Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

iastudent posted:

Amazon has the House of the Dead: OVERKILL - Extended Cut pre-order for $10 off today ($29.99).

That's tempting, is there anything good or bad being said about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If it makes it to the PSN store as a download for $20 I might consider it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is why Crysis will never be as good on consoles as it is on PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD_s-ErDeP8

But get it anyway, the game owns.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Harlock posted:

Final Fantasy X remake/remaster/HD version coming to Vita and PS3. Square is scraping the bottom of that ice machine for all it's worth.

Any gameplay improvements / new sphere grid / different items? Or is it just HD graphics? Have they redone the god drat laughing scene at least?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Max Payne 3 teaser. :ohdear:

Hearing the fantastic cello theme from MP2 combined with James McCaffrey's voice thrills me a bit but I'm still concerned how Remedy not being involved will affect the final game.

I really want to like this game, and I'll probably get it anyway, but I'm skeptical of the new look and setting.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just don't understand why he couldn't stay in Noir York and be an ex-cop PI or something. I know its cliched, but dammit, thats the point of a Max Payne game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I'd prefer to see a Max Paine / L.A Noire crossover.

If Max Payne left New York to go to LA to be a PI then I could definately get behind this. Why the hell is he in Brazil?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is ICO/SOTC going to come out digitally the same day as the disc version? Or is it disc only?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

No one knows yet.

drat. I'd rather get them digitally, but I've got a pre-order with Amazon just in case. I hate having to put the PS3 disc in the system to play games.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Krad posted:

Every HD remake has been released on the PSN if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I'm sure they will sell them both seperately at a higher cost than it would have been if you bought the disc. :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is FEAR 3's single player any good? Its got a pretty nice amazon lightning deal right now. I played the first one back when it came out and really liked it, but I never got any of the expansions or sequels.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Fear 3 is a technically generic and fairly lazy cover based FPS, all horror elements have have been watered down, and most of the environments are ugly. You do have to play the levels as the regular dude with guns with a splash of slo-mo, and only afterwards can you use the ghost which is a couple degrees more fun.

If it's cheap enough that that doesn't matter, go for it.

Nah, for $20 I won't bother. I'll wait till the STEAM sale puts it out for $5. :)

I was hoping for some good spooky horror moments like the first one had.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GTA 4 complete is going really drat fast on the next lightning deal. 2 minutes in and its 20% claimed.

Edit: holy poo poo, its halfway gone at 3 mins.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I've been playing Alice: Madness Returns and I'm currently in the underwater world fighting ghost sailors. Am I about halfway through the game, or is there a lot more?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

There's still quite a bit more -- I think you're on Chapter 2 of 6. Madness Returns was a pretty good game and a neat platformer, but each chapter was about an hour too long. Each level wrapped up by just continuing to hammer away on techniques and concepts you've already done a bunch of times by that point.

Ok thanks, I'll soldier on. I love platformers, but the combat was getting to me. I do like a lot of the world detail, hopefully the other 4 chapters are interesting.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Dark ID has a phenomenal LP thread about Chrono Cross thats archived somewhere. Highly reccomened if you want to be entertained and actually understand what the hell happenend in this game. And yes, the soundtrack is one of the best from the PS1 RPG era, if not the best. You can buy the import CD on Amazon for about $50.
http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Original-Soundtrack-Yasunori-Mitsuda/dp/B0009J8HB6/

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 23, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you manage to catch all the special lizards:

You earn enough "grip" strength to climb to the top of the main tower at the end of the game and see the special ending. Frankly, just google search the ending yourself, I didn't find it worth my while.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Use the lock on button more, its your friend. I also learned that by inverting the horizontal camera control, my brain could manipulate the camera a lot easier. Don't know if this is true for others or just a quirk of mine.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I recently got the Ico/SOTC game from amazon and come to find out that they put out a special 2 days later that nocks $20 off the price if you buy it with either the Uncharted, god of war, or resistance dual pack. I emailed amazon help about it, and they are going to hook me up if I buy the uncharted pack today. :toot:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you want your own 2 foot tall plush sackboy, you have 30 minutes to get one on sale at Amazon for $55.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q6ZWUM

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All of these reasons are why I like digital downloads. I wish the PS3 offered more of them at the time a new game launches.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I have a move controller but not the navigation add-on. Is it worth buying RE5 and the nav con or does it play better with a regular dualshock controller? I have RE4 on the wii and though it was the best version, and I'm curious if RE5 is a similar experience.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Since they are selling PS2 gems, I hope they put Sky Odyssey up for sale. It was (near?) launch game for the PS2 that was prety much pilotwings with airplanes that you usually flew threw canyons and such. Occasionally they would throw a really crazy mission at you like flying over a mountain that would require you to dump your fuel in order to make it, then you had to glide down the other side. Graphics were pretty horrible, but the controls and gameplay phenomenal.

I loved beating the game and earning the flying saucer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SamBishop posted:

Sky Odyssey is the single most underrated game on the PS2, I'm sure of it. It ran like poo poo, looked like poo poo and had the most hilariously half-assed localization, but none of that mattered once you started flying. No flight game before or since has had that level of control, and I'd hesitate to even make the PilotWings comparison. Sky Odyssey was in a genre and class all its own. I would do just about anything for a sequel, but I'm pretty sure Cross, the subdivision of Sony that developed the game, is no more.

God drat Sky Odyssey is amazing.

If Cross is no more, does that mean Sony could still put it up for download? :ohdear:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It seriously is. It takes everything that was great about DX1 and makes it even better. If you haven't played DX:HR yet, you're missing out on the best game of the year and really one of the best games ever.

Won't Modern Warfare 3 be game of the year? :rolleyes:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Do you have an Xbox360? Are you only interested in exclusives? The Drake games are definately good and getting the upcoming system bundle sounds like a good idea. If you're crazy, you can also hold out for the Black Friday bundles that come out after Thanksgiving, but have fun camping out at 2 AM to get one.

There are also about to be a million posts in here about how you should get Demon Souls / Dark Souls, but read about the game in the thread before purchasing, its not for everyone. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963

What type of games do you like? Sports? Action? RPG? First Person Shooters?

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 17, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

To add to that:

• Fallout New Vegas is a good western style RPG, much improved over Fallout 3. It should get a GOTY re-release in the next month or so with all the DLC bundled in pretty cheap.
  • For arcadey racers, any of the Motorstorm games are all PS3 exclusive. The two sequels are much better than the first. Also Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is really drat fun to run from cops, especially if you liked the original way back on the first Playstation.
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution is a fantastic FPS with light RPG elements and great stealthy gameplay. You can also play it as a balls out shooter if that is your thing, the choice is yours.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Roughly how long is DX:HR itself? If I do a little exploring and a lot of sidequests.

Depending on your preferable method of gameplay (stealth vs guns), probably 20-30.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Iskanderson posted:

So what are some games with local co-op.

Castlevania HD.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Skyrim plays really good with a controller. Frankly I think its a little janky with mouse and keyboard on the PC, but not horrible.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shelf Adventure posted:

Kotaku has started doing this awful gut check thing for reviews where they have 3 people say if you should buy a game based on a "gut check". One of them though hasn't even played the game. For the zelda one someone said 'no' on the gut check because he wasn't excited about the screen shots. What use is that? I can check screen shots and make up my mind about those, but Ineed to know how it plays. I accept that is covered by the other reviewers, but I don't see the point in wasting space on someone's opinion who has access to the same stuff I have when I can make up my mind.

He must be the reason Zelda is at 95 on Metacritic instead of higher. drat cartoony graphics ruin everything.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Krad posted:

FINALLY, the Crash Bandicoot HD collection is getting revealed, 'bout time!

It better have Crash Team racing included with online multiplayer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's the latest dirt about Ueda. He quit Sony and is now a freelancer that will still be involved in completing Last Guardian.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/30/rumor-the-last-guardian-lead-fumito-ueda-quits-sony-working-as/

EDIT: Well Sony considers all of this "rumor and speculation" and wont comment.

quote:

Apparently, The Last Guardian creative lead and Team Ico head Fumito Ueda has quit Sony and is working on Team Ico's latest project as a freelancer. Eurogamer is reporting as much, saying that Ueda's departure from the team has accentuated the ever-growing delay of the project's launch.

The Last Guardian was pushed out of a "holiday 2011" release window earlier this year, and the development team were said to be moving offices this past summer, getting up close and personal with SCE's main HQ. Requests to Sony for comment have gone unreturned as of publishing.

Update: A Sony rep told Joystiq, "Sony doesn't comment on rumors or speculation."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There has got to be some drama going down over the Last Guardian. Kotaku is now saying that its Executive Producer is quitting for greener pastures.
http://kotaku.com/5865821/last-guardian-executive-producer-quits-goes-elsewhere

quote:

Is Yoshifusa Hayama the latest Last Guardian casualty? The former Sony Computer Entertainment Vice President and Last Guardian executive producer has left the company.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The Starhawk beta is pretty fun.

Kevin Butler...release the lawyers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Flying Milton posted:

I started Final Fantasy 13 yesterday and I'm really confused by it. How can you spend so long making a game and not realize that it's just a hallway?

When I bought my PS3 earlier this year, I got FF13 and Assasin's creed. I played FF13 for about an hour and got so terribly bored. I don't even think I made it to the end of the first hover train railway platform thingy. I started to play Assasin's Creed and never went back. To this date, that game is still at the bottom of my "to do" list and I don't know if I'll ever get there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know that some of us are disappointed in the PSN release of Chrono Trigger. If you have an IOS device, they ported the DS version of the game to it. This means instant load times and all the extra DS content including the extra ending and bonus dungeon.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tony Hawk HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yRk5B3pRh4g

meh

Edit:

Here, have a Kotaku link.
http://kotaku.com/5866952/tony-hawks-new-game-is-tony-hawk-hd

quote:

Having teased such an announcement earlier in the week, at tonight's Spike VGAs skate legend Tony Hawk made it official: after a short hiatus in 2011, his series will be back in 2012 with Tony Hawk HD.

And it sounds pretty great. Rather than risk screwing everything up with a new game like the last 117 entries in the series managed, it's going back to the franchise's roots and will be taking select levels from Tony Hawk's 1 & 2, recreating them in "HD" and releasing it digitally in the first half of 2012.

Hawk told Joystiq that classic levels School and Downhill be in the game. If the original soundtracks make it as well, that would be awesome.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 11, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know enough about this series to know, do you suppose this is a complete remake (changing the control scheme to whatever it is now) or just a graphics update?

I edited in the Kotaku link above, it looks like its a built from scratch remake that uses levels from the first and second game. My guess is the controls are probably the same, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy gently caress, here's Hitman Absolution. :stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bge-OrFK7vA

:gizz:

• Locked thread