Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is BF3 gonna be worth a rental for the SP? I don't play MP at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Morpheus posted:

I haven't played the beta, but I played it when it was on the floor at some media event. There is local co-op (and it is awesome).

Would it be fun for two players? I'm thinking this might be a good wife game...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm sure everyone was hoping to see some news about The Last Guardian, but this isn't really what they were looking for:

quote:

Additionally, we wanted to confirm that The Last Guardian is not on the schedule for this year’s Tokyo Game Show. However we can assure you that Ueda-san and the rest of the development team are hard at work to bring his lofty vision to life and deliver the very best gaming experience possible.

Source

The reversible boxart for ICO/SotC looks rad as all hell, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just got Motostorm: Apocalypse in the mail. Assuming that it ever finishes updating, anybody still playing online? I don't have any PSN friends. :( My tag is NotECEC, send me invites!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Samurai Sanders posted:

The demo for the PS3 version of Ghost of Sparta is pretty damned impressive. I can't believe it was a PSP game before. I think I'll buy it tomorrow. God of War is no Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden for me, but it definitely scratches my stabbing things with swords itch.

That's good to hear, since Gamefly chose to send it to me yesterday. Anybody know about how long the game are? I remember playing 10 minutes of the first PSP game at one point, and liking it.

I posted this, but it was at the end of the last page: does anyone play Motorstorm Apocalypse anymore? I just got it and I'm liking it so far. The tracks are loving crazy, and I'm getting used to the weird PS3 triggers for driving. I need to find my stupid glasses and try it in 3D at some point... Also, I need more PSN friends. NotECEC is my tag.

EC fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 13, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Played a couple of hours of the God of War Origins collection this afternoon. Being my fourth God of War game, it feels exactly like all the other ones. Square, square, triangle and all that. Still, Kratos isn't the supreme whiny douche that he became in GoW3, so I'm having fun with it. The graphics aren't awesome, but they're perfectly playable.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finished up the God of War: Origins Collection. As with the other God of War games, I'll not be doing all the extra poo poo like Challenge of the Gods or the hardest difficulty or whatever. Each game was about 6 hours, I think. Managed to knock them both out over three play sessions. For those that care, I was able to get about half of the trophies in each game just doing a normal playthrough. Looks like you'd need to play both twice through in order to get the rest of them.

The games themselves were good. Ghost of Sparta I think had the best plot/ending. It even had a moment where I was *gasp* emotionally involved in Kratos, when he carries his dead brother to his grave. It was also way better looking than the first one, as you might imagine. I'd probably place it somewhere between 1 and 2.

I'm really glad I got a chance to play it. Even owning a PSP I never really bothered playing games on it. Well, besides Lumines and Wipeout.

Looking forward to ICO and SotC next!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TaurusOxford posted:

Dammit, I need this game already. Stupid Amazon taking their sweet rear end time to send it to me of course. :argh:

The second game looks really, really nice. Not PS3 quality, obviously, but pretty amazing for a PSP game. The first one is just alright. Both were fun to play.

Is there anyone left for Kratos to kill, assuming that there's a God of War 4 in the works somewhere? At this point he'd have to move on to other gods, right?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TaurusOxford posted:

My point was that Kratos had plenty of reason to be pissed off in GoW2 when the prior three games chronologically he has been hosed over multiple times.

He may have been hosed over, but that dude has personally killed every member of his family, save one. And the brother was a near miss. There is literally no one left for him to be mad at.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SpacePig posted:

Oh, man. That looks so bad. I'll try the demo, but I'm not really holding out any hope for it.

I watched the quick look on Giantbomb, and it looks kinda dumb. I dunno, my main Burnout game was Paradise, so I know I might be in the minority. I did try the 360 version of...3, maybe? The sense of speed was great, but I didn't particularly enjoy crash mode.

Paradise was the poo poo, though. Still is.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Did anyone else have audio issues playing GoW:Origins? In both games on the disc, it seemed like my front speakers were playing at an extremely low volume but my rear speakers were cranked. Only in gameplay, cinematics and menu stuff sounded normal. I even went through and disabled a bunch of the sound sets my receiver supports to try to limit it, but it still sounded messed up.

Other PS3 games sounded fine, so I don't know what the gently caress.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The game selection at the start of the ICO collection is art.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cbouncerrun posted:

I just picked up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection and the cover isn't reversible like I heard it was. :(

Then you got robbed because mine sure is! Seriously though if you slide the cove out of the plastic, the nice covers are on the other side.

I forgot how finicky the controls are in these games. It's taming me awhile to get used to them. The options menu for SOTC looks like it's in the wrong aspect ratio, unfortunately, but that's all I can see that's "bad" so far.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The themes included with the ICO collection kind of suck. Not really surprising, as almost every theme I've seen on the PS3 pretty much makes text impossible to read. Some of the bonus videos are good, even if I'm seen them before, and there's what looks to be some new footage of TLG in the video "walking in the footsteps of giants". At least I hadn't seen bits and pieces of what they showed.

Still haven't unlocked the new trailer or whatever. I'm guessing I'll have to beat one or both games for that.

SotC is really loving beautiful now. It's a crying shame that they didn't at least tweak the camera controls a bit. The camera feels like it's actively fighting you, as if it wants to show a very specific camera angle at a given time. If it would just not try to move after I move it, it'd be perfect.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Chairman Mao posted:

Though I guess that one colossus where you have to shoot it in the face while riding away was a bit of a pain in the rear end because of that.

Incidentally, getting on that god. drat. horse. :argh:

That one isn't so bad if you use L1 to center your view on him while targeting with your bow, then letting go of L1 when you're ready to actually aim.

gently caress getting on that horse, though.

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of themes are fine if you adjust wallpaper brightness. It's always full by default.

Good to know, thanks.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Speaking of the Team ICO collection: has anyone unlocked the new Last Guardian trailer? I beat SotC on Normal yesterday afternoon but don't see any new material in the bonus section.

I think I'm gonna try to get my first Plat with this game. It'll take awhile, since I don't wanna burn out and you effectively have to beat every Colossus four times, but otherwise they're pretty sane trophies.

Cartoon Man posted:

Use the lock on button more, its your friend. I also learned that by inverting the horizontal camera control, my brain could manipulate the camera a lot easier. Don't know if this is true for others or just a quirk of mine.

I have both vertical and horizontal inverted, the defaults just seem...weird. No inversion for aiming controls, though, because apparently my brain likes to make me jump through hoops.

To the guy having trouble: definitely use L1 to lock-on to a Colossus more, and if you're scaling a dude and having trouble try NOT moving the camera that much. When they start actively trying to toss you off the camera can get crazy, so just wait for that to finish before adjusting it.

On the Dead Space chat, I really enjoyed playing through the sequel. The first game was excellent, but the second really worked for me. Especially once you get the weapons upgraded a bit, you start really catching on to how effectively manage the monsters so you don't get overwhelmed quickly. I need to make a Zealot run at some point, maybe next year when I finally get through all the new games that are coming out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

the truth posted:

The 5th colossus is the best colossus.

...until you get to number 13. The first time you see that thing come out of the ground is a serious OH gently caress kind of moment.

Someone else mentioned it, but it definitely seems like some of the Colossi AI has been tweaked. It took me for.loving.ever to beat the 15th one because he just wouldn't stop shaking.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

the truth posted:

5 is a wild beast while 13 is more sedated, if I recall correctly. 5 does everything it can to gently caress you up and shake you off. But the coolest thing I've seen, and ne thing I never managed to do, was getting catapulted from 3's sword onto his head. I saw that on youtube and :aaa:.

Speaking of DLC, I'd spend as much as some of you waste on a CoD map pack for the colossi that didn't make it into the game the first time. It's disappointing that there is a big chunk of the east/right side of the map left unexplored.

True, but the way you have to actually get onto 13, using Agro, is just so drat awesome. I just beat 5 on Hard mode, and that dude was flipping over every few seconds it felt like. I did manage to pull off a jump from the center of his wings to his tail though, which always makes you feel like a bad rear end.

And yeah, I never really noticed that giant unexplored bit in the East until I was getting the 'save at every temple' trophy.

I want more Colossi!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
3 only has the weak spot on the arm when you're playing on hard.

Speaking of, 6 on hard is a MOTHERFUCKER. Keep your drat hand still!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

the truth posted:

5 is a wild beast while 13 is more sedated, if I recall correctly.

I know I already responded to this, but I just finished C13 on Hard after marathoning the first 12. 13 is just way, way better. ;) It's pretty loving incredible galloping your horse alongside this giant flying leviathan looking motherfucker, then jumping from the horse to it's loving wing to get on the drat thing. Then running down the thing's back and spotting your horse, still loving running down on the ground underneath you.

I forgot how much I love this game. Instead of more Colossi, they should have made a NG+ or Super Hard mode where you figure out which of the time trail items is required to take the things down. It's probably a good sign when I just find myself wanting more every time I play it.

quote:

But the coolest thing I've seen, and ne thing I never managed to do, was getting catapulted from 3's sword onto his head. I saw that on youtube and :aaa:

Yeah that's amazing! I tried that on the PS2 version when I first saw the video. I could never get it down. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The 15th Colossus, on hard mode, can eat a giant-sized dick and die. Motherfucker. He just doesn't stop shaking, and it takes forever to get back on the dude when you inevitably fall of him. And if you happen to fall underneath him, and he stomps on you? Instant death. I was trying to rush through hard mode so I haven't been grabbing fruits or lizards, but still. Instant death. gently caress right the hell off.

quote:

I don't mean to knock the game so much, I was just shocked out how much I didn't enjoy it. I'd heard how amazing it is for the past six years, got it without any trepidation, and was surprised how many flaws it has. Looking past the gameplay problems, I'll agree that it is an absolutely beautiful game.

I had a lot of problems remembering how to play the game at first, but the controls finally clicked in place and I don't have much issue now. Obviously if you're 8 in and still not digging it, then the game isn't for you. The important thing to remember about the camera (at least when fighting a colossus) is to not actually try to control it, or move it as little as possible. It'll take some wild swings when the dudes start shaking you off, and it's best not to even fight it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thinking about it more, I think SotC got a lot of praise when it came out (and since) simply because it's so unique. At the time, there weren't any other games with boss fights on the same scale. Games have done it since, but all of them have badass main characters. Of course Kratos can kill a four story monster, he's motherfucking Kratos. In SotC, all you have is a sword, bow, and a horse. It's one of those rare games thats able to capture people's imagination.

It helped that the graphics were mind blowing as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, I just wrapped up hard mode and the thought of having to kill another 32 Colossi to get plat is a bit daunting. Especially considering there are several time trials I'll have to do several times (like 15, seriously gently caress that guy). I don't think I got around to doing that in the original, either.

Also, there's a point right at the end of the game that has the worst controls by far. It's like playing through someone else's hands, or something. Terrible.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Horse controls are easy. Press and hold X and Agro will start with a trot, then go to a full gallop. He'll stay that way unless you let go of X or he runs into something. The thing to remember when steering is that Agro will basically control himself. Try it out on the land bridge to the northeast of the temple. Get Agro to a full gallop and he'll automatically turn at the right times.

It can be a pain in the rear end going through trees, though. Sometimes the horse will do alright by himself, other times not so much.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 2, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
There's nothing like trying to stab a colossus in the head using the down thrust move, but at the last second he moves his head and you fall to your death.

How much stamina do you need to get to the garden? I've never gotten up there on the PS2 version.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Chairman Mao posted:

Not loving Ico so far though.

Same here. I loved it the first time through, but this time it isn't grabbing me. I might save it back for when I don't have other stuff to play.

I just beat the 11th colossus (the first tiny dog looking thing) in a minute and a half! :D

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
In my head, I see the world's oldest game developer getting royalty checks every time they release a new version.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Pyruvate posted:

What scene? I played the whole thing but I don't know which one you're referencing

Maybe he means the QTE during which you punch a boulder?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's too bad Okami isn't on that list. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Did you try inverting them? I mean, the controls aren't great but there's options to help offset that. You can even turn off the 'cliff follow' or whatever they call it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Jesus christ am I far down the rabbit hole that is Shadow of the Colossus. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to clean up my remaining trophies before starting the hard mode time trials (I've already finished the normal ones). Fellas, it might not be good for your sanity to go for plat in this game. I thought that the white-tailed lizards were only near the save temples, so it'd be pretty easy to both max out your stamina bar and get the trophy for collecting all the lizards.

Wrong.

There are a fuckload more of those sons of bitches than you might think. The map you get helps, but it (a) only shows lizards that are close and (b) the lizards could be in a wide radius around the icon on the map. There are four on the southeast cliffs, for example, and it took me a good 45 minutes to find all four. And I'm pretty sure the game is glitching some of them, as I'll find one near the icon on the map but the icon will stay.

Then there's the trophy for getting all the fruit. This time there's a map that shows where everything is, but not proximity related. Great! But there's a couple of issues: one, each icon on the map means you're pixel hunting for 4 or 5 pieces of fruit. If that wasn't bad enough, once you shoot them down sometimes they fall into the ground geometry and you can't find them. To get those you'll need to save, reload, and come back.

If you're as dumb as I am, and think that SotC is one of your favorite games of all time and really want to get the plat, I'd probably recommend burning through normal, starting a NG+, then doing all the time trials to unlock the items. Once you have those, it's trivial to run through all of them again, picking up collectible poo poo along the way. You'll probably max out your health and stamina doing this, which will let you get the trophy for getting to the top of the temple.

I think I'm only really doing this as I'm leaving for vacation this weekend, and don't want to start something like Dark Souls or Deus Ex before I go. But goddamn do I love this game. It's a shame people won't give it a chance beyond the controls, but I can understand being picky about poo poo that you play. There have been several games I've only played for 10 minutes before sending back to Gamefly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cbouncerrun posted:

There are multiple lizards in some places. You need to leave and come back to get the next one to spawn.

And I think the lizard hunting won't even be close to how frustrating the Hard time trials will be.

It's been awhile, but I don't think I had trouble with them on the PS2 version. I know I didn't finish them all, and I'm sure I'll have issues with 15, so we'll see.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got all the fruit according to the map but the trophy still didn't unlock. Unless it's counting the fruit at the very top of the temple. There's also a lizard location FAQ on GameFAQs which proves that someone out there has the time and patience to do the poo poo that you don't want to. Namely scour the world looking for lizards. Hopefully I only have 10 or so left.

Tune in next time for more news about my Shadow of the Colossus addictionprogress!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ineffiable posted:

FYI, the fruit in the garden does count. You have to save it for last.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hope I have enough stamina on this play through to make it upere.

Fuzz posted:

Invert the horizontal camera controls. Bam.

Also you can rebind all the controls in the HD port, something you couldn't do in the original. So it looks like they kinda addressed your concerns.

... the lizards give stamina and health?! And there's fruit in the game? What? WHAT?

You don't understand man. He played the game for FIVE loving MINUTES which is more an enough time out of his busy 34 year old schedule.

And yeah, fruit in trees gives you health, white-tailed lizards will give you extra stamina.

BlindNinja posted:

I never beat SotC, but I made it through half the game on PS2 not knowing crap about lizards and fruits givimg stamina or health. Guess I'm just that effective :smug:.

I just did hard mode without any additional health or stamina. :whatup: (hard mode isn't that hard though)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Question Mark Mound posted:

But even if it's a custom emulator for each game, why not let you download each emulator for cheap as a launcher and continue using the PS2 discs I've paid for? From a consumer side of things, I get to save both money and HDD space.

Because Sony wants to get paid, yo

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Aphrodite posted:

No. There's clearly some sort of security hole in Xbox Live.

Nobody in that thread wants to admit it though because only lesser free services would be broken into.

You really think people are pretending that a hugely significant data breach isn't happening because they pay for Xbox Live? It's much more probable that "hackers" are getting people's passwords either by phishing or using account info from one of the many sites that were broken into to over the past year (Gawker, PSN, etc).

None of this has to do with PS3 games, though. So, speaking of Shadow of the Colossus *ignores groans from the crowds*...I spent a Long loving Time trying to find all those stupid loving lizards, eventually using the location FAQ because even with the in game tool to find them they're hard as hell to find. Still no trophy. I did a run through of the entire world and didn't see any popup, so I must have killed one and missed the tail or whatever the gently caress and now I can't get the trophy unless I start from the beginning again.

gently caress this Plat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

...! posted:

Speaking of development teams that are no more, Team Bondi went belly-up a few days ago. (They made LA Noire.)

Edge Online is reporting that not only do they owe money to their staff, they haven't finished paying for the fancy facial animation system in LA Noire. Oops.

quote:

I'm loving how the trophy list for Ico is two bronzes, four silvers, nine golds, and the plat. To be fair, there's really only so many things that you could conceivably give a trophy for in Ico so I'm hard pressed to think of another way they could have done it.

Read back through the thread on my ongoing efforts to plat SotC. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

...! posted:

You know, I'd started to think that I'd gotten really bad at Shadow of the Colossus but there seems to be a widespread consensus on multiple forums that the PS3 version is quite a bit harder than the PS2 version. The main cause of this seems to be that Wander gets shaken around much more easily, to the point that even if the colossus is just walking and not actively shaking, Wander still loses his balance and this makes it very hard to get a hit in on some colossi. Many people are saying that some of the time attacks are now nearly impossible because of this. It wasn't that big of a deal to me but it's definitely noticeable. Hopefully they'll patch it. :\

I was posting a lot about this a week or so ago, and I think I'll go back and load up a PS2 save to see if there's an actual difference. Number 15, specifically, seems to shake a HELL of a lot more than he ever did. I literally spent 45 minutes on him on hard mode. Granted, I wasn't getting any additional stamina or health and just playing straight through. But goddamn.

Trophy tips: don't bother with finding fruit until you've maxed your stamina. The quickest way to max stamina is to burn through colossi as quickly as possible, so do that. Collecting all the lizards is painful and slow as hell, not to mention buggy (so is collecting the fruit for that matter). If I had to do it over again, I'd go: Normal Mode, Time Trials (to unlock items), then NG+ until your stamina is maxed, THEN use the fruit lizard maps to get those trophies.

Even using the FAQ, finding the lizards is the worst loving thing in the world.

I've been out of the country for a week, so I think I'm going to stop playing SotC until I get bored by new games and feel like coming back. When I finished playing my last session, I was beginning to feel a bit abused.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best solution to project $10 is to buy your used games from Gamefly. Used game price and you get the code anyway.

As I was reading through this thread, I was planning on posting this. The only games I don't buy through Gamefly are games I knew I was going to buy anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, Uncharted 2 was a hell of a game. The train thing, the tank scene, fighting that damned helicopter, the other train thing, the snow level (which I found weirdly scary)...I'm sure I'm leaving bits out. Might need to do a speed run on both Uncharted's before 3.

After Batman.
And DX.
And hopefully before Assassins Creed.

• Locked thread