Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

All of the extended Bat family returns

Oh no it doesn't.

tomm posted:

I thought the new Detective Comics was great

This might not be the thread for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Dug Batman. Its nice to see some of the newish villains sticking around, Flamingo, Pyg and the Circus, and James Gordon too.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Flynn Taggart posted:

As a new reader I am a little upset that any Robin was in this at all

Why?

quote:

Upon reflection, Detective Comics was probably better, though I didn't think so at first.

You were right before you were so so wrong.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

thetrin posted:

Probably because most non-comic readers only have exposure to Robin in either the 60's show or the lovely movies. Not a ton of the animated series had Robin (but when he was there, Dick was loving AWESOME)

I could understand if it wasn't just one scene that established the status quo. Its Batman it should be about Bats working mostly alone, but the Robins exist

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, but the scene I am complaining about had him fighting Mr. Freeze(in suit), Killer Croc, and loving Clayface at the same time. And he just kicks Clayface, as if it's an effective thing to do to living clay that has not been properly kiln-fired.

It just rubbed me the wrong way. It reminded me of a picture(which I tried to find, but failed) in Superman: Our Worlds at War; where every available character could suddenly fly and fight in space because they wanted to draw a "cool" picture.(And is why that was the first and last Superman story I ever read)

I know it's what the comic medium is like, but it's just the kind of thing I really hate. I can go with the flow, and enjoy things, but there's a point where Indy just starts jumping into refrigerators no matter what the situation, and he's saved. And that's what I feel a holographic mask is.

Now, if that scene stays as just a pointless opener, and doesn't actually change any important plot points, then I'll be happy next month; because the rest of the comic was fine.

Comics Alliance really hit the nail on the head in pointing out that the scene exists to show us that Bats is at the top of his game. So what we're going to see is really a escalation of anti-bat activity past the typical and cutting into his life as Bruce Wayne. Snyder is a drat fine writer, series is gonna be great. My feeling is the masks are going to play a role in the story, as well as setting up that piece.

Also go read Action #1, jeez.

VVV It was good you just said you didn't read any Superman.

LCQC fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2011 around 08:38

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

issues Jock drew

Tell me more.

e: nevermind, 'Tec 861-3

LCQC fucked around with this message at Sep 27, 2011 around 01:13

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Before anybody writes anything concerning Batman, they should have to submit a list of all characters they plan to include, and before forced to watch TAS episodes featuring them with the instructions: "This. This. This. This is what you are aiming for. You are making an episode for this show, except it is to air at 11:00 PM on cable instead of 4:30 PM on network television."

Anyone writing anything related to Batman that is not all out super-powered JLA, or is writing a new characters must watch 5 random episodes before they are allowed to write.

Uh, none of this will make Tony Daniel of David Finch good writers.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

JBrowning82 posted:

I will check that out. Any graphic novel recommendations would be appreciated as well. I believe I've already read The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-.../dp/140123206X/
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Incorp...4/ref=pd_sim_b1

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

So what you're suggesting, basically is...21 Jump Street: Gotham City?

If BQM was on it I'd be all over that.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

In preview images for Vol.2 I think he was wearing the N52 one.

e: yup
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/0...an-incorporated

Ugh.

B&R is a more apt comparison to TBM than Inc., and they work well as companion pieces imo. Good night sweet prince Dickbats.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of what in the Batman universe is worth picking up? I'm perusing a lot of the New 52 and I've always loved Batman and am really enjoying the main arc from the Court of Owls Tradebook through the first two issues of BATMAN, and now that there's a loving teaser in Batman #9 to go read Detective Comics to find out what I missed (drat you, DC!) I am wanting to expand a bit more into the other Batman books...but in perusing this thread I'm seeing some derision regarding some of the other Bat's books so I'm a little hesitant to go hogwild with more DC hardcovers or whatever.

Basically Free Comic Book Day has hooked me back into comics and I'm trying really hard not to buy 1-9 of every loving New 52 that has come out, so help a brutha out here.

Just Batman and (maybe) Batwoman, really. If you haven't already go back and pick up the Black Mirror, which came out just before the reboot.

e: oh yeah, Bat Inc comes back soon, have a look into that.

LCQC fucked around with this message at May 13, 2012 around 06:44

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Batwing is also BUY THIS , its fine, but it ain't BUY THIS .

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Looking good. I'll miss Cameron Stewart but oh well.

Also can't help but crack a grin and Damian's implausible economics training.

Stewart was only on the Batgirl (R.I.P.) issue, Burnham and Paquette split the rest.

Except for #8, obviously,

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

I just don't get why he snapped the guys finger off. That kind of sadism requires an emotional attachment to mooks that I don't buy. He's obsessed, these guys are just obstacles for him, Bats is the same, hes not going to lose his cool on some minions.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Denim Avenger posted:

Didn't he need that finger to open a vault with his suit in it? Seemed perfectly Freeze like, it was the most expedient way to achieve his goal.

Ah yeah, I totally missed that.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Ok, you sold me with the bataranged dude.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Revol posted:

My one complain: why the hell does Cloonan get the only artist credit on the cover? Andy Clarke did the last six pages. Which.. is a very strange transition, but I love both artists, so I can still dig it.

Tynion wrote the back-up and didnt get front page billing either, such is life in comics.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

They should've credited four people.

Oh yeah, I agree, if that wasn't clear.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

Are we really expected to believe that after Wayne outs himself as Batman's financial backer, no one makes the connection between Batman's cadre of sidekicks and Wayne's cadre of male wards (one of whom is a former acrobat)?

Yes. The DC public is a little savvier than than the Marvel populace, but the answer to your questions is: Batman is fiction.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I don't understand the hate a lot of people have for Simone's Batgirl. I came to the title with no previous reading and I haven't really read that many comics so maybe there's something I'm missing. What was it that so many people hated about her run?

Adding to all the other complaints, it was a sharp turn in tone and quality from the Batgirl series it replaced. It wasn't fun seeing someone fresh and talented bundled off to write Smallville comics of all things, in favour of Simone.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Certified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

FMguru posted:

* Sometimes there are lingering effects, like the way the bat-universe now has five Robins and three Batgirls in continuity.

Uh, pretty sure we have two ex-robins, a dead robin, a red robin and a single batgirl.