Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Highly suggest reading Action Comics and Superman in sequential order. The former CEO of Global was the same guy Supes got to admit his guilt in Action Comics #1

Really enjoy how the two compliment each other and it's no wonder Superman felt betrayed by this buyout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I was worried about Superman coming out today, but I really liked it.

While not the most exciting book, I think it does a fantastic job of giving people a picture of Superman and the role that he plays "today" in the city of Metropolis. In that regard, it didn't feel like Superman was even the focus, the focus of the book was totally Metropolis. It was an interesting perspective that I enjoyed. There are certainly elements (more on the Clark side of things) that show some connections with Action Comics.

I think the story was paced really well, and while the cover has made me cringe since I first saw it, the art in the book is so much better, and the new costume really isn't all that bad.

I know some people have moaned about the "Stormwatch" connection, but it isn't like you need to read one book to understand the other, it just points that there s a connection.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Superman #1 felt... really bland to me. Not necessarily boring, it was interesting, but it felt kind of by-the-numbers. The stuff about the Daily Planet being bought up was more interesting than Unexplained Fire Monster Thing, most of the issue was just a pretty by the numbers Superman VS Monster Thing fight. They dropped some little bits of stuff that could go somewhere in the dialogue, but didn't end the issue with any really great mystery or teaser to make me excited about those.

And the horn thing thrown in the middle for seemingly no reason other than to link to some other comic was not the best idea.

It wasn't bad, though. But for now, I think I'll just stick to Action Comics.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I think what shocked me the most about Superman #1 was how long of a read it was. Perez really packed the dialogue in, but it never felt overly wordy. The art was a lot better than I expected when I first saw the pencilled previews, and the layouts were fantastic it felt like it had twice as many pages as it did. I can't say I prefer it to Action, and I still hated those last couple pages in Lois' apartment building, but it's a far cry from the dysmal mess I expected it to be. I think I'll be sticking with it for a little bit.

Edit: Another thing I really enjoyed was how many supporting characters there were. My first exposure to Superman was during the death/return, and something I really enjoyed from that era were all the ancilliary characters floating around the Planet. This feels like a bit of a return to that, and I enjoy the hell out of it. It also makes the idea that Clark Kent can be a big shot while at the same time just being another cog in the wheel who people don't notice too much. My only hope as far as the future goes is Lois doesn't spend every issue in that tv control room, I like her a lot more when she's right where the action is, even though that trope has been done to death.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 29, 2011

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Did anyone else think it was odd that Superman's response to a clearly sentient alien was to kill it?

The Fire creature points at him and says Krypton, but he makes no real attempt to communicate. It seems out of character, or rather a big change in character after the reboot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Clark Kent is a terrible writer. No wonder the Planet was bought out.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
"A Tower of Babel of indecipherably."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Illvillainy posted:

"A Tower of Babel of indecipherably."
I wanted to smack that line.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Newsarama is saying that George Perez is off of Superman with #7 and is being replaced by Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens.

They give absolutely no source.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The way this is going, Giffen and Jurgens are gonna be writing every DC ongoing forever and ever.

I'd be mostly fine with that.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
So why did Stormwatch want me to read Superman #1? I'm not going to because I can't work it into my budget, and Action and Superboy are two Super-titles I wasn't planning on getting in the first place that I now am. (I just can't quit Conner.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

So why did Stormwatch want me to read Superman #1? I'm not going to because I can't work it into my budget, and Action and Superboy are two Super-titles I wasn't planning on getting in the first place that I now am. (I just can't quit Conner.)

There's a page featuring a mysterious alien creature blowing the horn before dropping it and teleporting away. I think that this is supposed to be what summons the fire creature to Metropolis in the same issue, but I don't believe the connection is made particularly clear.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
All that happens in Superman as relating to Stormwatch is Zoidberg blows the horn of Ragnarok on top of Mt. Everest which makes the moon horny. Pun possibly intended.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Haha that's awesome, spacejung. Thanks for the info, guys! 52 is too many for one man alone to read.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, other sites are reporting that Perez is off of Superman. I kinda wish they'd gotten another team apart from Giffen and Jurgens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Goon posted:

Yeah, other sites are reporting that Perez is off of Superman. I kinda wish they'd gotten another team apart from Giffen and Jurgens.
Do they source it or are they just re-reporting Newsarama?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

The Goon posted:

I'd be happy to have JLI Giffen on his own.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Action Comics (and others) previewed

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Why oh why can't Rags Morales draw two eyes that both look in the same direction?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nice to know Action Comics will continue to be fantastic.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Action Comics 2 is fantastic indeed. I wish the next Superman movie looked like this--its a handy blueprint anyways. Previous Superman characters are fitted in seemlessly, lots of action and still, a believable, brash young man of steel.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I am absolutely blown away by what I'm reading. Action is so fresh and vibrant even when Superman is at his most limited, I can't wait to see what Morrison has up his sleeve once he's at full strength. The use of his heat vision like a whip was ingenious, and seemed like something that should have been done years ago but never was.

As I said in the DC thread, I was originally a bit bummed that the story page count for Action #2 was lower than before, but those extras with Morrison and Morales explaining all of the elements to the book were genuinely awesome to read about. I love that Luthor is written to be the embodiment of the shittiest traits of humanity, which are (according to Morrison) "constantly talking crap and drinking energy drinks".

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Morrison writes a great funny Luthor. And I like that the idea of Teetotal was partially inspired by Twin Peaks's Man From Another Place.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Why does Morales draw Lois like she's a fat chick :(

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Hot drat, is that Brainiac at the end there? Hints of Metallo too. And John Irons, who is always awesome.

I'm even to the point I like Casual Fridays Superman more than the armored version. This comic is drat cool.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really care for Action #1 but boy am I glad I stuck around for #2! Was that a dead Krypto in the case?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looked more like a Super Goat to me. :ohdear:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Looked like it had six legs to me.

Definitely wasn't Krypto though... I hope...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It reminded me of something Roman Dirge would have drawn. It was vaguely dog-shaped and in a space suit, so I thought of Krypto, especially after the treatment the poor thing got in Project Superman.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Magic Love Hose posted:

Hot drat, is that Brainiac at the end there? Hints of Metallo too. And John Irons, who is always awesome.

I think all of these things are true. Look at the markings on the ship. Its that triangle thing Braniac has.

I don't want Morrison to stop writing Superman. Ever.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought they were showing Superman the Chupacabra, in a "hey we have this other unexplained thing, too!" sort of way. :confused:

Also Superman #1 was horrible, Action #1 and #2 are loving terrific.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rand alPaul posted:

I thought they were showing Superman the Chupacabra, in a "hey we have this other unexplained thing, too!" sort of way. :confused:

Also Superman #1 was horrible, Action #1 and #2 are loving terrific.

Honestly, I didn't find Superman to be half as terrible as everyone assumed it would be. Mopey Clark at the end was bad, but other than that it was okay.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I liked Action, but I just did not dig Morales' art. It looked rushed and lovely, at least to me. If the rumors are true that he's getting replaced because he's faking behind then I won't shed any tears

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The Goon posted:

I liked Action, but I just did not dig Morales' art. It looked rushed and lovely, at least to me. If the rumors are true that he's getting replaced because he's faking behind then I won't shed any tears

I'm just going to throw this suggestion out there: Cameron Stewart.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Stewart would be amazing. I agree, Action Comics is great but Morales really does seem to be holding it back.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, I didn't find Superman to be half as terrible as everyone assumed it would be. Mopey Clark at the end was bad, but other than that it was okay.

I think I just like the young, arrogant Superman a lot more. I'm going to be bummed when he turns into Mopey Clark.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I loved Superman. I don't see why it's so horrible :(

Rand alPaul posted:

I think I just like the young, arrogant Superman a lot more. I'm going to be bummed when he turns into Mopey Clark.

But even Clark isn't mopey in Superman #1. He's still idealistic and cocky as far as I can tell.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Himuro posted:

But even Clark isn't mopey in Superman #1. He's still idealistic and cocky as far as I can tell.

Yeah he's only mopey because Lois isn't interested in him. He's very natural in Supes mode. Which is an interesting change from how writers usually approach him: Clark is who he is, Superman is what he does. Here it seems like being Superman is when he feels the most comfortable.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I'm not the first to say so but the depictions of Lois Lane in AC #2 are quite perplexing to say the least. Especially upon re-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
My dream artist would be Chris Sprouse, but there's no way in hell he'd keep a deadline. He'd be perfect for Action Comics, though.

I like Rags. Yes, his art's got the occasional hiccup in it, but I like how his artwork evokes the feeling of a semi-normal world that got Superman chucked into it and hasn't fully assimilated him yet.

• Locked thread