Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What's the best way I can use my ps3 controller on my PC so I can play games like Dead Island with it? Motiononjoy or whatever?

Yeah, the motioninjoy drivers are the only ones that I've been able to get to work successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

Just moved across the country (well two countries). Again.

Since you're not dead, up for Buzz! this weekend?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Really, it's just a good year to have a lot of money and no work to attend. Like, a trust fund kid. A good year for them.

Finally, they catch a break.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only really ever hear of Crysis being used as a graphics benchmark on the PC, I have no idea how good or bad it is as an actual game.

I liked the first part of it, then halfway through the game everything radically changes and I gave up on it because I wasn't having fun with it anymore.

Swimming around in "zero gravity" with no ammo anywhere so having to punch a bunch of mermaids to death through a giant maze is not my idea of a fun time

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I'm not stuck on it anymore. I got the Aurora, and I finally managed to beat it with less than a second to spare. Someone should put up a video or something because I have no idea why it's so easy for you guys and why it was so difficult for me.

Now I keep having problems with my game freezing. It's happened three times during story missions.

That unfortunately will happen, the game is buggy, and Pandemic were fired as soon as the game went gold, so the game couldn't be patched. Worth all the headaches though, it's just a shame they all lost their jobs on the eve of their best release.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Jamesman posted:

OK, I think I'm giving up on Saboteur. It was fun for a while, but now it's turned into some serious bullshit combined with some serious bugs.

I'm on this one mission that's annoyingly long, and now I'm in the part where I'm riding in the gunner turret of a truck that's being driven by the worst AI while being chased by a shitload of nazis, and I have to shoot them and prevent he truck from being blown up. Will, the bullet spread is annoying large, the truck swerves all over the place so I can't keep my sights on the enemy vehicles, and the damage being dealt to the truck is absurd (probably on account of the difficulty setting). I can't beat it.

To top it off, an NPC is apparently located nearby all this carnage and is sometimes getting killed by the nazis, which instantly fails the mission for me. There's nothing I can do to stop them or anything since I'm on rails and I can't even see him or anything. It's just "THIS GUY DIED YOU FAILED" which is loving great.

I'm pretty sure you can change the difficulty in-game, why don't you just turn it down? The game is better played on an easier difficulty anyway, avoid some of the bullshit and get to focus on killing Nazis.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

stachatoryR posted:

Picked up the Infamous 2 bundle and now finally own a PS3. I also picked up God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Infamous (1), and Prototype.

Are there any other PS3 exclusives that I can't live without? Anything obvious?

If a tactical WW2-esk RPG appeals to you, and you have a tolerance for anime, you might want to look at Valkyria Chronicles (the gameplay makes up for the really bad story).

Moo-oink!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

In PSN-download news, I wanted to briefly touch on From Dust and Renegade Ops:

From Dust is slow, calm, and yet can be very frustrating. I found the SECOND level to require about 6 restarts before I kindof got the general idea. Then I got to the 3rd or 4th level, (the first with Lava) and I ended up playing that stage over 90 minutes (not from dying) just because it was a battle between getting 100% palm tree population, and lava catching my trees and villages on fire from time to time.

It's a neat game that I will EMPHATICALLY say is not for everyone. I'm not even sure it's for *me*. But I so far kindof dig it.

Renegade Ops: My Share group made me get this. I knew gently caress all about it until I downloaded it. What it is: Top down twin stick vehicular shooter from Avalanche (the Just Cause 2 guys.) What you need to know: It's cheesy, hokey, and goddamn fun so far. It's a big go-anywhere map, you choose 4 'characters' (vehicles) with guns and a special weapon, you blast poo poo, nitro around, spin out, jump ramps, call in air-strikes, and gently caress poo poo up, all in a physics-y environment that looks (and behaves) like you're watching Just Cause 2 from the sky or something. It's not going to win any awards, but I was SHOCKED at how fun and refreshing Y.A.T.S.S.* could be.

*Yet Another Twin Stick Shooter.

What exactly is From Dust? I noticed it was released and kind of ignored it, but you've piqued my curiosity.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

Okay, hang the gently caress on for a minute. I ran through about 4 maps on From Dust yesterday. I even saved. Today my only option is "New Game" or "Challenge Mode".

Really?

REALLY?!

Yep. All my saves are gone with a timestamp from yesterday... but JUST for this game.

Eat giant dicks, From Dust. I'm this close to calling you a wash and moving on.

I played 5 maps of it last night, now you're worrying me

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Mustach posted:

So the DVD side of Netflix is becoming "Qwickster" and Qwickster will have the option to rent videogames. I know at least Samurai Sanders has before mentioned wanting games with the speed of Netflix, so I thought I'd mention it here.

This should probably kill Gamefly, Gameflys shipping is still super-slow. I know they apparently won a lawsuit that was supposed to force the USPS to give them equal treatment, but it's clearly not in effect yet. I've been using it again for the last 4 months, and if I send in a game on Monday, I'm extremely lucky to get another game back by Friday, often it's Saturday or the next Monday (and I'm not that far from a distribution center).

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Is PSN down or is it just me? Can't login, and my buddy who brought his PS3 over can't either.

It's down.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Feenix posted:

While I'm here, let me ask. I have that 2-person melee takedown upgrade. But I've never used it. How do you use it? Just do a takedown on a guy, when another guy is NEAR the guy you are taking down? Whats the general range?

Yeah, if there's another guy reasonably close, take one guy down and he'll go after both in the "cutscene". Not sure what the range is but I've activated it with the other guy a few steps away at least.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Instead Mafia 2 ended up as a game where the only unique game mechanic that sets it apart from the dozens of other games that do the exact same thing is that you have to obey traffic laws. Which makes the game infuriatingly unfun.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Dominic White posted:

That only works on the assumption that this is an either/or thing. If they've got a working software emulator, there's nothing stopping them from letting people with disc copies play via it, and then selling cheaper digital versions for those without the games, or those who want to replace physical with digital media.

Sure there is, they want 100% of all proceeds instead of not getting any money from people who already have the game or buy a disk copy used. It may not be a customer-friendly reason, or a good one, but they really have no reason to let you play games that in general they will get no money from you playing, when the alternative is to get more money out of you by re-releasing it digitally.

Of course a more brilliant alternative would be to allow PS2 disk emulation as a PSN+ feature and/or with a monthly fee, then they get the best of both worlds.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

sentrygun posted:

Instead of people complaining back and forth about if SotC needs improved controls, can we just agree that it's not a game for everyone?

I think you should know better that no one can agree to that in this thread.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

But even if it's a custom emulator for each game, why not let you download each emulator for cheap as a launcher and continue using the PS2 discs I've paid for? From a consumer side of things, I get to save both money and HDD space.

But what if it's not a custom emulator, what if they're just changing the game code to remove any instructions that called the emotion engine, and instead are changing the instructions to call the equivilient graphics processor in the PS3 (which is probably what they are doing)? I'm not sure any software would allow a disk-based version to run in that case, you'd need the new game code.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

...! posted:

I've platted the game and I've never heard of a Tempest button.

For the first boss, hit him with either your taser or an EMP grenade and then open up on him with your heavy weaponry while he's in his stun animation. Shouldn't take more than two or three rounds of that.

You know, I'd started to think that I'd gotten really bad at Shadow of the Colossus but there seems to be a widespread consensus on multiple forums that the PS3 version is quite a bit harder than the PS2 version. The main cause of this seems to be that Wander gets shaken around much more easily, to the point that even if the colossus is just walking and not actively shaking, Wander still loses his balance and this makes it very hard to get a hit in on some colossi. Many people are saying that some of the time attacks are now nearly impossible because of this. It wasn't that big of a deal to me but it's definitely noticeable. Hopefully they'll patch it. :\

I'm sure he means Typhoon. Which is hands down the best way to cheese every boss fight.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

...! posted:

Just FYI, Homefront went up on the PSN Store for $39.99 today... but under the Special Deals section they have a bundle that says it's the full Homefront game + all DLC for $34.99. I think my brain just exploded. Anyway, just a heads-up for anyone who was looking to purchase the game.

If you have PSN+ you can get a free 60 minute trial, you can beat almost 50% of the single player campaign in that time.

I actually liked the Homefront single player campaign, it was kind of fun, but I beat it in just under 4 hours and sent it back to Gamefly. If you're not in it for the multiplayer, it's literally a one-sitting rental at best.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Personally, I'm holding out hope that GoW4 is about a redeemed Kratos who no longer is filled with hatred opening a cake shop in modern day New York.

Well they showed clips of him watching over future wars, so they can spin off a new series, "Call of Kratos", a quick time event FPS.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Call of Duty already is a quick time event FPS.

You can't have too many, people never get tired of them.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Armor-Piercing posted:

Store update is live.

Interestingly, you can buy Fight Night Champion's Champion Mode independently of the full game for $5.

If I liked Fight Night Round 4's career mode, but didn't really care for the other modes, is it worth 5 bucks? Not sure how different it is, I know you can't play as a custom boxer in Champion, can you still train up different stats to climb up the ladder and improve, or is it just a series of preset fights?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Wow, I was all set to buy these off Amazon. What would you recommend around the same price range?

I bought these a few months ago, plugged them into my sound system, and they are fantastic, although it appears Amazon is a bit picked over at the moment. They're not surround sound or anything like that, but they seem to be pretty good if you don't want to pay 150+ (assuming you have something to plug it into, I'm not sure if the PS3 has the appropriate jacks by itself, I've never looked, but presumably your TV would).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s00_i00_details

Palleon fucked around with this message at Nov 10, 2011 around 23:09

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I said come in! posted:

For those who signed up for that free $5.99 credit, how long did it take for you to get your code? It's been over 3 days now and I haven't gotten it yet in my e-mail.

I got mine the next day (probably about 16 hours). Filled it out Saturday night, got it when I woke up Sunday morning.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

HEVampersand posted:

What was the goonsensus on Homefront? It's $9.99 today only at EB Games/Gamestop for us Canadians.

The single player was kind of neat but it's literally a 3-4 hour game and you really should only think about getting it as a rental if you have nothing else to do.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Dominic White posted:

The hilarious thing is that the Move is perceived by most players as being wildly inferior, so nobody complains when you start headshotting them from across the map with a chunky full-auto support weapon!

Sony really screwed up on marketing that controller. They should have pushed it harder as being a pinpoint-accurate device for core gamers in addition to being ideal for casual gaming, too. Glad to see a little more stuff supporting it now.

Meanwhile I tried to use the Move controller to play Killzone 3, and I found it to be so inaccurate and difficult to use that I had to use a regular controller. In the first level after the tutorial, I used every single bullet I had in my gun and couldn't kill even a single guy, and I tried recalibrating the thing 4 or 5 times to try to find a deadzone that would work appropriatly for me.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

sentrygun posted:

I haven't played much of it, but I always hear that Resonance of Fate is pretty unique and fun and from what I have played of it, I don't really have any reason to disagree. Aside from that, despite looking for them pretty hard, I haven't found much in the way of JRPGs that aren't garbage.

I've heard mixed things about White Knight Chronicles that were too far on the negative end of the spectrum for me to go pick it up, and Final Fantasy 13 is really you love it or you hate it. I enjoyed it up until Gran Pulse (~18 hours in I think? probably more) and then it really started to wear on me. I'd have actually preferred it to stay as a hallway the entire game, but I'm probably in the minority on that opinion. No clue about FFXIII-2, haven't really looked much into it.

EDIT: Disgaea 4 is excellent if you like SRPGs, but they're not really the same as the standard JRPG so I didn't think to mention it. If it's your cup of tea though, you'll probably love it, especially if it's your first time coming into the Disgaea series.

If I can piggyback on this, while I've heard awful things about White Knight Chronicles, the second game is down to 30 bucks on Amazon right now (I think it was even 20 at one point), is it so bad that getting both games for 25 or so is still not worth it?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Harlock posted:

My annual, 'Make a Bladestorm 2' plea for all developers reading out there.

The Bladestorm Demo was the first thing I ever downloaded off PSN, and was the second game I ever bought. It was actually kind of a surprisingly fun game for seemingly no one ever mentioning it.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Ok.

MLB 12: The Show (like the rest of the franchise) loving owns and is now keeping me from playing ME3.

Throwin' knuckleballs all over the place in memory of Tim Wakefield's career

Other than the move controls, and an updated roster, is there any significant difference from '11 to make me get it? I got 11 while I had 10 because they made major improvements to the RTTS mode (which I play almost exclusively), anything changed in that?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

SpacePig posted:

AC2 introduced smoke grenades. Why are you guys doing so much fighting? I'll admit it's tedious when the game forces it, but how often is it that you can't just push someone or throw a grenade and then run away?

Because it takes less effort and time to stab 5 guys with chain kills than it does to throw a smoke bomb and find a hiding place.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Tamagod Sushi posted:

If I remember right all the DLC got you was more hiding spots and the ability to see some polygonal French ta-tas.

Edit: Some quick research reveals:

'All fresh copies of the game will ship with a code to download DLC, called "The Midnight Show," for free. The pack contains new Parisian hiding spots, a new minigame and, for better or for worse, the option to unlock nudity in the game.'

I'm pretty sure it was on disk, because there was an option in-game in the options menu to enable nudity, but you could only change it if you downloaded the unlock code. So either it was all on-disk, or the disk was made under the assumption that that those features would be available on launch, but not on disk for some reason.

The biggest insult about the Saboteur is not only was it the best game Pandemic had ever done, they were fired the second the game went gold, so before the game even hit shelves, the chance of any further patches/expansions were gone.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Harlock posted:

Yeah, I got it with the Collector's Edition as well and thought it was extremely underwhelming as DLC. The mission itself is extremely shallow and quick to do and really wasn't as cool as I thought it might be. I ended up never using the character in the game except for 1 mission.

The mission from the DLC itself isn't that great, but the character I think is absolutely essential to the plot, he reveals so much, and adds so much backstory to certain missions, that it's really almost mandatory.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Bioware fans are the absolute worst.

I mean, I haven't seen the ending yet (should get there later today! I just pulled an ME3 all-niter ) but there's no way it's bad enough that it justifies complaining to the BBB and organizing protests and poo poo.

Still, Justin McElroy summed up my feelings on this decision (and a lot of my problems with the game) just now

Pretty much every industry person I'm following on twitter is... let's say strongly against the ending change.

People complaining to the BBB are obviously over the top, but the ME3 ending is just awful. It is inconsistent with the rest of the game, it's inconsistent with itself, it's full of plot holes, it's just objectively bad. Especially for a 100+ hour trilogy that you had to spend around 180-200 bucks on to play, it's a horrific ending, and them releasing a new ending is pretty much the only way that I'll even consider buying another Bioware product. But to each their own.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

SpacePig posted:

It's one thing to complain about the ending; I certainly didn't like it. It's anothing thing entirely to bring something to the BBB, or to attempt to sue for false advertising.

I'm not defending the ending by any means, it's dreadful, but to complain hard enough that the company decides to re-tool the ending so everyone just shuts up seems to me some sort of insane, manbaby-esque entitlement that makes me agree with the sentiments towards hardcore BioWare fans. People are bad on both sides of the coin, though, so it's hard to criticize anyone besides BioWare.

I think it's okay to blame Bioware just because, somewhere along the line, someone should have said "wait a minute, is this really how we're going to end the game?".

Ultimately, the guy who wrote the ending had too much power, there was a disconnect, and the whole thing could have been avoided if Bioware just communicated better between the head writer and the other writers. But now they're in the situation they're in, a lot of people are pissed, it's going to affect DLC sales, so they have to do something, it's just a matter of what and when. But I don't want to turn this thread into ME3 bitching thread number 3, so I'll just leave it at that.

But I do agree that everything with ME3 up to the last 5-10 minutes was really amazing. It wasn't 95% of the game that was good, it was 99%. It's just that the last 1% soured that previous 99%. Someone said it best in the other thread:

"My brother and I compared it to eating a stack of pancakes and getting to the bottom and finding a turd hidden under the last pancake. The pancakes were great but the turd at the end turns you off to pancakes entirely."

Palleon fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2012 around 16:40

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Spermando posted:

That's pretty lame if true, but I don't see why it caused so much outrage.

Because you didn't invest 100+ hours into a trilogy promising the exact opposite. It's very hard to understand why people are upset at the ending if you haven't played it and are invested in the story, if you're looking at it from an outside view, of course you're not going to understand why the people who played it are upset.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

the truth posted:

Weren't the writers for the series something like this?

ME: A
ME2: A+B
ME3: B

I think people liked Mr. A and hated Mr. B.

The head writer for 1 and 2 went on to The Old Republic, so a conversation writer (who did a great job with Garrus in 1 and 2) became head writer, and it's pretty clear that while he's great in small-scale stuff, he's not capable or qualified to do big picture stuff.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Is the article spoiler free?

There are no direct spoilers, but he does mention one of the general problems people had with the endings (that they're all essentially the same), so probably best to avoid it if you don't want to know what's going to be coming just to be safe.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I know I won't be buying a next generation console for quite a while. I still have a lot of games to go through on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. New consoles never have good games for a real long time, plus hardware and reliability issues will no doubt exist on the first generation run of these new consoles.

That's why to me BC is important for the launch of new consoles. If I can play my old games on it, then maybe I'll take the plunge and pay to be an early adopter, play the 1-2 good games that are out the first year, and if I don't have anything else to play, can finish off my PS3 backlog. But if I can only play PS4 games on it, then there's really not a rush to go out and buy it when the available library is pretty tiny.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

...! posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/m...r-offers-furth/

EA is going to release the Mass Effect 3 revised ending for free. Apparently even they know people won't put up with them charging for it. I might be tempted to rent the game again just to see the new ending.

It's not a new or revised ending, it's a "clarified" ending, their press release seems to indicate it will just be an additional epilogue, but they won't be changing the ending or adding any new ones.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I played Monster Hunter on the Wii, and honestly I don't get it. The game was pretty boring.

I played it for the PSP, and it seemed like it could have been fun, but I got sick of it because of the horrible control decision to have you move with the analogue sticks but control the camera with the pad. Since it's pretty much impossible to do both at the same time without holding the controller in the most unintuitive and uncomfortable position imaginable, I just gave up on it.

I really don't get why it's so hard for people to design decent control schemes for games, this one could have been found by simply letting someone play the game, and asking "can a normal human being play this game", and when finding out the answer is no, addressing the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Cbouncerrun posted:

I don't see much use for Cloud saving unless you go to different PS3s a lot. It could help me keep my locked saves when I get a new PS3 I guess.

Or for those of us who lost their original PS3 and all save data on it, and want the security blanket of knowing that if our new PS3 dies, we won't lose everything again.

«2 »