Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott Coker was in the Last Dragon? My opinion of the man may be changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

These seem like reasonable matchups?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Dangersim posted:

These seem like reasonable matchups?

Fd please change users name to sherdogism

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Fd please change users name to sherdogism

I hate sherdog as much as the next guy, but I didnt really see anything outrageous in that article

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah sorry but I don't see anything outrageous about those matchups.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Those matchups seem fine to me too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1st AD posted:

Speaking of Sherdog, one of their hosts on their post-UFC radio show complained about Jonathan Brookins' dreadlocks because he hates it when white guys try to co-opt Jamaican culture.

hahahahaha. I wonder if that guy also edited Brookins' nickname on Wikipedia to be "The White Coon."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

I get the feeling someone might have slipped him a little extra for this article. It reads more like a press release than any kind of actual journalism.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

I get the feeling someone might have slipped him a little extra for this article. It reads more like a press release than any kind of actual journalism.

quote:

Shamrock, who provides commentary for Strikeforce’s championship series, and Miletich, who does likewise for Strikeforce’s Challengers series for up-and-coming fighters, can usually predict the fighter’s next move, seconds before he or she does it.

my favorite part

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Come one guys, Frank is strangely prescient when it comes to predicting that fighters working off their backs will go for a leg over head choke.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Let's face it. Strikeforce is just cool.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

gunblade posted:

it's true, just look at the footage of the coolass dudes who attended overeem vs rogers in hit internet comedy series "the reem"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

gunblade posted:

Coolness Factor

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
Frank shamrock, MMA moves guru

Frank Shamrock, at the strikeforce event two weeks ago - "Hey Pat, uh, can you, uh, knee someone in the stomach while they're on the ground?"

Pat Miletich, able to predict moves SECONDS before they happen- "I think so."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ASL NIGGA posted:

Frank Shamrock, at the strikeforce event two weeks ago - "Hey Pat, uh, can you, uh, knee someone in the stomach while they're on the ground?"

This wasn't a rules question. Frank Shamrock doesn't have knees anymore and was curious if Pat could do something he'll never be able to do again. Pat Miletich was somewhat confident he still could.

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
what a convoluted joke

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Much like the unified ruleset of this so-called sport.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MMA journalism is terrible but I was reminded of one of the few pieces of MMA journalism I actually like: ESPN's Pride and Glory article about the 2000 GP.

http://espn.go.com/mma/features/prideandglory It is well worth the read.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What's funny is that is actually a Sherdog feature republished on ESPN.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

What's funny is that is actually a Sherdog feature republished on ESPN.

I feel all dirty now.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MassRayPer posted:

I feel all dirty now.

Still an awesome read. I couldn't remember if Snowden or someone from Sherdog wrote it originally, but it was a great piece from a lovely site was all I remembered.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i dont know if he wrote that article but Tony Louiseleur has done quite a few worthwhile articles over the years, particularly I remember he did a lot of good scoutin on some european fighters. So there's at least 1 Sherdog writer to learn interesting things from. Also I kinda like TJ De Santis, I mean he's a dork and not a great analyst but he tapped a famous fighter like Brett Rogers or something, and that's p cool

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Sherdog Radio can be pretty good sometimes. Last night there was a long sit-down interview with Mauro Ranallo where he goes into detail about his bi-polar disorder and how that informed his broadcast style. He also came up with the worst excuse ever for his 25cm pole comment and it was funny hearing him trying to come up with a legitimate explanation for it.

A couple weeks ago they interviewed Mike Afromowitz (former Strikeforce PR dude) and that was pretty good too.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont know if he wrote that article but Tony Louiseleur has done quite a few worthwhile articles over the years, particularly I remember he did a lot of good scoutin on some european fighters. So there's at least 1 Sherdog writer to learn interesting things from.

Are you sure that was Tony Loiseleur? I think he mostly covers Japan. You might be thinking of Tim Leidecker, who does most of their Europe stuff.

(Both guys are among the better writers there IMO, not that that is saying a lot)

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

ASL NIGGA posted:

Edit: Mauro Ranallo. a feast for the ears.

I can't stop laughing at this. Mauro Ranallo himself couldn't write that without immediately blanching and hitting the backspace key furiously.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

colonel_korn posted:

Are you sure that was Tony Loiseleur? I think he mostly covers Japan. You might be thinking of Tim Leidecker, who does most of their Europe stuff.

(Both guys are among the better writers there IMO, not that that is saying a lot)

I have no idea

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ASL NIGGA posted:

The better example is when Mauro asked Shamrock why a fighter would do whatever one of the fighters was doing in the cage and Shamrock was dead silent for several seconds before Pat jumped in and explained the theory behind it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

More Arielchat: he recently interviewed Alistair Overeem and let it be known that he does not like house music, despite Alistair's attempts to sway him.

Yeah dude is a dweeb. He also complained about Larry Merchant threatening to beat up Floyd if he was 50 years younger.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

those things aren't particularly dweeby

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
He's also a *turns head, coughs out the word "Jew"* if you know what I mean.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Breen-Why-You-Care-About-Jon-Jones-3320

dont actually watch that, but jordan breen namedrops niccolo machiavelli in it

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Whoever did that fake Brett Rogers twitter account should register arieIhelwani (capital i, instead of l, it's available) and do some investigative mma journalism.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

http://www.cagepotato.com/amazing-documentary-alert-frank-dux-biography-put-up-your-dux/ Cage Potato can't even tell the difference between real fighters and fake fighters.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
http://twitter.com/!/arieIheIwani
password is bluntsandbeer

someone please ruin this

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

niethan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 21, 2011

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I missed the press conference, what happened?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZ-qB0N5yg

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

This owl. This fucking owl will not stop staring into my soul. Help.
5 Reasons MMA is Better than Boxing Right Now

I had to reread it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't accidentally on Bleacher Report. #irestmycase

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RevlisYdoc posted:

5 Reasons MMA is Better than Boxing Right Now

I had to reread it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't accidentally on Bleacher Report. #irestmycase

The phrase "More Bong Bong" will one day be a hallmark of journalistic excellence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

using twitter hashtags on anything but twitter is pretty obnoxious.

• Locked thread