Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
And it still baffles me to this day why they dropped the two Mega Man games and gave a big middle finger to their most iconic creation.

If "there aren't enough fans" to sell a Mega Man game, there probably isn't enough to make an HD remake of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Square already gave you your HD remake. It's called FFXIII. Look at the characters. They're literally all the same. The only thing that changed was that Square went way overboard with the Japanese fashion. The plot really isn't that different if you use your imagination.

Also, I'm thinking about getting more into WRPGs. I was thinking about Dragon's Dogma as I'm hearing great things, but you guys seem to be giving a lot of credit Dark/Demon's Souls? Which one's more satisfying?

e; My friend even said DD is like Kingdom Hearts meets Skyrim? What?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 27, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Stasis stasis stasis. That poo poo is crucial at some parts. It's even more useful in expert mode when you have scarce ammo. The Plasma cutter is a good option because you don't have to waste money on upgrades for other weapons

Also, the cheap for auto statsis refill is Triangle Square Triangle Triangle

e; Right now, I'm getting back into Skyrim. I think I'm going to play it a bit, then buy Demon's Souls. I look forward to getting into WRPGs. Skyrim was a fun plat.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Hey, how big of a success was the Multiplayer only version of Killzone 3? I've been waiting for Sony to offer more games like this.

Guerrilla is the only company I've seen that really tries to get their DLC out before their games lose popularity. Both Killzone 2 and 3 had a few months of success and a good number of map packs for their 15 minutes. Sony promoted the poo poo out of KZ3, but in the end, the game loses half its community within the first 3-4 months. I'm sure you can still find plenty of games, though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Feenix posted:

LPB Karting beta starts on the 10th. Codes go out next week to those who signed up. (Although frankly I think this should be De-Facto poo poo for Plus members.)

Hopefully this is just Modnation Racers 2 with all the bugs fixed and faster loading times. MNR is still my favorite PS exclusive to date.

Also, they really have to come up with a better name than Playstation All-Stars.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Speaking of demos, I downloaded a few today, including a game called Warp. I'd recommend it. It's a cute little puzzle game about an alien test subject that has to escape whilst warping through walls and into people, making them burst from the inside. There's tons of neat obstacles to outsmart, and it doesn't hold your hand with constant pop-up objectives/reminders. It gives you the basics, and you're off, which is what more video games need. It's nothing like Portal, so don't assume that. I think you can get more powers but, like I said, I only played the demo.

Although if you're a puzzle game fan, you should DL the demo.

I also DL'ed Dragon's Dogma, Arkham City, and a Closure, an indie game where you manipulate light to make it to the respective door in each level. It's not original - I know.

e; Batman is a button masher...I expected better.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 9, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Yechezkel posted:

Speaking of a game finally coming out, Ratchet & Clank Collection is coming in North America on August 28 for $30, both on Bluray and on PSN. It will come with a demo for the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

I'm surprised it's not $40 like the other remastered collections.

That's one series I regret not playing. I might pick this one up.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Are people still allowed to sign up for it? I want to try it out so bad, but I completely forgot to sign up in the window of time that signups were open.

Can someone still answer this, please? A code hasn't magically showed up in my spam inbox yet, and I'd really like to play this game. I put so many hours into Mod Nation.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Does anyone else think Little big planet 2 sucks? I try to like it because of the aesthetic and its cool in theory but it isnt fun to play. The actual jumping and physics are so floaty and imprecise that theres lots of frustrating deaths, especially with the grappling hook and other attachments. Also all the gimmicky levels like the sidescroller stuff are really lovely sidescrollers. The user created content mostly sucks poo poo or looks kinda cool but sucks poo poo to play. Why does this game suck

I played LBP2 about 5 times, and I couldn't bring myself to put it in my PS3 again. Did they fix the laggy, lovely connections? When I played it, the screen would flicker between "loading" and the game screen so fast when I was online that it was actually seizure-inducing.

On another note, I just found out how many N64, NES, and SNES games Nintendo has been putting on their store when I hooked my Wii up for the first time in months. Why are the PS Classics so lacking still? Where's the Mega Man X series? Where's Gran Turismo 1? Where's all the other games I used to play on my PSX? And why are do they keep putting up non-translated Japanese games? There's nothing more annoying than buying Mega Man 2 and trying to figure out what the menu says, yet all the in-game text is in English.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 24, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I guess they're just sending out a poo poo load of invites because I just got my LBPK code. I'm not PS+, and I didn't sign up for anything.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I'm upset that UFG didn't incorporate the same avatar creation that Modnation had. A game that has the LittleBigPlanet and Modnation developers should have made for something that had the best of both worlds. I was looking forward to re-creating my mods, and racing with them in another game. Making mods was the only thing I was good at in that game, and it was half the fun:

I want to have my cake and eat it too, dammit. :smith:

e; Is anyone still playing Modnation? I still like to race every now and then, if anyone's down.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 26, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Yeah. I've made up my mind. I really am not having fun with the Karting Beta. That floaty, loose control is a big game-breaker. If any game should have tight controls, it's a racing game.

I wish I didn't waste a key, so one of you could have tried it.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 27, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Feenix posted:

ALL-STARS folks. The beta is shareable. I put it on an account I share with a buddy and we are both online at the same time playing.

Anyone else get a Beta code yet? How's the game?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

epitasis posted:

Anyway, as for that All-Stars leak, it is a potentially hilarious troll for them to include Raiden but not Snake. Unlikely but amusing.

Maybe they want to because he was already recruited by Nintendo, and didn't think they wanted to be original.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Overall I'd say Portal 2 has some WAY harder puzzles than Portal 1; but trust me, the feeling of finally getting it and beating the level in question is like pure digital heroin. More than once I literally ended up yelling out gently caress YES WOOOOOOO. Thankfully I was home alone when I marathonned Portal 2. :sweatdrop:

I got hung up on at least one puzzle for a day or two solid, but a lot of levels were just "oh that didn't work, oh that didn't work either... hmmm... ohhhhhh" once you understand the new mechanics it throws at you.

Portal 2 didn't give me that feeling because of the stupid rooms where you would just have to find the one, hidden slab of white, which was nowhere to be found. If Portal 2 has one major flaw, it's that.

Also, eightysixed, know that Portal 2 plays a bit differently. It's a longer game solely because the story keeps getting in the way of the puzzles. I love seeing Wheatley, but he tends to suck you out of the puzzle part of the game and make you run down corridors looking for the next puzzle too much. I think it's stupid.

e; vvvvv I beat the co-op with a buddy. That's definitely lots of fun

Also, I'll be anyone's co-op buddy. I'd love to play again.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 14, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

If I were to stop buying into lovely AAA titles that get rehashed every year and started investing my money into unique, creative Indie/other creative games, where would I start?

and don't say Journey.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Journ...oh. Well why not Journey? :mad:

Because I knew it would be said.

I also heard that Mass Effect is really creative, and it has it's own universe. Is that true or is it just a lovely FPS?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I found the Jak and Daxter for $10 from Gamestop as an online-only offer. It was one a the few times I've purchased a game from Gamestop, and I assume someone else would want the deal:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/jak-and-daxter-collection/98639

Also, I'm getting rid of a few of my shooters (and a platformer). Do any of you guys want them? I posted in the game trading thread, but I figure some of you might want them, since most of PS3 exclusives. Rather than selling them, I'm looking to trade them for other games. I don't know what a 1:1 deal would be, but if you think it's fair, then let me know. I'm into all kinds of games.

Games:

LittleBigPlanet 2
MAG
Medal of Honor 2010
SOCOM 4
Black Ops

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I bought the Jak and Daxter collection because I thought that I haven't played enough PS exclusives, only to realize that the first one sucks and is all about collecting poo poo.

Please tell me the next two games don't revolve around collecting things because this is one of the most boring games I've ever played.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I've owned a PS3 since the beginning of 2009 and still haven't played an Uncharted game, and I'm thinking of picking one up, but I'm kind of skeptical about doing so.

I was just wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me, namely is this game something that is actually intuitive and fun or is it filled with tutorials and on-screen objectives and QTEs? Is this another typical NaughtyDog game that has a huge emphasis on collecting things, or can I get by just playing the game normally? Does this series focus more on the story or gameplay (I didn't buy The Last of Us because the gameplay looked super boring, yet the story is apparently great)?

I' basically looking for a fun game to get immersed in without the game telling me where to go and when to push a button all the time. Does the game have good game feel and does it feel satisfying to play?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Thanks for all the input on Uncharted. I think I might pick up the dual pack and see how I like it.

The French Army! posted:

What would be a good cheap fps that won't have its community leave the second the PS4 is released?

Battlefield 4 is going to be $30 on Black Friday for current gen consoles.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Still. It's going to be $30 on Black Friday and $10 to upgrade to the PS4 version.

That's $40. You pick it up on PS4 and it'll be $60.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I think Killzone is an awesome series, not considering multiplayer. Sure it's linear and puts you on rails, but you get to shoot all kinds of different weapons at bad guys and just feels very chaotic at all times, which is what a FPS should be. I think it's one of the few AAA shooters that has good game feel, as well. That game would be amazing if they let you fly vehicles and put more than one stealth mission in there.

It is brown, though, and that's unforgiving.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

G-Whizard posted:

My PS3 is either dying, or Battlefield 4 is pushing it past it's limits. I've been playing it all day and I've had probably 10 freezes. I have the slide open 500 gig model. Part of me says "Who cares? The ps4 is around the corner." But I have a shitload of games on this thing. I'll have to replace it. I haven't even had it a year. Anyone else getting lots of freezes for this game? Another annoying thing. There are apparently no mid level saves if you quit the game or it freezes because I was almost to the end of what I assume is the first level and it froze. I start it back up and I'm at the god drat start.

Check out the Battlfield 3 Console thread.

All they're doing in that thread is complaining about BF4 freezing.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Finally booted up Dragon's Dogma, holy poo poo this game runs poorly. I think it dipped into something like 15FPS within the first 5 minutes. I'll stick with it for now because capcom fighting engine

I've considered buying this so many times, but every time I do research, I always see the pros and cons so perfectly matched that it makes me lose all motivation for buying it.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I just went back to LittleBigPlanet 2 again after putting it down early into the game before.

The reasons I didn't like it was because the whole game revolved around collecting things, the overwhelming tutorial sequences, and the overall floatiness of the game. This time I'm actually enjoying it. I'm not paying attention to any of the collectibles and just running through the levels and skipping all the text, as if it were an intuitive platformer, and it really is fun and flows well when you quit worrying about points and flair, as there is no incentive to getting any of that. The only thing I do hate is that there is no punishment for death. Dying usually puts you back inches and you have infinite chances. I guess I'm enjoying LBP as a good game to mellow out to. It's really relaxing.

I know this game is old, but I was super critical of this game, and never understood why people liked it so much. Now I realize I was playing it wrong.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Grump posted:

I just went back to LittleBigPlanet 2 again after putting it down early into the game before.

The reasons I didn't like it was because the whole game revolved around collecting things, the overwhelming tutorial sequences, and the overall floatiness of the game. This time I'm actually enjoying it. I'm not paying attention to any of the collectibles and just running through the levels and skipping all the text, as if it were an intuitive platformer, and it really is fun and flows well when you quit worrying about points and flair, as there is no incentive to getting any of that. The only thing I do hate is that there is no punishment for death. Dying usually puts you back inches and you have infinite chances. I guess I'm enjoying LBP as a good game to mellow out to. It's really relaxing.

I know this game is old, but I was super critical of this game, and never understood why people liked it so much. Now I realize I was playing it wrong.

I just finished the game. I've got to say, I really hate the platforming in this game. It's infuriating at parts and I had serious issues with conveyance during the entire game, the biggest part being the final boss not telegraphing his attacks.

This game is great as a creation tool, but a sub-par platformer, in my opinion.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

The jumping was very floaty and a big issue, I think, because there were times when you had to wait for Sackboy to land fully before you could jump again at full height. It really ruins the flow of the game, and in a game like this, where levels are designed for you to blow right through them, that gets annoying.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I got Ni No Kuni for Christmas and I'm loving it aside from the handholding. The color palette and cel-shading looks really great, and the music is amazing. I just wish they would stop telling me how to beat every challenge before I can try to figure it out for myself.

Also got Shadow of the Collussus/Ico Collection. I've never actually played Ico before. I'm looking forward to that.

And Kingdom Hearts 1.5. The nostalgia is the only thing that's carrying me through, really. It's not really a great game from a modern perspective.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I got it for Christmas, and I'm pretty far into it at this point. It's really kept me hooked because I love the cel-shading and the music never gets old, this especially.

A couple tips I would keep in mind:

- Always pay attention to Drippy when he tells you to be careful or "are you sure you really want to do that" because it usually means a boss fight is coming and it's impossible to win a big fight when your party has no MP.
- Experiment with different familiars because you want to, not because you need to grind. The only part I've found where you absolutely need to grind for the sake of grinding is after the 3rd town because the game takes a huge ramp in difficulty.
- Indulge in the game. Appreciate the music and art, because you'll hate it if you don't. It's a JRPG with a sub-par combat system and a lot of reading, so it's easy to get annoyed.

Overall, it's not too hard of a game. The only things that feel like a chore is the errands because they're repetitive, bland, and stupid easy. Experimenting with different pets is fun, if you don't take it too seriously (those things gain levels quick, so it's not a big hassle to train). The game holds your hand WAY too much, but peddle through it. Most of the hand-holding ends at the 3rd town, and most of the hand-holding after that can be avoided by mashing the X button through all the text.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Is TLoU a game anyone would recommend to people who value gameplay over story? I was watching a few videos of some guy playing it, and it looks boring as hell, as it seems like you're just walking from cutscene to cutscene.

Is there anyone who doesn't like this game? The 10/10 reviews make me :rolleyes:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

The story is wonderful but I think it's bad in the gameplay department. Just dumb and bad. There are a whopping 3 types of zombie enemies and a couple humans; hope you enjoy fighting them for 15 hours. The encounters are nothing more than learning pathing and retrying a million times when you fail which you will because who knows why that clicker will hear you killing someone 9 feet away but not 11 feet away. Also if you kill a dude with an assault rifle and a flashlight and ammunition you won't be able to pick any of it up which is basically the stupidest loving thing ever.

As far as stealth based gameplay goes, Arkham Asylum and Dishonored blow it away.

That's another thing I've noticed is there is pretty much no incentive for staying alive. Considering it's a survival-horror, you'd think there would be some reward for not dying.

And I can admit that I understand why people enjoy this game, but it genuinely suprises me that I know people who bought a PS3 just for this game alone. It's not really breaking any new ground and I just feel that the gameplay is so uninspired.

I actually just finished Arkham Asylum and Dishonored has been on my wishlist for a while.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Crossposting from the Ni No Kuni thread. Just wanted to share my final thoughts. I like the game and all but:

I'm at the final boss and I've about had it with the battle system.

I'm so tired of moves getting cancelled, healing not happening quickly enough, getting stuck waiting for my spell to finish so I can scroll to "defend" in time, AI wasting MP on healing 50 HP and not using magic against bosses, wasting items on teammates who die before the effect kicks in, Mr. Drippy interrupting my spells with his text and healing spell, etc. I know most of that poo poo is how most JRPGs work, but it's loving annoying, and during the fight, I got so tired of micromanaging I eventually gave up and ended up dying.

This game is loving exhausting, and should have been way shorter, as well. It really wastes your time way too much. There's too much running around for the sake of running around (i.e. when the rat steals the magic log).

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I was actually thinking about picking that collection up. Is the MGS series known for being really good, or is it just really iconic? Do the older games hold up well?

I know I have a few other HD remakes of games that I remembered being decent, but actually didn't age well (namely Kingdom Hearts and Jak 1).

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Western RPGs suck at pacing, really, and Mass Effect is the worst I've seen ever.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

G-Whizard posted:

As apposed to what? JRPG's? That have massive amounts of dialogue and tutorials that never end? Games like Persona and Final Fantasy are so slow paced whereas games like Mass Effect are pretty well paced in my opinion. Yes, sometimes there is dialogue I don't care about but it's usually because I want to see all the dialogue trees and I end up selecting every tiny option and turn what should have been a quick conversation into Commander Shepherd asks 20 questions.

My point was in games like Mass Effect, something huge happens, like the Reapers invading the gently caress out of Earth then nothing happens for the longest time until finally you get something big at the end. Most visits to other planets in Mass Effect made me feel like we didn't need to be there, and I never really felt satisfied when I completed missions.

Yes. JRPGs waste your time and are there's a lot of running around for no reason, right. They're slow paced, but they are consistent at least. Final Fantasy at least gives you cool bosses to look forward to at the end of most dungeons.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Welp. As of 3:00 PM EST, SOCOM: Confrontation, SOCOM 4, and MAG servers are down for good.

I'm gonna miss playing Confrontation.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Will PSN let you know if your account has been signed on by a different console/device? Or is the PSN that inefficient?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

...! posted:

I rented Remember Me having heard nothing about it and I couldn't get past the first five minutes. I couldn't get past the awfulness.

Just looked up a Let's Play because I was interested.

Holy poo poo. The amount of prologue is maddening. Game's that are that heavily focused on story suck, imo. That's why I won't touch The last of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Also, I wanted to say that my #1 game on the PS3 was Modnation Racers. Obviously a Mario Kart clone, but it was infinitely better than any Mario Kart game to date. It's the only game I've played that I think is perfect in every way. It was such a creative game, and people made amazing maps/karts/mods.

Definitely didn't get enough publicity. I don't know how the portable versions play, but I think they got more attention.

One of the best games I've played in my entire life. And gently caress yourself if you think I'm wrong.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 1, 2014

• Locked thread