Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Apocron posted:

Also reading about cragspider that it is an unkillable death machine makes me feel like maybe starting again with a different ancestral enemy. Does anyone have any recommendations for which has the best random events or is most satisfying to feud with?

They actually all have the ability to murder your clan if you push it too far, but you need to wage a campaign of murder and anti-x event choices to hit that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

RentACop posted:

They actually all have the ability to murder your clan if you push it too far, but you need to wage a campaign of murder and anti-x event choices to hit that point.

Well, the ice demons and the sea god don't have clan-ending events, but you also can't really pick fights with them at will. (The ice demons are still an okay choice of enemy, since picking them improves your chance of successfully raiding in winter.)

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
It's helpful to keep in mind what your status is: you are the leader of a clan or, at best, a small tribe of willfully backwards barbarians. No matter how awesome you feel after raiding other people's tulas, if you gently caress with the actual powers of the setting cavalierly you will get burnt.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

For the guy who can't do heroquests, that sounds bugged. You should be able to do them pretty much right away. I don't know what would prevent you.

It was odd, the Hero Quest option just never enabled, just grayed out. But when I started a new game the option was enabled from the start.

I'm slightly annoyed about that, since I went for something like 30-40 years of pretty much nothing but kicking rear end at raids. I hadn't yet realised that just expanding didn't get you any closer to winning, so I was doing cattle raids land-grabs of neighboring tribes in an attempt to sustain something like 1200 people including 30 weaponthanes. And I was generally holding 800-900 cattle and 1000ish in goods. I'd suffered a couple of clan breakaways from just expanding too big, but had no notable problems and only one year where I even had to slaughter cattle.

But I couldn't Hero Quest for some reason, so it was all for naught (or, I guess, just good practice). And then, despite all my stability, this random instance popped up where a massive army of beastmen just showed up, and it wasn't even so much a battle screen as just artwork and an explanation that they're leveled all my comprehensive fortifications, trashed my tula, and taken out like 700 people and 90% of my assets, and my tribe voted to dissolve a season or two later. Is that some ungodly horrible luck, or did the few fights I picked with the Ducks come back to haunt me a decade later, or is that just the game's way of saying "stop futzing around empire-building, that's not how you win" ?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

And then, despite all my stability, this random instance popped up where a massive army of beastmen just showed up, and it wasn't even so much a battle screen as just artwork and an explanation that they're leveled all my comprehensive fortifications, trashed my tula, and taken out like 700 people and 90% of my assets, and my tribe voted to dissolve a season or two later. Is that some ungodly horrible luck, or did the few fights I picked with the Ducks come back to haunt me a decade later, or is that just the game's way of saying "stop futzing around empire-building, that's not how you win" ?
That's standard if you've pissed off the ducks too much or otherwise annoyed the Beastmen. This is why you don't gently caress with ducks.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So, my tribe in mid-making kinda sucked and failed. Do I get another chance eventually or...?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
This game is great because you can think you're doing awesome then one or two events pretty much fucks over your whole game.

I had things going great, was the king for a couple years, everyone was about as happy as possible and I was ruining anyone that looked at me wrong. Then all of a sudden my clans fight over a dumb spear and call me stupid then kick me out of the tribe. Game over.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

aeglus posted:

This game is great because you can think you're doing awesome then one or two events pretty much fucks over your whole game.

Feels like I am playing Shogun 2 or something when it comes to end game. Get to be king, get close to the end a- Oh, I failed a quest, my guy trying the quest dies and all my treasures explode into flames. Then trolls, tusks, horses, and five other clans attack me. All my magic is gone because some ghost yells spooky things at me, then I starve to death.

I wouldn't mind a super easy-easy mode where I can save before quests and if they fail reload and try them again, instead of what happened above, ya know?

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
In the King of Dragon Pass long game, what was the winning condition already? You don't need one of your own clansmen/women to become a king, as long as you make a tribe, right?

PS: I know there's a load of other crap you have to do, I just need to know the above, since my clan leader died after failing the rite :V
PSS: You can load a previous year by going to Saga, scrolling to the bottom and hitting reload. Hooray, savescumming.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

ZephroDyne posted:

PSS: You can load a previous year by going to Saga, scrolling to the bottom and hitting reload. Hooray, savescumming.

I feel like such an idiot now. So many horrible quests with all my poo poo exploding all the time and restarting in frustration. Thanks!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

ZephroDyne posted:

In the King of Dragon Pass long game, what was the winning condition already? You don't need one of your own clansmen/women to become a king, as long as you make a tribe, right?
You have to become King of all of Dragon Pass, which does require one of your own clansmen/women to become the tribal king before all the rest of the endgame stuff happens. You don't have to be the FIRST king of your tribe, there'll be more king elections later as current kings die and you can try to get somebody into power then.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
You can scum save the quests too. If the quest goes poorly at the screen where it tells you you failed/died/whatever if you exit out of and close the app when you reopen you'll be right before when you started the quest. I never seem to get a better result the second time though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
If you don't savescum the quests you are setting yourself up for a lot of bullshit and suffering.

Even if you pick all the right choices, the game can decide NOPE YOU DONT GET TO LIVE TODAY and kill a vital ring member with no recourse on your end.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Apocron posted:

I was wondering how you gauge how much is appropriate to sacrifice or gift when you have those options? I just have no idea if it's based on the percentage of your total in a given area or if there are flat amounts that are usually good to use? Last game I went bankrupt through giving away too many cows as gifts and sacrifices and I was wondering if I could just get by offering 10-20 cows for anything.

For sacrifices I went small = 7 and medium = 14 - if one didn't work the other always did.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

When making a clan for a new game, what exactly does the selection about which god you awakened first mean? Should my chief be of that religion or should it always be an Orlanth/Vingan?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Sankis posted:

When making a clan for a new game, what exactly does the selection about which god you awakened first mean? Should my chief be of that religion or should it always be an Orlanth/Vingan?

I think it means you just start with a shrine to that god.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Apocron posted:

I was wondering how you gauge how much is appropriate to sacrifice or gift when you have those options? I just have no idea if it's based on the percentage of your total in a given area or if there are flat amounts that are usually good to use? Last game I went bankrupt through giving away too many cows as gifts and sacrifices and I was wondering if I could just get by offering 10-20 cows for anything.

7 cows is the standard unit for any exchange, so to speak. Goods can substitute for cows in some, but not all situations. Some gods prefer cows, and some prefer goods. Just experiment and see what you can get away with.

Apocron posted:

Also reading about cragspider that it is an unkillable death machine makes me feel like maybe starting again with a different ancestral enemy. Does anyone have any recommendations for which has the best random events or is most satisfying to feud with?

Trolls are pretty good cause you can use Earthblood and get tons of food and magic every time you beat one of their raids. Just make sure you don't go out of your way to piss them off.

Sankis posted:

Your chief should worship the god you chose during the Marriage of Orlanth and Ernalda. You get a shrine to the god you awakened first.

Ragg fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 12, 2011

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The game warned me that trying to chum up to Eumal (sp?) would be a bad idea, but I think he is the most awesome god.

Is this the game just trying to tell me not to do what I want to do or is it really hard to use that god?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Eumal is really random but I never had him do anything too bad. He's notable for accepting lower sacrifices than other gods thanks to being a loser nerd no one likes and for accepting weird and exotic sacrifices other gods would be offended at.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The game gave me the choice between a dashing guy on a horse, a lousy drunk and a woman who knew her place was in the kitchen.

I feel like I made the right choice.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Oh you mean Elmal

He's a more defensive version of Orlanth. The biggest problem is the game not spawning a follower to lead your clan because they're kind of rare.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is it worth keeping a shrine to maran gor for earthblood all the time or should I just sacrifice to turn it on after I kill a shitload of horse nomads or whatever?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Orlanth is the easiest main god to pick, because his followers are plentiful and they tend to have high leadership. You can also use Vinga followers, they're treated as Orlanth followers for all intents and purposes.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

andrew smash posted:

Is it worth keeping a shrine to maran gor for earthblood all the time or should I just sacrifice to turn it on after I kill a shitload of horse nomads or whatever?

Not sure how it works... you might need to have it up when the battle takes place. If you're getting raided regularly I'd just keep a shrine up.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Sounds good. Also I feel like if I don't sacrifice to humakt and check "kill as many as possible" before every fight I'm doing something wrong.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
How do i find new information on quests so i can perform them?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Quornes posted:

How do i find new information on quests so i can perform them?

Sacrifice for mysteries.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Are there rules of thumb in terms of how many acres of unused land you should have per hunter and how many acres of pasture you should have per herd? What I do now is increase my farm land until I am producing a little more food than I have people, and I generally have as much pastureland as I have herds. This seems to work okay-ish.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I just do whatever my clan's animal & crops guys tell me to do when I bip over into the farming screen, but keeping in mind the fact that sometimes they tend to be really optimistic. Oh, you say we have enough farmers to support 277 acres of cropland? Then we'll have 275 acres of cropland, I guess. You say our herds require 100 acres? Well, we'll let them have 150 just to make sure.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

InediblePenguin posted:

I just do whatever my clan's animal & crops guys tell me to do when I bip over into the farming screen, but keeping in mind the fact that sometimes they tend to be really optimistic. Oh, you say we have enough farmers to support 277 acres of cropland? Then we'll have 275 acres of cropland, I guess. You say our herds require 100 acres? Well, we'll let them have 150 just to make sure.

Yeah this is about right. You want 1.5-2x the amount of land for your herds as your advisors recommend.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Welp. Made it 10 years as king then realized / was informed that I had chosen a short game at the very beginning. Oops! :suicide:

I've been savescumming hero quests but nothing else, because loosing a guy with two Renowneds and two Heroics due to divine fiat is a little annoying. :mad:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Ragg posted:

Sacrifice for mysteries.

This - sometimes instead of a blessing unlocking, you'll learn enough to undertake a heroquest, or perhaps get additional hints along the way.

And save your hate for Cragspider - she has a use. Send unwanted clan members to the north to face her wrath (with a minimal guard, naturally) and kiss them goodbye! Nice for when you're staring at like 5 Ernalda worshipers and a few don't really have any particular worth. I'm ALMOST positive they simply get replaced.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Conskill posted:

It's helpful to keep in mind what your status is: you are the leader of a clan or, at best, a small tribe of willfully backwards barbarians. No matter how awesome you feel after raiding other people's tulas, if you gently caress with the actual powers of the setting cavalierly you will get burnt.

And also dicking over people for starting trouble in the tribe.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's with the iOS version of KODP not having "Faralinthor, Salty Lord of the Sea " as a choice for ancient enemy? Aren't we technically missing out on special events?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
They're special events where tidal waves destroy huge parts of your tula and you have no recourse and no enemies to stab. They are stupid events and you are better off without them.

NmareBfly posted:

I've been savescumming hero quests but nothing else, because loosing a guy with two Renowneds and two Heroics due to divine fiat is a little annoying. :mad:

Wuss.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sankis posted:

What's with the iOS version of KODP not having "Faralinthor, Salty Lord of the Sea " as a choice for ancient enemy? Aren't we technically missing out on special events?
They removed him because he wasn't nearly as developed as the other enemies, on the other hand apparently there are a bunch of new scenes too.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

They're special events where tidal waves destroy huge parts of your tula and you have no recourse and no enemies to stab. They are stupid events and you are better off without them.

Wuss.

Ohhh. Him! I think I was confusing the awful, unfun sea enemy with the Ice one. I think I picked him once before and it was the least fun thing and never did it again.

So, yeah, his removal makes sense in that case. Thanks.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Occasionally your Tula would disappear beneath the sea. What's that? You're not on the coast? I'd explain how this was happening but it's time for raiding tips!

The Fire season is for raiding. Raid twice in Fire. What's that, you're playing a peace tribe? So what, raid twice in the fire season anyway. Military victory brings you satisfaction among your weaponthanes, and if you don't keep those guys happy they hang about the tula bored and looking for goats to rape. Raiding is the only thing these guys DO, they should be raiding 24/7.

But Mongol, then everyone will hate me for raiding them! Oh, stupid goon, why are you raiding everyone? Raid only one clan, preferably a neighbor, every time. They'll quickly run out of soldiers and your raids will be a great source of goods, cows, and clan pride. If they try to sue for peace, ask for ludicrously large tribute--they'll probably refuse, so you can keep beating on them!

Then take advantage of the fact that you have more cows and goods than you have a use for and just give exorbitant goods to everyone else who doesn't like you. In a properly run Dragon Pass, everyone will love you but one clan, who will flinch when you go to visit them. Also you are rich and your military conquest has brought you tremendous magical power and divine favor.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

How big are the differences between war/balanced/peace anyway? What exactly does it effect?

How about thralls/no thralls? Any downside to keeping thralls except that non-thrall takers will probably dislike you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mystic Mongol posted:

Raiding :words:

What if you're playing a warlike clan? Should I raid in Sea as well for more magic and satisfaction?

• Locked thread