Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Leyburn posted:

I grabbed Grandia off the PSN

I'm about an hour in and starting to think I might have made a terrible, terrible mistake.

The graphics and voice acting really won't have aged well and are pretty vapid, but persevere until the battle system opens up to you properly and bear in mind that absolutely nothing like it existed back when it came out. Turn-based battle systems that took into account the distance between enemies, that let you cancel their turns if you planned well, and that let you control your position to a fair degree are still tremendously rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's not a Deus Ex game unless you're stealing everything belonging to your coworkers and any member of the public within fifty miles.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Since I'm done with DX for the moment and Disgaea 4 isn't out here for a month and a half (:argh:) I restarted Atelier Rorona to try to finish it properly and get myself stoked for the sequel. Somehow, I've entered some magical zen of anime shop tending; I'm barely finished with the first year of three and half the town is at maxed out trust. I blame all that time training on Reccetear.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Motherfuck. I need to read a guide because i'm doing so poorly with trus levels, and i keep defaulting on friend quests because i can't find high quality items.

Roughly speaking:

- After you establish an initial float of cash, only take jobs from Etsy where you either have a ton of the item in question or where you can buy the item ready-made in town and finish the job that day. You won't make much profit but you'll make enough. Her jobs change daily so take every opportunity to clear out the list.

- Once you can get away with it, start buying up Quality Water/Salt/Flour from the shops so you have a stockpile of about 20 for the salt and flour and 40 for the water. It'll ramp up the quality of stuff you make, and I was having real problems until I started doing this, which might be your issue.

- Be kind of picky about which friend quests you take on. Sterk constantly asks for awkward bullshit like Cannons or Bombs way ahead of when you can easily make them or which are always a pain and a half to make. Otherwise, a surprising amount of requests involve ingredients just lying around shops, provided you use higher quality options whenever possible. If in doubt just don't accept the quest until you have the items - only defaulting on a quest will lose you rep.

- Scribble down what's available at the stores, and at what quality. Only keep stuff in dungeons that's either not available or that trumps this or that has very beneficial effects, and you'll get more use out of each dungeon run. (Quality+, mostly.) Be prepared to run the Wolf Habitat a billion goddamn times for all the Eicheloa you can carry.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Also, it amuses me greatly that the top fives for various countries are all CoD's and Deus Ex and Fifa etc and i'm still playing girly alchemy games.

That economic takeover isn't going to accomplish itself. :colbert: Unfortunately, Atelier Totori looks like it's mostly only going to be online release in the UK - i.e. the major chains probably aren't going to send any copies to physical stores and just sell them from website. It's a habit which is rapidly getting right on my nerves; the manager of my local store is a games buff with similar tastes to mine and I enjoy shooting the poo poo with him as I poke through shelves rather than just waiting on a package.

rargh I am a games luddite gently caress progress how dare they not cater to my tastes etc :goonsay:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So WKC2 is now out in the US, meaning I might finally get some decent drop guides. El Shaddai is now out in Europe so I can go grab it from PSN, and Dead Island has just been downloading on Steam.

I'm not sure which quirky-rear end game to try first.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

WTF El Shaddai is digital in Europe?

I actually have no idea, I just kind of assumed since I didn't get to the shops today. Was busy beating zombie heads in.

Just checked and it isn't. Have to hit the shops tomorrow, I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure I spent the entire drat game swimming in Machine Pistol ammo. It might just be confirmation bias, because I didn't use one and had to constantly throw ammo out of my inventory, but it just never let up.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I already mentioned this stuff in the previous thread, but basically, WKC2 changes:

- Slightly faster attack speed due to a change in how the timebar works.
- More moves, and skill trees are reworked so you can't just rush statup skills.
- Free respec up to level 35.
- Some legitimately tough areas to try to slog your way through.
- Some legitimately tough areas to try to slog your way through with a fixed party and also you can't leave.
- Time travel woooooo.
- A fuckton of sidequests, from collection to talking to people to normal mob killing to special boss mob killing. Give masses of gold, equipment, and ingredients, unlock some special moves or georama dudes, and actually give you stuff to do in the SP campaign that isn't just rush the plot. This is one of the few things WKC2 really did right to fix some stuff.
- Substantially more guild quests in the roster, though the later ones are very expensive. Didn't really do much multiplayer yet, what with it being UK only up until now.

It still eventually gets really, really dull to slog through the single player game in general, the battle system still doesn't tell you anything as to how effective given choices are, NPCs still don't understand how Provoke works, and the plot is incredibly trite. You have to like RPGs to enjoy it. It's not even a Neptunia/Agarest-style trainwreck, it just gets so boring.

That said, I could spend goddamn hours building my custom village and placing everything. I just wish it was less WKC2 and more Dark Cloud 3.

tooooooo bad posted:

I can't find a menu option to do the online stuff, I guess it's only in the real WKC2?

You have to buy guild quests from the guild - these unlock a ways into the game - and then you choose the guild quest from the world map. Alternatively you go to your Georama once unlocked and poke the bulletin boards. It's doable in the first game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, $10 or maybe $20 is what I'd pay for it. That sounds okay!

I'll agree, doubly so in the case of the sequel. As much as I harp about it being boring if you're the sort of person to be OCD about sidequests and don't mind playing while watching TV on your computer or something, there's a lot of actual gameplay time to get out of it.

I guess I should go re-establish my shop and see where my savegame's at.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mashing X is a kind of gameplay. It worked for Dragon Age 2.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

And sorry, I'm totally not just picking on you. It seems to be a mindset these days.

I think it's a little too far in the other direction to say that playing a bad game is literally pissing your life away like a ticking clock, but I do see your point.

At the same time, though, I love playing RPGs in general, I like having a game around to effectively idle on while I'm watching something else, and I like loving around with stats and skill builds and georama building and crap like that. I'd played the original and was actively curious as to how far their 'total reworking' went, so I tried it out. It's mediocre, sure, but does have some good points buried in there, and if anyone's going to trip report it it might as well be the guy who admits to liking bad RPGs.

(Full disclosure: I stopped playing it the instant the next game I wanted to try came along. Unfortunately that was Dungeon Siege 3 so it was out of the frying pan of unsatisfactory games and into the fire.)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Have you played Progress Quest? It's kind of like that except that you don't even have to push a button.

Yeah, but then I don't get increasingly cool-looking swords unless I use my imagination, and who does that anymore?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

One thing I need to know about WKC2: Do skill descriptions go into more depth than "Hits enemies"? Like, do they talk about how much damage they do?

Not even a little.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ahahah. WKC2 has gone full micropayment-MMO; PSN is now selling 'increases experence/drop rates/gold rates for 30 days!' items. I'm not sure how that even works if you want to buy a second one.

e: Oh, what, I've just noticed they were day 0 releases on the US PSN. If you're going to finally release a game two months ahead of the US, couldn't you at least support it properly? :argh:

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 24, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

Should I go get the HD collection tomorrow?

Yes. There are flaws in the gameplay here and there, but both games are absolutely seminal and really, really worth playing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Got a hold of Atelier Totori ahead of US goons, thanks to shipping issues; I've dumped some first impressions here in the RPG thread.

Short version: 'holy poo poo I can spend days like water now, aaaaa'.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

modig posted:

Does anybody have the PS3 version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

I had no problems with the PS3 version whatsoever. It's not a fast and frenetic shoot-em-up if you're playing it even vaguely stealthily, so rapid fine-tune aiming isn't that necessary.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sales tax on the UK copy of Dark Souls is £6.66.

I still don't get it until Thurs. at the earliest though. :(

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Of course in the UK we don't have an equivelant to Gamestop who will probably try to pass off second hand titles as brand new

On the other hand, I bet CEX is pissed about this.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Decided to prepare by reading the manual, something I never do.

Reading manuals is good and proper, and more people should do it. I'm all for anything that makes gamers at large not look like Giantbomb Quick Looks.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I wouldn't even say the plot's very anime. It's more laid out like a set of shakespearian fables or plays. There's a lot of mooning around on a balcony soliloquizing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Sky Odyssey

This is still one of my favorite PS2 games. Every so often I fire it up and bomb as fast as I can down collapsing cavern systems and rocket through canyons sideways. I still remember the rush of 'haha yessssssssss' when I stalled into a point-blank landing on the strip mine level.

I'm super stoked for Ring of Red, that was a fantastic game. Honestly, between Arc the Lad 1 + 2 and pretty much all of those PS2 games, I'm going to need to source a whole bunch of PSN points for my US account.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As I recall, Royal actually tended to be one of the better ones to start with as a new player just for the ring you got.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Looked at the nice shiny UK Dark Souls hardback guide in the shops today. The back page told me it contained all the sidequest information for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Good job, guys.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

If a guard spots you, I think you're okay, but he'll yell really loud and somebody will immediately run and set off an alarm, so it's best to just avoid ever being seen altogether and not having to worry about it.

Bear in mind you can hack alarm panels to permanently prevent them from being used to help mitigate this slightly. I only found this out about halfway through the game - since you couldn't hack the ones in the original Deus Ex, I thought that would still apply.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Also uhhh someone give me some strategy about the first boss.

I did him by EMPing him immediately, hiding behind pillars, and throwing gas cans at him... but quite honestly, with hindsight, my strategy for every single DX boss would be 'hit the Tempest button twice'.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, my bad. All I could remember is it involved wind metaphors and poo poo flying everywhere.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

whip posted:

Where the Tekken fans at!?? (TTT2 :) )

I've always preferred the '3d fighters' like Tekken and Soulcalibur to the traditional ones and I can't wait for either. Just hunting Youtube for the soundtrack is enough to get me seriously pumped.

TTT2 had better have more excellent endings.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

Now I feel like I missed out. I've always loved the Tekken cinematics. I would almost buy the original for these.

That one's actually straight out of Tekken 6. Every time I see it it reminds me to go back and finish off arcade mode with everyone else, but I never find the time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Behonkiss posted:

So does Arcade mode in 6 actually give you the traditional goofy endings?

Oh, yeah, just go turfing through Youtube and you'll turn up a ton of fun ones, many of which involve various members of the Mishima family ejecting other members of the Mishima family into space, or Lee just sitting in the background giving hearty thumbs ups, or Paul/Law/Steve being idiots.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pyruvate posted:

Yakuza 4 question: when I use a HEAT action on someone when I have a weapon, there's often a QTE that I keep missing. Do I just need to hammer on the button or what?

If it's one where you're repeatedly beating someone over the head, and the button doesn't have a timebar around it, then yes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm pretty certain UK game stores are now actively allergic to having RPGs anywhere in them - I tried to get Disgaea 4 today only to be told that Game and Gamestation, pretty much the two major game chains, aren't going to be stocking it outside of their mail order sites. I can understand doing that for something like Agarest or Neptunia or other dodgier titles, but Disgaea?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure that the reason for non-Bioware/Bethesda RPGs practically disappearing from shelves isn't 'Hurr durr animus', and more the fact that sales from folks walking in off the street have most likely dwindled in stores to the point where it's not worth even stocking them - niche items sell plenty well online, anyway.

If anything, that was where I was surprised - I would have thought they'd expect reasonable levels of sale from an established IP, at least. Did D3 do that badly?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Back in April or so, the old thread had links to $20 and $50 US PSN cards on Amazon that would just instantly send you the code, no having to wait for the card to be delivered. Unfortunately, the links don't work anymore and I can't find new versions (all products I find are marked 'unavailable').

Did they just outright stop selling them that way? If not, anyone got a link? If so, can I get one if I don't have a US credit card but do have a Paypal?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

How suitable is Skyrim for consoles over PC? Everyone's saying it owns so I really am incredibly tempted to pick it up, but then I won't be able to follow my Elder Scrolls tradition of modding it to death later on. My poor PC badly needs an upgrade, or I'd go straight to the PC version.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks all. I know it was kind of a dumb question to ask in a PS3 specific thread, but enough RPGs have jumped the fence entirely - I can't imagine playing Dungeon Siege 3 or Dragon Age 2 with a mouse - that I figured I'd check if anyone had experience with both.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think Dark Souls can only get away with their save system because the game makes dying and restarting a vital component of the gameplay, and because it has a series of checkpoints it can benchmark your progress on. It wouldn't work at all in an open world with persistent deaths, people would lambast them for the lack of manual save.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Y'know...it is possible to have a game that constantly autosaves AND has the option to manually save.

It is! But my point is that Dark Souls can do it silently and unobtrusively because it has significantly less to keep track of than Skyrim. Dark Souls cares about the bonfire you saved at, your character status and inventory, and your flags for events / bosses / non-random pickups. It doesn't need to remember anything else because it literally tells you the rest of the world gets reset when you hit up a bonfire. Skyrim cares about the location of drat near everything and anyone in the world, and that just wouldn't work for a background autosave.

Yodzilla posted:

There is? I haven't seen this happen at all in Skyrim, Oblivion, or any of the Fallouts.

In Oblivion, it would happen if you put your stuff inside containers, because every couple weeks they'd spawn new things. If you just dumped it on the ground, you were good.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

For all we know it could be some sort of Marvel-style game or something like Jump Ultimate Stars

I'm holding out for Namco x Capcom x Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Flying Milton posted:

I have a wrapped copy of FF13 sitting under my TV and Arkham City arrives today (probably in another 12 hours). I'm off. Should I just hold out a little longer?

The best thing you could probably do is sleep so that you can play AC more when it arrives.

• Locked thread