Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

Can Superman be wrong, and still be Superman?

A lot of people are telling me that no, Superman can't really be in the wrong on something, and that his moral instincts are too sharp. To them, "there is a right and a wrong in the universe and that distinction is not very difficult to make." And moreover, that if Superman ever WAS wrong - even subjectively - it'd be ruinous to the character.

They cite "Grounded." I admit that Grounded - the JMS half, I like the Chris Roberson half a lot - is a convincing argument for How Not To Do Something.

But I fall into the camp of "he can be wrong and, for the sake of drama, sometimes he should be wrong." To me, Superman's moral strength comes not from him always knowing what the right thing is, but from him always making the effort to find out. To me, it's more interesting if he puts a lot of effort into understanding moral dilemmas and resolving them. If he's right, it's because he's thought about something for a long time, probably while walking on the ocean floor or in a slow orbit around the Moon. If he's wrong, then he's a big enough man to admit it and works to make things right. If he just knows, with no real effort, then the drama is lessened. Not eliminated, but it takes a hit.

What do you all think?
I think the drama inherent to Superman is that he's this guy with varying levels of Godlike powers, he genuinely wants to do the right thing, but he doesn't necessarily know what the right thing always means. That's why Hyperion, Red Son Superman, and the animated Justice Lord Superman are so appealing. Superman could, out of meaning well, just become a dictator and tell people what to do. Those what-if stories are reminder of the temptation that the "real" Superman always faces.

So, yes, he can be wrong. A good example, as cited, is the Justice League Unlimited arc where Superman and the rest of the League do increasingly questionable things until Superman reaches the same exact point where the Justice League Superman decided to become a dictator. In the end, Superman does not make that choice. That's the important thing. He can make mistakes, but not big ones where he has actively done anything to ruin people's trust in him. His goal to help people, preserve life, and fight for justice is not compromised.

Another, more controversial example, is in the 80s when he executed Zod and the other Phantom Zone escapees. It was an interesting case of actually putting Superman in a situation where Superman's mix of powers and pacifism just wouldn't save the day. It also put Superman in a situation where he did something that he deeply regretted, couldn't fix, and learned from. It's in this story where I understand where your friends are coming from. The idea of Superman being wrong, actively killing people, and still being Superman seems weird. Still, I do appreciate the pathos of the story. I don't think it really compromises the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread