Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The first thing you should do is read the LP for the PC version! It is by far the best way to tell whether or not you will like the game and is an excellent read either way. http://lparchive.org/King-of-Dragon-Pass/

A couple people mentioned that we should have a thread for this game but nobody said they were actively making one, so here you go! I'm new to King of Dragon Pass (completely missed the PC version) but I've already put several hours into the iOS version so hopefully I can provide a halfway decent OP.

What is it?
The best way I've heard it described so far is "Civilization meets Choose your own adventure." Basically you're in charge of a clan in an iron age Scandinavian fantasy world. You appoint the clan's leaders, decide how to use magic, give specific order in war, trade and diplomacy, and deal with various situations that come up. There is a ton of depth to the game and I still have a ton to learn but you can get the (very) basics down with the solid in-game tutorial.

What does it look like?

The game is mostly menu and text based, and all of the background images were handdrawn for the original game. There are a ton of screenshots in the LP I linked and the iPhone version looks basically like the PC one, but here's one from the iOS version:

How do I play it?

Again, reading the first quarter or so of the LP is probably going to be your best bet. The in game tutorial will cover the basics but not everything. The manual is actually very good and can be found here: http://a-sharp.com/kodp/ios/KoDP-Manual.pdf

I haven't actually won a game yet, but some general advice is to remember to play as if you were a member of your clan. That is to say, if your ancestors weren't slave takers (you'll get to choose this in the beginning) don't take slaves. If your ancestors didn't get along with the dragons don't try and get along with the dragons. Also, don't focus too much on raiding. I did that too much in my first game and faced some pretty harsh consequences later on. Diplomacy and trading are both very important, as is exploring.

Anyway, hopefully this is enough of an OP to get the thread started. Anyone that knows more about the game feel free to fill in all the information I missed.

Also if someone has a more clever thread title I'll change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
The PC version is a bit of a bitch to get to run on modern systems - had no idea this was coming out on iOS! Looks like it's time to buy it for the second time. :D

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mattjpwns posted:

The PC version is a bit of a bitch to get to run on modern systems - had no idea this was coming out on iOS! Looks like it's time to buy it for the second time. :D

It's really a fantastic port. It's a bit of a bother to select certain options on such a small screen but easily adjusted to.

The only thing I can't figure out to do is set patrols for my Tula. Is this just gone entirely or is it hidden somewhere? I keep getting attacked by like 200 guys where I only defend with about 50 and it sucks :(

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm pretty sure patrols are based on how many hunters you have. At least when I drastically reduced my hunters I got a warning from someone that it would be easier for attacks to sneak up on me.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I thought that they had lost the source code and that was the reason they couldn't do anything but burn more copies of the game?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Puistokemisti posted:

I thought that they had lost the source code and that was the reason they couldn't do anything but burn more copies of the game?

That's what I thought too. I wonder if there's a story around it or if it was just internet speculation.

eesau
May 6, 2009
The source code was never lost, but the software they used to make the original Windows/Mac interface for the game was discontinued in 1999 or something, and it doesn't run on modern hardware.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

eesau posted:

The source code was never lost, but the software they used to make the original Windows/Mac interface for the game was discontinued in 1999 or something, and it doesn't run on modern hardware.
I also emailed the author and

On 7/31/06, David Dunham posted:

Unfortunately, everyone's out of stock. We hope to make an electronic
version available for sale in the next few months.
Well, yeah 7/31/2006.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My dad got this game when it came out, I started talking about how hard it was to find and he dug through his huge pile of old driver and game CDs and pulled it out. Ran great on my 2008 vista laptop. I fell in love and bought the ios version immediately. I actually prefer it. Make a decision, read a little, put it down, come back later. You can stare at it for hours too.

To contribute, here's theKODP wiki. I've been using this to cheat on the heroquests, because gently caress remembering those myths. Right now I'm trying to become king of my tribe. I keep sending plagues and earthquakes to the clan of the king. My reputation is maxed out but my heroic leader died of old age, so I don't know.

Actually all my heroic ring members died somehow. I found the warrior's body frozen on a mountain, tried to recover it to resurrect with challana arroy, but it failed.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I sort of understand what I'm doing in this game now. I have a pretty long-lived clan with a very large tribe right now, and I'm king. I'm not quite sure what I have to do to make the jump to emperor but I assume it will come up in a random event or something. I wish it was possible to wipe another clan off the face of the earth. Maybe it is and I just haven't been persistent enough.

A tip: establish tons of trade routes. Use goods to pay for things instead of cows. Running out of cows is bad.

Biledriver
Oct 16, 2008

The Martians love Kuato. They think he's fuckin' George Washington.

Sankis posted:

It's really a fantastic port. It's a bit of a bother to select certain options on such a small screen but easily adjusted to.

For anyone having trouble with this, if you hold your finger down on your selection instead of just tapping, what you're going to choose will turn orange. If you accidentally press the wrong option, you can drag your finger away and try again.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

eesau posted:

That makes no sense, it's not like putting together ancient computer costs much.

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004
In the iPhone version is there a way to show how you spent your magic during the most recent Sacred Time?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Reminder that raiding for cattle is not actually raiding, rather a proud orlanthi tradition you should be keeping up even as peaceful as hell clan to keep your thanes sharp!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

var1ety posted:

In the iPhone version is there a way to show how you spent your magic during the most recent Sacred Time?

Not exactly, but your advisors will usually pipe up to tell you how much magic you spent on, like, war magic while you're in the War screen, and things like that.

I've already spent hours on this game and I can't stop playing!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I always described it as "Oregon Trail, but you've made it to Oregon, and it's already inhabited by pissed off duckfolk, and all the bison you shot on the way have risen from the dead and want revenge".

Fun as hell. Really wish there was more games like this out there.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Here's some :words: about why the PC version won't be updated. And apparently they have some sort of issue with Good Old Games and thus we won't see it on there any time soon. What a shame :sigh:

Edit: I've looked around and apparently there's a 'technical issue' for a digital download versions of the original:

quote:

The original game requires a CD. Nobody ever believes that we tried and failed to work around that. There’s only so much you can do with a development system that was discontinued in 1998.
Dunno why they can't just package it up with a CD image or even get the Good Old Games team to take a look at it.

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 10, 2011

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
Are there plans to make this universal or bring it to iPad? I don't want to pay ten dollars for a game on my phone.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

da anime bulldog posted:

Are there plans to make this universal or bring it to iPad? I don't want to pay ten dollars for a game on my phone.

I thought someone said earlier that they have no intentions to bring it to the ipad. You could jailbreak your ipad and use that app that allows you to play games with retina assets on the ipad. Or you could just pay 10 bucks for a game on your phone cause it's pretty loving awesome.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swear I had no problem running this on PC last year... Pretty sure I just downloaded it from somewhere and it worked fine.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Megadyptes posted:

Dunno why they can't just package it up with a CD image or even get the Good Old Games team to take a look at it.

I honestly do not understand why it would absolutely require a CD. Could someone more well-versed in programming than I give me a reason if they have the source code? All I can figure is that they did some weird file streaming off the disc or some madness.

As for breaking the game with a patch... I would be absolutely stunned if anyone who would get 2.0 for Windows cared. At all.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 10, 2011

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

da anime bulldog posted:

It plays fine on an iPad in 2x mode. I would dearly love to get a universal version because so many of the screens seem cramped and the extra room would be great, but that hasn't stopped me from putting 10 hours or so into it already. Mainly it's annoying on screens like Emissary when you have a bunch of sliders to deal with and there's not much room to display the lists, but it hasn't really detracted from the game in a major way for me.

I think I finally have a handle on how to do things now that I've restarted like 5 times and read the manual. I also went through the first 1/4 or so of the Let's Play but don't want to spoil myself any further. I'm sure I'll still fail, but that's part of the fun.

I posted in the other thread before this one was made about how I'd like to have more information available a lot of the time, but I've now realized that I missed a few buttons and some of it is there after all. In particular, the + in an O symbol brings up the map in a bunch of places that I somehow missed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

It plays fine on an iPad in 2x mode. I would dearly love to get a universal version because so many of the screens seem cramped and the extra room would be great, but that hasn't stopped me from putting 10 hours or so into it already. Mainly it's annoying on screens like Emissary when you have a bunch of sliders to deal with and there's not much room to display the lists, but it hasn't really detracted from the game in a major way for me.

I think I finally have a handle on how to do things now that I've restarted like 5 times and read the manual. I also went through the first 1/4 or so of the Let's Play but don't want to spoil myself any further. I'm sure I'll still fail, but that's part of the fun.

I posted in the other thread before this one was made about how I'd like to have more information available a lot of the time, but I've now realized that I missed a few buttons and some of it is there after all. In particular, the + in an O symbol brings up the map in a bunch of places that I somehow missed.

Yeah make sure you check the ring during different screens too. Like on the trading screen the ring tells you who has the most horses, goods, etc. but only when your map is displayed in that screen. It's strange, but whatever.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Man I reeeaaally wanna play it but I don't want to spend $400 on an iPhone just for this.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sidpret posted:

I thought someone said earlier that they have no intentions to bring it to the ipad. You could jailbreak your ipad and use that app that allows you to play games with retina assets on the ipad. Or you could just pay 10 bucks for a game on your phone cause it's pretty loving awesome.

It looks fine on the iPad, but what sucks is how cramped the interface is. It's not really a problem, but it would have been fantastic to get more information on fewer screens. The whole thing with the artwork not being high resolution enough for the iPad's screen is a pretty legit reason for not releasing some kind of higher priced HD version, but not a particularly good one for why they couldn't have made it universal and just scaled up the art assets.

That said, nobody who's going to play this primarily on an iPad should feel bad about blowing $10 on it. It's a loving steal at that price, scaled up and all.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

The way time passes drives me crazy sometimes. One of my advisors just warned me that I didn't have food enough for the season, then 4 consecutive events popped up, and when they stopped, my food had gone from 100 to 0 and she told me people had died. I never had a chance to do anything about it.

edit: also the food dynamics confuse me. I started having trouble so I diverted more land to crops, put as much magic into crops as I could, put someone with excellent plant knowledge on my ring, and traded with the ducks for food. Nothing helped. Is there some mechanic that I need to gently caress with or is this just bad luck?

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 10, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I loved this game. The best part was how playing as a 21st century secular humanist results in the almost immediate destruction of your clan.

There were all sort of great events. I remember you can get a sheep plague and you get four options that are all vaguely religious or ritualistic in nature, and one that boils down to immediately quarantining infected sheep and launching what amounts to an epidemiological investigation. You can do that, but it doesn't really work and everyone is upset you didn't properly honor the cattle mother. To play the game properly you have to go iron age and never look back.

The trickster god was also wonderful. Throw a worshiper on your council and you get dozens of get-out-jail-free moments that are almost entirely cancelled out by the sheer multitude of ways that rear end in a top hat gets you in trouble when you're least expecting it.

Now it's all coming back. The hero, the wars, the founding of the first city... So cool.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Has anyone tried killing the troll spider mother thing? Some spoilers about her: when I begged for mercy, she killed me - I was harboring the iron spike and I think this might have had something to do with it. Later, when I ran into her again, I told her I would never return, and she let me go.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

I honestly do not understand why it would absolutely require a CD. Could someone more well-versed in programming than I give me a reason if they have the source code? All I can figure is that they did some weird file streaming off the disc or some madness.

As for breaking the game with a patch... I would be absolutely stunned if anyone who would get 2.0 for Windows cared. At all.

The source code wouldn't be of much use. KoDP was created with a proprietary multimedia CDrom authoring package called mTroplolis which is long dead and doesn't run on modern systems (requiring a disc is probably a limitation of that software). It'd be like if it was made with Macromedia Director, if Macromedia went out of business in 1997 and was promptly forgotten, never to be acquired by Adobe.

The whole thing is kind of a red herring though, since the game has obviously been recreated to run on iOS and that code could be adapted to run on todays desktops.

I think the truth is probably that they just don't think it would be worth the effort.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I will answer my own question about food and farming. I went back about 4 years to try to manage the problem and failed. So I went back about 4 years again and tried a different strategy. Apparently what happens is over the years too many of your citizens become nobles and thanes and you end up not having enough farmers. I managed to rectify the problem by recruiting farmers a bunch of times in a row and now I'm sitting on a fat stockpile.

Once you start starving even a little you almost might as well go back a few years and load. You get into a cycle where farmers fall sick and can't bring in crops, which makes things progressively worse. It's very hard to break out of it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Shrine to Barntar with Vigor. Trade with your neighbors. Call in some favors. Recruit more farmers (click the Farmers button, it'll let you get more peeps). If you feel confident enough, heroquest.

Many clans undergo times of trouble. Some fail. Others survive and prosper.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 10, 2011

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
I've truly never had so much fun failing over and over at a game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Glimpse posted:

The whole thing is kind of a red herring though, since the game has obviously been recreated to run on iOS and that code could be adapted to run on todays desktops.

I think the truth is probably that they just don't think it would be worth the effort.
That's what gets me. They claim they can't do a new downloadable PC version because of :words: and then turn around and whip out a new version for a complete different operating system. It really does just seem to be a case of :effort: on their part. It still doesn't explain why they don't seem too keen on letting the guys at Good Old Games have a look at it. I bet them Poles would get the game up and running fine in a downloadable package in no time. Perhaps they just don't really know what GoG is all about?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
IIRC, it has come down to a long'ish recoding process and coming to terms with the iOS environ and resources. Various people have asked them for an Android port in the wake of release, and the response is pretty much "Well, it'd take roughly as much effort for our small outfit as it did to make the jump to iOS---so we'll just have to see how the iOS sales go."

I haven't seen what their technical pipeline is this time around though it'd be swell if it turned out to be one of the somewhat multi-plat capable ones out there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Glimpse posted:

The source code wouldn't be of much use. KoDP was created with a proprietary multimedia CDrom authoring package called mTroplolis which is long dead and doesn't run on modern systems (requiring a disc is probably a limitation of that software). It'd be like if it was made with Macromedia Director, if Macromedia went out of business in 1997 and was promptly forgotten, never to be acquired by Adobe.

I'm playing it on my computer right now without the CD, even. The game was designed to run straight off the CD. If you copy the contents of the CD onto the root of a drive (I'm using my E hard drive because nothing was in its root previously) then copy the contents of the 1.7 patch onto that, as far as I can tell the game runs as 1.7 just fine.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

eesau posted:

This, and the whole build system they used is ancient and a pain to deal with, is what David Dunham has said. So it would be quite a bit of work to port it to PC (although I happen to think it'd be worth it, especially since they could charge $10 or even more without anyone batting an eyelid).

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Sidpret posted:

Has anyone tried killing the troll spider mother thing? Some spoilers about her: when I begged for mercy, she killed me - I was harboring the iron spike and I think this might have had something to do with it. Later, when I ran into her again, I told her I would never return, and she let me go.

With Cragspider the best you can hope for is that she lets you go if you promise to never bother her again. Don't gently caress with her, seriously.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Shrine to Barntar with Vigor. Trade with your neighbors. Call in some favors. Recruit more farmers (click the Farmers button, it'll let you get more peeps). If you feel confident enough, heroquest.

Many clans undergo times of trouble. Some fail. Others survive and prosper.

Another way to get food is to someone off, preferably your ancestral enemy, enough that they'll raid you nonstop. Then get the Earthblood blessing and your fields will be super fertile.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I didn't know there was an iPhone version. Are there any important differences? Did they add content to the game or is it just bug fixes and stuff? Also, have these guys ever made any other games or do they have plans on making more games? King of Dragon Pass was one of the coolest and weirdest games I've ever played and I would totally be up for more of it.

Cool, just found this picture on my hard drive.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Chef Boyardee posted:

I didn't know there was an iPhone version. Are there any important differences? Did they add content to the game or is it just bug fixes and stuff? Also, have these guys ever made any other games or do they have plans on making more games? King of Dragon Pass was one of the coolest and weirdest games I've ever played and I would totally be up for more of it.

Cool, just found this picture on my hard drive.

They added about 20 new scenes, some new treasures, and fixed some bugs. Additionally the UI was completely redone. Gone is the tula overview screen, and a bunch of mostly useless options like assigning crafters (useless since you always max crafters).

As far as other games well, the company involved, A Sharp, hasnt made any other games, but a number of the people involved have, such as Robin D. Laws who's made a bunch of pen & paper RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Ragg posted:

With Cragspider the best you can hope for is that she lets you go if you promise to never bother her again. Don't gently caress with her, seriously.

I thought this as well, but the update notes have an item that reads "Fixed carl morale loss when you pay tribute to Cragspider" and I figured this meant it was possible to succeed in the troll alliance event that occurs if you have the Argan Argar clan in your tribe. I ran a savescum game to test this and did just about everything nice I could to the trolls, giving them the iron spike, running multiple Issaries HQs to improve relations and even adopting the trollkin into my tribe, but the alliance attempt still ended up failing in the end. I guess that note refers to something else, like the option to ransom your party or some event that fires if you piss off the trolls enough. Too bad.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 11, 2011

• Locked thread