Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Feenix posted:

Crosspost from R3 thread (which is dead, hence the crosspost):

So for all the poo poo I talked about the MP beta, ( I wouldn't know about the final product since I rented and there's not even a trial online pass...) and I thought Resistance 2 sucked butt... I gotta say just about EVERYTHING about R3's campaign is divine! Great graphics and art, good tone, WEAPON WHEEL, plenty of ammo, and giving you lots to play with upfront.

Anyone who hated R2 (or even R3's MP) needs to give this a shot. It's satisfying... And lovingly crafted.

I got this from GameFly yesterday and I have to wholeheartedly agree. If R3 is Insomniac's apology for R2, then all is forgiven. It really doesn't even seem like the same company made the two games (which maybe their Raleigh studio was responsible for this one?). Although I suspect the campaign is much shorter than I'd like it to be, but it is quite amazing.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

BMB5150 posted:

This Resistance is from the main studio in Burbank. The Raleigh studio is working on the Ratchet and Clank game right now. I also fear that this may be a bit short unless when you get to New York there is hours more of gameplay from where I'm at and going into the tower making the wormhole.

Yeah, I figured as much with the Studios. There were different people in charge though according to wikipedia, so that's probably why.

Also I just finished it and I was right, way too short. Game needs about 4-8 hours more to it. My playtime was 7 hours 43 minutes and I combed most of the levels looking for intel, so it can probably easily be done in 7 if you hurry a bit. It was really awesome though, albeit the Half-Life 2 vibes were pretty drat strong (granted that's not necessarily bad). The game also has a ton of trophies (59) that are all in the campaign, so there's some argument for playing through it a few times if you're not into the multiplayer.

At any rate it's a great rental just for the campaign alone.

Edit: gently caress, I need a lot more credit points to buy all the behind the scenes videos...

Brightman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 10, 2011

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Certain aspects of Dark Souls are easier than Demon's Souls. Overall it's much harder, but it feels slightly more user friendly, save for the whole having to walk everywhere thing. The bonfires being a quick way to reset an area make farming quite easy, and you can do a lot at the bonfire that before required you to go back to the Nexus. Also I might be wrong but it feels like the fall damage is more manageable this time around.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I'm pretty sure it's just telling you what your total is, so you know you can level up something that costs 2 points for instance. So you had 1 point already, earned one from the mission, thus 2 in total.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Yodzilla posted:

I'll keep an eye out for it but if it happens it must not do it very often. So far I've danced on the tables in the general store in Whiterun and in the jarl's dining room and those places are still a mess.

I've seen these loading screens before in Fallout and Oblivion, and I'm pretty sure it's just referring to the fact that if you store something in a place that is public and not owned by you it can be stolen. Which for a pile of brooms doesn't seem to ever happen. Or a pile of wine bottles sitting outside of a castle, although it's hard to tell if they're dwindling or not.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Stelas posted:

The other trouble is that every time you restart Heavy Rain, you notice more and more of the plotholes and stupid decisions. It loses its magic very, very fast.

This is the main problem, although if you do all the endings it almost becomes laughable. You don't have to completely start over, but drat near for a few of them. Its story branches are much like a tree's, and the closer to the end you get, the more branches there are, so as you go through the endings you can play less and less of the game basically. Renting it and just beating it once and accepting that ending would probably be best, unless you need to know "what if?" or something.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MrMidnight posted:

This is a smart thing to do. Don't be an idiot like me and keep buying games with absolutely no time to play them!! Counting my PS3, DS, Wii and PC games I currently have 15 games backlogged :argh:

Between Steam sales, GOG, and just not having enough time my backlog is over 100. Well, backlog of unfinished games is over 100, backlog of games I haven't touched at all yet is like 30 I think. There's probably a decent chunk I can just dismiss as stuff I'll never finish for whatever reason *cough*Trash Panic*cough* but yeah, I kind of need to whittle this list down something fierce.

Luckily there doesn't seem to be much coming out in 2012 that I care about asides from SSX and...AssCreed3? Few things I'm watching closely like the South Park RPG, but so far I don't have anything on my must-buy list asides from SSX.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MrMidnight posted:

God drat dude. I don't feel so bad now.
Mission accomplished then.

I have some that have been on there for a very long time, like FF9, which I started when it was new, then we lost the discs, got it off PSN (still had the saves), but forgot wtf was going on. But yeah, almost half of the list is from Steam Sales and Humble Bundles. Although the PS3/PSN portion is just as large, and I don't really have a good excuse for that.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Harlock posted:

WOTS introduces the concept, so it's a bit shallow and you can do a whole playthrough in the matter of an hour.

If you're a complete douche to everyone from the get go you can get an ending in about 5 minutes with you dead from being tied to the train tracks and telling anyone who might save you to more or less gently caress off. Stuff like that was what I loved about that game. I really should get 2 myself come to think of it.

Edit: WotS2 is 90 bucks?! I really don't want to have to go into a bunch of Gamestops to try and find this used, but looks like I might have to...

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 26, 2012

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly. AC combat is piss easy.

But I like that, because it makes me feel like a badass who effortlessly parries and kills like ten guards in a row and then vanishes like nothing happens.

I found a way to make the game harder the last time I played it before 2 came out: turn off all of the HUD.

Granted most people will probably just hate this, since combat is basically the same, and it just makes finding things harder. I always played the game as a parkour game that had assassinations between free-running sessions instead of an assassination game with free-running between murders, so this worked for me. This also caused me to get lost explore a lot in the countryside of the Kingdom that I'd otherwise overlook since flag hunting was pointless without trophies.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
First Journey run through I only had 2 companions, and one was just in the first area you can get one with the second being right after that, so I lucked out and got the trophy for having the same companion for the majority of the game...except I lost him in the very last part :(

Second play through I skipped to the level where I had started missing the history mural things and searched those out while various people either ignored me or followed me around, stuck with one guy to the end after getting to the part with the dragons in the underground section. Ended up with 7 companions listed since I ran into multiple people while wandering around the desert looking for secrets.

I'll probably play through this a lot, but I like artsy games, and I could see how some wouldn't like it. If you have a friend that gets it though you should probably give it a shot though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Third play through done, focused on getting the secret pickup item things. Missed one. Figured out that the spot in the level select area past the last one has a bunch of glowing markers that match up with how many of those things you've found too, so that's nifty. Also just realized like all of the cloth creatures are things from flOw and feel a bit dumb for not realizing it sooner.

It really is kind of nuts how beautiful they made sand. This game is pretty much the perfect example of how you make a limited color palette work really well.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

I said come in! posted:

Ooh poo poo, i'm dying over here. This way to funny. I wish I got that glitch when I played.

I don't think it would've been so funny if the glitch didn't also cause the character model to yell. Had that happened to me I might've died laughing.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Cartoon Man posted:

G4 is saying that Crystal Dynamics is working on rebooting the Legacy of Kain series, but more specifically Soul Reaver.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/721905/soul-reaver-reboot-rumored-for-crystal-dynamics/

Holy crap, has it really been over a decade since the last game came out?

While I would appreciate some closure in that story I really don't see how it can be a Soul Reaver game unless it's just an HD remake given the end of Defiance.

Ninja edit: Then again there is time travel in the series, so they could really just pull whatever out of their rear end I guess.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Cartoon Man posted:

A reboot usually implies that they will be starting over from scratch and ignoring any story from the previous games, but there isn't enough information yet to conclude anything. The series always had an insanely convuluted plot, as you said, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Oh, good point, somehow skimmed that bit and just thought they were restarting...so no closure anyway, and for the various reasons that have already been brought up it probably won't be that great anyway. Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky somehow.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Code Jockey posted:

e. Also 420 grapple statue heads to cars and drive away dragging the head behind you and smashing cars with it errday
...:doh: son of a bitch, why have I not been doing this? Granted crashing vehicles into the statues to blow them up is fun too, but this hasn't even crossed my mind...we could do it with helicopters too, use the head as a wrecking ball!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

SpacePig posted:

So I spent a few hours with Sleeping Dogs last night, and boy is it fun. It's like Sanders said, where it's somewhere right in between Arkham Asylum and Yakuza in terms of combat. It can be frustrating at times, but it's more that I'm not paying attention than it being unfair. I love all the dumb little things you can do going around the city, and it doesn't feel as empty as Liberty City did.

There are also neat little passive challenges that have you competing against your friends for unimportant things like kill streaks, jump lengths, high-speed times and a thing called a "clean drive", which I thought I had figured out until I had to take a turn, and then the clock stopped. Somehow Parkingtigers has about 2 minutes worth of clean driving that I'm having a hard time passing one minute of...

Everyone who likes sandbox games and beat-em-up games should definitely check it out.

I think Clean Drive stops if you use the handbrake or just fall below a certain speed. There's a trophy for 2 minutes of safe driving, which probably means Clean Driving, and I think the best way to get it would be on the highway.

A tip for the Hit and Run meta-game: Do what someone mentioned earlier and drive around with your car door open (hold X) to make the car wider as you go down the sidewalk.

Also one of the funnier moments I had last night was when I came up on a group of thugs that I had to clear out to hack a security camera and I just ran them over while they tried to fight the car. Had the radio on classical music.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Code Jockey posted:

And LBPK for $10, and Hot Shots Golf for $6.50? Woooo.

Actually, is that Hot Shots Golf any good? Been wanting to get into the series.

It's good, yeah, but do be aware that when you go online for the first time there will be like a thousand patches. Like maybe start it up and leave it over night unless it being a "complete edition" means it will download with all of that already.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Pretty sure the rumor is it's a touchpad like the back of the Vita, and not an actual screen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Dvlos posted:

There's also the rumor of biometric sensors?

Yeah, but those are probably on the underside of the grips if they're there. I'm basically just saying that looks too small to be used as a proper screen, and the touchpad rumors that were floating around would seem more likely for something that size. Although it could be a touchscreen, and maybe it would be for making custom buttons, but that seems asinine to me since you could easily use L1/R1+face buttons to increase your functions in a game. If it's a screen it just looks too small to be worth the effort in my opinion, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what's up and what they plan to do with it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

substitute posted:

How quickly did you get through it?

I grabbed and upgraded everything and I wanna say it took about 15 hours total, maybe a bit more or less. I also hosed around a decent amount though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Samurai Sanders posted:

People said this about Bioshock Infinite too, that's why I am suspicious. That game is definitely hallway-arena-hallway-arena-hallway-arena, same as Uncharted or a CoD game or whatever.

edit: it makes me feel like I have no agency, like I am just the passive recipient of enemy attacks and that's it. The only shooters I like these days are like Borderlands and Far Cry, where I feel like I am in control of who, how and whether I attack certain enemies.

edit: speaking of FC3, just in case you don't know, Blood Dragon is real. I feel like it should be in that alternative world photoshop thread in GBS right now.

The game is basically in the middle of where people who are singing it praises and people that are saying it's a mere corridor shooter is. There's a decent incentive to backtrack and do side things, but it does have a tendency to drive you on to the next part (admittedly it doesn't force this, so you can backtrack and spend hours collecting things while say someone is minutes from death, everything is going to explode, moon crashes into the planet, etc).

Based on what you said about FC3 and Borderlands you wouldn't like it (and also I would probably like Borderlands), but I will say that Tomb Raider is fun, so if you can manage to ever rent or borrow it from someone go for it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Dadjacket posted:

I beat the lance-nosed lion thing first and it took me about 17 minutes (I used the methods described). It wasn't so much the length that bothered me as much as it was the feeling that when I got hit by his charge attack it was because the dodge controls are inconsistent. That turned what would've been the tension of "oh god I hope I don't mess this up" to "well I hope the game stays consistent long enough for me to circle-strafe this guy to death."

I did that boss first and it took a super long time because I was still trying to figure out what was going on. I didn't make any progress until I realized I could switch to fists and then pummeled him super quickly. The lance's homing attack thing carried me through the two boss fights I did after that. Still need to finish that up sometime, but it sounds like I saved the harder/more annoying ones for last since I did the one right after the lance and the queen.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Sleeping Dogs is the Best (Only?) Game for clotheslining pedestrians with an open car door while driving. Also I like a lot of the little touches in the game like how if you wreck Wei will climb out of the front where the windshield used to be sometimes.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Stare-Out posted:

Reversing down a crowded street picking up pedestrians with an open car door while watching the Euphoria physics engine do its magic is a thing of beauty in GTAIV though.

:aaa: I hadn't thought of doing that.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

kidsam posted:

For you and anyone else having difficulty in stealth sections I can offer one piece of advice: Molotovs, Molotovs, Molotovs.
One well thrown Molotov can take out four enemies in my experience. This really only applies to Clickers and Runners though as human enemies are smarter and it's worth mentioning I'm only playing on Normal.

Because Clickers are blind and run wherever they hear noise wait for a couple to be in close proximity to each other, throw a molotov at one and the other will run straight over into the flames. I was lucky enough to have two infected run over and get caught in it too, they can see but theyre not smart and will usually get burnt too.

At least for Normal difficulty I can say the Rags+Alcohol combo should always be used to stock up on Molotovs, not Med-Kits. There are always a few protein bars and dog food(?) cans scattered around each encounter that replenish health instantly.

I almost feel like the game rewards you for doing certain strategies. I'm playing through on hard, ammo is sorta scarce~ish, and I had a spot with a few Clickers and Runners that was being annoying stealth wise. So I threw a brick into the middle of the room, like 5 of them went to it, and then I threw a Molotov at them and got them all. They dropped like 12 shotgun shells and 8 revolver rounds, I did it to the next group and filled up my rifle ammo; it was great.

It's also kinda impressive how much stuff you can stealth past completely, but there is a decent risk-reward aspect in play there. Also I've been fooled by the cutscene to gameplay transitions being sorta seamless a few times.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

precision posted:

That's weird because most of the encounters with enemies I just go "gently caress it, I've got enough bullets for all these guys".

I guess I've been looking around a lot though. Like looking at all the records in the record store and stuff.

Might be a bit of both, my first playthrough was about 16 hours, and I dawdled a bit and scoured areas for supplies a bunch, but I also would sneak by as many groups of enemies as I could manage (some groups I know it's possible, but I'd gently caress it up and just roll with it). You still have a sizable chunk of extra time there though, you didn't like pause and eat lunch or something did you?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Aphrodite posted:

How many did 4 have? I can only think of 3.

You're probably forgetting about that arcade game QUB3D or whatever, and then like all the poo poo added in from TLaD and BoGT. Still I sorta doubt there will be fewer distractions, but maybe there'll just be more of the unstructured ones like base jumping and scuba diving rather than poo poo like Hi-Lo and spraying champagne everywhere and chugging it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Shalinor posted:

He uses a rocket launcher, so the trick is when you're driving around, listen/watch for craziness punctuated by explosions.

I found him twice over something like 20-40 hours of play, probably. He's a rare spawn, and he's super tough, BUT, he's worth something like 10 million? Dunno. It was enough that I started hunting him to pay for tons of higher-end weapon upgrades.

Either he can run out of ammo or he'll sometime have different weapons. I found him once and he was unarmed. Also there's a trick to beating him: unrelenting melee crotch shots.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
There's a bunch of stuff you can do in all the MGS games as far as loving around with guards go, and so many details like the ice cubes and poo poo, it's just insane. I've spent hours and hours just loving with Marines in the Tanker and guards in MGS3, there's some fantastic videos on YouTube (or there were at least) with people making basically Rube Goldberg devices to gently caress with guards.

MGS2 thing I loved to do: After you get the stealth camo, get to the end with all the marines, use it to sneak in front of them, then equip a box. They'll all notice it and come up to you to investigate. When they're all near you or about to pick up the box switch back to the stealth camo then round house kick them to create a framerate killing domino effect.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 13, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Oh god, I just remembered the thing in MGS3 when you're captured and taken into Groznyj Grad and after you're tortured you can save the game and reload it before you escape and something amazing will happen. After it's done call loving everyone on the codec especially Signit. Just call Signit all the drat time really.

Edit: Dammit, now I have to play MGS3...just thinking about all the poo poo you can do. Also thanks for the video links Stare-Out, hadn't seen the one for MGS4 yet.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 13, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't in the HD version, just for the record, because it's technically the game briefly loading up a different weird unfinished game.

This is the worst thing I've heard all day.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Spalec posted:

I always loved the huge amount of optional codec calls in Metal gear games. They fill in loads of little background details, and MGS3 has a call for every Gun, item, food, camouflage and facepaint, and some are hilarious. (particularly Snakes single-minded obsession with how everything will taste). Some of the food conversations are even slightly different if you've already eaten it, as Snake will share his opinion on whatever it was.

Plus, you can throw live snakes at guards and then shoot them while they're :derp:ing.

I loved every bit of this, all the calls for every little thing were just great. They also spawned this thing, which is sorta dumb, but me and my friends will shout out CRAB BATTLE! in a gruff voice every once in a while and crack up about it.

Also I just remembered the loving Kerotan frogs...and finding all but like 3 without a guide back when I got MGS3...god drat some of those sucked.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Renaissance Robot posted:

gently caress all this Metal Gear chat, September 13th can't come fast enough.

What's going on on the 13th? I looked and I don't see any game releases, Gamescom is August, and TGS is on the 19th and 20th. GTA5 is the 17th.

Anyway, yeah, the MGS talk isn't entirely on topic, but I welcome it since there's not a whole going at the moment, but we're almost to the point where a new, big game will be coming out every 2 weeks or so. Most of the time I check this thread it seems to be talking about Yakuza or Persona games, that or how a game series should be played in order.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

BlindNinja posted:

Not sure, but GTAV is on the 17th.

GTAV. GTA5. What's the difference? :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Tomtrek posted:

It's the EU release date for the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection. I know because I'm waiting for it too, so I can start playing these games and then go back and look at all the things written in spoiler code about how awesome they are!

Ah, thanks for that, was starting to bug me. If you haven't ever played them you're in for a treat and I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear your reactions later regarding some of the more key points :)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

BlindNinja posted:

Time to see how much a Vita costs! I do have about a dozen games for it through PS+...

I'm sorta in the same boat here, as are many others I imagine. It's getting increasingly difficult to not buy a Vita given the price drop on top of already "having" a dozen or more games through PS+ and a few things I got that have cross-buy. I haven't added it up yet, but I think the "savings" from the games "cancel out" the cost of the Vita, but not those drat expensive memory cards. I might just do some budget rearranging and see if I can either get one at the beginning of the month or at least start saving for one.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, it frustrated me too. I nearly gave up on it but eventually just kinda made it happen. I know there's the whole tactic of messing with REX's missile perimeter or whatever, but I could never get that to work for me right. Eventually just kind of lucked out and managed to do it.

MGS2: MGS2's battle against the army of RAYs was similar. I eventually became a goddamn ninja with that rocket launcher, and was just flipping around and popping off shots like a pro. I thought I had to literally kill all, what, 25 of them? Thankfully it was more like 10-11... every once in a while one would land a lucky shot and by the end I had no rations and maybe a quarter of my health left

Yeah, that number in the spoiler text is dependent on the difficulty. Going through the game on every difficulty to get all the dog tags back in the day and doing that bit on European Extreme was...well, extreme.

Edit:VV You are correct.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 29, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

redreader posted:

I finally finished metal gear solid 1 after attempting the final boss fight a few times in a row. like, 15. After the first boss fight cutscene, liquid says this 'now finally it is my time to die' speech, then takes about 10 stinger missiles directly to his body, then gets punched out by snake, then shot by a ?50 cal? a bunch of times, and SURVIVES only to be killed by foxdie. Jesus christ.

On to metal gear solid 2. Last time I got to the fat man fight but my save was corrupted, and since I'm playing them all in sequence I just restarted 2 anyway. drat, Raiden's voice is whiny. Also, I got into a box and called everyone but didn't have any interesting codec calls!

I'm on my way to the fat man fight now, I think, 400 seconds left. Is there a best route from strut A, that maximises ration pickups? I wasted like 3 on the 'fight' with fortune.

This reminds me of the first time I played MGS1. My friend lent it to me and actually hung out while I played it a bunch a few months before MGS2 came out. At the very end when Liquid is reaching out and all you can see is his arm I say, "And then the arm will come after us and seek revenge!" and we had a good laugh. This made the first bits of MGS2 particularly hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Chard posted:

OK let's say this isn't an option because I'm a paranoid troglodyte without Paypal or trust in my fellow man. What is the cheapest way for one (1) person to get GTA5?

You could both buy PSN cards and just load up the wallet for the account. I think there are $10 cards to be had somewhere, but you could just both ante up 40 bucks and get GTAV and something else as well.

• Locked thread