Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sucaballuc posted:

I never played RE 1 or 3. Might give them a whirl, seeing they're free. RE4 & CV on the cheap might be worth a second go-around too.

Hope you like tank controls and missing at point-blank range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man I can't wait to buy those games again. I am not even being sarcastic.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I broke down and bought From Dust today. I'm really glad I did, the world is gorgeous and the puzzles so far are a nice balance of planning and speedy execution. God games just hit a sweet spot for me and there hasn't been anything like this in a while.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Feenix posted:

In PSN-download news, I wanted to briefly touch on From Dust and Renegade Ops:

From Dust is slow, calm, and yet can be very frustrating. I found the SECOND level to require about 6 restarts before I kindof got the general idea. Then I got to the 3rd or 4th level, (the first with Lava) and I ended up playing that stage over 90 minutes (not from dying) just because it was a battle between getting 100% palm tree population, and lava catching my trees and villages on fire from time to time.

It's a neat game that I will EMPHATICALLY say is not for everyone. I'm not even sure it's for *me*. But I so far kindof dig it.

I eventually gave up on that one once I figured out that the lava had built up so much land that there was nothing I could do to stop the palms from constantly catching on fire. That was late last night and finishing it today with 100% growth should be a snap. There's a fairly sizable trial-and-error element to the game.

On that note, I seem to be terrible at building walls with lava. Whenever I plunk some down it melts what's already there. I think the trick is to make huge pyramidal mounds, not steep walls, but that's going to be time consuming...

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Feenix posted:

Strikes me as a game that's initially hard, but as you start to think 'physically' the game opens up and becomes easier for you. For the lava on that one active mountain, I sorta built a little ridge/wall thing that made it flow outward to the water on the right. (if you were facing it.) Still my trees caught fire occasionally. Not much you can do about that. Least the sand stays and they grow back.

Once it told me about quick-dumping what you were holding, things got a little better in terms of building.

Jellifying Water seems weird. I get that you get that time and can do what you need to, (maybe have people pass an area without being swept away, but so far I haven't found a good use for it overall.

I actually attempted to build a wall on the volcano (wallcano) too, but by that point the flow had already made a bridge to the first village so it didn't really help. Next time I'll probably do that right away so they stay safe.

Also, I agree that jellifying water seems somewhat useless. But I also think that I tend to play too "long term" - my people aren't staying on this island, we're just here for the passage.

The tiny bits of story are very nicely written and provide a lot of motivation to 100% each level. I have a feeling that that will become very difficult before the end, though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played Deus Ex HR a whole bunch more yesterday and I still have a weird kind of problem with it. I find myself crouching literally 95% of the time, but crouching isn't the default behavior. There are lots of things you can do that forces Jensen to stand up, and then you have to quickly re-crouch him again afterwards unless you want to be spotted. In true cover shooter fashion, every environment is entirely filled with hip-high obstacles to hide behind. The game was designed to so thoroughly discourage standing up, it makes me wonder why it even has a stand up function at all, much less why it is the default.

edit: MGS got it right, snake automatically moves with a low posture, like a commando kinda guy should. Jensen runs with his body straight vertical like an idiot.

I somewhat agree, but I think you're forgetting that a lot of the game can be played pretty 'straight'. If you're bullshitting your way through, it makes more sense to casually stroll past the guards with weapons holstered (or sprint invisibly past with magic silent legs).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bat duck posted:

I wish all developers would ruin my game for me after I just bought it from them.

This is probably the exact opposite of ruining for the type of people who play this game. I bet early players are cumming in their pants over this.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rndm posted:

Anyone else hooked on From Dust? I'm really liking it, reminds me of old school strategy games on the PC.

I finished the main story for the first time last week, and I'm going to start the challenge maps tonight. Beautiful game, slightly flawed, but far and away the best offering the genre has seen in quite a while.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

It would be really bad if you blew the range and only took down one of them right? Since eiher one or two takedowns both consume one battery, right?

Considering you can freeze time to gobble a candy bar, this wouldn't be the end of the world, you'd just waste a battery.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Half-Life cutscenes

Maybe I'm a big babby idiot but I actually like the way HL did its cutscenes. You don't get to put down your 'controller', the action stops in a way that makes sense considering you're basically an MIT physicist having a really bad day, and the voice and facial animations are quite good. So I don't really get it, but YMMV.

That being said, no reason at all you shouldn't be able to skip them. I'm with you there.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Because you're not a MIT physicist having a really bad day. You're a mute who is incapable of communicating and has no impact whatsoever on the cutscenes. (As shown by the fact that you can go off and throw things at wall for the entirety of the cutscene and it continues on without caring.) Everyone in the Half-Life cutscenes talks at one another and occasionally 'at' you.

It's no different from any other cutscene except you can throw poo poo at a wall while the characters pretend you're following the script and it's longer and unskippable. HL2 is a LOT worse about this then HL1 to be fair.

As a person who plays story-driven games at most 2, maybe 3 times, this has never felt like a huge problem for me. Clearly some people are bothered more by it, and I understand their complaints, but I for one thought that HL did a good job of making the (admittedly mute) player character feel like they weren't being forcibly removed from playing the game, even when the only thing happening was exposition. If the NPCs ignore you throwing a chair at a wall for five minutes, it's just because they know Gordon is a little :downs: and they have more important things to do. There's no reason to accommodate a player loving up a cutscene, IMHO, except for allowing them to skip it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Would I be alone in saying Super Stardust HD is a pretty frustrating game, and not in a fun way? The trophies are bullshit and the game has too much poo poo going on that you can't follow it all and holy gently caress does it tire my eyes out.

Boost more. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but I absolutely love SSDHD.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If you're having trouble with Stardust, don't be afraid to spin the fire stick wildly around. Your bullets, all kinds, have a pretty strong repulsive effect against everything except pink bullets. If you know there are shooting enemies, spam your flamethrower in a circle to fend off asteroids while you pick off the shooters. That way, you can focus on dodging bullets and no rocks will touch you.

Also, boost. A lot. Like, every time you can.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rakanakle posted:

My problem with Infamous is that I felt like I was moving in mud compared to Prototype.

Ditto, Cole takes waaay too long to get from place to place unless there are train tracks around. Although, I have not played Infamous 2 yet. Is that fixed at all?

ColdCock posted:

I picked up Dead Space for 15 bones last night only to realize I was a complete moron for not playing it way back when it came out. What an amazing game!

Is Dead Space 2 anywhere near as good? I can snag it for $20.

It's a solid game but considerably different from DS1. More action-y and a lot of the tension is replaced with hordes. Also, you talk.

Maybe see if you can find a used copy for less than 20.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

axleblaze posted:

IMO, DS2 is way better than the first. It loses steam at the end but the highlights of that game are incredible. To me it was almost an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 like difference. Not quite that great but man is it good. It also has one of my favorite/least favorite enemies in any game. They're so loving annoying but any scene with them is awesome.

I think DS2 may have been a better game in many ways, but for me at least DS1 was a better experience.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

J posted:

Not sure if you were already aware by your wording, but they are doing exactly this - Red Dead Redemption GOTY edition, on Oct 11th. Has the game + all the DLC packs.

As someone who only played through the vanilla game, once, this looks incredible. Day one re-purchase.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the truth posted:

Save yourself the money and just buy UDN. The rest is multiplayer, which isn't too active or fun (unless doing free roam with a small group of friends).

I would do this, except my original disc now belongs to a hateful ex. I'd like to play the original campaign again and the sweet extras seal the deal.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm really enjoying Ico so far, considering I missed it the first time around. However, there seems to be a shitload of 'ghosting', especially when I'm moving the camera around. Is this normal, and/or is there something I can do about it? I never get motion sickness but this starts to get to me after a while. Does SotC have this problem too?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

...! posted:

Hey everyone, don't forget that the free Portal 2 DLC is out today!

Neato, I would definitely have missed this, I never look at the PSN thingies.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

You can level after you beat the first level.

Is that ALL of world 1, or just the first boss? I never really got into Demons Sould because I couldn't get past Tower Knight because I'm horrible at that game and mostly couldn't be arsed to figure it out.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The new SSX game cannot get here soon enough. There has never been anything like that series, and it's the thing I miss the absolute most about my long-dead PS2.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gently caress Demon's Souls. I've given it two solid chances now, and I absolutely hate this game. I constantly see people in here lauding it for being 'fair' but gently caress THAT there is nothing fair about this game*. Arrows that curve towards me mid-air, enemies that break their own animations to hit me, a completely retarded and obtuse system of icons for every possible stat... This is straight bullshit. I'm not even selling this game, I'm going to hoard this copy forever, because no one should play this, ever.

*I'm not talking about how the trash enemies can kill you. I actually like that. What is broken and anti-fun is the way the game CHEATS to gently caress you. It can't stand on its own legs so it has to bend the rules. That's bad design.

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 24, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm talking about how the basic skeleton guys from 1-1 can launch their powerful attack, and then they get about five seconds in which they can instantly snap into hitting me. There is literally no animation in between "I just attacked" and "dealing damage to Chard". Maybe my game is borked or something; it's jerky as hell where every other action is smooth. Also, arrows absolutely track, you can see it quite plainly.

And I didn't walk in blind, I expected this game to be hard, brutally hard. Hard I can handle, but when things are designed to gently caress you just because, that's bad design. Learning patterns is fine if those patterns actually loving hold each time, but they straight don't and I'm done. Enjoy it if you can, I guess.

e: First time I got all the way to Tower Knight with a Soldier, this weekend I tried Temple Knight and Hunter, both of which I liked more but still not enough to redeem this poo poo heap.

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 24, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

They do a jumping lunge after which they have a rest state that, if I go in range, does instant damage. I'm blocking or dodging the first one, and not attacking. It can penetrate my guard.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm not an idiot, I have my shield up, it just does nothing. It's a moot point - I'm not enjoying it and I remember from before what I have to look forwards to. Thought I'd give it another shot to make sure of my opinion. I posted because I was irked how often people call it 'fair' when I would disagree with that label.

"Your Mileage May Vary: The Game"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The character creator was awesome, so awesome, and I'm sure the new one is going to be even more absurd. I hope they get one, maybe two more voice options, but I know that gets expensive.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Match the symbols in sequence to drink JD and sob!

If you fail you have to drink MD 20/20 instead.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Undead Zombie posted:

There is a bug in the game that you could have used.

When the boss goes over a wall to reach you, there is a small vulnerability period that lets you use the takedown button to instant kill him. When he is at the top of the wall, press the takedown button.

Video of this. Obviously, spoilers for the third boss in Deus Ex.

:aaaaa: That's awesome, and I think that's not a glitch. The cutscene right after has you standing exactly there, and doing the same thing to him again. I think they designed it that way.

I said come in! posted:

Have you guys seen the GTA V trailer yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs I can't wait for this, the game world looks incredible.

Hell yessssssss.

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 2, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

About a week ago I posted about how much I hated Demon's Souls, etc. etc. Beat it tonight and I'm buying Dark Souls tomorrow.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

I was thinking too about features the game could've benefited from. I really wish there was a "knock" button like MGS. I know, I can just shoot a tranq round or silenced shot and the guards will go investigate, but I really wish there was just a "slide up against the wall, hit square to knock" "Huh? What was that noise?" function.

This, a thousand times this. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't include that in a game that you can play through like 97% of as an invisible ghost/assassin.

e: It wouldn't even have to be so low-tech, how about a voice-altering aug so you can sound like a commander and yell out misleading orders?

vvvv You're missing the point :colbert:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gatts posted:

If you have played Skyrim and Dark Souls, which one would you recommend?

This has been getting a lot of debate in the Dark Souls thread, and the consensus seems to be "apples and oranges." They're both great but verrrrry different.

That being said, I have not played Skyrim and don't plan to, Oblivion sucked in my opinion and Bethesda games in general feel like... walking through a painting. I'm the only living thing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dark Souls is fantastic, but you can pick up the 'spiritual predecessor' Demon's Souls for like 15-20 bucks these days. The gameplay is nearly identical to Dark, it still has a strong online community, and you don't have to drop new-game money on something you very well may hate.

Anecdote: I bought Demon's Souls and went in blind. I got utterly destroyed. Literally everything was killing me, no matter what I did. It seemed hopeless, and I gave up and stuck it on my shelf for months. Then when I busted it back out, and died some more, and more, until I finally beat the first boss... well, let's just say I'm posting this, now. Great games.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

One last comment on DSouls - don't be afraid to trash your first character. It's a nigh-vertical learning curve and you can (as I did) completely gimp yourself by leveling 'wrong' for how you want to play. Not irrevocably, but to the point that it become unfun to fix. Invest yourself in a character and finish the game after you learn which way is up.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sorry if someone already posted this, but here's some news about the upcoming SSX title: http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/games/ssx-its-kinda-tricky

That piece mainly focuses on the return of the Run DMC remixes, but there's a sweet new video that shows off the Tricky side of the game. Looks like everything is as ridiculous as ever, all on top of the new descent modes.

This has been one of my favorite franchises since the first one, and now it has a Feb 2012 release date. Huzzah!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MGR spoiler: you transform into Jehuty and Old Snake pilots you into the White House to kill a computer that controls the world's food supply.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Mass Effect 3: Holy poo poo Edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q10u2SIQ4pw

Wow, so the demo they chose was literally, "Run in a straight line and hit button to trigger cutscene"? I've never been a huge fan of the Mass Effect series but that was just laughable.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What if it was like a siamese twin snake? Cloning process gone horribly wrong. And it would be a co-op only online game.

I'm imagining some kind of horrible QWOP type scenario where one person moves and one aims, and items and weapon select are also split, and all lag is minimum 300.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SamBishop and Parkingtigers posted:

Glowing praise for Rocksmith

This sounds exactly like what I need to finally get it together and learn an instrument. Rhythm games never did it for me, but translating that into an actual skill? Hell yes.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just read that the SSX reboot coming in February will allow custom music libraries via the harddrive in the PS3, complete with dynamic environment effects. Fuuuuuuuck yeeeeeaeaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't know about remixing (that WOULD be awesome), but your music will behave the same as the in-game, i.e. fading out when you catch big air and slamming back in when you land, skipping and jumping while you grind, etc.

I've been waiting so long for a proper SSX reboot, and this really looks like It.

• Locked thread