Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Anyone going for the all fruit/lizard trophies in Shadow of the Colossus, I recommend you save OFTEN. I had to restart the game twice because of various disappearing lizard/fruit glitches.

This probably happened in the PS2 version as well, but back then I probably just shrugged it off and moved on. Now every time it happens it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

EC posted:

SotC is really loving beautiful now. It's a crying shame that they didn't at least tweak the camera controls a bit. The camera feels like it's actively fighting you, as if it wants to show a very specific camera angle at a given time. If it would just not try to move after I move it, it'd be perfect.

The absolute worst is when you try to aim your bow and arrow. The camera switches to where your character is facing, rather than where the camera is facing, which is annoying as hell.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

...! posted:

OK, so Deus Ex is officially on my poo poo list. It refused to give me two trophies I know I earned. Thanks for nothing, game. :mad:

Let me guess, non-lethal and no camera alerts?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

the truth posted:

SotC glitched and wouldn't let me pick up a lizard tail. The controls and camera are even wonkier than I remembered, but the game is undeniably charming and the landscape is enchanting.

Protip, don't even attempt the all-fruit trophy on the first playthrough. It only counts if you get all of the forbidden fruit in the secret garden as well, which is impossible to do on the first playthrough as the game is based off the EU version.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Behonkiss posted:

It's been so long since I played Shadow of the Colossus, so the third one is already kicking my rear end. I can't figure out how to climb to that weak point on its stomach after jumping from its sword.

You mean after you've destroyed the symbol on his head? You climb down its back, drop onto the waist ledge, and run around to its belly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Behonkiss posted:

I didn't know he had one on his head, my sword light was pointing at the belly. I don't even know how to climb from the fur on his arm to his head or torso. GameFAQs time, I guess.

The trick for that boss is make him smash his sword against the stone circle in the middle of the area. It'll break the ring on his arm and allow you to climb up the sword onto it, and from there to his head.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Chairman Mao posted:

Wasn't there a sandbox game released within the last couple of years that had practically nothing but the main story missions and people were confused as to why you would create such a big detailed world and then not give you any way to do anything in it or interact with it in any real way except faffing around purposelessly or doing the main campaign? Then the DLC dropped and everyone was all "oooh, that's where it all went".

I could be misremembering this though.

Incidentally, faffing doesn't set off Firefox's spellchecker. v:confused:v

My guess is you're thinking of either L.A. Noire or Mafia 2.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

For those having issues with SotC controls, I had to set both horizontal and vertical controls to inverted to have it feel normal to me (this was odd as I never play any other game with inverted controls).

Also you can get on your horse more easily by jumping towards it and then using R1 to grab.

Even with these tips, the controls/camera still suck rear end, but hopefully this helps a bit. No way I'm going to replay the game like 4 times to get Platinum though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Seriously, for people who don't want to read it, they gave it a score of 2/10.

Without getting into the current state of game reviews and review score scaling, the criticism in that review (such as bad controls and camera, if you die you lose all items in your inventory and not much scares) don't paint a pretty picture. That's almost certainly a death knell for a game from a small developer.

When IGN, which throws out 9-10s like candy, gives a game a 2.0, you should probably stay away.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Renoistic posted:

That was pretty awful to be honest. It had the subtlety of a sledgehammer and didn't sell me to the tonal shift at all.
They can make it how pretty they want but if the writing is lacking it all falls apart. Not that it matters since it's
just a tech demo anyway.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this. Pretty as a tech demo, but the content was so loving manipulative. Oh, you're going to threaten to murder a girl begging for her life? Way to get me to FEEL SOMETHING.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Is anyone excited for God of War: Ascension? I've been a fan of the series through the first 3 games, but for some reason haven't really been hyped for this one. That may be due to my relative disappointment with GoW 3, which felt very paint-by-numbers for me for long stretches of it.

Then there's the matter of possible controversy that may arise from the new installment. Essentially, there's a sequence in the game where after defeating a Fury boss, you're treated to a graphically violent cutscene of Kratos stomping a woman's face in, followed by the awarded trophy "Bros Before Hos". The sequence soured Adam enough that it seems like his final review score definitely suffered because if it.

I have to admit, I had a similar reaction to a sequence in God of War 3 really felt misogynistic and soured me to the game beyond that point. The part where Kratos essentially chains an innocent woman to a gear to hold a door open, and you hear her screaming and begging for her life as he steps through the door, followed by the crunch of her getting pulled into the gears and killed.

I know stuff like this has always been par for the course for the franchise, but I feel like the games were always walking a fine tonal line with that kind of material, and on the occasions when they cross that line, it can really turn people off.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They had that same sequence in 3, except it was a guy so it was okay.

Oh it was definitely the trophy that sent Adam over the edge. He even acknowledges in the review that the sequence alone wouldn't have necessarily been offensive given the leeway of gender neutrality that the series ascribes to these supernatural beings, but the trophy basically emphasizes a really disturbing "Man, we put that whore in her place!" mentality to it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ZergRushing posted:

Wow, dude. When I saw it I thought it was pretty funny given the context. It's obviously a joke based off a really common party phrase and not meant to degrade or belittle women at all. Quit projecting your psychotic moral values to the world and take the joke for what it is. Also get laid you virgin.

I was going to try and elaborate my point further on your post before I saw this edit, but now I don't really know how to respond to this. Hopefully my opinions haven't hurt the world too much.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

I know, I remember watching that. It looks gorgeous. If the PS4 had all 3 games doing that with 1080p 3D on one disc, that would be golden. Imagine if the PS4 launched with that AND Uncharted 4.

How would they do this exactly? Are there new 150gb discs for the PS4?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The Witcher 2 on PC is like 16 gigs and uses all assets meant to be seen in 1080p or even higher. I'm sure they could get each game down to 25 gigs or so, right?

I was more referring to the idea that all the games would be in 3D. Wouldn't that double the size? Or is it a matter of the system splitting the image?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The Jak and Daxter collection was on sale recently at GameStop for $10 so I picked it up. I beat the first game and had a fun enough time doing so. Jak 2, though, is really tedious and unfun to me. It seems like they tried to inexplicably create a GTA/platformer hybrid, except navigating around the city is horrible and the driving sucks.

I've just gotten my first gun and even that's not helping. Does the game improve, or should I just skip ahead to Jak 3? Is that game any good, or just more of Part 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just played the campaign for Battlefield 3 via PS+.

That sure was an FPS campaign.

Seriously, that was probably the blandest campaign of any game I've played in a long, long time. But I guess I shouldn't complain, as I'm probably one of 7 people in the world that only plays FPS campaigns and not multiplayer.

• Locked thread