Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Shalinor posted:

I'm still expecting them to announce that the quote was in error, and that there will be a process to convert PSN libraries to streaming PS4 equivalents. Still not sure how they'll handle PS3 disc games, but PSN ownership conversion seems like an easy gimme to boost their numbers.

I think the reason they didn't say this is because absolutely every bit of their Gaikai part of the press conference is still very much up in the air. Absolutely everything was qualified with "we might be able to", "hopefully", and some serious qualifiers. It would be a bad, bad idea to promise people that their PSN purchased titles would be playable through the cloud only to then have Gaikai eventually find that PS3 compatibility through the cloud just doesn't scale or work as well as they'd hoped and all that gets dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Funso Banjo posted:

ME3 on PSN+ next month.

Sleeping Dogs this month, ME3 and DoA5 next, this is crazy value.

Just to clarify, that's Europe's PSN+. The free games are different in each region.

Europe's PSN+ free games have tended to be better than what's offered in the US, from what I've seen of those listings.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Stare-Out posted:

A guy from Avalanche Studios tweeted a couple of low-quality pictures and talked about "an upcoming E3 reveal"

Hmm, I wonder what the pictures could be of...

:aaaaa::fh:

Actually, there's a solid chance that's Mad Max, not Just Cause 3. Avalanche has both games in development right now, but the rumor going around on the release date on JC3 is 2015, whereas Mad Max is likely to come out sometime near the movie, which is scheduled for 2014.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

That loving Sned posted:

I don't understand why EA wants Dead Space to compete with Mass Effect. They own Mass Effect, so why do they want another series which is exactly the same, but without the RPG elements?

Because if that happens, they can develop Mass Effect and Dead Space games on 2 year dev cycles releasing in alternating years, ensuring that they have one of those games ready to go every year.

Think "Treyarch CoD" and "Infinity Ward CoD", although that's broken down now.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Stare-Out posted:

Using the lower triggers for shooting in games always felt weird to me. I know they tend to be more like actual triggers but it feels more natural to me to shoot using my index finger rather than the middle finger which usually rests on the lower triggers. I'm glad most PS3 games do it that way, though RDR had to have it patched in.

The answer to that is to use your index finger on R2/L2 and shift them slightly up to hit L1/R1. Using 2 fingers for the 2 shoulder buttons on each side should be solely reserved for games that actually expect you to hit both shoulder buttons on one side simultaneously (which is very few that I can think of).

The only one I've played recently was DmC (which I played on a 360 pad, but I'll translate to PS3), and that mirrored the dodge on R1 to L1 as well, so that instead of having to do R1+R2, you could do L1+R2 and do the same thing.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SpacePig posted:

e: Would it be cheaper in the long-run for EA specifically to release a Madden or NHL game once every 3 or so years, instead of every year, and just charge for seasonal updates, or would that actually lose them money?

That would cost them money. Those yearly games sell very well, and those sports games on a 3 year dev cycle would cost more and not sell 3 times as many copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's out in 5 months and we're just now hearing about it? That doesn't bode well, there was like an 18-month run up to 3.

There wasn't an 18-month run up to 3. SR3 was announced March 2011 and released November 2011, which means the announcement came 8 months prior. They might have been aiming for the same thing this time, but announcing 8 months prior to scheduled release this time would have put them in the middle of the THQ debacle where the future of Volition and Saints Row was still up in the air.

• Locked thread