Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

As somebody who just went from the default 40 GB hard drive to a 300 GB one, I can attest to the fact that replacing your PS3 hard drive is so goddamn easy and takes all of three minutes.

One counterpoint: If you're using one of the original model PS3's, the screws are made out of butter, and if you're not careful, you'll strip and shred them the second you put a screwdriver to it, making it a much bigger pain in the rear end to swap out. If you have one of the non-launch fat models or a slim however, they seem to have invested in screws made out of actual metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
3 was my first (and only) Yakuza game, I ended up getting it because of all the love it got here. I personally found it to be really slow and boring, but I also really found the combat to be too basic and not that fun. I got maybe halfway through the game, put it down for a bit, my ps3 died and took the save with it, and I don't think I could suffer through the boring first half of the game to get back to where I was.

The game did teach me that apparently in Japan, you will be assaulted on literally every single street corner by thugs that make up approximately 40% of the entire countries population.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is there still a White Knight Chronicles thread somewhere? I just looked through the first 10 pages or so and didn't see one. I grabbed it recently for cheap on Amazon, and I'm actually enjoying it (although I can imagine the grindy quests may change my mind later), but was hoping that others were still playing/starting it so I could possibly get in on some of the co-op quests without resorting to randomly diving into strangers games.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

White Knight Chronicles is better than people gave it credit for. I never played the sequel though, so it might've been even better. I remember not liking the PSP one.

It has flaws, but they're (so far) the same flaws that seemingly every Japanese RPG has had for the last several years. I don't expect much from the story, characters, or voice acting, so I won't even ding that, so the biggest flaw seems to be the focus on super-grinding. I'm not sure why this is in all these games, I guess Japanese developers think that people enjoy doing mundane tasks for tens of hours for minor rewards? But as far as I can tell, they're all optional, so I'm doing the ones I want to do, ignoring the rest, and while it's nothing groundbreaking, it's an enjoyable enough game (still playing the first one, the second game disk comes with both games) considering the genre is pretty much dead on consoles so you don't have a lot of options.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Dead Island is Borderlands with a melee focus, it was a fun game for what it was. If you liked Borderlands, and can find some friends who also get it who will play with you, you'll have a fun time with it. I didn't bother with any of the DLC because it was horribly reviewed, but I had a good time with the base game playing with a friend.

vvv If you didn't like Borderlands, I really doubt you'd like Dead Island unless you have a fetish for cutting body parts off of zombies.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 22, 2012

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Burnout Paradise is also on PSN, and I know I had a blast with it when we still did retro-PS3 saturdays and got groups together to play.

PS we absolutely need to get the crew together to play those older games again (Burnout, Red Faction, and Buzz were the ones I remember for the most part).

Palleon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 23, 2012

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

You already said the only marginally good thing you can about White Knight Chronicles.

I'm playing it right now. It's nothing special, the story is like any other JRPG, forgettable at best. The combat system could be neat, you get all these different abilities, but to be perfectly honest none of them really do anything more than the standard attack. It's more or less an MMO, you grind quests and collect tons of drops to make items, and there is a multiplayer component, but I don't know anyone else who is playing it so I just solo what I can and move on.

I figured, for 20 bucks, having nothing else to play, it was nice to play an RPG again, and I definately feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the game, but it's really nothing to write home about. If you need something to play and 20 bucks isn't a lot for you, you get 2 long-rear end games to play, so why not?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Whenever the store updates today, so in like 2-??? hours.

I've seen it update as late as 8pm Eastern, which is still a good 5 hours from now.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the_american_dream posted:

Dammit guys its going to take at least a day to dl JC2 and youre making it sound so fun :(

If it makes you feel any better, I borrowed it from a friend a few years ago and hated it. The world was too big, took forever to get anywhere, and on normal difficulty, I felt like I died way too easily. But hey, for free, I'll give it another shot, but I thought that it would have been a better game if the world was a lot smaller and it didn't take 10 minutes to drive from A to B.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

I've been downloading InFamous 2 (15 Gb) for about an hour and a half now (at 50%) so download speed isn't an issue with me. I'm not using WiFi though. Install times are a whole another issue, probably won't be able to try IF2 out until tomorrow at this rate.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but installing stuff goes really, really slow if you're also downloading something from PSN. So if you're about to do a big install, say, JC2 or Infamous 2, pause all your downloads first, it will go significantly faster.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Or instead of good/evil, why not something more like "good/rear end in a top hat"? Make some of the "evil" choices less evil, and more selfish and dickish, so it's actually conceivable that someone would do them, but still also be doing the whole "save the world" thing. I find it hard to believe someone that decides it's ok to murder and bio-leech every civilian he sees would have any desire to take orders from Kuo, Zeeke, or Nix, stop the Militia, and kill The Beast.

I think that's why I liked the Paragon/Renegade system from Mass Effect. Paragon was Sheppard going above and beyond to do good, even if it inconvienenced him, while Paragon wasn't necessarily evil, it was more of a "ends justify the means" approach than the approach we usually get, such as "save these people or murder some random person for no reason and no benefit just because we need a choice here".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played "I Am Alive" and care to share some thoughts about it? I played the demo a few days ago, and I really liked the gameplay I experienced from that, is the rest of the game more of the same? It seems to have gotten very mixed reviews from the ones I've read online.

• Locked thread