Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
I loved the hell out of VC, but Saboteur I never got around to finishing it, just goofed around in it a lot... I say go with VC and Alpha first :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

You had better be putting that disc in right now mister. Right now.

Does it get better? I can run my own parisian Radio Shack with how many nazi speakers I've toppled.. but the missions were pretty run of the mill (like I said I never finished it)

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

The Saboteur was an ok game for the amount of money I spend on it ($25), but I wouldn't have paid full price for it. The driving was dull as poo poo. The stealth was kind of neat as well as the combat but if I were to fix anything, I would fix his climbing speed to be something faster and fix the driving to be much more interesting.

I agree, driving was horrendous. Sometimes these sandbox games are great when they are totally open-ended, then you start a mission and POW all these restrictions fall into place. For the most part though I end up trying to "break" the missions if I can. And I get frustrated when I can't. For example if the mission is "Disguise yourself as a chef and infiltrate the Nazi dinner party". I might try to enter as a chef then steal an SS uniform. Or steal an officer uniform and climb a building and fall through a corner on top of the main target and kill everyone.. but if the sandbox game doesn't let me I get pissed and play a linear game where I conform with the "rules" no questions asked. :iiam:

Dominic White posted:

By RPG standards, it's very short - maybe 10-15 hours? But the dialogue and logic flow-charts for the game are unbelievably complex. People are still finding out new conversations and ways to befriend or screw over characters. It's meant to be played multiple times, which is something that a lot of reviews didn't seem to figure out.

I thought this game was very very cool (got it on 360 though) and its sitting in my game library unfinished. I need to finish it and replay it, when the game first came out I remember it being severely under-appreciated in reviews, some of the game mechanics are a bit wonky too, but I thought there was a fair amount of good gaming under the hood that's just not immediately apparent.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I am not falling for the trap again. I remember Assassin's Creed 1 was hyped to hell and back and on paper, it sounded like the most awesome thing ever, and then the game came out and we all know how that turned out.

I was dissappointed with 1 for a lot of reasons. That said AC1 isn't a bad game, by a long shot it was just not what they made it out to be. AC2 was badass, and it actually delivered on AC1's hype. AC3 looks seriously amazing.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

SpacePig posted:

Niche: Valyria Chronicles, a blend of SRPG and ARPG that works really well.

I am just upset there isn't a sequel to this great and fun game. I was hooked on this thing until I beat it. If not a true sequel a game that uses the same mechanics and a new story.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

One on the PSP, and one that's not getting an English release.

Well don't have a PSP, I meant a sequel on the PS3, that game was absolutely phenomenal at first glance it might seem a little cheesy and weird but by the time it was over I was in love with all aspects of it, even the watercolor style graphics.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do I want to play 4 again? Honestly I remember almost nothing that happened during the core gameplay parts. I loved the hell out of the metal gear fight, I hated the sneaky section in the city, but the rest is just a grey blur.

I remember the same, also some sunny side up eggs frying, crawling around everywhere on my stomach... and the cool psychotic dream boss fights. I kinda feel like playing it again :(

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I've been thinking about picking up Resistance 3, I really enjoyed 2, and even played it online a few times, but I'm wondering is it worth getting it with the MOVE peripheral (I don't have a MOVE at all, just the old PS3 eye) or should I just get the game and play through it regular R2 style? How did it compare with Resistance 2? Was it a major improvement like R2 was to R1? Does it have a lot of replay value?

Hearing so many say Uncharted 3 isn't as good as 2 is disappointing, I absolutely loved Uncharted 2, I daresay it is the ultimate adventure-action game of all time. It's disheartening to hear 3 was perhaps a step backward.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Spalec posted:

I don't know about the Move for R3, but the game itself was my favourite of the series. It's pretty different to R2 (No regenerating health at all, no limit on guns carried) and plays more like half life 2. [Snip]

And don't worry about Uncharted 3, just because it's not as good as Uncharted 2. It's still a fantastic, brilliant game. Just not the revolution that U1 -> U2 was.

I'll probably just get the game, IIRC Resistance 1 didnt have regen health either. The demo looked cool, seems like there's a lot more going on in each level than in R2 (which was fantastic I just hated that they killed off Hale)

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Dadjacket posted:

E: also I know it's silly to complain about a six year old game, but having the first level be the hardest level in R1 for at least the first ten hours if not the entire game, while cool from a story perspective, was such garbage. It highlighted how important the regen health segments were and made me appreciate the level design of the rest of the game, but I died so many times on the rush downhill into those houses that I almost gave up on the game entirely.

I am right there with you, I put R1 and took it out... luckily I decided to throw it back in one day, but that initial level design and some other quirks just hurt R1. I'm sure it was because they were rushing it out to be a launch title. R2 was overall so much better production-wise.

And I love the co-op mode in R2, probably the biggest online time sink the PS3 has offered me since it launched, it really sucks they didnt keep it for R3 :(

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Krad posted:

No, Lucasarts should make more X-Wing/Tie-Fighter games. :colbert:

With all the rebooted games, how can they not reboot these!

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Just Cause 3: Let's Piss off Paris

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Speaking of MGS ... I just saw a video of Revegenanceries. :v: what the crap .. Can't they just keep the MGS magic going without Kojima ???!?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Harlock posted:

Make Rainbow Six Vegas 3 already, Ubisoft.

or make a game that's tactical and strategic again, Ubisoft.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Uncharted 1 is a pretty good game, I really enjoyed it, but 2 blew me away. But it's worth it to get to know all the characters as the story deepens in to considerably.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

UC1 is a great game. Just because there are sequels doesn't mean you should skip it.

As far as PS3's early titles are concerned MGS4 and UC1 were good, and even replayable. While its not AS GOOD as 2, it enjoyed it a lot. I echo this sentiment it's definitely a game to try out, you probably won't regret it. It will also heighten your appreciation of 2 if you ask me.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I liked Uncharted 1's bullshit final enemies a lot more than 2's, and from what I've heard of 3's I would like them even less.

That's the one thing I would fault UC1, I wasn't crazy about the final enemies in UC1 or even that final stage, it seemed to depart with everything they had established but it wasn't too bad. UC2's final enemies were also BS, but the cinematic presentation of the entire game chokes down any minor complaints I may or may not want to have.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing about UC2's bullshit final enemies is that I've had it up to here with magical crossbows/bows that are somehow more accurate and more damaging than guns

That seems to be the norm with these adventure games and movies.. remember in Raiders of the Lost Ark when a box can kill like 200 nazis. :rolleyes:

One of these days I'm going to get UC3 and just play it through (and Infamous 2) I end up goofing around with other games first, getting MGS4 trophies is NOT HELPING.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Polite Tim posted:

Supposedly it's open world, does that mean we'll be getting some gameplay this time?

I always said an open world Splinter Cell game would so very work- but Metal Gear is going that route. That said, wasn't Ground Zero the first level of MGS4? It's probably a prequel to that PMC vs Rebel engagement?

Either way I seriously doubt its a Solid Snake story, as I seriously doubt Kojima will un-end his ending.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Then you get the end of chapter 3 and the game becomes non-stop fanservice for the next five hours.

I think Kojima needs an editor, he went off the wall with cutscenes, You could probably trim 30% of the cutscene lengths down and tell the same story better. I agree that the first two missions in MGS4 are just utterly amazing, and an open world game that has a lot of gameplay would be much better.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Policenaut posted:

another Metal Gear game called "Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes" which is reportedly an open world title starring Big Boss.

Wait it is confirmed to be Big Boss?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Well it looked like he's got the Militaires Sans Frontiers patch on his shoulder so I think it is him. A lot of other sites seemed to be saying the same, so I said reportedly.

It's probably another relative, nicknamed Middle-Management Boss :colbert:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

After you make a part 4 and some handheld games. You have to absolutely complain about any subsequent games.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

MUFFlNS posted:

Metal Gear Solid: 1998
Metal Gear Solid 2: 2001
Metal Gear Solid 3: 2004
Metal Gear Solid 4: 2008

Four games spanning three console generations over a period of fourteen years. I'm not really seeing much to complain about there at all v:shobon:v I mean heck, we might not even see this new MGS game until 2014/2015 anyway.

You forgot two NES/MSX games Metal Gear 1 & 2, Peace Walker, and Raiden's Revegination.

It's like every game is Metal Gear I'm sick of it [/sarcasm]

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Policenaut posted:

I loved Acid. I barely knew anything about it when I went and picked my new PSP-1000 up way back when in '04 and was surprised at how quirky and unique it was.

I don't like "card game" style games. If it aint shooting people in the neck with a tranq gun and echoing questions to other people statements.. I don't want it.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Ground Zeroes is supposed to be a prequel to the real MGS5 it seems, kind of exciting, probably to play GZ on these consoles, and hopefully MGS5 on a PS4/Xbox720 or whatever. But I guess regardless there just won't be another game featuring Solid Snake (the best Snake) :(

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Ahh just bought a replacement Ps3 after all this time with resistance 3 (stupid install bug), uncharted 3, and heavy rain move edition. Are there any cheap move psn games worth getting to play around with the move device?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Harlock posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. Literally $2. If you own a move, you need to buy it.

I also own The Fight and picked it up on clearance a while back. It was fun for a little while, but ultimately pretty shallow for a fighting game.

I'll pick up Sports Champ ASAP but nothing simple and fun off PSN I take it?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Xbox will come with Kinect built-in, so I'd be really, really surprised if Sony didn't at least release with an integrated PS Eye.

Or whatever new idea they have for "motion" games, I'm sure will be a built in feature for Sony, motion will probably now be like "rumble" controllers where in the now ancient consoles.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Brightman posted:

Pretty sure the rumor is it's a touchpad like the back of the Vita, and not an actual screen.

There's also the rumor of biometric sensors?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Rinkles posted:

How is the comfiness of headsets related to how the signal is sent? Or how does it negatively affect wireless headsets anyway?

I don't know but the bluetooth headsets I used for the PS3 all sucked, and online play has historically been a major irritation with me and the system. Having also a 360 at home I would prefer THIS style of builtin communication, no need to buy yet another accessory to charge up and ready for gaming, plus with the varying degrees of bluetooth headset quality hearing people online was more annoyance than convenience on the PS3.

I'll probably end up with a PS4 and a NextBox, and I would be much happier if I used my PS for more online gaming than I did this generation.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I wonder if the rumored biometric sensors on the back, will be the way you "pause" games. Just put down the controller instead of a start button?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Rinkles posted:

How much is this going to retail for with all its gadgetry?

Whatever the price is Sony will call it "affordable".

It's probably a specialized array of mechanisms that release pheromones and various scents to help aid the oft neglected olfactory sense in gaming.

Stare-Out posted:

I kinda wish that technology existed. Real world weather conditions would be a really neat feature.

Unless you were hoping to get away from a foggy and rainy day and turn on your video games and its foggy and rainy there too.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Seriously. Please have a push-to-talk key. Most of the time I just hear background noise coming from anyone with a mic.

The 360 has some kind of sound filter, only seems to turn on the mic when people talk or there is heavy background noise.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Self-upgrading would be great, considering that SSD Drive prices keep dropping, and all these games have huge installs would be good if you could put in your own SSD drive have killer load times.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

As far as Batman and Red Faction I think those are fantastic deals for people that have never played them, I might get Armageddon, I loved Guerilla to death, and when I found out RF:A ditched open world I ignored it completely. Maybe for a reduced price I'll revel in the guilty pleasure of a fun dumb game.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

And your second point can be refuted by anyone saying that they thought Uncharted 3 was excellent.

I'm playing through Uncharted 3 right now, and I'm worried by all the "it wasn't good talk" Uncharted has been my favorite all time PS3 game series :(

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

but it's a case by case basis so your mileage may vary, though if you liked the two games before UC3, chances are you'll like UC3 too.

I enjoyed the first Uncharted quite a bit I thought the ending levels was a jarring shift from the whole game, and at first was a bit jarred by the shift, I wasn't crazy about the mechanics, but at the end of it, I ended up coming back and playing it on the hardest difficulty as I did enjoy the story. Uncharted 2 blew me away, so if three doesn't hit 2's monumental mark, but is way above the first I will be happy. So far I'm enjoying it.

I'm also trying to push through Heavy Rain with my wife, who likes to watch me make an rear end of myself with the move controller. :sigh: HR seems slow but I love the concepts in this game, kinda of wish and hope that games like this (HR/Uncharted 2) explode with depth on next gen consoles.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, and if you want something similar to Heavy Rain to play with your wife, give The Walking Dead a look.

I got TWD on my iPad and I loved it, and instantly she played it and I watched her, I know the game already won awards, but there should be a category for "Best Games You're Significant Other/You Can Watch and Play Together"

This is important for us people with non-gaming significant others :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Krad posted:

So, what important historical event was going on around 1715?

AC1: The Crusades
AC2: The Renaissance
AC3: The American Revolution
AC4: ... Captain Jack Sparrow Was Really a Templar

:iiam:

The "Fifteen" an uprising by the Jacobites against King George the I and some golden age of piracy stuff. I think Spain loses out big time (again) some major lost silver/gold ships to English pirates.

• Locked thread