Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Supergirl preview is up.

REALLY liking the art. Almost has a Bagley feel. The muted colors are nice. And I know the costume got some hate at first but the details are nice, the gold fringed cape and the modified S-shield are neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The legs of that costume still weirds me out, but everything else about the preview looks nice.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is that leg skin or what?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jago posted:

Is that leg skin or what?

I was about to ask. Because if not, that's one hell of a graduation attire

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Supergirl looks cute, but what the gently caress is up with her crotch area? Is the top just a shirt and the bottom intended to be some kind of chastity plate? The exposed hips are just bizarre as hell.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Red undies on the outside is okay if you are a woman

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

Supergirl looks cute, but what the gently caress is up with her crotch area? Is the top just a shirt and the bottom intended to be some kind of chastity plate? The exposed hips are just bizarre as hell.

Yeah, I kind of miss the skirt. It might have been almost pointless, but this crotchplate seems a little over the top, like they were thinking "now how could we show just that little bit more flesh? I know, let's take Superman's undies and cut the sides away!". That said, the outfit from above the waist looks pretty great. I like how the cape looks, and it's kind of neat to see the Superman Blue logo back in a less stupid context.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That panty line is really high. And yes, I still cant quiet my inner sperg about how the DC costumes all have a unified design aesthetic of SEAMS EVERYWHERE despite having such a disparate variety of origins.

Sleepless Dreamer
Jun 5, 2008

it's my calling to tell nerd :roboluv:ers how to :roboluv: properly
I don't know how to say it, but I love the art, it seems... European for lack of a better way to describe it.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Also I hate the reboot's fixation on knees and the knee pads and the weird segmentation and :colbert:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Ropey costume aside - I like how she's apparently NOT going to be the "don't piss her off!!!" type character the solicits told us to expect. All she is, is totally unfamiliar with the planet Earth - and that fits perfectly with the character coming to Earth at an older age. Supergirl's the one who'd say "Great Rao!" when Superman really wouldn't.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
What's the deal with Superman's costume in Action Comics? Is it going to change, or is it going to stay as jeans and a t-shirt? Because I really loving hate the jeans and t-shirt look.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Incendiary Pig posted:

What's the deal with Superman's costume in Action Comics? Is it going to change, or is it going to stay as jeans and a t-shirt? Because I really loving hate the jeans and t-shirt look.

Action Comics is set 5 years ago. Since in other comics we see him in a more traditional costume, we know it will change at some point. Also you're wrong because the jeans/tshirt outfit is awesome and works really well with the whole man of the people social justice thing.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Aren't the first six issues of Action Comics set in the past, and then Morrison will start writing present Supes?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

E the Shaggy posted:

Aren't the first six issues of Action Comics set in the past, and then Morrison will start writing present Supes?

Correct.

Incidentally, Justice League #1 is set less than a year later than this story, and he's already in the hilariously awful armor thing there, so this look is unfortunately not long for this world.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

E the Shaggy posted:

:swoon: forever. I'll buy the trade the INSTANT its available.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Correct.

Incidentally, Justice League #1 is set less than a year later than this story, and he's already in the hilariously awful armor thing there, so this look is unfortunately not long for this world.

God. The Superman armor is the one thing I just really can't stand. He looked so god damned awful in the last page of Supergirl.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't have a single problem with the new design.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

God. The Superman armor is the one thing I just really can't stand.

Leaving aside all the extraneous detail and the question of why the man of steel really needs armour, I actually think the red underwear and yellow belt is crucial to his outfit in terms of breaking up the sheer amount of blue with a barrier that's both eye-catching and bright. The red belt tries to achieve the same thing, but doesn't achieve the necessary balance and tips the outfit towards looking mostly blue.

The blue imbalance thing isn't exclusive to this, and I can't help but notice that the movie suit seems to be similar in a lot of ways (though we haven't really seen enough of it CGI'd and colour-corrected up to judge), going with the many lines thing and the belt (adding a red motif around the lower back and upper legs to offset the missing underwear, not dissimilar to what they've done with the new Spider-Man outfit, switching leg-stripes for the belt in a way that's just too fiddly to be iconic).

Overall, looking at the Jim Lee sketch feels like reading so many Project Rooftop contests, I do think that the new outfit is kind of cool-looking, but I question whether it's really right.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I think what people are calling armor is actually just unnecessary seams.

edit; vvvv well that is loving retarded. :psyduck: vvvv

another edit; haha, look at dat fuckin "is" up there

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 23, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

I think what people are calling armor is actually just unnecessary seams.
No, DC said it's Kryptonian battle armor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

No, DC said it's Kryptonian battle armor.

Which makes the Supergirl outfit even more loving ridiculous, "Better have armor on my upper body, but nothing at all will ever happen to my thighs." If she's nigh invulnerable then whatever outfit she wears you can just chalk up to the character's sense of style, but if you are going to go out of your way to say that the outfit serves a protective function, then you need to design it so that it makes some sort of sense.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I do think it's odd that they felt the need to mess with Superman's look yet again. His outfit has never really been "cool" or fashionable. It's timeless because it's always been bizarre. It doesn't even look like something a person would wear. Maybe less impressive now that it's been imitated thousands of times, but whenever somebody decides to "update" it, it suddenly ends up looking dated.

He's an invincible space man. He doesn't need armor, and he doesn't need to look hip. He needs to look iconic.

Don't be surprised if he's back in red underoos within a year or two.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I do think it's odd that they felt the need to mess with Superman's look yet again. His outfit has never really been "cool" or fashionable. It's timeless because it's always been bizarre. It doesn't even look like something a person would wear. Maybe less impressive now that it's been imitated thousands of times, but whenever somebody decides to "update" it, it suddenly ends up looking dated.

He's an invincible space man. He doesn't need armor, and he doesn't need to look hip. He needs to look iconic.

Don't be surprised if he's back in red underoos within a year or two.

Well Supermans modern costume isn't really iconic or original, its just based on what circus acrobats and weightlifters wore back in the 30's.

Even back then it doesn't look like the modern costume that we've come to know:

His boots were originally kinda of odd and space-age looking, his logo was small and looked like a cops badge and he lacked the yellow belt.

I'm always up for changing the status quo in costumes provided that we get an interesting look out of it. I admit that I don't really care for the modern "kryptonian battle armor" suit, its too busy but I'm a big fan of ditching the red undies and going for a sleeker and more simple look. I'd also be in favor of losing the symbol on the back of the cape, it looks out of place and asymmetrical.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bob Quixote posted:

Well Supermans modern costume isn't really iconic or original, its just based on what circus acrobats and weightlifters wore back in the 30's.

Based on, not directly copied. Most of those guys were either wearing just the trunks or a single-piece unitard thing, and Superman's take on it is as original as it gets without literally inventing a new idea from scratch. It's iconic because it's the unique, immediately reconizable, archetypal look of the character that fathered the entire superhero genre. What do most people first think of when they think of superheroes? Dude in a skintight bodysuit, trunks on the outside and a cape, a.k.a. Superman.

How could someone say that what the premiere superhero has worn, with rare and short-lived exceptions, for over three quarters of a century isn't iconic? :psyduck:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 23, 2011

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don't really have a problem with the new design, since it's not even really that different. I know the look has changed over time. I'm just saying, the sleek armored look feels like kind of a trendy thing going off the recent Batman and Iron Man films, and seems as doomed to me as any trendy redesign of a classic superhero. I don't hate it, I just doubt it will last.

I'm reminded of that fancy new Spider-Man costume in the 90's with the swoopy lines and the silver cuffs. It looked fine, but it didn't last long. Certain things you just can't gently caress with. Like the man says, don't tug on Superman's cape.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Which makes the Supergirl outfit even more loving ridiculous, "Better have armor on my upper body, but nothing at all will ever happen to my thighs." If she's nigh invulnerable then whatever outfit she wears you can just chalk up to the character's sense of style, but if you are going to go out of your way to say that the outfit serves a protective function, then you need to design it so that it makes some sort of sense.

She mentions that she shouldnt have been wearing her outfit before graduation--so maybe hers isnt battle armor, but then why would it look like Superman's outfit so much? Oh well. Maybe Kryptonians just get armors for graduations.

Sleepless Dreamer
Jun 5, 2008

it's my calling to tell nerd :roboluv:ers how to :roboluv: properly
Graduation from what is what I wonder...

I mean, I love the issue, probably one of my favorites, but the bottom part of the costume is a bit lacking.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bob Quixote posted:

Even back then it doesn't look like the modern costume that we've come to know:

His boots were originally kinda of odd and space-age looking, his logo was small and looked like a cops badge and he lacked the yellow belt.

I'm always up for changing the status quo in costumes provided that we get an interesting look out of it. I admit that I don't really care for the modern "kryptonian battle armor" suit, its too busy but I'm a big fan of ditching the red undies and going for a sleeker and more simple look. I'd also be in favor of losing the symbol on the back of the cape, it looks out of place and asymmetrical.

You squint, and it looks kind of like armor. And I find it weird I never noticed the design on classic Supes boots before.

Body armor seems to be the in thing. I think it helps make things more "believable". Tights might look like they would tear easily, but armor looks like it can stand up to the levels of punishment a super hero would endure. Makes them look like soldiers.

Those aren't my personal feelings, but I understand the thinking behind the design choices.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My friend suggested I check out some Supes trades since I like Action Comics and Superboy's reboots so much.

He suggested What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and All Star Superman.

I don't like either one. They're so cheesy and hokey and I don't get the appeal. Maybe this is because I grew up on Marvel, but I just can't get behind superheroes being taken down by toy robots.

Clark Kent's identity is exposed when a bunch of toy superman dolls come alive and blast him. It's such an utterly ridiculous and stupid thing in my opinion, and it's hard for me to take seriously.

I just don't the appeal of fighting enemies called Brainiac and giant robots and aliens. I guess it depends on the context, but in this case it feels like giant orgy of randomness.

Is post-Crisis Superman better?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

My friend suggested I check out some Supes trades since I like Action Comics and Superboy's reboots so much.

I don't like either one. They're so cheesy and hokey and I don't get the appeal. Maybe this is because I grew up on Marvel, but I just can't get behind superheroes being taken down by toy robots.

Clark Kent's identity is exposed when a bunch of toy superman dolls come alive and blast him. It's such an utterly ridiculous and stupid thing in my opinion, and it's hard for me to take seriously.

I just don't the appeal of fighting enemies called Brainiac and giant robots and aliens. I guess it depends on the context, but in this case it feels like giant orgy of randomness.

The thing about Whatever Happened is that it is the ending to a specific era. You can't look at it just outside of that own era, but as the ending to one. Things like the toy superman dolls were a part of that era. It's the goodbye story to a long-running version of Superman that brings together everything that made up that era.

All-Star Superman, at least to me, is best looked at like a mythological story. Don't go into it expecting reality. Look at it like you would any other mythology. I mean, it is literally Superman doing his own version of Hercules' labors. You don't look at it expecting realism and plausibility, you look at it expecting something else.

You may like post-Crisis Superman better but things like Braniac are still around, just in different forms.

What I would recommend you look into if you didn't like those is a Superman story called Superman: Secret Identity. It's a lot more down to Earth and may be more to your taste.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2011

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Himuro posted:

If you don't like All Star Superman then I don't know what to tell you because I give no fucks about any Superman comics whatsoever with the exception of rear end which is one of the best comics I'm ever likely to read.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Superman: What's so Funny About Truth Justice And The American Way?, Superman: Red Son, and my favorite For The Man Who Has Everything are all excellent reads as well.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Himuro posted:

Did you read all of All Star? I personally think that the 10th issue is far and away the best in the series and works well even as a stand alone. If you didn't make it that far, then go skip ahead to it. It's a love-letter to Superman done as Superman doing a love-letter to humanity. It's beautiful. (this is the well known "Superman stops a teenager from jumping off a building and gives her a hug and reassurance issue").

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I read more of All Star Superman and I guess I was being too hard on it. I love Morrison so I don't know why I doubted him. I still can't get into What Happened, but Allstar Superman is a very personal, down to Earth, story involving Supes. I'm all about personal drama when it comes to comics. That and adventure. So this comic has been working for me on many levels.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

One to add to the media pile: It's Superman! by Tom de Haven, found here.

It is set in the 30's, features a Superman still growing into his powers amidst the Depression. It has Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, giant robots, and a closing passage that might just up and kick All-Star Superman's rear end when it comes to making me sentimental for the character.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Based on, not directly copied. Most of those guys were either wearing just the trunks or a single-piece unitard thing, and Superman's take on it is as original as it gets without literally inventing a new idea from scratch. It's iconic because it's the unique, immediately reconizable, archetypal look of the character that fathered the entire superhero genre. What do most people first think of when they think of superheroes? Dude in a skintight bodysuit, trunks on the outside and a cape, a.k.a. Superman.

How could someone say that what the premiere superhero has worn, with rare and short-lived exceptions, for over three quarters of a century isn't iconic? :psyduck:

I didn't mean to imply that the character of Superman isn't iconic or that the basics of his costume aren't instantly recognizable, but rather that the details of his costume have changed over and over again through the decades and that the version we know today wasn't the original conception of the costume. I was mostly trying to make an argument in favor of allowing changes to take place -- who knows, maybe in a few decades people will look back on any version of Superman with the red shorts as an aberration and not the iconic model they grew up with, the same as we view his old chest symbol today.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I really liked Superman #1. Anyone else read it? The changes to the Daily Planet's structure and Lois and Clark's relationship have a lot of potential.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Himuro posted:

I really liked Superman #1. Anyone else read it? The changes to the Daily Planet's structure and Lois and Clark's relationship have a lot of potential.

I loved it. It was a swell symbiosis of new and old, as well as an informative introduction. There's a potential arc in place, but that didn't get in the way of a complete story on its own. There's a lot to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Himuro posted:

The same. I love Superman and have no problem with change, but there are immutable things about the characters that you cant touch.
Superman #1 mixes up all that is mutable in a pretty cool, modern way. I'll miss their marriage, but this new status quo works well.
And the whole "Superman is sort of sullen and cynical, now!" works, because he's Superman and he's pissed that a Fox News-alike has bought the Daily Planet and restructed the business.
Somehow, its like Superman isnt pleased at the changes from his continuity so you go along with him and you understand his attitude.

• Locked thread