Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Hey guys which Skate game is better, 2 or 3? The main thing I'm looking for is an interesting and challenging environment to skate around in that doesn't need online play to be fun. That said, well-implemented online play is a plus. Oh and what are the main gameplay differences between the two games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Thanks for the replies regarding skate, I think I'm going to get number three.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
What? I thought the tanker/cruise liner sequence was one of the best parts of the game. In fact, that whole sequence has to be one of the most memorable things I've ever played through in a video game. Overall I thought 3 was better than 2, especially towards the end. My only complaint would be that the addition to the melee system could occasionally slow gunfights down a tad too much. That said though, you could use it to do some funny stuff, and running and gunning was every bit as awesome as the previous games (and less bullet-spongy).

As for the story, fair enough, it is shallow and poorly fleshed-out. But who cares? It's still fun. I love Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I wouldn't say it had a good story. I wouldn't say that the previous games in the series had great stories either (although admittedly 2 was written better), but they were still fun too. And even if they did a better job of explaining their fantastical elements than number 3, the underlying explanation is still more or less "it's cursed/magic".

Also the boss fight in 3 is cool, because knife-fights are always cool.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 2, 2012

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

me your dad posted:

I just started JC2 and I'm terrible at it. I'm still real early in the game, and just did the part where you grapple onto the helicopter. I'm hoping at some point it clicks and I have fun with it. I was a bit hesitant to buy it because I don't really care about killing dudes in incredibly complicated ways, or stringing airplanes together but I'll stick with it a bit longer. At what point do I get to use all the DLC weapons I bought with the ultimate deal?

First I need to finish Skyrim :effort: and then finish Uncharted 2.

This is how you play JC2:

Go to the top of that really tall mountain in the desert area. Find the bell tower there. Using your grapple, pull the bell out of the tower. Lash the bell to rear of a fast vehicle, like a jeep or something. Hop in and drive the jeep off the steep cliff edge nearby. Optional: attempt to ghost-ride the jeep when it nears the ground for a cool explosion and some funny ragdoll physics.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The problem is that, especially in Mexico, the missions you take on typically have absolutely nothing to do with your goal of finding Javier Escuella and Williamson. They all feel pretty much like chores or favours, and while the game definitely acknowledges the fact that Marston is being dicked around, it could have at least thrown you bone and given you more missions where you actively work towards your goal of finding them in some way. Like maybe one of the characters' informants who knows the location of one of your targets has been put on a prison train and you have to break him out. That sort of setup directly benefits Marston, as well as the person he's doing the mission for, so it makes sense. And we all know that train robberies are really cool and fun.

I still like Mexico though.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah me too. Even if the story loses some momentum down in Mexico it's still a great game. I thought Mexico as an area was just as fun and interesting to explore as the other areas, plus it gave me a chance to practice my spanish.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

DangerKat posted:

Is it rumor or confirmed that Truth/Doubt/Lie was a changed late in development to that from something more like Believe/Challenge/Something else that also fell more in line with Cole's reactions and made him seem less bipolar?

Close. I'm pretty sure it was coerce/force/lie, which honestly makes some of the interrogations a lot more easy if you keep it in mind. Selecting "doubt" and having Cole yell at the subject was pretty annoying, and selecting "truth" didn't always make sense, even if was the correct option. "Truth" is more like "play along" sometimes.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I wonder how big a full install for MGS4 would be... the sounds files for the cutscences alone would be pretty drat huge! That said, I'd still like the option, especially if it had chapter select or something. MGS4 is probably the best cranky grandpa simulator ever created, it's the least they could do!

^^ I thought he said he didn't take the nanomachines that the other soldiers took, not that he didn't undergo gene therapy. But then again I only watch the cutscenes where Snake acts like an old fart (my favourite cutscene is the one where he can't remember the code for Otacon).

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 11, 2012

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Stare-Out posted:

Holy poo poo, MGS4 trophies. Never thought I'd see the day, and I was just planning on playing through it again.
Not sure how much it matters in terms of install size, but every last bit of audio in MGS4, from the music to sound effects to ambiance and dialogue is uncompressed 7.1 audio which takes an insane amount of space. I can't remember exactly why you have to install each chapter separately, but each chapter is around 5GB and the PS3's FAT32 file system can't handle files larger than that, so no full install.

Edit: Wait, if that's true how are downloadable games handled when some of them are 15GB or more? :raise:

Even if that were true, being able to only to install one file per game to the hard drive is pretty dumb. If you have the space you might as well just write all the chapters to the drive in 5GB chunks, I don't really see what the difference is. I think what's at issue here is Sony wanting to support the 20GB models, and thus limiting the install size for all PS3s. And even that is pretty dumb, I'm sure developers could figure out a way to account for hard drive size during installation.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 11, 2012

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

MUFFlNS posted:

Oh, and SSX is my personal vote for game of the year, and everybody should own it.

I couldn't disagree more strongly, especially if you've played one of the previous (good) games in the series. SSX was, for me, a huge disappointment and I got maybe an hour's playtime out of it. Get SSX3 and play that on your PS2/emulator, you'll have a lot more fun.

Also Fergus, I know you said you aren't keen on the HD releases but you should consider MGS HD collection, 3 is an awesome game and it can be difficult to track down the subsistence version at a decent price. I've also heard it gives emulators a hard time, although that might have been fixed.

Oh and if you were ever a fan of Tony Hawk games or skating games you should check out skate 3, it is crazy fun.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I thought Uncharted 3 was the best in the series once I made the change to the aiming setting. The enemies felt much less spongey than those in UC2 (especially in the late game), and the drawn out fights were wildly entertaining and rewarded reckless run and gun play. UC2's boss fight left a sour taste in my mouth so I was pretty happy once I got to the knife fight in 3. I will admit that the story in 3 is kinda lovely, but I don't play the games for the stories anyway.

• Locked thread