Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

bubbapook posted:

So who else is getting Space Marine this week and facestomping some orks? I quite like the idea of co-op facestomping :black101:

I played the demo and it was pretty fun, but I know nothing about Warhammer so I'll probably get it cheap when I have nothing else to play. Nothing about it screamed "must have" to me but it seems like a solid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

So apparently the original Crysis is coming to PS3 and 360 next month as a $20 download. Here's the trailer (with 360 footage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZFZs9PjrY

I've never played it or Crysis 2, so I might pick it up at some point since everyone talks about it being a great game. I think it looks fantastic graphically but I guess it doesn't look as good as on a great PC, but I don't have a great gaming PC so I'll make do with my PS3. It still looks better than most games released this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Dead Island would be cool if it actually saved my progress each time I played. Last time I played I got up to level 11, tonight I resume my game and I'm back at level 7 and all the quests I had done during the last session were marked as new/unfinished. I don't know how that happened since I saw the saving icon several times, along with a "Game Saved" message after finishing quests. So that's pretty annoying and I'm going to sell it tomorrow.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

MrBling posted:

How is the Driving Force GT one? And are any of the non-Logitech ones any good at all?

The DFGT is my first (and only) wheel, and it's excellent. It was pretty much made for Gran Turismo 5 but it'll work with other games and I think it'll work ona PC too. There are better wheels from Fanatec (I think that's the company) that use belts for the force-feedback (the DFGT has gears so it's kinda noisy) but they're also more expensive.

I've been very happy with my DFGT and you will be too. The paddle shifters are just buttons on the back of the wheel but they work just fine for their intended purpose, there's only a sequential stick shifter but that works well too, and there's no clutch but for me at least it's not a big deal.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Honestly, I think the idea of him running away from his troubles is more interesting than another sequel about him being drunk and sad in New York.

It kind of strikes me as Rockstar trying to put their own spin on the game, and not just cashing in on the ideas that Remedy already used.

I hope so anyways, I want this game to be sweet.

I'm kinda tired of stories set in New York or Los Angeles. Yeah they're cool cities but it seems like every other (American) movie/tv show takes place in either one of them. It's nice to see stories in other places in the world.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Then why allow players interactivity during a cutscene if you're not going to allow them to interact with it? I don't quite get this. What's the difference between an actual cutscene and one where you sit around doing nothing if the characters around you act the same way and you have no possible way to interact with them, ask them questions, alter the tone of the conversation or even get them to react to the fact that you're more interested in staring at newspapers on a wall instead of listening to their world-shaking events.

I'd rather have a cutscene where I can interact with the actual scene, but obviously that isn't viable in every situation.

I like in first person games where you're following an NPC and the game takes over your body movement but you can still look around at stuff going on in the environment. I'd rather have that then being able to jump on the desk while someone tells me that the aliens have a crazy new superweapon or whatever.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Chard posted:

Ditto, Cole takes waaay too long to get from place to place unless there are train tracks around. Although, I have not played Infamous 2 yet. Is that fixed at all?

Yeah you move a lot faster in pretty much every way in Infamous 2, plus you start out being able to grind and glide.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Spoiler this for me, because I feel I'm fairly past this point and I have yet to do it, so I just want to make a beeline for where I can get this ability. Because goddamn and gently caress walking back from the Ash Lake.

If you have the Master Key then I think the shortest possible way to get it is Undead Burg -> Undead Parish -> shortcut to Blighttown from Firelink Shrine (New Londo Ruins/Valley of Drakes) -> poison swamp/Queelag -> Sen's Fortress -> Anor Londo. After you beat the boss of Anor Londo you go up an elevator and talk to someone who gives you the ability to warp between a few bonfires (what Surlaw said). If you don't have the Master Key there's like 3 additional areas you'd have to complete (Undead Burg part 2 -> The Depths -> Blighttown (the long way)). In my opinion it's better to do some of the optional areas/bosses instead of beelining since there's some good stuff to be had and you'll want to level up and upgrade your equipment so you're not getting murdered constantly.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Don't get the console version of Battlefield 3. The whole appeal of the game is the huge 64 player maps and next gen graphics that make it the best looking game out there right now. It's a pretty night and day difference between the two platforms, to the point where I really don't recommend the console version at all, unless you have a large group of friends to play it with on there, or your PC can't handle it.

Aside from connectivity issues that EA is aware of BF3 is fine on consoles, and it looks fantastic on my TV. If someone doesn't have a good gaming computer and wants to play it then they'd be fine by picking it up for PS3. Yeah I'd rather have 64 player battles but the 12 on 12 matches are still fun and tactical, the game does a great job of rewarding teamwork and you're never far from the action (unless you bail out of your jet/helicopter at the edge of the map).

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Wow, the aiming feels like poo poo in Uncharted 3. Its like its sticky or something or that the deadzone is really loving huge. Its annoying.

It's certainly jerky, but I kinda like the imprecision. You're not a super-soldier, you're John McClane from Die Hard. You miss some shots, you get beat up a little but eventually you win. I've been using hip-fire, blind fire from cover, and punching/headbutting dudes and having a blast. Throwing back grenades is also pretty sweet, and the stealth attacks are incredibly useful.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

a shameful boehner posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there anything wireless that anyone has experience with? I'm think about picking up this headset instead:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Bluetooth-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B001BR95PW

It's cheaper and has similar reviews without having (apparently) the sort of wireless interference issues of the headset.

This is what I use and it's awesome, though it can get a bit uncomfortable after being worn for a long time (then I just switch ears). You should get it so I can hear your complete sentences in Battlefield 3.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't think anyone plays either anymore. Right now the big multiplayer games are CoD:MW3 and Uncharted 3 I think?

BF3 is still crazy popular too.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The main problem with bf3 on console is that it's only 24 player servers, which feel a bit empty on some of them. I've heard that the smaller player count actually makes the rush game mode better, but I only play conquest so I'm not sure. I love the game on ps3 even though I know it isn't perfect, and if you want an online fps I very highly recommend it.

Rush mode is fantastic, and yeah I'd like a few more people in conquest but it's still a fun mode on consoles.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The Metal Gear Rising Revengeance trailer looks absolutely retarded and cheesy but I still kinda want to play it anyway.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

whip posted:

Anyone give the new GoldenEye a run yet?

I played the demo earlier today. I'm kinda bummed they didn't get Pierce Brosnan or Sean Bean but the game's pretty enough and I'm a big enough Bond fan that if I had a Move I'd probably buy it. Playing it with a DS3 isn't anything special though. If I ever get a Move I'll probably pick it up, from the demo level at least it seems like it's really meant for motion controls.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

SR3 has some of the best missions I've ever seen in a game, and Zimos is the best videogame character ever. Everyone who likes fun should play it, and I'm super glad they announced a 4th already.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Ok, I'm crossposting this from the SSX thread, and I know its the XBOX footage... :downs:

But seriously, SSX is going to be so much drat fun when it comes out, and everybody needs to pre-order it now.

I can't wait for this game. It's going to have custom soundtracks right? I need to get a bunch of Fatboy Slim and Jane's Addiction songs on my PS3 when this comes out.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Hi thread, have a new Far Cry 3 trailer. It's not in-game footage, but it looks cool anyway.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Seeing the stuff for Assassin's Creed 3 reminded me that I hadn't played Brotherhood or Revelations, so I picked up Brotherhood last night and it's excellent. I like the execution-chaining, reminds me of Arkham Asylum where you can move around an area and be a badass. I'm glad there's a recap at the beginning, it's been a while since I've played AC2 and I had forgotten a lot of stuff. I still like how the database entries for people and places have a sort of funny (wanna say sarcastic but dunno if that's the right word) tone, makes for a non-tedious way to read a codex and learn about people/places.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

Ok so I'll mark that on my list of must-plays. How about Twisted Metal? I really loved playing it when I was little but... would be girlfriend be able to enjoy it with me? She's been expressing her interest in gaming a lot lately and I would like to pick up some "non-hardcore-gamer" games

And how about Journey? I know it isn't out yet but it looks really interesting!

The Uncharted series, LittleBigPlanet and its sequel, Flower, Assassin's Creed series, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous and Infamous 2 are all what I'd call "non-hardcore-gamer" games and most of them should be pretty cheap now. The sequels all improve on their predecessors too. I haven't played Twisted Metal yet but if it has split-screen co-op then go wreck poo poo together. And I think nearly everyone's looking forward to Journey.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

axleblaze posted:

:crossarms: What exactly is your definition of a "non-hardcore gamer" game? You pretty much have all genres in there and only LBP and Flower are what I'd call remotely casual.

The guy came asking for game recommendations for his girlfriend and that was his criteria. He didn't ask for casual and the only games he mentioned were Twisted Metal and Journey, so I just presumed he meant "not Dark Souls or huge timesink games like Skyrim" and rattled off some fun games that lots of people like (though RDR can be a timesink). Ask him what "non-hardcore-gamer" games are.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Out of what you listed the only things I think she could handle/really enjoy are LBP, and Flower.

So get LBP and Flower and go from there. Or get that Prince of Persia game that's nothing but QTE's and you literally cannot die.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I want to take a quick break from the "Is spending $15 (of presumably disposable income) on a 2-hour game/luxury item worth it?" chat to say that the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is a hell of a lot of fun, especially when playing with a friend or two. Most pubbies I've met seem to know what they're doing too, which is nice. The campaign is pretty good so far but I don't think I'll tire of the multiplayer for a while. Biggest gripe is how long it takes to join a friend's game, it makes you go through all the menus and character selection screens.

Also I'm buying Journey in the morning, it sounds too good to pass up.

Krad posted:

Seeing this while looking at an Abed avatar next to it really made me miss Community. :(

It's coming back on Thursday!

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Just Cause 2 is so much fun, thanks to whoever suggested playing it on casual. I had started it on normal and wasn't feeling it after the first couple missions, so I restarted and I've been hooked ever since. The parachute slingshot is fantastic and bouncing from vehicle to vehicle is lots of fun. I wish there was a radio, I like the news broadcasts but some music would make everything better. And I wish there was co-op, a friend would make all the great stuff even better.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The best part of RDR was forming a posse with your friends and shooting each others' horses. Or riding up to join them and instead of dismounting you just shot your own horse in the head. Or jumping in a stagecoach and driving it off a cliff (or shooting the horses then falling off a cliff). Or following a dumbass pubbie (who had stupidly attacked you and your group) across the frontier, killing him whenever you caught up and then chasing him down again. It was like True Grit: The Game.

Basically the free roam in RDR was tons of fun and worth the cost of entry. I loved the single player but I'd love a big online Red Dead game even more.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

The worst part is that I really enjoy the game, aside from the broken bits. I do with their was a romance option with Jack tho, she's so moe.

There is a romance option with Jack, provided your Shepard is a guy.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Speedball posted:

Some of the stuff in the list he can create is sugar. I wonder what that's used for... monster bait?

Well you can mix it with saltpeter and make a smoke bomb, or maybe Joel likes a little sugar in his coffee.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

This is apropos of nothing but Dragon's Dogma loving owns. I'm only level 20 but I'm having a blast running around with my pawns, jumping on monsters and throwing bandits off cliffs. Fantastic game.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Assassin's Creed 3 engine trailer shows Connor killing some militia guys as well as redcoats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4

I'm pretty excited for the battlefields and naval warfare, I hope they have actual battles from the Revolutionary War in the game. After storming the beaches of Normandy in a dozen games I'd get pumped to attack/defend Breed's Hill.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I got Amalur for $15 and I've been getting $15 worth of enjoyment out of it. Mediocre is definitely the most accurate word I can think of to describe it. If it had come out as a handheld game I think it'd be better, but that could just be because I don't have any action RPGs on my Vita. I dunno if I'll make it the whole way through (I'm 15 hours in and just left the first region) but until I decide to go out and get Sleeping Dogs it'll have to do.

Danthrax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 16, 2012

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Is there not a Rage Demo in the PSN store? I thought there was one released. I looked it up and it's on the Xbox marketplace, and Google tells me that there were plans to release one that I haven't seen any info to contradict.

There was a demo at one point (I remember playing it), maybe they've taken it down if you can't find it. I don't remember being very impressed.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The more I play Amalur, the more I hate it. It takes so many ideas from other games but doesn't use any of them well. I'm level 22 and I think I'm just going to sell it tomorrow and get Sleeping Dogs or some tequila.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I just want to say that Assassin's Creed 3 owns and I want a pirate game using this engine/combat style. A remake of Sid Meier's Pirates! or something, but with more customization and more upgrades and dynamic weather and throw in some whaling too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Skyrim's a pretty easy plat, just takes a while. Hardest part is knowing you're playing the worst version of the game.

• Locked thread