Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Castlevania Chronicles and Symphony of the Night for Playstation Plus users today! :woop: Can't wait, I've never tried Chronicles yet but I love Castlevania.

Also, Trine 2 and Awesomenauts. I've never heard anything about Trine 2, but the artwork looks pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

Discounting the already mentioned Arkham Asylum, that is the worst cover for a re-release since this:

I used to go into Best Buy a bunch when the DS was hip, and every time I'd go in, I'd see this cover. It was loving hilarious then, and it's still loving hilarious now.

While we're on Castlevania, I really wish Konami would release a compilation of all of the good GBA/DS Castlevania games they've made and stick them on PSN.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Played some Castlevania Chronicles earlier. Arranged mode is kind of nice, but I am honestly a little disappointed that the game isn't a simple remake of Castlevania 1. Most of the controls are the same, and the first level is much the same, but then after that everything is either new or remixed. I'm stuck on the revamped Medusa in Stage 4 now. :argh:

Oh, also, Trine 2 is neat! I wasn't expecting it to be a classy sort of puzzlegame/action/adventure mix. It will be a nice time killer.

ImpAtom posted:

The DS ones would be hard. All of them contain content which pretty much requires the touch screen in some way or another. DoS is the worst of the lot but there are bonus modes and abilities in the others which require the touch screen as well.

Yeah, I agree. They'd have to forgo things like DoS's Magic Circles and ice cubes and the Sisters mode in PoR, but otherwise it would mostly be a port job, though probably not simple. I just hate to see these games lost to time solely because they tried ambitious gameplay ideas.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 2, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Shalinor posted:

There's some very, very weird stuff in it that feels buggy, but I can't tell if it's a bug, or as-designed.

First level, third main area / just past the door, if you attack a wall, it spawns... little brown dudes? Who spawn until they hit max entity count possible? and keep spawning if you keep attacking? It seems broken.

I found that and I think it's a trap or an easter egg. In other Castlevanias like Castlevania 1, Bloodlines, Rondo of Blood, etc. that level is largely the same- one of the few areas in Castlevania that doesn't reform itself with each materialization of the castle. Every time that wall is hit, you can get a wall turkey to recover your health by about half.

My guess is that the developers took advantage of the idea that people playing this version of the game had also played the original Castlevania and knew that there was originally a turkey inside, and decided to set a trap. So instead of getting a heal, you just get more damage. I took it to be more like them saying, "this isn't the exact same game, guys. We did some different stuff!" For better or worse.

e; Wow I was beaten twice. That'll teach me to type a lot. :smith:
I'll just add that I really like Ayame Kojima's depictions of Belmonts.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 2, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I don't know if you can still get the PS+ discount for it, but I bought the Sonic CD port/remake last week for $3. One of the best PS3 purchases I've ever made. Playing on an HDTV with the Nostalgia setting to show the pixels in high quality... My god, it's beautiful. I hear that they got Christian Whitehead back to work on Sonic 4: Episode 2, so if it controls as well as Sonic CD does, I'll gladly pick it up when it's released on the 15th.

Just, not until I see it in action and play a demo. Game's gotta be perfect, after what Episode 1 pulled.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I started playing the first Infamous game. I just finished the first island and beat the boss, and I've been skipping the side missions and doing only the story missions because a friend told me it gets old really fast if you drag yourself around doing the side missions which are pretty annoying. confirm/deny?

The side missions are fine. The only ones I really dislike are the ones where I have to take down surveillance equipment or race against the clock to activate Satellite Towers. Everything else is pretty fun, like Jamesman said.

Practically the whole reason to play Infamous in the first place is to run around a city and beat up bad guys with lightning. The story is just a nice bonus.

Ein Bear posted:

Yeah, I'd kill for some VR missions or something with the MGS4 engine, the stealth gameplay was so awesome in that game... there just wasnt very much of it.

This is one reason why I love MGS Peacewalker. It essentially has the same battle system as MGS4, but with smaller maps. I'd still love a proper expanded version of MGS4.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Krad posted:

Good news, everyone! Sonic Generations is still a better game than Sonic 4 ep 2.

Yeah, I don't see how that's good either, but there you go. The cold hard truth. :colbert:

axleblaze posted:

I was really underwhelmed by episode 1 so I downloaded the demo and heard that the music was still awful. Sure the controls seemed tighter and it seemed Sonicish but I still won't be getting it, at least not until it goes on sale.

I mean seriously, how do you have bad music in a Sonic Game? Even 2006 had a pretty awesome soundtrack (when the songs didn't have vocals).

Yeah... I got Episode 2 and am enjoying it so far, except the end of Act III of the Snow Level where there's a Swimming Spike trap essentially made to waste as many lives as possible.

They're definitely trying harder though. The controls are back to Sega-era goodness, and aside from there not being a button specifically for Spin-dashing, I'm happy with them. I got really used to just pressing the square button to spin dash in Generations, so going back to pressing Down and Jump is a step backward with how often it's used. The fake-out in the first boss battle gave me a good laugh.

Still, yes, the music is very forgettable. They're still trying to have retro chip-tunes to call back to the Sega-era classics, but they don't fit anymore. Not because chip-tunes are bad, but because the composers don't understand how to make a good melody before even turning them into chip-tunes. I'd be happier if they just added a bunch of remixes to the game, but that would be the ultimate form of laziness.

So, yeah. A lot better than Episode 1, but still comes up short compared to Generations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

The Grimace posted:

Sonic 4: Episode 2 stuff

I think I'm just going to have to go and eat most of the words I posted a little while ago. The more I play the game, the angrier I get. Double-team rolling and flying are annoying as poo poo, and although the engine is as good as it was on Sega, the level design is mostly atrocious. There have been so many cheap deaths. Generations was so good... :smith:

And the boss music is just the same 7 chords over and over and over again. I'm regretting this purchase. :smith:

edit: Oh man, ImpAtom is of the same mind with me? I'm not just crazy, then. Thank god. This is still depressing though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He will be able to play them on his account, yes. Provided he keeps yours on his system, though he won't have to log in to it after he downloads the stuff. In fact, once he's done getting the games etc., you can even change your password and it still works.

They are not actually added to his account or anything. Should he need to later redownload he would need to go back in yours.

Just want to get a re-confirmation on this? I heard that last year, Sony was hoping to put a stop to account sharing, so my two friends and I all swapped games before they planned to place any restrictions. I'd really love for my friend to be able to play Persona 3, so I'm definitely gonna give it a shot if it's safe.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

axleblaze posted:

What Sony did was the reduced the amount of Share Slots from 5 to 2. So you can still share your account with one friend.

Oh... that explains it, then. Thanks. Looks like my two friends will have to hold off on getting some games for now, since I've been using my PSN account while babysitting at my brother's.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

^^ Also this. I didn't hate FF7 Cloud, and would rather see him. Also use his original 5 polygon model, please

Haha, this. That would cause so much fanboy rage, but at the same time, it would be a masterpiece. It needs to be done.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, I just found out that Jesper Kyd is not the composer for AC3. While they guy that is composing it helped on AC: Revelations, I can't help but be slightly worried.

This makes me want to cry! Ezio's Family and Venice Rooftops are some of the best songs in the world. I don't know if the AC series is the same without Kyd behind the tracks. I hope Stare-Out and SpacePig are right about the new composer's skills.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I agree that AC2 had the largest number of memorable tracks out of all the soundtracks, but I suggest you give the Revelations soundtrack a listen. There are a number of great tracks on it by Lorne Balfe. Be warned that if you haven't played Revelations but intend to, there are as usual, a bunch of spoilers in some Youtube comments.

Thanks for picking out those tracks. The repetition of the main melody adds a lot of cohesiveness to things, so I guess now I'm hopefully optimistic on what's to come. Even if Kyd isn't involved, I can believe that the soundtrack will be enjoyable.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Shiiiiit... so many good deals, so little money! I think I'll have to spend the week gathering as much loose change as possible so I can buy a 20 dollar PSN card to grab Infamous 2. I got the first Infamous from the PSN outage and have played it to death, and have really been itching for more. I wish we had more warning! :negative:

Would totally grab MK as well, but money's tight and I'm already going to have to sell my soul just for a twenty dollar card.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I really hope Final Fantasy Dimensions eventually gets a release on PSN/XBL. I don't have a smart phone or an iPad, but I absolutely adore classic Final Fantasy gameplay. :ohdear:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I really, really hope that the changes to Playstation Plus are good in the end. I've had a subscription since January and I don't regret it one bit. I've gotten so many good deals and free poo poo- but I hear that Sony's losing money on the Playstation Network overall, so I'm shaking in my boots that things will change for the worst. Crossing my fingers.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Haha, yeah, I bought it and I also have PSPlus. Well, whatever. Atleast I'll still be able to play it if my subscription dies.

Kind of kicking myself for not getting Mortal Kombat though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Harlock posted:

I wish E3 demos would be released on PSN and the like, even if they were timed.

I remember being so eager to try the Lost Planet demo back during E3 week however many years ago (on my 360). That was probably the last year when that was done.

That would be incredibly awesome, but at the same time pretty dangerous for developers, I guess. Maybe when there's a way to entirely encrypt the files so people can't datamine into every little nook and cranny.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

LBP Karting looks awesome, they should just go ahead and keep making different genre iterations of LBP (although you can already make a lot just in LBP2 itself). Give me an LBP RPG Maker!

I would give all of my money for this. Then I would meticulously spend years recreating my favorite Final Fantasy games from scratch. :allears: It would be an enjoyable investment, I think.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Infamous 2: Yeah, I loved how ridiculous Zeke was in Infamous 1. He was basically the biggest gently caress-up ever, but it was amazing to see how he would constantly get worse.

As for Cole, his voice actor in Infamous 2 is fine. I mean I loved his VA in 1 but his VA in 2 is just as good. Besides that, his voice is done by the same guy as Ellis in Left 4 Dead 2! :haw:

In any case, I'm having a blast with the game so far. My only issue is (opening game spoilers) Empire City getting blown up. I spent so much time saving that place. Still, New Marais is kind of neat, and the new characters are good.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

At the very least, I'm looking forward to running around as a Reaper in my replay of Infamous 2 on my Evil Save File. I just wish that more of the DLC was interesting- Classic Cole is neat. I've been using the Katana Amp Skin this whole run-through and am looking forward to the Reaper duds, but the other skins didn't really woo me. Gold amp, Caveman club, Kessler Costume... Interesting ideas, but I'm not a Kessler fan, and I would rather not use skins that solely manipulate the weapon.

Is the Infamous DLC Game any good? The one that looks like it's around 10 bucks on PSN? It would be a while before I could get my hands on it, but I enjoy this series a lot.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Thanks guys, I'll definitely pick up that Infamous DLC then.

And as an aside, Infamous 1 really does still hold up well. I see it as a different beast than Infamous 2 because most of Cole's powers control differently in each game. I want to say the overall tone of the games is very different too.

Just got the second to last blast core in New Marais. The watching TV & drinking with Zeke and Cole scene had me in stitches.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Well, poo poo. (Infamous 2 Good Ending Spoilers) Didn't that essentially just kill off the series? I'm starting another game for my Evil Cole, but I'm gonna feel like a really big dick if I kill Zeke and the rest of the sane world.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

They do the whole (Ending Spoilers)"lightning strikes his grave" and the lightning is in the shape of a question mark", so they can do whatever the hell they want, apparently.

Oh, I didn't catch that. Well, I'll have my fingers crossed, then. I really enjoy this series. It's pretty much the best Spider-Man game out there.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

axleblaze posted:

It's still really unlikely they'll be able to make a sequel because both endings are completely different. Honestly the world that exists in the good ending is not the same as the world that exists in the bad ending. If they wanted to carry it over they'd either have to ditch the moral choice aspect and just go with one ending or make two completely separate games.

Yeah, that's really my biggest concern. The endings both veer off in two entirely different directions, so they'd have to choose one specific ending to turn into the story canon if they are to create another title in the series. Unless they just entirely forgo the story and decide to put Cole in some random rear end city with no explanation at all and are like, "here, climb poo poo, or whatever."

I guess I'm just really surprised, first and foremost. The Good/Evil ending choice of the first game didn't affect Infamous 2, but here it changes the plot so much that it can't continue without a lot of effort. It felt more to me like they wanted to seal off the series with that decision, but I guess only time will tell.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I just beat Infamous 2 last night (bought it recently, finally got a chance to finish it), and I really enjoyed it. For the record, I played Good, and when you get to the end choice it you can either "Fulfill your destiny" or something like "Go against what you've learned" or something of the sort. I imagine when you play evil the choice descriptions are different.

Also, currently playing through again on Evil, and good lord I already feel like a giant rear end in a top hat. Zeke is trying to justify the bad things I do, Kuo is chewing me out, random civilians are running away :(. I think I should've played Evil first, then I wouldn't feel like I'm betraying all my allies.

The thing I like about Infamous games is that there's no real 'downside' to playing as a bad guy- in fact, not having to worry about hurting civilians allows me to cut loose and do dangerous attacks like throw cars more often. The downside is that the story really does go out of its way to make me feel like an rear end in a top hat when I play Evil, so that's one more reason why I play Good. If not for the trophies, I'd want to be Mr. Nice all the time. :unsmith:

Harlock posted:

Yeah, this is what I ended up doing - just very tedious. I think it took me about 25-30 zone changes from where you fight The Fear to get mine.

I also messed up sticking up The End. It's been so long since I played, I thought 3 times meant you had to surprise him 3 times, not shake him down. D'oh. That just led to having to replay that point.

I'm not looking forward to hitting Kerotans during the bike sequence.

Is there a specific trick to shaking down The End? The past two times I've played through, I consistently sneak up on him and hold him up. I go to shoot a limb to scare him like I do with other soldiers, but then he eventually just sends a flash bomb and I don't get anything from him. I remember doing this years ago, but I can't do it now...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't get to try MGO on PS3 because the poo poo would never load for me and then download updates. I wanted to give it a shot, but it would constantly refuse me, so I just gave up. It's a shame too, since I really wanted to be given the chance to play as Meryl, Raiden, and Johnny.

And then there was Portable Ops, which was kind of fun until I realized how easily my characters could die. ...And then stay dead. Not really sure how that whole mechanic was supposed to be fun.

The online that came with MGS3 Subsistence was absolutely fantastic though. I loved that entirely and would pay Konami to put a version of that on PSN. :allears:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Here's a two-year-old proposition I'm going to link because I really want it to happen, regardless of whether or not I think Sony actually pays attention to PS.Blog.Share.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

...! posted:

They'll never ever do that. They'd much rather sell the PSP/Vita hardware to you on top of the price of the games.

See, I understand what you're saying- a few years ago, I'd argue that Sony would not want to do this because they would hope to push sales of the PSP. But now, the Vita can play digital PSP games, and the PS3 definitely has the power to do so too. With the PSP's death not far off on the horizon, I think that they could stand to make a bunch of dough from people buying digital PSP game copies to play on the PS3. There are a ton of PSP games I'd love on the big screen, and Sony seems on the up-and-up with cross-gameplay between the PS3 and Vita. They already do it for games on the PSX and PS2, two systems that haven't been available for years; I think it would be a step in the right direction.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Is it just me or is inFamous 2 just not as good as the first one?

I just finished the mission where you use the spotlights on the monsters in Flood Town. How much more is there until the end? If The Beast is only a few hours away then I guess I'd be cool with powering through to the end.

I think they're both good games on a stand-alone scale, but I definitely feel that Infamous one has the better plot. In terms of movement, Infamous 2 is more fun thanks to the Lightning Tether and Improved Gliding. Overall, I think the story with Trish and the other characters in 1 is a lot more compelling than 2 though. And like I said before, I like how both play, but they both feel like different games at their core, so it's harder for me to judge them in that light.

I want to say the spotlight mission is between 1/2 and 2/3rds into the game. It's a little difficult to judge because of all of the side quests Cole can do to liberate town sections.

Oh, oh, and also- while the Ice Conduits in 2 are pretty neat, the enemies in Infamous 1 are a lot cooler. Reapers and Dustmen have very different designs and make them really stand out as far as game enemies go. The Militia and Mutants don't look as fun. The enemies in 1 felt a lot more animated.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 13, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, so, just beat Infamous 2 on the Evil route. Christ, that was a powerful scene. It was good, but it makes me even happier that I play "Good" and have a conscience.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Sticky bombs are so much fun. I don't really care much for cluster bombs- I love being able to slap an enemy with a grenade and then have it blow up, automatically arc restraining every enemy hit with the blast.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Jimbot posted:

With all the inFamous talk I decided to finally play the second game. I got it with my PS3 but I sort of forgot about it, despite really liking the first game. A lot of the advertisements and store names are pretty hilarious. It took me a minute but Red Ring Electronics was quite the jab.

This is my favorite fake store chain in a game ever. My UGC, "Flowers for Trish," takes place at the one on the southwestern edge of town.

I need to figure out how to do some better UGC when I get the chance. Every DLC I did try had tons of spelling and/or grammar mistakes, even the interesting ones. Still, I love the idea behind UGC. Everyone trying for Platinum has to play it multiple times. Atleast five of those times will always be newer content, so there will be a steady flow of reviews coming in to figure out if a mission is good or not. Plus, there's plenty of UGC out there built solely to raise karma.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5 has been confirmed to be in production by Hideo Kojima, and the game will feature Solid Snake again. The game is being developed with the Fox Engine that Kojima Productions have been working on, so it should end up looking pretty amazing. They've made no mention of what consoles the game will be made for (although it's a safe assumption it will be multiplatform) so nobody knows if it will be released for the current generation of consoles or the next. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll probably see if the for PS4 and Xbox 3.

Wait, Solid Snake in another game? H... how is that possible? :psyboom:

I would expect a remake of MG1 and MG2, but I think they would have provided more information if that were the case. I would even love a new MG series that didn't focus on Solid Snake, as long as it's done well. That said, I have HUGE amounts of faith in Kojima Productions, so I'm sure whatever they make with this will be good. That doesn't stop me from crossing my fingers though. I kind of like Solid Snake's story as it stands now, unless they'd like to add a chapter or two before MGS4.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Excelsior posted:

And if you start off playing Snake Eater and then play Portable Ops, you're going from literally the best game in the series to the worst game that is only sort of even acknowledged as being in the series. So basically, skip Portable Ops.

I'm here to tell you all that Portable Ops kicks rear end and not to listen to this person. The camera may suck, but that's the only complaint I have with the game. Hell, if you play it on Vita, the camera issues should be resolved quite easily. PeaceWalker is definitely a billion times better, but Portable Ops allows the charm of playing as Paramedic, Raikov, Teliko, and a bunch of other neat people.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Are you talking about the PSP version? I thought the camera was fine in the HD version.

You mean for PeaceWalker? PeaceWalker HD is fine, and I had no problems with it on PSP either.

Krad posted:

Really. So you were totally fine with the twenty feet high walls that surrounded every single map ever? How about all the dragging you had to make? The awful "storyline?" The limited inventory slots?

I think the only good thing I remember from the game is the music. Maybe.

I didn't have a problem with the walls at all and never would have thought anything of it if you hadn't mentioned anything. Dragging wasn't the greatest, but I didn't think it was that stifling. The storyline serves its purpose, and even PeaceWalker has limited inventory, albeit not as choked. If you want me to say that PeaceWalker is better than Portable Ops, I'll tell you that it is, no question. Portable Ops was still a really good benchmark and stands well as a game of its own.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Krad posted:

I was fine with it too until I reached the docks and realized that even there, all of the ships were surrounded by walls as tall as them. :psyduck:

I had fun while playing it sure, but the thing is: why would you play that while you could be playing Peace Walker? You couldn't do that when OP was first released, soooo of course you had no choice.

A change of pace, primarily. It's nice to play Portable Ops if only because it allows for different player characters than Snake and M/F Generic Soldier, even if it doesn't change things statistically.

I say the story "served its purpose," but that was kind of shorthand. I know the whole Gene Plot is ridiculous; at the same time, the plot has a lot of redeeming qualities. Seeing young Roy and working together with him to retake the peninsula is gratifying. Null's background and reveal was handled well, and they do eventually tie up loose ends I had with Sokolov. The tongue-in-cheek easter egg stuff like recruiting Ocelot and Eva aren't canonical, but I still liked working towards getting them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

In Dark Souls, I got pretty drat far into the game and eventually just gave up when I went underground and saw the ~6+ Capra Demons that continually respawned. I haven't played the game since then because, although I love the feeling of prevailing against such a difficult enemy, I get really depressed and upset when I spend tons of time on a battle and can't beat it on my own. I'll come back to the game eventually- I got a plat in Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls continually finds ways to gently caress me over, especially as a person who only dual wields daggers or doublehands a greatsword.

But if you like Spelunker or the Demon's Souls games, or even the original Legend of Zelda games, I really have to suggest picking up 3D Dot Game Heroes. I see it selling at K-Mart for $12 these days, and it's worth a lot more. Once you beat the game, you can replay it as Spelunker, where a single hit is Game Over. Heck, before then, it's just a blast- making your own pixelated characters, then running around a giant 3D Pixel World... I've got a lot of respect for From Software, and I'm always sad that this game in particular didn't garner a lot of attention. It's a drat good Zelda game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Those capra demons are a pushover, seriously. When you have all the space you need, their attacks become so predictable and easy to avoid it's crazy.

edit: and there is a warp-to-able bonfire just on the other side of them so you never have to deal with them again.

Seriously? Well, that bonfire fact makes me feel a little better... but at the same time, their reach is always astonishing to me. Maybe it's because my weapon reach is so small or because my armor is subpar, but I have a really hard time dodging their attacks- especially when two or more come at me at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Use a bow to pull them one at a time :shobon:

Will try this next time I play, thanks.

• Locked thread