Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Holy SHIIIIT God Hand is still incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Parallax posted:

True this. Hard but fun and crazy game. I know for sure I never beat it but I have no idea how far I got. Anybody have any tips on moves I should be getting or what powerups to concentrate on?

I beat it back in the day, but all my skills are gone. My advice is only to build up your square combos with easily linkable punches at the start. And just play keep away a lot. I'm still not quite sure how I used to flow through these fights like Neo.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Urban Achiever posted:

Great commercial until the whole 'Michael' thing.

Agreed.

Fuckin' Ghost man.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, I get that it's supposed to mean 'you' as in the player that all the characters are cheering for, but they could've come up with something other than Michael. Hate that guy. Also no Kevin Butler.

Agreed. It's obvious, but since I don't play any of the major multiplayer games on PS3, I kinda thought Michael might be the main guy from Resistance 3 for the first few seconds.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Playing God Hand for the first time, and I have to say, it's not nearly as hard as IGN made it out to be and they can officially go gently caress themselves, cause this is not a 3/10 game.

Granted, i'm still getting my rear end kicked a lot, but it's fun. Still trying to figure out what would make for a solid combo though.

I unequivocally love that game, but in the IGN reviewers defense, it does hit you pretty hard right out of the gate with zero tutorial.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

It also is pretty brutal if you don't do cancels and try to play it like a straight up brawler. I remember I got upset with it and put it down a while ago because I would do well enough for it to increase the difficulty, but then instead of setting the difficulty back when I was doing worse, the game would usually just kill me instead.

Also, I used to have that policy, until I realized that I was forcing myself to play through games that I lost interest in a long time ago. FF12 fell victim to this sadly. :( I want to go back but I get hung up on stuff and never work past it.

I completely get that. It's definitely not something that everyone is going to enjoy. It's kinda like Bayonetta meets Demon's Souls. God Hand is really a game for a very specific group of people, and those people lost their god drat minds when someone who didn't share their "correct" opinion.

Honestly, if I'd been the reviewer and was just presented with God Hand out of the blue I'm not sure I would have really "got it" either. This is that kinda game that needs some decent word of mouth and a fair amount of time to really dig into. I'm sure that reviewer had pressing AAA titles to get to and this brutal, wacky Japanese fighting game wasn't taking priority at the time.

(People are way too hard on IGN reviews. :( )

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I like God Hand but people do get pretty crazy about it. I wonder if there would be half as much fervor if it got a 7/10 instead of a 3/10 from IGN since it seems to be brought up constantly.

God Hand is probably my favorite PS2 game, but I think 7/10 is probably around the correct score for a general consumer review.

blackguy32 posted:

Edit: Also, people are too hard on reviews period. I am sure I am not the only one who remembers the posters raging here about how Gamespot had the nerve to give Twilight Princess a 8.8.

Definitely agree.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I know I'm way behind on this, but why was Twisted Metal delayed from this month to February 2012?

I have zero facts, but I'm going to guess "because putting that game out in this busy holiday season would have been a suicide mission."

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Is magic essential in Demon's Souls?

No. All you need to use it is to have a wand. And even then, I'd only recommend one spell. Soul Arrow is basically a really effective projectile that doesn't cost much to use. Soul Arrow is great for cover fire as you're backing out of a rough fight.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Armor-Piercing posted:

Pretty sure you can boost your stats as soon as you beat Phalanx, not Tower Knight. Level 1-1.

This is correct. That blob thing is all you need to beat. Then the REAL Demon's Souls begins.

By the way, is anyone else feeling like there's a serious lack of fun messages you can leave in Dark Souls? "Praise the sun" is like the only mildly off-topic one.

And nobody loving rates messages so far!

My heart is breaking.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

And I miss the Maiden in Black. Leveling up is... missing something without her weird accent.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Well now I just feel like I'm being down on it. It really is incredibly awesome.

One last nitpick: I knew this going in, but I miss the "You're basically in some kind of awful hell" atmosphere from Demon's Souls. The "ridiculously DARK fantasy" world of Dark Souls IS bleak as gently caress, but it definitely feels more "traditional fantasy" to me.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

You might not KNOW you know, but you know why.

It was nice of them to release a beta that saved me $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I think alot of the misgivings people have been having have to do with a leaked script that supposedly contained stuff that puts the fanservice in ME2 to shame.

Also the fact that Ashley went from looking like this:

to this:

I don't really see the problem with Ashley's changed look. In the first game she had pink battle armor when you met her and she always looked like she was wearing full-makeup at all times. These new images don't look too crazy to me.

• Locked thread