I should fire up The Saboteur right quick and get in on whatever's going away? I just polished of GTA IV finally and started up Rayman Origins and am right in the middle of Skies of Arcadia Legends on the Gamecube, and I'm a bit burnt out on open-world action after GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption back to back (and Liberty City Stories, I just remembered.)

The answer is yes, regardless of any DLC concerns.

Seriously, though, unless video game boobs are a big deal, it doesn't really matter. You're not really missing out on much by not having the hiding spots or mini-game. You get a new car from the mini game (and some contraband afterwards I think) but you can get better cars without much trouble.

Even more seriously, play The Saboteur. It's pretty awesome.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

I would be really surprised if they included non-Sony characters. Speaking of which, Sackboy's gotta be in there.

I don't know what it says about me, but Sackboy would be the first character mentioned with this that I would get excited about.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Did your uncle at Sony tell you this?

God of War: Ascension – Multiplayer Announcement Live From Santa Monica Studio
God of War: Ascension takes godslaying online with multiplayer focus
God of War: Ascension multiplayer preview

vvv Details for the live stream are in the first link I listed, for anyone interested

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Remember how PS+ members are supposed to get Awesomenauts for free tomorrow? Now, maybe not so much. Apparently the developer -- DTP Entertainment -- is going bankrupt.

At least we still get Rock of Ages (on the 15th), Trine 2, Symphony of the Night, etc.

edit -- Or maybe we will. If you have an Xbox, though, you may not be so lucky.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at Apr 30, 2012 around 19:21

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Cab posted:

No PS is for sure getting awesomenauts tomorrow. That's confirmed by Sony. Xbox may or may not get released.

I'm happy that preliminary reports were wrong. Normally I probably wouldn't look at the game unless it was free, but this guarantees I'll probably at least give it a shot. Having a good online community is usually pretty tough for downloadable console games, so if the game is any good this will probably give it a real shot in the arm.

Hopefully its properly balanced out of the gate.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Cbouncerrun posted:

Rock and Ages AND Awesomenauts for free. Looks like this is the month to sign up for PS+. Only thing is, if I let my subscription expire after that I'd lose the games I got for free right?

You wouldn't lose them, so much as you wouldn't be able to play them. I guess that's a small distinction, but if you renew your PS+ account at some point, you'd be able to load them again.

(Don't forget Trine 2 and that Castlevania goodness for free as well.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

It's fairly obvious but still worth noting that anything you buy at a discount with PS+ will be just fine if you let your subscription expire. Unfortunately the discounts aren't always super deep, but I'm not going to argue with Rayman: Origins for $15 in a couple of weeks.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Rayman: Origins was supposed to be $15 with PS+ today, but according to the Blog that's not going to happen. So much for my backup plan for when I need to share the Diablo 3 machine computer with my girlfriend. They don't know if the sale will go through next update, either.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Jjaarreett posted:

Yep, they're yours to keep as long as you're a subscribing member. Not sure how long they're sticking around but you can always "tag" them as purchased by clicking on them and confirming purchase, then backing out. You'll see a red shopping bag and they'll be in your download history for later.
This is really good advice. For all the people new to the PS+ stuff: if you have even the slightest interest in any or all of the free games, now or future, put all of them in your cart and 'buy' them. You don't have to download them now, as you can still find them in your download history anytime. Even when the games stop being free you can still download them, as you've already 'bought' them. (For as long as you're subscribed, anyhow.) I think the point deserves repeating, especially for those of us with dwindling hard drive space.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I die a little inside every time I hear our 11 year old refer to something as "totally fail". It's those darn minecraft youtubes he watches!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Also, I had somehow missed this old gem of game journalism while googling a question about the game's mechanics: How many ways can Space Marine NOT rip off Gears of War?

Holy hell, that article is ridiculous. He started with a first impression and ginned up a story to go along with it, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. He even took THQ's answer of "we don't believe it is copying an here is why" as partial evidence of copying, because they clearly had an answer prepared and must get asked about it a lot.

I like his "update" even better than the original article, though. He backpedals like crazy while still maintaining he was totally right to ask these questions. It's not "research based journalism", after all, even though he talked directly to the publisher on the subject.

Sure, Space Marine doesn't sound like the most original game in the world (especially mechanically). You'd think it would only take the smallest amount of research (or, you know, just listening to what people have already told him) to not look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Anyone want a Dust 514 Beta key? IGN Prime just starting spitting them out, and I'm not going to use it. According to the email, IGN.com users in general get them in a couple days, so it's not terribly precious. Annnyway, its M6JE-P3NE-FQJ2.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know, but many people honestly didn't realize anything felt different at all, even the game developers.

This was me. I got platinum in the first couple weeks, and never really noticed anything amiss. I haven't gone back since they put out that patch, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I don't remember being frustrated at all with the aiming.

As far as the last boss of U3 is concerned: I think that a boss fight in a game of that type is a little weird anyhow. I preferred the running escape in U2 from Shangri-La as a climactic moment, rather than the Lazarevic fight. I think trying to make a human-on-human fight as a "boss fight" is a little silly, especially if you've been fighting humans the whole time. If you don't have a big boss monster or device or something then think of something else. A quick time fist fight against another dude just doesn't really have the same effect.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Did you just indicate that Darksiders was better than Zelda? I'm not even that big on recent Zelda's but...no.

I don't know that it makes it "better than Zelda" (mostly because that really depends on which Zelda games you're counting), but I can say this for sure: I'd rather play Darksiders than Twilight Princess. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet. I really liked Darksiders, though.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at Aug 2, 2012 around 22:57

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I won't argue that it wasn't deeply flawed in some significant ways. Making the re-watch/re-play comparison to a movie isn't fair, though. Cage advocated not replaying the game in order to preserve the 'integrity' (such as it is, anyhow) of the experience. When you replay the game, you can see all the 'rigging' and plot deviations and the 'game-ness' of it all. That's not exactly a problem movies have.

The more apt comparison would be of spoiling a magic trick diminishing it's impact. Not that I'm saying that Heavy Rain is magic, but I believe that's the sense Cage meant it in -- not "don't play my game more than once so you won't see how full of holes it is" (even if it is actually full of holes).

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs on PC (high res texture pack yay) and can confirm that it is indeed pretty awesome.

It's got a fairly distinctive environment (Hong Kong), memorable (if a little cartoony) characters, good voice acting, and the combat system is fairly satisfying. Lots of ambient stuff going on if you want to absorb it, and all collectables eventually show up on your map (so its not even a pain to track them all down). It's not over the top like SR:TT, but Wei is still a pretty cool dude. The game is just fun to play.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Remember that Director's Cut edition of Deadly Premonition that was announced for the PS3, then promptly went totally dark? It's still happening, evidently in Q1 2013.

From the blog:

quote:

Along with the original story and gameplay, there are some great new features, including HD graphics, an updated control system, a brand new scenario from the game’s director, Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro, and DLC to keep the mystery going once you complete the main campaign.

Supposedly there will be Move support as well, though its not mentioned in the PS Blog entry.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Is there anything that they are adding to not make the gameplay suck rear end? Everything from the combat to driving sucks but the story is decent.

I'm curious as to whether the "updated control system" mentioned in the PS Blog entry refers just to the inclusion of Move controls, or if they actually reworked the controls entirely. I suspect the former, though the latter sure would be nice.

They've certainly had plenty of time to work on it, especially considering the game is already pretty much out on the PS3 already. I have no idea what else they're doing, though, so who knows.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Gamespot has a 10 minute or so interview with Swery here. In the first minute he mentions that the controls will be updated to be more consistent with the standards for the genre. The 360 version was 720, this version will be 1080.

edit - Apparently they are working on making the map better as well, but are running into problems, so no promises.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2012 around 17:50

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

How on Earth is tying into a 6 year old movie that's only remembered for a dumb internet meme even remotely approaching clever.
I would imagine that the audience that is enthusiastic about God of War pre-orders probably overlaps at least somewhat with the audience that enjoyed 300. I can't imagine that any licensing involved was terribly expensive at this point, so why not? It fits the GoW universe really well (probably better than a lot of other options).

Besides, I actually enjoyed the movie for what it was. If you look at it from the perspective that its a story being told to other people (with all the embellishments and bravado and lack of actual historical accuracy that entails) and just go with it in all its goofy chest-thumping, it can be a fun movie. I'm not going to be pre-ordering this game regardless, but it's a partnership that makes sense.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

For the next week, the EU PSN is having a pretty sweet sale, most notably this:
Despite playing a whole bunch of the first game, my interest tapered quickly after finishing the main game and I never got properly into the DLC stuff, is this the case with BL2? Also I never played the game in co-op, is that more crucial in 2 or can you play through it solo without any problems?

Additionally the season pass has a similar sale: Was €29.99/£19.99/AU$39.95; now €14.99/£11.99/AU$21.95, additional 10% discount for Plus members. I forgot, does that mean every piece of DLC that is out there and will be out there for the game?

I don't have any experience with the PS3 version, but I can tell you I have 89 hours (and still going) in the PC version and every minute of that was solo. That's beating the game with two different characters. True Vault Hunter Mode (BL2's equivalent of NG+) is a little harder for me alone, but its not too bad. I do a lot of side quests so I've never really felt under leveled or disadvantaged by being by myself. You may not be able to do some of the raid boss stuff by yourself, and you may find that some particular loot is just not going to drop for you (more players means better chance for loot drops and certain enemy spawns), but that's a pretty small percentage of what the game has to offer.

The Season Pass includes four major content packs, each including a new area, new(ish) enemies (often twists on existing enemies, but some brand news ones as well), new raid bosses, new story, new loot, etc. The third of these content packs just came out yesterday, so there is one more yet to come. Each of these DLC is $10 each on their own -- not sure what that would be for you. The Season Pass will only include those four packs (Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty, Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, and the pack to come) and that's it. For what its worth, I enjoyed the first two DLC packs and I'm excited to dig into the third.

There are additional DLC options that are not included in the Season Pass, and those are:

- Mechromancer Pack - new player character, bringing the total to five. Tons of fun to play, in my opinion
- Creature Slaughterdome - five round arena against some creature type enemies with a rocket launcher as the prize
- Collector's Edition Pack - just skins and heads, not really worth it to me

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I might take the plunge. I did sink ungodly amounts of time into the first game after all and this seems to be more but better. Think I'll nab the season pass as well, all the DLC (even the new one) are on sale right now but they'll still be cheaper with the season pass. I'll be sure to avoid the arena stuff though, any kind of "one against waves of enemies" thing isn't for me.

I bought Far Cry 3 during a similar sale last month (for the same price) and despite going through it, in the end it left a bad taste in my mouth so I've been wary of rushing into deals like this but I did have a pretty good feeling about Borderlands 2.

I played the first Borderlands for about 30 or 40 hours, I think. Just one playthrough and I didn't play any of the DLC despite owning all of it through a share. I don't know why BL2 is hooking me more, but it definitely is. The humour is still super dumb but for some reason my dumb brain finds it hilarious (especially the barks from the enemies as they wander around or get killed), the guns are varied and they do a good job of making the different manufacturers feel different. The quests are a little samey (as with any game of the type) but they do a good job dynamically updating them and making jokes out of some of the objectives. I think Eurogamer's review probably captures the way I feel about the game about as well as any.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I don't think it "falls apart" at all. I just think that your choices are reflected in the tone of the story, rather than the events. The path itself doesn't split as much as some would like, but the path itself is wider, at least in the way you can experience the content on the path. Frankly I'm happier with that anyhow -- it means I'm not going to miss wide swaths of story (I rarely have time to replay games a bunch of times), and a smaller developer like Telltale can focus on creating a longer, better story rather than worrying about covering a dozen dozen branching paths. Even if we ended up in more or less the same place in TWD (and got there in more or less the same way), my experience of the game could still have been quite different than yours. (A phenomenon sharply displayed by the range of interactions people had with Kenny, and what they thought of him throughout.)

I may be the only person who doesn't go crazy over how awesome player choice is in general, though, so it could just be me.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

iastudent posted:

I think Guardians of Middle Earth is the fastest a game has gone from release to free for PS+ (two months). Wonder how the player base is at this point.

Stacking was free the day it released, wasn't it? If I recall it was a special offer and didn't last as long as the other offers, but it was still free day one.

- Oh well. That's what I get for having the tab open too long.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2013 around 15:12

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I would absolutely buy a little box that plugged into a PS4 that allowed for backwards compatibility, but only if it included PSN purchases as well. It's not like Sony hasn't already had that idea before. I think they are too all-in on this Gaikai stuff for that to happen here, though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm after a new game and not really sure what to get. Still having a go with the Metal Gear Rising demo and I'm not sure its what I want even if pretty much every game I've had has been a 3rd person action/shooter game of some kind. I've played the uncharted games, darksiders 1 and 2, infamous 1 and 2, dragons dogma, dark souls, sleeping dogs, the batman game, god of war 3. Any FPS games I get for the PC.

Saints Row? You can pick up The Saboteur super cheap these days.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Shalinor posted:

For those that don't follow the PS Store thread, this month's NA PS+ freebies are actually really good: Spec Ops, Disgaea 3 (PSP), The Cave, and Joe Danger 2: The Movie.

... and anyone with a Vita, I think even non-PS+ people: Sony is giving you a bunch of free games right now (Wild Arms PS1, Patapon PSP, Piyotama PSP, Patchwork Heroes PSP)

I never thought I would, but I'm starting to seriously consider picking up a Vita. Just knowing that starting Day One I'll already have a big library of games (including Disgaea 3, woo) to play with is really tempting. Then there's all that PS4 stuff...

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

The crazy thing about Journey for me was that I thought I had one partner throughout the game, but as it turned out it was actually more like five.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Which is probably at least part of the reason

ImpAtom posted:

a new GoW came out and nobody seems to care.

Of course there are other issues like the formula being well-worn at this point and GoW3 not lighting the world on fire (at least not outside the game) and GoW3 finishing the franchise etc etc. It's too bad -- I have platinum trophies in all three PS3 native GoWs, but really haven't been terribly psyched for this one. I'll probably pick it up cheaper later.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Karthe posted:

I've started playing Sleeping Dogs' Nightmare in North Point DLC and enjoyed how straight-faced the game handled the fact that Hong Kong was suddenly invaded by the undead. Is Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare anything like that? I played the hell out of RDR when it first came out, but skipped out on UN when it came out because I thought it was just going to be some stupid, overpriced couple-hours-long story mission.

I think its fair to say that if you like Nightmare in North Point and you like RDR, you'll really like Undead Nightmare. It's got the same "alternate universe" vibe to it that North Point does. I wouldn't say its quite as 'straight faced', but Marsten handles it all in pretty much the same way he handles everything: getting down to business but shaking his head the entire time. It brings back a lot of characters from the main game and puts them into some interesting situations.

I don't remember exactly how long it is except to say that it is in fact plenty long. There's a large amount of content there, and you'll end up spending time in all the regions you visited in the main game. I didn't really enjoy the 'taking the town back from zombies' mechanic (especially how it wasn't permanent and they would re-take the town eventually), but that's the only criticism I have with it.

Man, I should really play RDR again.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

Guacamelee is clocking an 89 out of 11 critics reviews on Metacritic so far. (granted, some of those review sites are place I've never loving heard of, but places like IGN and Polygon have checked in, clocking 90's.)

Alex from Giant Bomb has it at 4/5, the Shacknews review was pretty happy with it as well. I was already pretty close to grabbing this on the strength of the Tales from Space games, but I think this cinches it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I hear the trophy/achievement argument often when it comes to the decline of cheats but I don't buy it. There are plenty of games that just turn off trophies when you activate any kind of cheat. It seems pretty simple/straightforward.

If I were to guess, it's more due to DLC and testing. Why would anyone want to buy game breaking guns/armor/powers/whatever for $1.49 if they could just pop God Mode on? You can get around it by having the weapons do crazy things (like some of the Saints Row The Third DLC) or look super cool but not everyone is going to go there, especially if your game is big on realism. I'm think of DLC for games like Dead Space 2, Dead Rising 2, etc.

Alternatively I don't think some devs have the time/money/inclination to test everything with super duper cheats of various sorts enabled. Sure, you could say 'buyer beware' on that kind of thing, but if it causes the game to crash like crazy or the level geometry to flip out or breaks all the scripting you can be sure that videos of your broken game will be all over YouTube anyhow. All the animated gifs posted on message boards probably won't have the disclaimer that optional untested cheats were used.

More on topic, I think that in a lot of cases the easiest mode for many recent games is usually designed for the person who just wants to experience things without a challenge. Look for settings like aim assist, auto aim, etc.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Harlock posted:

We're getting a free to play Gladiator combat game next week called Spartacus Legends.

If it has any sort of progression/stats/equipment I'm sold. Gladiator sims (is that even a genre?) are some of my favorites.

I would buy the game twice if they included a Batiatus sound board. (Link is probably no matter where you work.)

I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's not the case, though. Once again the gods spread the cheeks to ram cock in loving rear end.

(Spartacus is a pretty great show, FYI. No idea about the game.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So, as someone that just got their first PS3, I have a couple questions that are kind of time-sensitive:

1) I'd like to play Little Big Planet. Should I just get 2, or both, or just 1?

You can probably just get LBP 2. If you really like it, grab LBP 1 and run through it too. There aren't as many bells and whistles to it, but it's similar enough and you can import all the goodies you earn (costumes -- including the sweet rear end dinosaur costume -- stickers, etc.) back in to LBP 2. LBP 2 does everything the first one did, but more and better.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I see people mention that one quest a lot when it comes to BL2, and I just don't get the problem with it. The whole point of that quest is the 'bonerfarts' is the stupidest possible name that Hammerlock could come up with, not that it's a super funny lolrandom name. It doesn't just 'throw it you as the name of a monster', it's part of a longer joke then it's gone.

edit - I can see where the joke as a whole might not be super funny to some people, but its more than just the dumb name. Ultimately it's one joke in a game with almost as many jokes as guns. Some are funny, some are not, and some barely warrant a groan. I just really enjoyed BL2 and don't understand how some people can just dismiss it as a lolrandom meme machine. There is some of that, but there is more too.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at Jul 8, 2013 around 15:02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Apparently my timing isn't great because I just missed a PSN sale on all things LBP, but what would be my best jumping in point for the series? Does LBP2 make LBP1 redundant?

More or less. It's more and better of pretty much everything LBP1 was. That said, if it turns out you really like LBP2, get LBP1 anyhow. It is still a fun story and, most importantly, you can bring all the costumes, stickers, etc from LBP1 into LBP2 -- so it makes your LBP2 better in the bargain. It's also been free/a controller pack in for so long that you can get LBP1 for super duper cheap, so its worth it even as an expansion pack.

LBP Vita is pretty great and does all kinds of new things that you just can't do on the console versions. I recommend it. To be clear: LBP Vita isn't a port of either console game, it is an entirely separate game.

I'd say, pick up LBP2 for sure. If you like it, look at LBP1 for more stuff and LBP Vita as a cool rear end game to play on the go.