Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, this thread being less than one page long is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nmfree posted:

Your face is weird. :colbert:
Yeah well you're a jerkface dumb-dumb head.

Anyway newcomers to the PS3 should look to the best games of 2009 to get them started: Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, Infamous, things like that.

Also take advantage of the PS3's free and open policy on import games. I definitely am, I've got Tales of Xillia coming this week, and Dark Souls two weeks after.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Netflix something like Shadows of the Damned. It's a good game that kind of peters out towards the end and has virtually no replay value.
Man don't tease me like that, if Netflix started renting games with the same speed and efficiency and availability that they rented movies, I would be all over that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Truth be told. The further away it is from a "RE game" the better. I still love the heck out of RE4, but it's time the series moved away from not being able to move and aim and the general tank controls.
On the other hand though (and this is something of a reversal of my previous position on the series), the closer it gets to being a conventional zombie shooter, the more games it has to compete with. Maybe it should stick to the niche of the older RE games more closely.

edit: speaking of RE, the other day I was playing Devil May Cry 1 and I was amazed again at how much it has in common with the early RE games, and in some of the ways I liked, like the environment being full of things you can examine, even pointlessly. The fixed camera can die right off though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I really want El Shaddai. I don't know how that slipped past me. I must be getting slow in my old age.
Well, as others have mentioned, it didn't get much talk around here because a lot of us just don't think it's a very good game. Pretty, but not good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Whenever I hear people who like El Shaddai talk about the gameplay, it is usually some variant of "it is not as bad as you think". Well screw that, especially in an action game like this, I want gameplay to be GOOD, not just not as bad as I think.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

Why? Dead Space 1/2 used the same control scheme and everyone loved those games.
That's kind of the problem, in that genre Dead space basically IS better than RE, it does everything the new RE games do but better, I think. However the stuff RE USED to do but doesn't anymore, like, the puzzles and wandering around lost and reading inscriptions on walls and stuff, isn't really done by anything else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

The thing with El Shaddai is that the demo does a terrible TERRIBLE job of explaining the combat and most of it isn't obvious either. Like there's a dodge, but bit it works differently for each weapon. There's a counter but you do it by charging your attack. The combat is fairly simple overall but it also surprising deep given it's simplicity. It's no Bayonetta or even a God of War, but it's actually kind of unique and interesting. That been said, I just started the game and I'm not sure if I actually like said combat, I just know that it's more interesting then the demo made it look.
I'm pretty sure I figured out those things in the demo, but it didn't make combat any less monotonous. Enemies just took so little damage from my attacks, it felt like I was beating them with a wet noodle and not god's toothpick or whatever. That's a cardinal sin for action games IMO. God of War also kind of has that problem, but at least the demo of El Shaddai was way worse.

Ninja Gaiden and DMC/Bayonetta are what I want: when you hit an enemy or an enemy hits you, it loving HURTS.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

You do more damage with an enemy's own weapon.
Hm...well, I'm not totally opposed to the idea of trying it again, but at below $20 I think. That's about my limit for games lots of people say are flawed but decent.

I'm doing The Saboteur right now at that price. I haven't made up my mind yet about it, it has a lot of finicky little things I don't like.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The (non-racing) vehicles in The Saboteur sure do handled like drunken hippopotamuses. Is that historically accurate or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

This pretty much sums up House of the Dead Overkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUSSFzRZGY

My dick's on fire :mmmhmm:
Wow, so they wanted to make House of the Dead...to the EXTREEEME? And decided the best way was lots of cursing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

It's more like they wanted to style it after a Grindhouse film and they ended up doing a damned fine job by the way. I mean, it might not be to your taste but they were going for a specific thing, not just some 90s idea of gaming like you seemed to have put it.
All I can say for myself is that I interpreted it the way that whoever put that video together wanted me to.

I don't have anything against grindhouse stuff really (though on that particular double-feature I definitely preferred Death Proof), but to me HoTD had a particular and different kind of cheesiness.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Do you like Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghilibi films? Beautifully rendered scenery and quirky characters? Well then, you've probably heard of the upcoming RPG from Level 5, Ni no Kuni (Two Kingdoms/Worlds).

Level 5's just posted a brand new trailer here
The art style is great, it's basically a playable movie and it's drat charming too :3: Problem is, the battle system looks kinda bland.
Are you seriously saying "it looks like a playable move" as a positive quality? I am waiting for games to get over that problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

It has adorable awesome animation, and gameplay that looks a LOT like the classic (back when they were fun) JRPGs. The videos shows:

- Combat that looks decently fun
- An overworld, complete with dragon to fly around it with
- At least hints of exploration / more than walking down hallways

... not seeing much to dislike, at least from the trailer. I'm getting a sense of Dragon Quest here, only without the niggles that made DQ8 drag out (and 100% less Dragon Ball Z).

EDIT: The combat kinda looks like Pokemon-esque tossing out of little dudes, which you then manually control a bit like Star Ocean 2. Which could be pretty fun in theory. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Yeah, it may very well turn out good. I am mostly concerned because Level 5 has had an atrocious batting average for the last few years, and being associated with a big anime house like Ghibli means that it will have a built-in audience, so it doesn't NEED to be as good as comparable games that don't have that.

But maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also they are currently working on a horrible looking anime project...which shall not be named.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hey remember when crytek said crysis 1 wasn't possible on consoles because
I only really ever hear of Crysis being used as a graphics benchmark on the PC, I have no idea how good or bad it is as an actual game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

gently caress yes I can't wait to stealth around and punch North Koreans in the face with birds, Crysis 1 owns so much.
Punch them...with birds?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You mean like, put a bird or a turtle in your hand and then punch them?

edit: I played Crysis 2 briefly, I found it to be a fairly ordinary and uninteresting shooter. I guess 1 is more open-worldy, is it as much so as Far Cry 2? That's the other game by them I have played.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 9, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm...well, Far Cry 2 was entertaining for a while, honestly I don't know why I stopped playing it exactly. For $20 maybe I'll give that but with super powers a try someday.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Palleon posted:

Swimming around in "zero gravity" with no ammo anywhere so having to punch a bunch of mermaids to death through a giant maze is not my idea of a fun time
I dunno, that sounds kinda fun to me, and definitely not a thing I complain that I'm always having to do in FPSs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at the latest FF13-2 info makes me more and more hopeful for the game. It looks like you'll be doing some time traveling, and seeing the same areas in different time periods. Also there are QTEs in battles, which by themselves I am not so excited about, but they appear to be branching QTEs, which I don't see enough of in games.

edit: the gate interface, which is cross shaped (or XMB shaped?) with locations running horizontally and time period running vertically, or is it the other way around? You need some kind of key items to unlock areas/time periods I guess.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 11, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

This sounds radically different from the first game and it actually makes me curious.

They're using the game engine from the first game right? (but with a new battle system and all). The last game was gorgeous and it was a little sad they developed so many unique and beautiful assets only to make a corridor linking them all.

It makes me think they really dicked around with the first game and when they had to release the game, they cobbled together something from what they had. But this? This sounds more of a labor of love than the first FF13 was.

Edit: Can we get a 13-2 thread? I thought this game would benefit from one, and the main focus can be convincing people it's not the same as the first game and to turn people back into Final Fantasy after the disaster than 13 was.
Yeah, that is seriously what I am thinking too. From interviews right after 13's release it is clear that they had the marketing people shouting a billion contradictory messages at them and it seriously rattled their brains and 13 is the result. Maybe now though they have calmed down a bit and can make a proper game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The demo for the PS3 version of Ghost of Sparta is pretty damned impressive. I can't believe it was a PSP game before. I think I'll buy it tomorrow. God of War is no Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden for me, but it definitely scratches my stabbing things with swords itch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

40 OZ posted:

Is RDR Undead Nightmare fully functional if you buy it used? I know this is a dumb question.
I bought it used and I didn't have any problems that I could see.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

Going from completely classless to unchangeable classes is terrible, sorry.
Yeah, my only guess is that having no classes just gave Japanese players too many choices in how to develop the character and causing them to break down sobbing, so they realized they had to fix that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Dragon's Dogma is looking sweet as hell, it might be the best of both worlds between a game like Monster Hunter and a low-fantasy action RPG like Demon's Souls. I'm still pretty sure it won't be as good as Dark Souls, but then maybe nothing will be.

People on that page are saying that it is making use of the DMC, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil people inside of Capcom, which I don't think really happens anymore. People are saying "Capcom has gotten serious this time".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It's not okay that Dragon's Dogma exists or that the DMC4 team is working on it because that means it's the reason why we're getting DmC from Ninja Theory instead, and they couldn't make a good combat system if their lives depended on it.
Wow, you care enough about the DMC series to want to sacrifice a new and awesome-looking RPG series for it? Now that Bayonetta exists, I sure don't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I'd like one of my favorite genres to have more than one series in it, yeah. Dragon's Dogma looks pretty boring and unfocused, too, even though the MT Framework engine is still absolutely gorgeous.
There have only ever really been two good series like that, Ninja Gaiden and DMC. Now it's Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta. I am okay with this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just think that everything good about DMC was sucked out and transplanted into Bayonetta, that's all. Even if the DMC series continues it is just an empty shell to me. If its resourced go into something new, I'm all for it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Bayonetta was good but it also isn't getting a sequel
What makes you think that? I just assumed it would eventually. Bayo's adventures had only just started.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Because Platinum doesn't really make sequels. Even their Madworld 'sequel' is a psuedo-sequel that only happens to contain some of the same character (but alternate-dimension versions of them).
They only have three games out and one in development, how can you be so sure about that?

Anyway I don't care if it's called Bayonetta 2 or not, I don't even really care if it is in the same world or not, I just want another game with similar themes, gameplay and style.

edit: oh yeah four, forgot about Infinite Space.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh I agree that there should be more good games in the same genre as DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but where are they going to come from? It seems like almost no one wants to make them. They're like space fighter sims.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The newest Binary Domain trailer doesn't make it look half as dumb as any of the previous ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0toTEErSdY

Looks like they ditched the horrible horrible English script and voice acting for a nondescript Japanese script and voice acting. Nothing about the gameplay though, it could still be poo poo.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-dai-2-ji-super/720926

Super Robot Wars on PS3. Looks cool. I love the crisp graphics.
Oh, I was wondering how I missed a new trailer, but it seems this isn't new, it's at least three months old. The game has been delayed and as far as I know still doesn't have a release date. It may end up looking significantly different than this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every video of it on nicovideo has the "poo poo game" tag so it looks like the Japanese feel the same way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I read a Japanese write-up on Lollipop Chainsaw and one of the things someone on the publish side said made me uh...

quote:

「怖くない。OLさんでも遊べるゾンビゲーム。キュートでちょっとだけバイオレンスで、爽快感のあるアクションゲームに仕上げたい」
"It's not scary. We want to make a zombie game even an OL (= Japanese office lady stereotype, think the girls in Mad Men) can play. We want to make an exciting action game that is cute but with a little violence".

I'm not sure Kadokawa and Grasshopper Manufacture are seeing perfectly eye to eye on this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Er, do OL's like to play games with relatively exploitive/sexualized heroines? Or is that the disconnect?
I've only ever known one kind of OL-like person and the only game she played was Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warriors), and always as Okuni, so that's all I really know.

I was more pointing out that the best they can do as far as classifying their female market seems to be to label them as OLs or whatever and then make wild guesses about what they like and don't like.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 17, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

So have all of you crazy people that want all these games digitally upgraded your HD's? Cuz I ran out of space ages ago; there's seriously nothing I want to delete right now no matter what awesome thing comes out.
How many games do you play at one time anyway? I mean, my hdd might be full if I had the install data of every game I ever played on it, but as it is I delete the install data (or the game itself in the case of downloadable games) when I am done with it, and reinstall it later if I want to play it again. It's not like you lose any save data or anything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played Deus Ex HR a whole bunch more yesterday and I still have a weird kind of problem with it. I find myself crouching literally 95% of the time, but crouching isn't the default behavior. There are lots of things you can do that forces Jensen to stand up, and then you have to quickly re-crouch him again afterwards unless you want to be spotted. In true cover shooter fashion, every environment is entirely filled with hip-high obstacles to hide behind. The game was designed to so thoroughly discourage standing up, it makes me wonder why it even has a stand up function at all, much less why it is the default.

edit: MGS got it right, snake automatically moves with a low posture, like a commando kinda guy should. Jensen runs with his body straight vertical like an idiot.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chard posted:

I somewhat agree, but I think you're forgetting that a lot of the game can be played pretty 'straight'. If you're bullshitting your way through, it makes more sense to casually stroll past the guards with weapons holstered (or sprint invisibly past with magic silent legs).
Well, I definitely can't bullshit my way through the TV studio mission that I am on now. There are six million heavily armed enemies and they are all out for my cyber-blood. Even standing up long enough to melee an enemy and then immediately crouching back down is enough to get me one-shotted.

• Locked thread