Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Alrighty, if I'm intrigued enough by the Rebirth issue to want to maybe pick up ONE (1) of the core Superman books, should I be looking at Action or Superman? I like Lex's costume design, but the stuff with Bearded Superman and Lana was the thing that really caught my attention from the one shot, so... thoughts, goons?

The writer of rebirth is going to write superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

bobkatt013 posted:

The writer of rebirth is going to write superman

I dig that.

Rebirth was pretty good and Superman seemed to have more substance and connection with the overall DC Rebirth scope. The dialogue had gravity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I heard a guy on a podcast say Superman: Grounded is "what a classic Superman story should be like"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe he only read that one fill-in issue G Willow Wilson did? Because that one was real good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's unclear if he read it much, maybe he just likes the premise.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Isn't that the story where Superman decides he's skipped too many leg days, and it's finally time to make up for it? An inspiring premise, if so.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd say It's what it should HAVE been like.
Superman reconnecting with small town America is a great idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd say It's what it should HAVE been like.
Superman reconnecting with small town America is a great idea.

Well yeah, Clark doesn't even have a MySpace.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Welp, Action is certainly the weaker of the two main titles thus far. I'm still gonna stick with both for a month or two, see what shakes out, but Clark and Lois as slightly dorky parents, with super-stuff at the periphery and li'l Superboy freaking out about his powers is much more engaging than the, admittedly funny for the wrong reasons, adventures of rear end in a top hat SUPERMAN, the man who invades personal space to take things that don't belong to him and then claims the other person started the fight when he's pushed away!

Like, I have to assume Jurgens is writing Superman as a dick on purpose, because otherwise that's so tone-deaf it's amazing.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
At this point the only reason I'm keeping up on Action's plotlines are for possible payoff to the Mr. Oz Ozymandias? storyline.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gaz-L posted:

Welp, Action is certainly the weaker of the two main titles thus far. I'm still gonna stick with both for a month or two, see what shakes out, but Clark and Lois as slightly dorky parents, with super-stuff at the periphery and li'l Superboy freaking out about his powers is much more engaging than the, admittedly funny for the wrong reasons, adventures of rear end in a top hat SUPERMAN, the man who invades personal space to take things that don't belong to him and then claims the other person started the fight when he's pushed away!

Like, I have to assume Jurgens is writing Superman as a dick on purpose, because otherwise that's so tone-deaf it's amazing.

Are we reading the same Action Comics? I mean, yeah, Superman's kind of being a dick to Luthor, but if there's one person that Superman can understandably be an rear end in a top hat to, it's Luthor. Other than that, he's just been fighting Doomsday for the last four issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Are we reading the same Action Comics? I mean, yeah, Superman's kind of being a dick to Luthor, but if there's one person that Superman can understandably be an rear end in a top hat to, it's Luthor. Other than that, he's just been fighting Doomsday for the last four issues.

And I posted that after, I believe, one issue had come out. (And yes, Clark has reasons to distrust Lex, but trying to rip a possession away from someone then going "I KNEW YOU'D ATTACK ME!" when they defend themselves is pretty rear end in a top hat-ish) Plus Action is still pretty bad.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Well, I'm enjoying it. That may be, in part, because it's pandering directly to me in every conceivable way, but I'm on board either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Action #962 was actually better than previous issues. The main Doomsday plot was resolved (for now) and a few little subplots moved forward. The dialogue between Superman and Luthor has improved. And Jon cheering on his dad is fun. Hoping the series continues like this. Good stuff.

• Locked thread