Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Policenaut posted:

I beat it the other day, it was a lot better than it was in the demo.
In a "the gameplay is fun" sort of way, or in a "I play imports because the plots are ever so cooky, never mind the gameplay" way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you seriously saying "it looks like a playable move" as a positive quality? I am waiting for games to get over that problem.
It has adorable awesome animation, and gameplay that looks a LOT like the classic (back when they were fun) JRPGs. The videos shows:

- Combat that looks decently fun
- An overworld, complete with dragon to fly around it with
- At least hints of exploration / more than walking down hallways

... not seeing much to dislike, at least from the trailer. I'm getting a sense of Dragon Quest here, only without the niggles that made DQ8 drag out (and 100% less Dragon Ball Z).

EDIT: The combat kinda looks like Pokemon-esque tossing out of little dudes, which you then manually control a bit like Star Ocean 2. Which could be pretty fun in theory. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 6, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Polite Tim posted:

Ok, so it turns out all the criticisms aimed at Dungeon Siege 3 don't really affect me in the slightest as i'm finding it an excellent purchase (£10 is an absolute steal)
Where are you seeing it that cheap? Amazon has the 360 version for $34, which isn't bad, and the PS3 for $40-ish, but not seeing anything lower.

... and here I could make a joke about the US dollar just being that weak, but no, seems it at least isn't quite that bad.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...well, Far Cry 2 was entertaining for a while, honestly I don't know why I stopped playing it exactly. For $20 maybe I'll give that but with super powers a try someday.
It isn't as open-world as Far Cry 2. Crysis is open-world like Far Cry 1 was open-world. There are limits to keep you in interesting areas, but within those areas you have free reign.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yechezkel posted:

The game is good, but there is very little replay value after the game is finished.
It's $15, who cares if it has replay value. The only games most people bother replaying anyways are big RPGs (or Metroidvanias) - and not every character-driven game has to be an RPG, and not every side scroller has to be a Metroidvania.

The question is more - is it fun for those (however many hours). That's the useful bit.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 10, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jamesman posted:

OK, I think I'm giving up on Saboteur. It was fun for a while, but now it's turned into some serious bullshit combined with some serious bugs.
Whenever this happens too often, just blow off missions for a while and go sneak around strangling Gestapo. If you try and power through the missions, you WILL get irritated, as they're fairly hit and miss. The world, however, is almost always fun.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Feenix posted:

Not worth it for 1/5th the asking price (of what I am assuming is going to be 15 bucks)?
From Dust is excellent, but has a slow build. It doesn't get really fun until a few levels in, when you're finally given a few of the more interesting powers. The level designs also get much more clever.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

SpacePig posted:

I don't really care about it returning to consoles with how powerful the Vita's looking to be. I just want them to come state-side again.:(
Eh, sure, Vita's powerful, but Vita is also still tiny and squint-prone.

I can't be the only one that won't touch Vita with a 10 foot pole but would buy a new Valkyria as a PSN game (with whatever visual bar they hit for Vita being super-powerful in ratio to its pixel count).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dominic White posted:

Trust me, you want to upgrade to LBP2. It's backwards compatible with 99% of LBP1 levels, and makes them look and run MUCH better. The new lighting engine and effects are great.
Is it inherently better, though, or is it just prettier?

Every time I look at LBP2, I can't help but think - "eh, yeah, I played that already, and I guess they made the graphics better." Is the content available substantially better than what I can play if I just go load up LBP1 again?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Feenix posted:

Jellifying Water seems weird. I get that you get that time and can do what you need to, (maybe have people pass an area without being swept away, but so far I haven't found a good use for it overall.
Jellifying Water is, probably, the single best power in the game.

It lets you deal with floods instantly (jellify before the surge hits), you can use it to let NPCs cross bodies of water without building a bridge (suck the water out of a path), etc. It's a big part of how I finally beat that desert map that turns into a watery oasis, and it's just generally awesome.

It also has the side effect of disabling dirt settling, which is cool when combined with the eventual infinite earth tool. You can build MASSIVE piles of dirt which only settle once jellify is over.

(and of course you can also do that with water, which is hilarious when the giant spike of water finally lets go... not recommended near any town, though, unless you're cool with an insta-drown)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

I read a Japanese write-up on Lollipop Chainsaw and one of the things someone on the publish side said made me uh...
"It's not scary. We want to make a zombie game even an OL (= Japanese office lady stereotype, think the girls in Mad Men) can play. We want to make an exciting action game that is cute but with a little violence".

I'm not sure Kadokawa and Grasshopper Manufacture are seeing perfectly eye to eye on this.
Er, do OL's like to play games with relatively exploitive/sexualized heroines? Or is that the disconnect?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

...! posted:

I'm sorry but this is the silliest complaint I've seen about a game in quite some time.
Seconded.

Complaining about giving the player more control, and suggesting that an RPG shooter be simplified to control more like a stealth-only game, after years of everyone bitching that console games simplify everything down to one button and take away player choice and how that hurts PC ports. And all for a game whose PC port is lauded as a return to form for PC gaming and deeper gameplay in general, no less. Just... :ohdear:

You can absolutely rush through DXHR standing up, guns blazing. You just need to spend your initial points toward the all-important armor, faster recharging, and the dual-enemy-takedown thing, and then the Typhoon. You then rush in, smash some people, take cover, eat snacks, etc. Yes, the TV studio is one area in the game where you really have to be careful, but even there, you can do it. Smashing heads, then ducking behind a printer until they cluster, then bursting into a Typhoon - that area was hilarious for how many people you could take down in a clump.

Or just grab a vending machine and laugh. Or use a combination of stand-up firing and predator mode to move around between bursts. Or just... don't, and instead stealth. But that's the point. Player choice. In an RPG shooter. Yay!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 19, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

EC posted:

Is there anyone left for Kratos to kill, assuming that there's a God of War 4 in the works somewhere? At this point he'd have to move on to other gods, right?
He could roll into the El Shaddai universe, and clean the clocks of all the designer-jeans-wearing douchebags over there.

(it would be cool to actually see a cross-over into the Christian mythos, but, US market... probably not)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 20, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

This is awesome. All the players playing Dark Souls before street date are being slaughtered by the devs. They're in-game, running around as a max-level character, just destroying anyone that's playing early.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Rueish posted:

What's wrong with what he's saying? I actually feel the same way.
Likewise. I really enjoyed them both, and Chrono Cross definitely gets my nod for best soundtrack of the two.

Chrono Cross was a slightly more grown up Chrono Trigger. A bit less saccharine, a bit darker. Less enthralling combat, but I enjoyed the story more, and a ton of side-plots to explore (but some of them for insufferable characters), so eh, it's a wash.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I'd still have to go with the Zeal theme / Corridors of Time for best in Chrono Trigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsj5xjoLXtE

... but, yeah, Chrono Cross. Zeal was great, but CC had many that still topped it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also just in general that new version of Home looks like...the only thing Home should have ever been, right from its launch.
It still doesn't seem worth starting up.

In all seriousness, if they actually want to make the Home stuff matter, I'd want to see turning on the PS3 become logging into a Home appartment. There's my avatar, and I have an overlaid XMB (and the avatar wanders over to the TV in sync with highlighting the game option, or checks the trophy cabinet when you go to the trophy section, etc). I'm just hitting buttons on the XMB, but the avatar thing is miming what I'm doing as I do it, and yay, it might at least make me chuckle if they're wearing a silly hat.

Add to all of that one last button, the "I just want to wander around" button, that drops me into Avatar mode and I can just explore. Now, hey, ok. I might actually hit that button if I was bored, occasionally. It isn't such a stretch if I'm already in the world, and it feels less like I'm intentionally loading a crappy half-game specifically to wander around doing nothing in it.

The only reason I give a poo poo (the tiniest poo poo) about the 360 avatar is because it's right there when I start up. So it's at least good for a short chuckle as I scroll by, if I've dressed it in stupid clothing.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Krad posted:

Hey, Binary Domain looks pretty cool, third person shooter-clone and all. I'm a sucker for AI/Snatcher ish settings. :shobon:
I was feeling it, right up until... they crouched behind a chest-high wall, in a corridor full of what appeared to be chest high walls. :bang:

Does the world really need another cover-based straight up shooter right now? This looks like Vanquish with a better plot but less interesting gameplay.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Megasabin posted:

#5. Way of the White Covenant- This one doesn't really make sense to me. I'll just copy / paste the information from the wiki. "This covenant is for helping out other players online. Players who are in this covenant will automatically be drawn closer to each other on the network. This makes Miracle Resonance easier to perform, as well as helps block people from antagonistic covenants from coming closer on the network."
This sounds like a covenant that tries to pair you with other nice players and requires you to play nice with them, at risk of being bounty hunted. Basically, it's the choice for people who hated Black Phantoms in Demon's Souls, and want to bend their game type in a more cooperative direction. Though who knows if the threat of being bounty-hunted will be enough to make this not the default griefer option. I imagine there's some other choice in there for people that love invasions, and want to skew themselves to the top of the likely-to-be-invaded pile.

... and this just makes me want to play the game even more. Though I wonder which I'll go for. On the one hand, invading as a black phantom was fun, but on the other, playing as a blue phantom and taking out the rear end in a top hat black just as he was about to take out the primary player - that was way cool too.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 26, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Policenaut posted:

You're very close to the end of the game. After you finish up with that, you head off to the final area of the game
You're also about to hit the third and most frustrating of the boss battles, depending on a choice you made, oh, about 3 hours ago.

If you made the choice the frustrating way - suggestion for that boss fight (mostly spoiler-free, but still spoilered just in case): the boss stays in the center, mostly, and there are only two paths through the center. Run around the periphery, and use audio queues to determine which of the two paths he's on, and huck a grenade dead-center into that path. Odds are good you'll hit, he'll be visible and stunned, and then you can lay into him with rockets, the laser rifle, etc. Or if you're using rockets period, you can skip the grenade, but the laser rifle won't stun him the same way.

EM grenades seemed to do nothing at all, but it was hard to tell. The little boxes you run by are usable (easy to miss, again, depending on the earlier choice you made), and one contains a laser rifle, if you have no heavy-hitting weapons to use once the dude is stunned.

He throws grenades and shoots a very heavy-hitting gun, and the grenade toss has a distinct sound - which you can easily hear even if you made the frustrating choice. So stun him, take a few pot shots, then get moving again the second you hear the grenades, or see him aiming his gun / not being stunned.

EDIT: VV Yes. You'll know the second the boss fight hits, there is no reason to spoil it.

EDIT2: and I have no grenade launcher, and I am past that boss fight :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 26, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Pandanaut posted:

For those that were wondering Journey is coming out next year. :(
This is a good thing. This fall and Christmas is ridiculously packed with giant releases - Journey coming out next year will hopefully mean it isn't suffocated under the combined might of Arkham City, Elder Scrolls 5, Dark Souls, etc, etc, etc.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

the truth posted:

5 is a wild beast while 13 is more sedated, if I recall correctly. 5 does everything it can to gently caress you up and shake you off. But the coolest thing I've seen, and ne thing I never managed to do, was getting catapulted from 3's sword onto his head. I saw that on youtube and :aaa:
As someone that had never seen this, sharing it for ease of :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9hgQfmRBw

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

Okay goons, should I jump straight to Dark Souls or is Demon Souls worth playing first? I'm leaning towards grabbing Demon Souls but not knowing much about the series I'm not sure what the deal is here. Educate me please.
It's a straight-up action RPG with no bullshit, and no hand holding. The controls are precise and physical, and if you fail to use the controls to your advantage, skeletons will cave your head in with a pike. Repeatedly. It's also a game in which every single "If I did this in reality, bad thing X would probably happen" observation you'll make will actually happen in-game. You'll learn to not taunt the fire-breathing dragon by poking its nose, not try and get a closer look at that deadly arrow throwing contraption that is throwing deadly arrows at you, not experiment with whether you can survive a 20 foot steel pike being shot at you by a magical ball of goo without at least raising your shield, etc.

It's a great game - if you can get over dying in the process of figuring things out. You will lose some currency when you die that could have been paid toward upgrading yourself / your equipment, and you need to be able bridge the mental gap to realizing that said currency loss is largely irrelevant.

You'll also probably restart once, as you realize the choices you made early on weren't so great - or you'll just read a FAQ.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dominic White posted:

That only works on the assumption that this is an either/or thing. If they've got a working software emulator, there's nothing stopping them from letting people with disc copies play via it, and then selling cheaper digital versions for those without the games, or those who want to replace physical with digital media.
"There's nothing stopping them from letting all users use Playstation+ for free."

"There's nothing stopping them from just giving away the emulated titles for free."

"There's nothing stopping developers from giving away DLC for free"

Etc.

There is a cost associated with making that emulator, as with everything else, and this is a for-profit business. This is a feature/product, so yes, they're going to charge for it - hopefully it'll just be a reasonable cost.

Rirse posted:

Since these are going to be the original version, can anyone with a 60 GB PS3 tell us how the games look with their "smooth and upscale" option?
Pretty much identical to how you remember them looking on CRT televisions.

That smooth-and-upscale really doesn't make them look noticeably better, it just makes things look better on sharper LCD/plasma big screens.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 3, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Stuff like this and this and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufKRjpftmI

make God Hand worth playing, if you have even the slighest love of beat-em-ups. (watch until the end - there's a poison chihuahua)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 3, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Words cannot describe the size and nature of my erection.
Sure they can, you just don't read enough romance fiction.

Anywho, do tell how it is. And how many times you die in the tutorial section.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

...! posted:

Hey everyone, don't forget that the free Portal 2 DLC is out today!
For once, even the 360 people got it free. Still no idea how Valve pulled that one out of their hat.

I hope that's a continuing trend, and eventually we see the 360-side get Steam too. It would be totally boss to FINALLY be able to cross-play between PC, 360 and PS3. But... eh, probably not this generation.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Millions posted:

Also, God Hand... How awesome is it?
It has poison chihuahuas, you get to punch Elvis, and at one point you pick a fight with a Gorilla in a luchadore outfit just because. It's also an amazing beat-em-up with great physicality and spanking combos.

It is awesome.

(but only get it if you have a reasonable tolerance for difficulty in games - it gets a bit tricky, around the 3rd chapter)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sony lined up quite a few decent titles for the "Only on PSN" event. It only took them, what, 3 years, but they finally seem to have an event that challenges the Summer of Arcade.

Really glad to see Sideway and Rochard on there in particular. Those got announced earlier this year, and looked to be pretty promising indie titles. Okabu could be interesting too, and it's nice to see Rocketbirds finally making it to market (they've been in dev for, what, a couple years now).

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Stelas posted:

As I recall, Royal actually tended to be one of the better ones to start with as a new player just for the ring you got.
Royal was also the hardest starting class for newbies, though, given their reduced stats in the area of "being able to take a beating." The barbarian, on the other hand, is pretty tanky even at the start.

Either way, advice: DO NOT go "stealth." Don't try and make a back stabbing ninja. Anyone can backstab in the game, even dudes with giant swords, and if you go the route of small bitey daggers, especially if you're that + magic (thief mage), you will hate yourself mid to late game.

Either go bulky sword dude, or no armor RAAAGH barbarian dude, or sword + magic dude. Don't do what I did, and try for dexterity + magic, and then get stuck late-game. (I could still technically beat it, but, it would be nightmarish)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

BlindNinja posted:

I had the opposite experience. After struggling with the Thief on my first playthrough, I created a Royal and breezed through 4 stages and bosses almost never dying. Soul Arrow allows you to cheese the game, at least through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2. My PS3 died so I never got to see how the Royal worked out later on. The key was not to get hit. But I had no trouble switching to me Crescent Falchion and Shield when needed and hacking away for a few seconds. However, once you "figure the game out," it's not super hard period. I'm sure my 200 deaths with the Thief helped me. Having no trouble on my third character (Knight), and I also like a sword/shield character who can often let my armor eat up damage when I don't feel like blocking/feel like being a badass.
Magic is great... when you're not out of it. To cheese the game as a Royal involves sitting on your butt for extended periods while your power sloooowly regenerates.

If you have the patience for that, great. I ultimately did not, and so tended to run in with my magic/stealthy dude once my magic was out, or save the magic for harder fights - which works, as you say, so long as you do not get hit. So it was totally playable, just frustrating, since my margin for error was much lower than it was for someone playing a more melee-focused build.

... but. For those battles you can cheese, yes, magic is stupidly overpowered. Tower Knight was hilarious for that (watched a ton of melee'ers die to stompy feet), but again, super slow. Run out onto catwalk, pew pew, run back to where he can't hit, and... stand still, for a few minutes.

EDIT: My "thief mage" started as a royal, and then I pumped points into dexterity and magic - I spent the last half of the game wearing that black cloth/silk/whatever armor, and favored spears/daggers. It was the lack of ability to wear decent armor or wield the massive-damage thumpy weapons that caused the frustration. With maneater, for instance, if I had had a weapon that did massive damage per hit, I could have scored those few hits and then kept dodging - but with knives and pikes, those fights were inevitably drawn out, and especially with maneater, that just meant more chances for you to insta-fall to your death.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 7, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

SpacePig posted:

I think what ended up turning me off to more of Demon's Souls was that, after the Tower Knight, none of the other bosses gave me the same sense of triumph. the Fool's Idol was super-boring, and the Armor Spider was actually sort of broken in my opnion, so I wasn't having fun anymore. The areas after them were just a huge grind for me, so I just stopped and never went back.
... yeah, pretty much :/

The game had serious pacing issues, where by the time you were fighting the end bosses, that was basically ALL you were fighting. I was stuck on Maneater, but even if I'd beaten him, all I had to look forward to was Yellow Hat Man, that swamp area boss, that flying ray boss thing, and then the final final boss. No levels, just bosses, assuming you did them in the proper sideways order.

But even so - the first 2/3rds were more than cool enough to make up for that. Best action RPG I'd played in a loooong time. Just kind of petered out at the end.

(and I think my favorite boss was actually Flameater, even if he was a cheap rear end in a top hat - with him, I totally threw my hands up and did a victory dance when he went down. Second was the Tower Knight, because it was the bossiest boss fight I'd done in years. Third favorite was probably the tongue dude in the area with the staircases, since I took him out first try and just felt like a complete bad rear end doing it.)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 7, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Polite Tim posted:

I would argue that the Maneater fight in 3-2 is worse than the whole of world 5.
This. Valley of Defilement sucked, but really, it wasn't THAT bad. It even had some kind of cool what-the-gently caress moments (that red phantom cthulhu dude... christ).

Most the lovely areas, you could just blow by. There was very little reason to tromp through the swamp and explore unless you just HAD to find all the items. Which we all of course did, but still.

(EDIT: mind, it DID still suck, just, compared to Maneater, its bullshit-level was at least tolerable)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 8, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Rakanakle posted:

It gets really annoying to have to spend so much time backtracking though. It's fun to explore new areas but having to run through the same areas over and over to get to blacksmiths or merchants is so boring. I can kill dragons like nothing, least they could do is set up shop at Firelink.
The bonfire system is, I think, a lot more user-friendly when you're learning the ropes. Deaths are no where near as aggravating as they were when you popped all the way back in the Nexus, then had to find the stone, remember which stage you were on, pop in, run ALL the way back to the end of the stage, etc.

The missing element is teleportation between the bonfires... which, I gather is actually possible, but only if you join the right Convenant. That right there's the only issue.

EDIT: VV Oh, sweet! Then yeah, I totally dig the Bonfire system without reservation.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 10, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Behonkiss posted:

Does anyone else think that Sideway: New York, which is apparently coming out tonight on PSN, could be pretty great? At least style-wise it looks very slick.
It'll probably have to wait until I've gotten Dark Souls out of my system, but yeah, it's one of the top PSN games I'm looking forward to. I love stylish platformers :3:

Kinda hoping the world's actually explorable / hub-based, rather than strict levels. Suppose we'll see though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I said come in! posted:

It seriously is. It takes everything that was great about DX1 and makes it even better. If you haven't played DX:HR yet, you're missing out on the best game of the year and really one of the best games ever.
It is... with one, slight, flaw. By the end of the game, a decent player will have acquired enough points to max out everything worth maxing out. Even mid-game, most of the side paths end up being paths anyone can take, there are seldom paths that require abilities you don't have yet.

So yes, it is good, but they kind of fubbed the "customize your character and go through the game in a particular way" bit. Being able to take ANY of the paths makes the paths seem less interesting, and you tend to end up back tracking through some of the optional paths just because they're there and you can.

Oh, and the bosses. Seriously, what the gently caress.

But that aside, yes, it is amazing, and in every way lives up to DX1. Depending on how much the above annoys you, you'll end up thinking DX:HR is even better, or, just that DX:HR is a worthy successor with some flaws.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

So, finally tried Rochard. That's easily one of the best Metroidvania-esque thingies I've played this year. The music is great, puzzles are clever, gameplay's tight, and I love John Rochard himself as a character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJJshpFD3s

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

So, Rocketbirds on PSN. Did anyone buy the full version?

I was super hyped for it, but after trying the demo, it seems... well, bad. The music is excellent and the art's pretty boss (which made for great trailers), but the actual mechanics appear to be complete rear end. It controls awkwardly, every single level appears to be "go from left to right and hold down the trigger," and even the shooting feels limp and relatively crappy. They throw down a few colored keys to doors, I guess to break it up, yet those keys are never even remotely hidden and you usually just stumble across them as you're running from left to right holding down the fire button. Then you find a rocketpack, with similarly poo poo controls and dull gameplay.

Kinda curious if it gets any better, or if this is... it?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

gameday posted:

You just said your first console was an N64.

:(
... fuuuuuucck. Yeah, now i feel old.

Seconding the Strangehold love, in any case. The end boss made me want to pitch a controller through my TV, but the game was on a whole really, really fun. I assume you can get it these days for $2 and some pocket lint, so it's very much worth picking up if you're otherwise bored. Using tequila time to aimed-shot people in various body parts including but not limited to the groin never, ever, got old. Tons of awesome animation variations there.

It's been ages now, but I... think?... the PS3 version was indeed the copy to get. You got the Blueray movie, and I want to say the 360 version just ran like rear end in general. But maybe that was one of the early titles where the 360 version looked better or something, god only knows at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Wait, you could do non-groin aimed shots in Stranglehold? What's the point of that?
If you shoot them in the ears, they make funny faces and do slowmo grabs for where you shot them.

Also, you should shoot them in the hand to disarm them, THEN shoot them in the groin! Or at least I think you could. My only clear memories of that game are diving like a maniac onto serving carts, the 80's apartment with the glass block walls and the lasers, and the big fragile boat with the big fragile dragon and the big fragile jazz quartet in the basement.

• Locked thread