Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Pandanaut posted:

For those that were wondering Journey is coming out next year. :(

I read this and thought a port of the classic Journey arcade game was coming to PSN.

But this one's good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

A new ad for PS3. Whoopee.

Great commercial until the whole 'Michael' thing.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

This was pretty much what I was going to say. It seems like a waste of a really good commercial, even if I somewhat enjoy the premise.

Yeah, I really loved the premise. It would have been a nice way to potentially introduce a new IP (new guy walks into the bar; music stops and everyone turns to stare) or it could have even just run its course and ended on a fade. The Michael thing kind of ruined the feel.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Dark Souls... Dead Souls... gently caress.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I occasionally select 'Playstation Home' by accident when I'm trying to navigate to the store. It always really pisses me off, too.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

...! posted:

That's nice and all but you have to actually plat the game before you can play Deus Ex.

That's cruel!

I'm glad I finally shook my psychological need to collect trophies. I still go for ones that force me to play certain games in different and interesting ways, but I have so little time to game nowadays that platting larger games like Fallout is almost impossible for me.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Even something in-game would be nice. That's what achievements used to be. Beat this track? Unlock this car. Kill this guy? Get this weapon. Beat a certain mode under a certain time? Unlock this character.

Now it's just Do any of those things, get a shiny picture. To get any of those rewards, buy some stuff.

Multiplayer trophies can go ahead and go gently caress themselves.

Exactly - I think somebody really missed this bus here. Any kind of tangible incentive, no matter how small, would have been nice. I'd even take the PSN store opening up special backgrounds or avatars based on your level. After several years of enjoying the sound of a new trophy/achievement unlock, I now just don't give a poo poo.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Exactly.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So how is Uncharted 1? I've never played this game before, what should I expect? I'm thinking tomb raider?

Also how long is it?

If you haven't played Uncharted 2 but are planning on getting into the series, Uncharted 1 is highly recommended. You can play it on medium difficulty (making the combat very easy) and just go through it for the story in a couple of short play sessions.

If you've already played U2, there are some improvements that personally make it almost impossible for me to go back to U1. I'm not saying there's inherently anything broken in U1, it's just that U2 is so unbelievably polished that little things (like no hit detection during certain enemy animations) in U1 will seem extremely obvious.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

GUI posted:

The QTEs in Uncharted 1 were so useless and out of nowhere that they got completely rid of them in 2.

There's also like three logs you have to walk over while keeping your balance using your sixaxis. Thankfully this crap was also removed in U2.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SamBishop posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST, Uncharted 3. How... I...

Seriously, does Naughty Dog sacrifice virgins nightly in a blood pact or something? The PS3 shouldn't be able to do this kind of stuff...

This makes me happy. Then I remember that my wife wants to give this to me for Christmas this year.... gently caress.

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 27, 2011

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

After Monster, every Pixeljunk game has been worse than the last. Really disappointing.

I really dug Shooter!

I thought Pixeljunk had announced (or was rumored to be working on), several years ago, a dungeon crawler of some sort. Anyone know what happened to that, or am I smoking crack?

edit: Used that Google thing all the kids are talking about... disappointing lack of news.

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 29, 2011

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I dunno, Kevin Butler had an awesome idea? He could be the end boss.

This post wins.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

bubbapook posted:

Ease up on the left stick when you pull out of the dive. I was hitting the clown's teeth every goddamn time until I tried pulling out of the dive by just letting go of R2. A few more tweaks and I got it. It's definitely the hardest of the bunch, the rest took me no more than a couple of attempts each.

This is the secret right here - I'm not sure if this description is apt, but Batman's gliding controls kind of accelerate quickly. You have to be very gentle and pull out of turns and dives a hair earlier than when your eyes tell you to.

I eventually completed them all and trust me, if my rear end can do it, so can yours.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

That scene basically becomes AR Training lite...

I guess the AR stuff does help to introduce some extra gameplay mechanics in an immersive (read: non-shoved in your face 'this is a tutorial time-out') fashion.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

This may be more exciting to people who have read the books or seen the series: an action RPG based on Game of Thrones is in the works for PS3, 360, PC. It's being developed by Cyanide, published by Atlus.

Source: http://rpgfan.com/news/2011/2410.html

Cyanide is also working on another action RPG. Apparently they made Loki, which I don't remember hearing good things about.

Here we go - it'll be the same gaming arc that we saw with the Lord of the Rings movies.

A couple of action RPGs followed by an RTS or two. We'll probably get at least one cancelled project and then, to top it all off, an MMORPG. Oh, and a flash game and a Facebook game as well. One will include a midget tossing minigame.

Okay, I'm on board for that last one.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

sentrygun posted:

Except the Action LOTR games were actually kind of fun for what they were. These games are either just going to be a rehash of that kind of stuff or probably worse, so they'll have to entirely lean on people impulse buying it because they like the series.

Or maybe it'll be good, but the chances are pretty slim.

I actually dug the RTS, too!

But I do remember game after game after game... They managed to squeeze every ounce of blood out of that license.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Oh, EA. You so crazy.

http://kotaku.com/5863657/ea-wants-to-make-a-dead-space-first+person+shooter-and-more?tag=rumor

Kotaku posted:

EA is looking at new ways to expand Dead Space, an insider told Kotaku. The Dead Space team was apparently told that it must look at ways it can make the series bigger and better. Thus, according to the source, EA is working on a Dead Space first-person-shooter. That's not all.

This would not be a first. Back in 2009, EA released an on-rails Dead Space shooter for the Wii called Dead Space: Extraction. The game, a prequel to the first Dead Space, was ported to the PS3 earlier this year.

EA's desire to expand Dead Space is also apparently why there are plans to make a Dead Space flight game—in short, it's Dead Space, but you're flying ships.

The insider added that after these titles are completed, the Dead Space team is moving forward on "an Uncharted-like game". Work on this game has not started yet, and the title is still supposedly in the early planning stages.

Obviously all way too early and way too sketchy to draw conclusions from. But part of me just wishes they could leave a good franchise well enough alone rather than trying to clone and shoe-horn it into a million different profit centers.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does VC play anything like X-Com because if so then that's an instant buy for me.

Yes and Yes. You can probably get it on the cheap now so it's worth gambling on.

As has been stated a lot, the style will turn a lot of people off at the front door, but the turn-based strategy is great fun - especially if you're an old X-Com vet like me.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I'm starting to feel that itch as well. Almost makes me want to borrow a PSP and give VC2 a shot while I'm in Brazil next week.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah, after dealing with the awful Xbox 360 dashboard and its many terrible iterations since launch, along with the goofy Wii interace, the XMB is downright fantastic. It's just so quick and responsive and easy to get to where you want to go that I cannot fathom why somebody would dislike it unless they just have some goofy anti-Sony frame of mind that they're firmly locked into.

While it seems the interface thing has been put to bed, I just had to chime in that the PS3 XMB is so consistent for me that I'm routinely able to enter a game or the store before my TV fully turns itself on (yeah, it's old and even new bulbs are poo poo for me) or switches input. I know that's mostly muscle memory, but I think it speaks to the responsiveness and consistency of the interface as well.

I know, small thing, but for some reason I always take note of it and smile when my TV fully brightens up and the loading screen for Arkham City is already doing it's thing.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Pandanaut posted:

I can't wait to :rock: to some Final Fantasy XIII-2 Chocobo music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Look! We can make Western-style RPG!!!

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Shalinor posted:

UC2's, though... gently caress. That. poo poo. There is no strategy for that bastard other than "run like hell in the opposite direction, hoping his AI picks the path you expect, hoping some of your tossed grenades hit him, and if they do, maybe you've got a window of 5 seconds to shoot him." I blew hours on him, and the winning bout took something like a half hour of constant running.

Beat me to it... I was going to bitch about this as well. I spent most of my 'crushing' run just dreading having to fight that fucker again. Closest I've come to breaking a controller in twenty years.

UC3 is in the hands of my wife awaiting Christmas, but I'm praying to God that there's no jarringly changed mechanic at the end game again.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I've got a spare Starhawk beta code if anyone wants it (the one that comes with UC3). As much as I'd love to jump in on it, I won't have the time and would rather see someone else get some use out of it. PM or post if interested.

Done - given away to the lucky man below.
VVVVVV

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 23, 2011

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Kratos dying is just sort of this thing that happens. He gets used to it.

Having never really gotten into the God of War series (and I swear I will... someday), reading snippets of story line like this is quite funny. And confusing.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

And FONV, and...Oblivion too? Of the four of those I only played FO3 and briefly Skyrim on the PS3 though. Once you start with the post-game DLC in FO3, things just get awful.

It's the fact that the issue exists across multiple (very successful) games spanning like six years that makes me think it will never be fixed.

It's this last point that leaves me in a great depression. I so want to play Skyrim but I'm fearful of the PS3 version and I think my dated PC will practically laugh at me if I try to make it run it.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Does Bethesda just not know how to code PS3 games or what? I know they're buggy games in the first palce, but having that many console-specific issues is insane.

I've read a bunch of explanations regarding the way PS3 and XBOX use RAM, some are more or less fanboyish than others, so maybe there's something there.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Same here. Lots of fun to spas out in the middle of a Modern Warfare match.

Come to think of it, I haven't had the issue in quite some time. But I'm sure it will happen in a few minutes now that you brought it up.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Argh... Away for work for the last week and am finally home, looking forward to finishing Uncharted 3 and blasting away at BF3. And blinking red light; my launch phatty is finally dead. gently caress.

Time to figure out how to remove UC3 from the corpse...

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Puddin posted:

I wondered where those were in the menu. I just assumed that it would open up after a first completion. That's a really strange decision on ND's part.

I think there was a claim by ND at some point that the disk was so full of direct game content that the usual unlocks were impossible. Or something.

That said, I had plenty of reason to go back and play UC1 and UC2 two to three times each just for achievements and generally showing off the games to people. My PS3 just died with UC3 50% completed and still in the loving drive, but once I get around to buying a new unit, I'm sure I'll end up playing that one multiple times as well.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Less ammo and faster weapon degradation (if that's even in the game) as well. Don't forget that.

1999 is when System Shock 2 was released, so think of mechanics from that game.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I really enjoyed the combat. Once you got the rhythm of it down, there was some beauty to that system. Wouldn't necessarily call it a bad part of the game, maybe a debatable part of it, but certainly not horrid!

Edit: I should add that I'm not defending any of the rest of the game or implying that I'm even giving XIII-II even a moment's glance.

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 20, 2012

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

vkeios posted:

to be fair though. Uncharted 3 is easily the worst Uncharted single player-wise. If it didn't have that Uncharted name (and my expectation that it'd get better), I probably wouldn't have bothered completing it.
I'd keep that firmly under the 'opinion' category and not as an absolute fact. I liked UC3 more than 1 but not quite as much as 2 (but all three are under the love category for me).

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I haven't played FF13 or FF13-2 and I don't really like JRPGs either, but watching reviews for the games makes the combat look pretty fun and it looks gorgeous too. I wish they'd make a game where it's literally just the combat system and everything else is stripped out, I'd probably buy it.
If you really do enjoy the look of the combat, be warned that you have to put a lot of hours into 13 to unlock all of the paradigms and open some of the more interesting skills. I haven't played 13-2, so I don't know if you start from scratch or not.

Like others have said, if you want to give 13-2 a try, waiting a couple of months for the inevitable price drop might be worth it.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

The thing that too many people miss with VC because of the anime style is that it is genuinely a really, really good strategy game.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

This is how I've felt about every FF game I've played. I started with VIII and liked it well enough, but never got around to beating it because I stopped caring. I kept trying other ones that I was told were better (VII, IX, VI, IV) to figure out why it was such a popular series, and I still haven't figured it out.

While I can see some of the appeal, none of the games really strike the rigth balance between Too unfocused and Too linear.
I believe, for me at least, that nostalgia plays a huge role in the popularity of the series. I have great memories of having a new Final Fantasy game release every couple of years as I was growing up - all the way from middle school to college and beyond. I love those memories and wouldn't trade them for anything, but I'm certain I wouldn't be able to stand playing some of the earlier games again. At the very least, their appeal would be significantly mitigated if I were trying them for the first time.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

At least today's PA is on the topic du jour:
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-t8C4nnx/0/L/i-t8C4nnx-L.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

This is part of the reason SWAT 4 was so great - heavier armor slowed you down a lot but seemed to only give you a percentage chance of not dying instantly when hit. Heavy armor was something like a 50-50 chance of dropping when shot in the chest, but you still had a (small) chance of staying up when shot with no armor on.

Putting that poo poo in CoD as an alternate gamemode or something would be awesome. Two people with scoped rifles and a vantage point could dominate the map even more than already happens!
There is hardcore mode - but the game still plays like a coked up ferret in a kiddie pool.

I agree completely. CoD is not set up to be a tactical shooter at all - I was just pointing out that there was an alternate game mode but, in my opinion, it sill doesn't offer what bbc (and I, for that matter) is looking for.
VVVVVV

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 10, 2012

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

To me this is the only way to approach a CoD/MW game. Take it for what it is, big and loud set piece battles that are fun to play once or twice with multiplayer so twitchy it feels like Mohammed Ali on Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

And because you mention it - God drat I can't wait for Borderlands 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

The thread's just gonna keep recommending Valkyria Chronicles to literally everyone who posts, huh. Not that I have a problem with that, it owns.
The thread title should almost contain "We're Not Going to Shut Up About VC". I literally started it again last night on my new unit after my old one red lighted.

• Locked thread