Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Hooray! It's time for PLOT!

(And Winson, in case it wasn't clear that all bets are off: Hiro is OFF THE LEASH.)

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Hooray! It's time for PLOT!

(And Winson, in case it wasn't clear that all bets are off: Hiro is OFF THE LEASH.)

Dude when Hiro is off the leash you will know it by the RIVER OF CORPSES

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Also where is our XP, we should have some XP, look at how experienced we all are.

Except for ambi's guy, because she is a filthy Crane. Give her less XP.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sorry to slow the game down but just got back and its 2AM so probably no post from me at the moment, gonna sleep on it and come up with something to stop the crazy

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 22, 2011

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Do we have any blood relatives of the fallen champion here, not just clan but someone close to his lineage... I have something dumb

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Interesting question, Stormgale. From the Lion delegation, there are six Akodo: Hiro, Takao, Han (NPC), and three other thus-far-nameless NPC bushi. Given that Arasou was not married, none of these would be his children. So the closest they could possibly be is cousins or nephews, but given how many Akodo families there are (and given that none of the PCs or NPCs have the Advantage: Social Position), even a distant blood relationship is highly unlikely.

Why, what did you have in mind?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Considering the importance of dynasty in L5R I was gonna have him suggest something very narritavist, that an Akodo (especially one close to the dead Champion) could feel if the blade was off... even by the slightest amount

It is kinda stupid but my guy is a sucker for story stuff like that

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I have posted anyway, take THAT indecision.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Huh. Not a bad idea in general, but in this particular case, if they didn't buy the Kitsu's claim, when that family is known to have insight into Ancestor-y things, then the Crane aren't likely to buy a more nebulous notion of some random Akodo feeling "off" about a sword.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ok One more question (sorry) Is it appropriate for a brief story, no more than 2-3 sentences... I think I need some free raises to back up my Bro WinsonPaine

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 23, 2011

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
What's your question?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Considering this is pretty rapid I was wondering if I could fish for some free raises with a quick parable/story (as its your call whether I have time/it'll actually work) the story itself would be illustrating winson's point

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I personally like seeing the actual numbers, just adds that Vegas feel to things when you can see a die explode and such.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I don't really care one way or the other!

At risk of sounding like a kiss-rear end, do whatever's easiest for you.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Weekend has been kinda busy...I'll get a post up Monday, hopefully in the AM.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I demand no numbers be posted, ever.

EDIT: This includes IC numbers, like if Oracle's guy has three katanannanaas and ambi's guy takes away one, that means you post oracles guy gets decapitated for touching _____ katananananas after ambi took away _____ katnanaas

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Winson_Paine posted:

I demand no numbers be posted, ever.

EDIT: This includes IC numbers, like if Oracle's guy has three katanannanaas and ambi's guy takes away one, that means you post oracles guy gets decapitated for touching _____ katananananas after ambi took away _____ katnanaas

Using Persuasion/Courtier to agree with Winson, ___K___.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Should we stop using plurals then? I mean, they're really just implied numbers.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Too bad Winson, you get NUMBERS. Deal with it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tycho: To save on time just gonna pull stories from wherever, the names are probably made up by My Bard, if I ever want to tell a true story ill ask for a Lore: History (x) roll, sound alright?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Stormgale: sounds good to me. Your stories don't necessarily have to be true, even if they use characters or events or places from the L5R Canon (though you could get contradicted if someone else also knows the topic about which you are telling a story).

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Stormgale: sounds good to me. Your stories don't necessarily have to be true, even if they use characters or events or places from the L5R Canon (though you could get contradicted if someone else also knows the topic about which you are telling a story).

Yeah, in Winson's IT game, my character ends up telling a lot of stories, being a historian, and generally what I do is I go to the L5R wiki and grab a few place names or historical figures, and then string them together however I need, or I take a vaguely described battle or incident and add details to it.

Or take a real story from another culture or place in real history, and then just replace the nouns and situations with Rokugan things.

I wouldn't fret too much about maybe rolling Lore: History on some of these general knowledge things - I feel like having the skill is enough for you to bring stuff like that up. The only thing I'd watch is mentioning too much about secret stuff like telling stories about Scorpion ninjas, or the Spider-Clan, or celestial events that only the Kami know about, so on. You have to buy Super Secret Lore stuff for that.

In summary: play a little fast and loose with those sorts of rules for the sake of a better narrative. TBN might correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of GMs are pretty keen on that as long as you don't overstep.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Also beyond the obvious desire for good storytelling over scrupulous attention to the rules, Rokugan does not have a Wikipedia everyone uses for common reference. No one has a copy of the book, or Emerald Empire, or Great Clans. So honestly holes in stories or histories are pretty easily explained by the fact that hundreds of people have recorded hundreds of different histories. I mean even the official Imperial history as compiled by the Seppun or whoever does that poo poo, like, canonically THE MAP THAT COMES WITH THE GAME IS OBJECTIVELY WRONG and is maintained that it is accurate because to say otherwise would be blasphemous. So yeah, there are gonna be some gaps and disagreements. I mean poo poo, we have disagreements about how modern history went down RIGHT NOW and we don't have centuries of courtly bullshit and mannerly lies to obfuscate the truth.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
TL;DR: make up whatever details you want for your stories; only if it is important will I call you on it or make you roll Lore: History.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sry I only quote the actual tao/lao tzu/confucius in my rambling parables.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fine then guys, gently caress you im gonna use the l5r wiki for every story and make each a page long you dicks

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Man, do I love me some Bayushi Courtier!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And people wonder why I hate Scorpion SO loving MUCH

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah If I knew the scorpion was weighing In I would have gone all In... gently caress...

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Yeah If I knew the scorpion was weighing In I would have gone all In... gently caress...

That's why he ambushed you! You think he'd actually let there be a fair fight between the two of you?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Oracle posted:

And people wonder why I hate Scorpion SO loving MUCH

Why Oracle, does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Oracle, if I thought you weren't my friend...I just don't think I could bear it!

Tombstone is one of the best movies EVER. It's never not appropriate to quote the wisdom of Doc Holliday.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TychoBrahesNose posted:

That's why he ambushed you! You think he'd actually let there be a fair fight between the two of you?

Yeah it makes sense, just means I am gonna shut up and not speak anytime he is there ever

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Yeah it makes sense, just means I am gonna shut up and not speak anytime he is there ever

Once there was a Lion, sleeping in a sunny field. A Scorpion came to him and said, "Lion, you are so large. I suppose you are the largest creature in all the lands." The Lion replied, "Yes, I believe that I am." "And," said the Scorpion, "You must be the bravest and strongest creature as well." "That is what they say," said the Lion. "My only advantage is my poison tail," the Scorpion said. "And I suppose you could smash me underfoot before I could sting you even once." "I could, quite easily," the Lion said, rising and stretching. "In fact, if I stung you, I doubt you would even notice." The Lion looked down at the little Scorpion curiously. "Perhaps. But I believe that I will step on you now, tiny one, and you will never have a chance." "Oh, but great Lion," the Scorpion said, smiling. "I stung you five minutes ago." And the Lion had nothing further to say.

--from Way of the Scorpion

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Stormgale posted:

Maybe you could challenge him to something to which you are more suited? Perhaps a spelling contest?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You gonna skin that smokewagon or you just gonna stand there and bleed?

Man now I wanna play deadlands

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Oracle posted:

I'm your huckleberry.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Oracle posted:

Perhaps I should start another game. It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

On a game related note, I need to know where the Soshi sleeps.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Where do you usually find Scorpions? Under a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I can't believe I'm the one saying this, but killing the emissary of the Scorpions at the Peace Festival will probably backfire.

• Locked thread