Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«120 »
E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

I usually never get a feeling of when it comes to the violence in comic books nowadays, but having the first issue of Detective end with Joker's face being cut off and nailed to a wall??? Jesus Christ, I can't imagine how many kids that's going to give nightmares to.

I know that comics aren't primarily marketed to kids but God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

Batman is kind of notoriously gory compared to the rest of the DC mainstays, but I'm pretty sure everyone was at that ending.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

DC has put out a promo blurb from Morrison for Leviathan Strikes, and it seemingly explains the cause of the cancellation/delay of issues 9 and 10: the script and art have apparently been altered to fit the New 52 status quo, with Stephanie Brown now Spoiler rather than Batgirl.

quote:

“The long-awaited conclusion to season 1 of BATMAN INCORPORATED is here at last!” said Morrison. “For months, Batman and his allies have fought a shadow campaign against the deadly legions of the mysterious Leviathan, but now it’s time for all-out war – a war which Batman may not be able to win. Schoolgirl assassins! Bat-robots! Nazi masterminds with Alzheimer’s! Guest stars galore! Batman and Spoiler team to face the School of Night while Batman Incorporated travels to a sinister Cold War interrogation facility to face the mind-bending menace of Doctor Dedalus for the last time while the true identity of Leviathan is finally revealed, with shocking consequences for the Dark Knight. With incredible artwork from Cameron Stewart (BATMAN AND ROBIN MUST DIE) and Chris Burnham (BATMAN INC.), LEVIATHAN STRIKES! rounds out season 1 and is also the prologue to 2012’s BATMAN: LEVIATHAN – the epic, tragic, final act of a story six years long.”

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2011 around 21:37

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

edit: beaten

If this is supposed to still take place during the time frame of Batgirl #22, does that mean Steph's time as Batgirl has been retconned, and she was Spoiler the whole time or something? Or is this just going to be presented as a totally new adventure that has nothing to do with what was previously teased?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!

Barry Convex posted:

DC has put out a promo blurb from Morrison for Leviathan Strikes, and it seemingly explains the cause of the cancellation/delay of issues 9 and 10: the script and art have apparently been altered to fit the New 52 status quo, with Stephanie Brown now Spoiler rather than Batgirl.
But...but...9 would have taken place before the reboot.....:mind explodes:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barry Convex posted:

I think you're off-base here. I'm 90% sure that the Spoiler change is a consequence of Burnham not being able to get it done in time for an August release, and not the other way around.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

FoneBone posted:

I think you're off-base here. I'm 90% sure that the Spoiler change is a consequence of Burnham not being able to get it done in time for an August release, and not the other way around.

It was Cameron Stewart doing the art on the Steph issue, though, and he'd stated that he was finished with it months and months ago (the book was supposed to come out in what, June?). So I'm pretty sure they did in fact delay it to change Steph from Batgirl to Spoiler.

Evil Sagan
Jan 22, 2011

Prepare to be reduced to star stuff.

Guess I better pick up Batman Incorporated so I'll know what the hell is going on.

And also because I hear Batman Incorporated is loving awesome.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

ME BOSS
YOU NOT

I wonder if they'll change the Batman art to reflect the costume change too. It's too bad, I really liked the Inc. costume and the new one is just really generic and boring.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

I'm wondering if they'll leave Steph in her current Batgirl costume but everyone will just refer to her as Spoiler instead?

Flameingblack
May 11, 2011

The world is a mess
And I am the one
Who will rebuild it

E the Shaggy posted:

I'm wondering if they'll leave Steph in her current Batgirl costume but everyone will just refer to her as Spoiler instead?
I wish they would just give her a hood instead of bat ears, because I like hoods. Stephanie's costume grew on me, too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

The most interesting plant in the world

Evil Sagan posted:

Guess I better pick up Batman Incorporated so I'll know what the hell is going on.

And also because I hear Batman Incorporated is loving awesome.

I feel like this should come with a disclaimer. If you are going to read it through backissues, skip the last one. It blows. If you are reading it in trades. Don't read the last story. It blows.

Blind Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Madkal posted:

I feel like this should come with a disclaimer. If you are going to read it through backissues, skip the last one. It blows. If you are reading it in trades. Don't read the last story. It blows.

Yeah, every issues was pretty awesome except for the last one. Do this. Seriously.

feldmann
Mar 30, 2011

I can't find a picture of it online anywhere but did anyone else notice in Batman and Robin #1 on the first panel in the swimming pool, where the swimming coach is blowing the whistle, there is some sort of person in a cloak glowing red off to the right? What is this all about?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!

feldmann posted:

I can't find a picture of it online anywhere but did anyone else notice in Batman and Robin #1 on the first panel in the swimming pool, where the swimming coach is blowing the whistle, there is some sort of person in a cloak glowing red off to the right? What is this all about?
Well you see, she gets around.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Everything's coming up Paz!

I'm getting a real "Sting in the rafters" vibe from this.

whatsabattle
Feb 23, 2008

In this temple, I am Dr. Yahweh.

redbackground posted:

Well you see, she gets around.

You missed a couple.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!

whatsabattle posted:

You missed a couple.
Best part was this message Sims received about that article:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

feldmann posted:

What is this all about?

My guess is that she's either Barry's mom or whoever is merged with the White Lantern Entity.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone think that the storylines in this month's Nightwing and Batman are connected?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

The most interesting plant in the world

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My guess is that she's either Barry's mom or whoever is merged with the White Lantern Entity.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone think that the storylines in this month's Nightwing and Batman are connected?

I haven't read Nightwing but I hope not. I am hoping that for at least the first six issues they keep the titles seperate.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think they probably are, at least it definitely seems like they could be.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

I just hope the Batman plot doesn't turn into the hackneyed Bruce Thinks Ally Did Something Wrong Ally claims Otherwise Bruce Doesn't Believe Them Until It's Revealed They Did Nothing Wrong and Now Ally is Pissed At Bruce And Leaving Forever

in other news, Damian wearing sneakers with his suit? Precious.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

necessary voodoo posted:

I just hope the Batman plot doesn't turn into the hackneyed Bruce Thinks Ally Did Something Wrong Ally claims Otherwise Bruce Doesn't Believe Them Until It's Revealed They Did Nothing Wrong and Now Ally is Pissed At Bruce And Leaving Forever

I think it'll be more likely that Bruce will call Dick into the cave, show it to him and say "Ok, so obviously you didn't do it." And Damian will say "I'm keeping an open mind." or somesuch.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Dug Batman. Its nice to see some of the newish villains sticking around, Flamingo, Pyg and the Circus, and James Gordon too.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think it'll be more likely that Bruce will call Dick into the cave, show it to him and say "Ok, so obviously you didn't do it." And Damian will say "I'm keeping an open mind." or somesuch.

Yeah, probably closer to this. Batman is too smart to think Dick actually did something like this after everything that's happened. They'll have to figure out who has been around Dick enough to get the DNA samples and go from there with the mystery.

Also, I wish Damian was resigned to just being in Batman and Robin instead of getting into my good Batman series. Smug little bastard needs to go away.

Flynn Taggart
Jan 20, 2006

As a new reader I am a little upset that any Robin was in this at all but it was still a pretty good book. Upon reflection, Detective Comics was probably better, though I didn't think so at first.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Flynn Taggart posted:

As a new reader I am a little upset that any Robin was in this at all

Why?

quote:

Upon reflection, Detective Comics was probably better, though I didn't think so at first.

You were right before you were so so wrong.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

LCQC posted:

Why?

Probably because most non-comic readers only have exposure to Robin in either the 60's show or the lovely movies. Not a ton of the animated series had Robin (but when he was there, Dick was loving AWESOME)

I find that in general, Robin is disliked by people not familiar with the character. I always find that kind of bizarre, as I grew up with Robin in the comics, and he's always been straight badass.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

thetrin posted:

Probably because most non-comic readers only have exposure to Robin in either the 60's show or the lovely movies. Not a ton of the animated series had Robin (but when he was there, Dick was loving AWESOME)

I could understand if it wasn't just one scene that established the status quo. Its Batman it should be about Bats working mostly alone, but the Robins exist

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

My problem is mostly Damian in general. The other Robins are awesome, and Dick Grayson is badass. Batman is a huge franchise, so there should definitely be Robin, Huntress, etc. in there at some point, though some could argue about getting into side characters in the very first issue. Didn't see a problem with the Robins on the whole, though, and the whole thing with Joker actually being Dick being in disguise was an awesome moment.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

oh blah blah irrelevant now.

Shedding a single tear for one more person who dislikes Damian. I know he is an acquired taste and sometimes he has terrible writers but I do enjoy him quite a bit, personally.

necessary voodoo fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2011 around 07:43

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

LCQC posted:

I could understand if it wasn't just one scene that established the status quo. Its Batman it should be about Bats working mostly alone, but the Robins exist

I always feel like in the comics, the comic just gels with me far more when he plays off Robin. The one exception being Legends of the Dark Knight.

Axel Serenity posted:

My problem is mostly Damian in general. The other Robins are awesome, and Dick Grayson is badass. Batman is a huge franchise, so there should definitely be Robin, Huntress, etc. in there at some point, though some could argue about getting into side characters in the very first issue. Didn't see a problem with the Robins on the whole, though, and the whole thing with Joker actually being Dick being in disguise was an awesome moment.

Whoa, what?!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

'sup?

thetrin posted:

I always feel like in the comics, the comic just gels with me far more when he plays off Robin. The one exception being Legends of the Dark Knight.

Whoa, what?!

I can't tell if you've read the issue by your last couple posts, but Dick is wearing a holographic facemask of the Joker to infiltrate Arkham and gather information for Bruce.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Soonmot posted:

I can't tell if you've read the issue by your last couple posts, but Dick is wearing a holographic facemask of the Joker to infiltrate Arkham and gather information for Bruce.

Yeah, I thought since we were already talking about the ending of the issue, that was fine. Should I spoiler those kinds of posts? Relatively new to BSS here.

In any case, that moment was when I knew I would love the issue. I think I said "Holy poo poo" out loud to myself when that happened and had a big grin on my face the rest of the issue. The "one-step-ahead-detective-mastermind" thing finally came together with the banner issue and felt like a Batman comic more than any of the other offshoot titles I've read so far.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, I thought since we were already talking about the ending of the issue, that was fine. Should I spoiler those kinds of posts? Relatively new to BSS here.

In any case, that moment was when I knew I would love the issue. I think I said "Holy poo poo" out loud to myself when that happened and had a big grin on my face the rest of the issue. The "one-step-ahead-detective-mastermind" thing finally came together with the banner issue and felt like a Batman comic more than any of the other offshoot titles I've read so far.

I haven't read it, but you don't have to spoiler it for me. I wasn't going to read the issue anyway. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I have no real interest in any of the mainline characters for this relaunch. That does sound awesome, though. If anything, it has me interested enough to borrow the issue from my roommate.

So really, by spoiling me, you're getting me to read the issue. Everyone wins!

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Coming from someone with basically no DC experience outside of movies and Batman TAS, I really liked Batman #1. I really liked the first fight scene, especially the whole "Joker" team up. Even if it lasted a few pages, and the reveal that it was Dick was pretty smart, I enjoyed the thought of Joker and Bats teaming up for a "well, why the gently caress not" moment.

Edit: also that one panel with "behind you" / "got it" and Joker Dick's doing this weirdo upside-down kick is just brilliant.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2011 around 16:12

Was Taters
Jul 29, 2004

This is it.
Batman and Robin.
Together again
for the first time.

LOVED Batman #1. I enjoy Snyder's style so much. Capullo's art is great but flawed, if that makes sense. All the Batmales AND that Lincoln March guy are clones. Red sneakers aren't enough, Greg.

Evil Sagan
Jan 22, 2011

Prepare to be reduced to star stuff.

Bruce Wayne looked really young to me, for some reason. It's not a big deal, but at first I thought maybe I was confusing him with one of the Robins.

At first glance of the caption of him shaking hands with Lincoln, I thought Wayne was Lincoln and Lincoln was Wayne.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Batman #1 was decent, but I don't think I'm going to get the next issue. It just seemed like Batman being Batman, a real status quo book. You have the kind of Bruce Wayne at a party scene that we've all seen a hundred times by now, the Bats interacting with the police scenes were exactly as they've always been. It just went through the motions of what we all recognize as being a Batman comic, though it was executed well above average, particularly in the art. (Though the caption boxes in this annoyed me almost as much as the ones in 'Tec. If you took them out, the book would still read coherently.) I guess I just no longer have any desire to read something this generic just because it's better than the other things done in the same vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 29, 2004

This is it.
Batman and Robin.
Together again
for the first time.

It's better than that Morrison crap.

«120 »