Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Krad posted:

The battles were sort of broken but overall it was a fun game, kinda?

Question: how painful is it to play RE Chronicles HD without a move? I'll probably get one eventually but not right now.

Well, it's a lightgun game. Did you ever play Lethal Enforcers on the SNES with a gamepad? It's not very fun. At that point you might as well just watch it on Youtube or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Not have the player input involve shooting thousands of people? It's especially relevant in Spec Ops as the entire "gimmick" of the game was that this was supposed to be really serious and make you care about the people caught in the middle and all this other nonsense. Even in the demo it's like "drat, I thought we were supposed to be rescuing people." *blows away like twenty unidentified people* I mean armed or not the game doesn't even TRY.

There are dozens of games that balanced story versus player input just fine. It's an issue unique to shooters and Rockstar's open world games because in our currently Hollywood-inspired industry, everything has to have a story instead of just games that would benefit from it. Something like Spec Ops could benefit from it, but not when the game is just a Gears clone, if it added anything else to the game like some civilian interaction or just some basic walking around the setting talking/doing stuff other than shooting people it would make a huge difference.

Like Samurai Sanders said, Saints Row 2 is an open world game that handles this just fine. There are plenty of others of all genres, it's a problem with shooters because no matter how much story and "moral dilemma" they put in the only way to interact with the game world is "shoot guys." It happens with Rockstar's games because they're hung up on being super serious just like a real movie guys honest while still keeping the game play from previous games

That's the key right there. It's such a weird paradigm when you think about it, because it's not actually hard to put in more quiet moments, more parts where you run around and talk to people, more parts that aren't just "enter arena filled knee-high walls and five waves of enemies". That's like 90% of Spec Ops and the remaining 10% is really cool. Would it have been so difficult to make it 60/40, even? Would it have destroyed your press cycle, where everything has to be blowing up constantly? Give me a break.

It's like modern shooters are sociopathic killers that don't know how to interact with anything except by hurting it.

It also makes me realize just how useless previews are, considering they all focused on sand dynamics and moral choices when they only ever come up a handful of times during the game.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 28, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

...! posted:

Absolutely do not buy it until all the episodes are released. The episodes were supposed to be monthly, but "monthly" has become "it'll be released when it's released" without much (if any) explanation. If all the episodes are released before 2013 I'll be surprised.

Er, it's still monthly insofar as the first one was in May, the second in June. Telltale has done 1.5 month releases before and they have never broken schedule. I don't see why they would now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I still haven't finished AC2 but I get the impression you can skip Revelations.

You totally can, since mostly all it does is fill in the blanks about what happened to Altair after 1, which in itself is hardly even important to the overall narrative at this point. There are some tangential Desmond bits, but they're nothing that can't be explained in one sentence in the intro of AC3.

Regardless, I recommend everyone skip Revelations. It's not a bad game, but it really soured me on the series, since there's absolutely nothing new or interesting going on it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't think that's fair. Revelations was still a drat good game, and you should play it if only to experience the finale of Ezio's story.

You don't experience it, though. Unless you buy the collector's edition which has that godawful CG animated movie that features the actual finale of Ezio's story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

With that "pay to boost your stats" thing, I'm really surprised they didn't put it out on iOS first.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

So apparently Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle is a thing and is being developed by Namco exclusively for the PS3. I never played the Dreamcast Jojo game, but always wanted to since it looked pretty bizarre and was apparently a cult classic? Anybody here play it?

Yeah, it's one of the more colourful and (excuse me) bizarre fighters out there. I don't think it's a great game, but it is magnificent fanservice if you're at all familiar with the manga. There is a TON of detail in there and it both looks and sounds incredible.

I at least trust CyberConnect2 to make a pretty decent anime game, so if nothing else, it should be really loving crazy and spectacular to look at.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm up to chapter 13 in Uncharted 1, how much longer do I have?

I loving hate the combat.

Can I use a keyboard/mouse with this somehow? TPS games are so much more accurate with a mouse.

Honestly, if you loving hate the combat in Uncharted, just stop now. It gets better in 2, but there are still a bunch of boring combat-heavy sections and 3 goes back to being just as bad as 1.

I like the Uncharted games for a several reasons, but combat is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

second-hand smegma posted:

I love UC3. It's a very divisive game though, for whatever reason. I take that as a sign that the PS3 library is literally overflowing with good games now. One of the reasons I think UC2 is remembered so fondly is because before it released the PS3 didn't really have a system seller (MGS4:jerkoff:). It's funny to me how people forget UC2's problems when talking about the series (very limited multiplayer, dumbed down melee, terrible stealth sections, invincible blue people). I think they're all great games for what it's worth.

I didn't forget UC2's problems (I think most of the late game combat encounters are total poo poo), but I still think it's a much stronger game than 3 in pretty much every way (I played the two back-to-back when 3 came out). 3 has some high points (the desert), but it's just not as memorable or as interesting in general and it reuses the same tricks far too often.

I didn't play it with the changed aiming, though (which they added in a patch later, for the record), so I might have a better experience with that. As is, I'd go so far as to say I did not like the majority of 3 whatsoever and honestly thought it was pretty lame overall.

I'm sorry, but the giant underground Tibetan clockwork levels alone > all of UC3.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 19, 2012

• Locked thread