Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Harlock posted:

Would have been great if they just released both games as one package, rather than having to buy both.

That was one of those games I bought blind. (no reviews, ads, etc) It was good, but man the load times on Chrono Trigger were a bit jarring.. It wasn't super bad, but all I could think was..the SNES version didn't have this at all did it? (which of course was the case, it didnt' have it)

I mean the cutscenes were nice, they were a nice addition. Will be not getting this one though, I already have it and the DS edition. (which gave an extra ending)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
All I remember any tidbits about GoW 4 was people hiring for animators for it.. but. that could'v been false.

I would say, how would they find a way to make Kratos mad, seeing as he was pretty done in GoW3. Then I think about 2 and how much of an rear end in a top hat Kratos was with no reason..

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

Someone clearly hasn't played Chains of Olympus, GoW1, or Ghost of Sparta...

haha i'm really bad at explaining. Well, yes I've actually played those games. In terms of Kratos characterization, I thought Gow1 and CoO and GoS were well done in terms of Kratos being pissed off. However what I meant was playing GoW 2 after Gow1 it seemed the anger was misplaced. In the beginning that is. I will say, that once I've played the prequels, it fleshed out Kratos some more. All I am saying is that Santa Monica Studios wouldn't have to do much to have Kratos angry in order to have him rip poo poo up in GoW4 if they choose to make it.

Ready at Dawn studios did a really great job with the psp titles, they didn't just feel like ports of god of war games at all.

Espeically Ghost of Sparta. That was my favorite. What made the game for me was,They took a what if, from the first game about Kratos brother and flesh it out, they explain the tattoo, Kratos actually was a bit human towards his brother. What made it better is how pissed off he was when he saw his brother die. He was just pissed. And the cherry on the topping was how pissed off he was at Athena, which lead nicely to GoW2. Very well done.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as I have disdain for Ninja Theory, (more so of Capcom going with them for dmc) it does suck that their sales weren't' that great for Enslaved. But this is one of the reasons why I still question Capcom's move to go with them. With the high expectations of wanting DMC to sell 5 mil or higher makes it very hard for Ninja Theory. I rather they not be berated not being able to sell that high, when they do have a track record of not selling very well or meeting low expectations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cbouncerrun posted:

Ugh, going back to your last save every time you die in Ico is really annoying. It's not usually too bad since the save points aren't too far away from each other but there's something really frustrating about having to do the same puzzles over again. Also the controls are a bit loose so dying isn't always fair.

Anyways, liking it so far. Kind of reminds me of Limbo. Though I guess it should be that Limbo reminds me of Ico.

It also what makes this game tense. There are have been multiple instances where I"m don't die don't die....gently caress. However, at least the battles seem to go faster once you know where to stab, dodge etc. I died 10 times in that game. As for the controls, yeah they are a bit lose. Takes a bit to get used to I would say. But you have to agree, nothing more breathtaking than looking up seeing a huge monster tower over you and you only have your sword and bow..

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

liquidypoo posted:

I can't help but disagree here. Yes, it's an amazing game, but it's not perfect. Going back to aiming with the left stick threw me for a loop, and we all know the right way to aim in video games is with the right stick. Leon's Parkinson's aiming was a little too much. I don't remember it being that bad. The game doesn't have Move support, when it really should. If not because there aren't enough Move games worth playing out there, then because they've done motion controller support before.

As for RE5, I don't think they hosed it up. What makes you say that?

I think one of the reasons why RE5 gets flack is because of the co-op.It felt a bit forced.The levels were a bit so/so really. Not as crazy as RE4. Also Sheva is probably the most boring character in the RE universe ever. While it is possible to play without co-op, it would've been better if they never made Sheva. Nothing against her, she wasn't really needed.

That and Wesker? What a disappointment. It does get some points for the infamous scene which I won't spoil.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I should say two. Because, Wesker was totally hamming up that line. And yeah, Chris..

PUNCHING.A.BOULDER.

What I also meant by Wesker being a disappointment is his final form. The guy who dodges bullets like nothing, sacrifices speed to become a slow hard hitting bastard. It just completely killed it for me.

I hope he comes back. I don't care what Capcom says.He's dead? BULLSHIT. Like that hasn't stopped you reviving a drat villian.

hell does Sigma keep the record for being revived the most?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah but like Wesker, they finally killed Sigma off for good.

Oh I know that. I was mostly likely poking fun at Capcom's he's dead thing. And Sigma was a prime example. And yes I was glad Sigma finally died in x8. While technically not cannon, it still provided closure at least for that bastard.

Also, guess I didn't pay attention to the Wesker childern project. Looking forward to seeing the clone.

Also I want to elaborate on Sheva. By far I thought it was great that Capcom provided a female that wasn't sexed up like hell (well excluding the extra costumes) but they really didn't' do anything interesting with her. There was no conflict, she felt like more of a yes man really. I guess it was just a let down compared to Leon's attitude/antics in RE4. The game was pretty much aware of how loving silly it was. I mean a huge rear end Statue chasing the gently caress out of you, doesn't get more silly then that. RE5 trying to be serious was a bit.. eh.. The moments Wesker has his screen time was great. I enjoy Wesker's character because he's straight up a comic book villain. I hope RE6 is better. and no more co-op. I hate to say but co-op removed the tension from the game. I'll admit I hated fighting against the chainsaw zombies in RE4. In RE5? Not as much when you actually have a partner who can chip them with shots from far away. It sounds dumb what I said, but that's what I liked about RE4 alot. It felt really tense.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This is great, I have a ps3 slim so I couldn't play my old ps2 games on it. Maximo Ghosts To glory, Godhand and Odin Sphere? drat my wallet is crying with joy!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

I own all those games and I'm considering purchasing them again. I am a bad person.

Nothing wrong wtih Dragon kicking your rear end into the Milk Way..

Milky Way

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Policenaut posted:

It's probably intentional with all the times you have to yell at Yorda NO YOU loving RUN OVER HERE DON'T LET THE SHADOW GRAB YOU AAARGGH *quit to title screen*

That's how I felt with this game. Still doesn't stop me from playing it though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
...was Sega EVEN trying with that?..I wonder what's more stupid, this announcement or the Sonic announcement trailer.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm kind of having ARRGH! :argh: moments with Shadows of the Colossus. The camera is wonky and I just died getting tossed off the drat things head. I heard this game was good but i'm already getting frustrated on the first one.

Hhaha yeah it will do that to you. If it makes you feel any better, took me 5 tries to beat the first guy. On another note, I was looking for my headset, and well..it seems I had a ps2 slim.. hahah poo poo..

Well, I might still double dip on games being offered on PSN.. but man it makes me happy being able to play DMC3, Godhand and ZOE again.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I believe it's SOTC. Can't blame the guy tho, the controls can take a bit to get used to.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Policenaut posted:

I loved SOTC and kinda liked Ico back in the day but for some reason I just can't really muster up the effort to actually play them again. In the past 3 times I've turned Ico on I've maybe gotten 15 minutes worth of progression because I just get tired or bored or confused about it.

It's one of those games you have to get in the mood to play. It's certainly not something you can just pick up and play. Considering you have to put some time into it.

I mostly play SOTC when I'm stressed out. The music is kinda soothing. Yeah I know.. stressed out, on SOTC. The bosses don't really stress me out as much because I tend to think, well that's what I get for hanging onto a boss for so drat long.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
poo poo, that would explain why my HDTV couldn't show any of the ps2 games properly. 720p? gently caress.. this is what I get for having a CRT..(they rarely have that)

Oh well, back to composite for a bit.. doesn't bother me that much.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I still remember the early days of achievements and trophies. I don't know about the ps3, but the 360's achievement scoring system was a joke back then. I remembered they had a contest for who can get 1k in a week type award. The reward was Contra (lovely port though).. and yet everyone realized, quick way to get 1k? Play Madden 06, easiest way. Might be way they haven't done that.

Multiplayer achievements are just downright stupid. I could see the reason, give the player an incentive to do something, but they are just downright dumb. Win 10,000 matches, get this many kills. It was just overkill..Not to mention the fact it encourage players to play a certain way. Ever run into those guys who go NO I'M the one with the sniper, i'm just going for sniper kills.. just because of that stupid loving 100 kill sniper crap.

PS3 trophies had its faults as well, but some at least felt great. One example was whoever got 100% first in GTA, got some actual physical reward out of it. I thought that was a nice touch.. considering the fact that you had to kill 200 pigeons for it.

It's like everyone said, I wish achievements tied into more like what unlocks in game for you. That gives far more encouragement that a little "ting" for something you did. Developers these days think multiplayer is a neccesity to keep a game being played. While this is true, I also wish they learn that players should be rewarded for doing certain tasks and giving them points to purchase in game (not actual money like they did in the past *coughEAcough*) I rather have achievements give me a chance to buy a weapon or a skin then some arbitrary number that is nothing more than good pat in the back type thing or e penis as they say.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Talkc posted:

Okay coming up with a list here. So far these are the games that make the list ( based on trailers and gameplay footage ).

1st Uncharted (series)play if you want a nice pace of climbing, and shooting
3rd Infamous (series) an open world game.. I say it's the game where it literally feels like you become a superhero..
7th Ratchet and Clank(series)...[bnot very familar with this series, but it is one of the best platformers the ps3 has to afford.[/b]
2nd Batman AA/AC Its Batman. It captures the core of what most license super hero games lack. The actual feel of being that superhero. This captures it perfectly. The combat, while simple, it feels amazing once you are able to get the combat flow going. Also has a very metriodish feel to the game
6th Red Dead Redemption(yehaw)Better than drat GTAIV, Rockstar really nailed this one.
8th Motorstorm(series)...haven't' played that series.
5th God of War(series)Looking for action set pieces? This is the game for you. I will say this is one of the games that is infamous for alot of QTE, so get used to that.
4th Demon's/Dark Souls..Yes this game is hard, if you just run around wildy. It can be done, and it's a really good game.

(Im omitting Fallout, cause ive played them on pc )

With this list, is there really anything else that you guys would say should have priority over anything on here?

Like how would you guys rate these on priority "must plays"?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 17, 2011

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It was really repetitive. It felt like an old videogame boss fight. Oh you are kicking my rear end? Well how about I up the challenge and throw more grenades! The UC1 final boss fight was better than that one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would consider the ice caves a "break" if you so call it. Not very crazy (yeah I know haha, the monster) but after that it picks back up. It gets a bit hectic again.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I wish they get rid of the hangout period. They were a lovely gimmick in SA and they were a lovely gimmick in IV.

As for the story, I rather they don't do a serious one. It fell flat. Go back to your roots and tell the story of a sociopath.

Not someone who "apparently" doesn't go to rags to riches even though the loving game shows you have 250k on your screen, but the story says your cousin gambled it all. It doesn't work.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
oh goddamn it UC3 is around the corner. Son of a BITCH. I just bought Batman AC. :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That DLC better be free then. Which I highly doubt.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A bunch of people on neogaf are complaining and they have three!

It's GAF, they bitch about everything.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I really am looking forward to that Rayman game. I"ve only played Rayman 1 (not 2 or 3) so did surprise me a bit that Rayman could swim. My reaction was Holy poo poo, no more super sonic drowning skills?! Then the pessimistic side said oh great, water levels. They are going to be bor-*plays water level* okay this drat awesome. What made it great was that Rayman can swim fast. Also love how the little fireflies were singing it made it more great.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cbouncerrun posted:

Is he some of the thugs in Arkham City too? I could've sworn I heard him as one of them.

Yup, he was one of them. And so was Steve Blum (not like that was a surprise). Not as prevalent in this one though

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh wow, isn't the Vita close by? drat time flies. Well japan wise that is, we wont see til Feb.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You said no FPSes, what about third person shooters? Uncharted 2 is a great game to play (haven't played UC3)

I would also recommend Infamous, open world game but it's probably the closets game you can feel to getting to be a super hero (other than batman), the sequel is also great.

Heav-hahaha NO. gently caress Heavy Rain.

The Sly Collection is a great platforming game that has stealth. A bit on the easy side (well the 2nd and 3rd) but the first one is really good. Only I will warn is the characters look a bit funny in the first game. It's until the 2nd game that Sucker Punch starts making better models for their characters. The first Sly game is great because you have no health in that game, you have to collect at least 50 coins in order to get a lucky shoe just not to get hit. They took that away in the 2nd game and 3rd (deciding to give you health in those games) The first one feels a bit more linear then the 2nd and 3rd one.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 1, 2011

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Vanquish is the definition of arcade if I ever saw one. It's pretty short and if you aren't the type who wants to go for the highscore or keep getting better, I don't recommend it.

I got mines off some site that trades games so I can't really be disappointed for something I didn't pay. The game is great once you learn how to use each weapon to your advantage. Also it's much better when you aren't' treating the game like a cover shooter.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Everytime I hear about controllers, it almost feels like there is a rare breed of people that are capable of adapting to different controllers. 360 controller? Lay index fingers on trigger, just thumb for d pad. ps3 controller? Lay the first and second fingers on the triggers, thumbs on d pad.

As for the resoultion, I use to have a problem with that. Mostly because my former HDTV could only support 480p and 1080i (kinda reason why CRT HDTVS suck) but once I got my new tv, I just selected all options of what resolution I get and bam all done.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

blackguy32 posted:

Don't go into the topic about the game. Fans are pretty upset about it, with some good reason since many don't like change. But I actually think the changes look interesting since I felt the old style of the games was stagnant and woefully outdated.

Yeah it's best not to, even if I disagree with your views on the other hitman games. I'm surprised nobody has gone to personally insult a poster in that thread. It's getting there though.

Ah EC it's not bitchy. I know how you feel. I remember when it came out on PSX I was like. FF4 and Chrono trigger? TAKE my money! Then I saw the loading times on CT. Yeah.

I even went far as to double dip when the DS version came out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh it's one of those spike EXCLUSIVE video crap isn't it? Goddamn it. I rarely get excited for a game's announcement of an announcement. loving twitter.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
True, but it's still a decent game. Well to be fair I"m a huge heavy metal/rock fan, so seeing all those references to rock was a big plus to me. That and the fact the open world itself feels like watching an album cover come to life.

Plus Jack Black isn't annoying in this game. Biggest shocker there, he actually fits with Eddie very nicely (which I think they admit it was based around him)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Does the FF series even sell great as they use to anyways? They really got to get rid of these 4/6 year dev cycle bullshit. It's not something that can be supported in this generation.

I wouldn't be surprised if sony/xbox just said gently caress off.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The gently caress square? The gently caress. I mean already have dissenting opinion with FF13 in general, but what the hell.

That's 90s buttrock as HELL.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cbouncerrun posted:

How does the free Saints Row 2 with Saints Row 3 thing work? Is it connected to the online pass?

I think that's probably the case, considering that's how the system knows that the person owns the game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well it's nice it's back in some city type place again. Both RE4 and RE5 fill the quota of being in somewhere different.

Nice to see Leon back in Action. Hope he still has his quirky remarks in cutscenes.

Chris.. eh not so much (he was just too serious all the drat time)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Shelf Adventure posted:

As cool as the Jet Set Radio announcement is, I'm a bit worried the soundtrack will be gutted as it was with Crazy Taxi. I used to love this on the Dreamcast, but got to a certain part that I just couldn't get past.

Pretty sure all JSR music is original so at least that will be in tact.

Unlike Crazy Taxi. :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Isn't there a double pack for uncharted or was that another game I'm thinking of both. Uncharted 1 was good, Uncharted 2 was awesome.

Ignore the ones who said Uncharted 1 didn't age well. It still looks good for a ps3 game. While the combat is nothing to write about, the climbing is still drat fun :colbert:

Uncharted 2 had just more great set pieces compared to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I still rather have fun in a wacky rear end game like SR3 and not a bogged down dating sim like GTA4.

HOWEVER, the DLC of GTA4 showed that Rockstar still has it, so maybe GTA 5 will be good. I'm not getting my hopes though.

• Locked thread