Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Illegal Username posted:

THAT GODDAMN DUCK

You'd best not be talking poo poo about the best drat zombie killer in the entire pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Earlier today, I dug up my ancient copy of this and managed to get it working fine on Windows 7. However, when I start it now, it gives me this error message:

In-game, it looks like this:

My font size is at the default(small). Has anyone else had this happen?

edit: nevermind, restarting fixed it!

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 17, 2011

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

AG3 posted:

If it's the event I'm thinking of, there was an option to sacrifice to the spirits of your ancestors for protection, and I had no problems taking on the shaman after having used that. At least I think it was the ancestors.. either way, there should be an option there for getting protection against his spirits.

I did that but the same thing still happened :(

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Sankis posted:

I did that but the same thing still happened :(

Maybe your sacrifice was too small, and the spirits didn't accept it? Either that or the amount of soldiers you sent was too low to beat him. I can't remember if you had to pick someone to lead them, but if so then maybe the combat skill was too low.

Or what is probably the most likely answer... the RNG screwed you over, again.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Is the Horse-Spawn thrall rescue thing just another crag spider autodeath? I explored to the SW and got an event to save a bunch of thralls, but my entire war party vanished and the next one I sent all got captured too. Then I got raided. Wasn't a great year. I'm wondering if I should just send more dudes next time but I don't wanna throw them down a black hole.

They did that one in the LP and succeeded, so it is possible. Probably very hard though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
No, the best goddamn duck is the Humkati Deathlord duck. That drat duck is a goddamn badass, and you better respect it!

The fox spirit... well, there's a couple of was to deal with it. You can agree to his demands, and not cut down wildlands for a while. You can hunt him down and trade away / kill him, and that'll piss off whoever he's a messenger for. Or you can only partially agree to his demands, and still piss off whoever he's the messenger for.

He's a messenger for some very dangerous people, if you manage to piss them off. So be careful how you proceed.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Davincie posted:

They did that one in the LP and succeeded, so it is possible. Probably very hard though.

I managed to free the thralls twice with about 30 thanes and a really good leader. At the time I had way too many thanes and I was trying to get them killed so they would stop asking me to split the clan.

As far as the fox goes, I killed him and sacrificed him to Orlanth I think. I haven't suffered any repurcussions yet but...

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

quote:

The fox spirit... well, there's a couple of was to deal with it. You can agree to his demands, and not cut down wildlands for a while.

See, I did this the first game and then he turned back up and asked for a bunch of cattle, and when I said okay to that the farmers got mad. Then a season or two later they told me they didn't see any additional luck and the fox must've been lying, for another substantial mood hit.

This time when I saw him I sacrificed him to Eurmal, who seemed quite pleased with it. No idea what sort of effect it had, though! Wonder if it was worth the 3 magic to catch him.

I wish I could get a good Vinga leader, I wanna win with a queen. I assume it changes the regular endgame at least a little, since the game I won I ended up marrying the Horse Spawn queen. Does the game just switch her genders, or is it actually different? I suppose it might just not change it at all since Vingas have the 'souls of men.' :pervert:

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

I wish I could get a good Vinga leader, I wanna win with a queen. I assume it changes the regular endgame at least a little, since the game I won I ended up marrying the Horse Spawn queen. Does the game just switch her genders, or is it actually different? I suppose it might just not change it at all since Vingas have the 'souls of men.' :pervert:

You marry the horse-spawn prince instead. That's pretty much it, I think.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're an ernalda clan can you make an ernalda worshipper queen? I'm not sure as I have only ever reached tribe-making stage with orlanth clans.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've not done it either, but I'd think not. The other clans would probably be against it.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

andrew smash posted:

If you're an ernalda clan can you make an ernalda worshipper queen? I'm not sure as I have only ever reached tribe-making stage with orlanth clans.

I won the game with the super girl you get as part of a story line as my queen once.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Coolio posted:

I won the game with the super girl you get as part of a story line as my queen once.

She's a Vingan, who are considered to be equal to Orlanth worshipping men.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
The Ernaldan clan leader I had in my last game was made queen of the tribe, although the clan ring constantly bitched about not having an Orlanthi in charge.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Welp, my population is steadily dwindling little by little under raids and such, and not enough babies are born to compensate. What do?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Welp, my population is steadily dwindling little by little under raids and such, and not enough babies are born to compensate. What do?

Turn on ernalda's (?) bless children ritual, capture thralls, hire farmers from outside the clan. That's pretty much it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Never bless children, you don't need a solution 15 years from now and serious food shortages until then.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Not enough population isn't the problem, that usually takes care of itself if there's nothing else going on. It's constant attrition because of a lovely defense/lovely diplomacy that's the problem. Learn to make friends or fight better.

andrew smash posted:

Wait do you actually have to have a king of the clan cult or is it just much much easier and better like it is for chieftains earlier on

My Eurmal king... :negative:

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 18, 2011

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It doesn't really fit with the setting much but I think it would be cool if there were options to make your clan cult worship whoever you wanted (IE the NPC yinkin clan you run into in random events, etc). It would be a really entertaining gimmick game to be a eurmal clan who gets into trouble constantly and then gets massacred by their neighbors.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
That's like 90% of the normal Orlanth clans people play, but yes

Someone make KoDP 2 already, I wanna run a gang of Storm Bulls or some poo poo

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Learn to make friends or fight better.

Learn to dispense useful advice or shut the gently caress up.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Someone make KoDP 2 already, I wanna run a gang of Storm Bulls or some poo poo

They're making one and as an FPS it should be right up your alley, since you play as a named weaponthrane who's voice acted by seth green.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 18, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
My advice doubles as a protip for real life. It is the best advice.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Crackpipe posted:

I'm probably one of maybe 15 people who can honestly say they bought this back in 1999. So incredibly happy to see it revived. It's going on my iPod Touch.

What crazy business is next? An OS X port of Realmz?

Oh man, I wish. I bought this back in the day as well, I started my gaming career as a Mac gamer. Realmz and Escape Velocity were my lifeblood. I want EV:Override on Android so bad. So, so bad.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Have anyone managed to play a successful, "conquering/slaving/rear end in a top hat" game of this? Conquering in this game is hard, even your own tribe bitches even when you are successful at stealing everyones poo poo (oooh let's split off with half your cattle and form a new tribe, you got so much land! or The Warriors got too much poo poo, waaaaaah) and you can seemingly never truly be rid of any tribes (they just move further away).
Of course, it was fun trying to combine one such game with the "all-woman council worshipping that female-warrior-god-I-can't-remember-the-name-of (Vinga?)" idea.
I couldn't imagine the non-diplomatic path (if it even is a path) would be that difficult :argh:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't think you can be successful. Isn't it kind of the whole point of the game? That the Orlanthi clans have been fighting for so long that the only way they can survive the pass is by allying up?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Is there any way to cheat and read the agendas/dossiers on your clan ring leaders? I want to know if this guy I have is a chaos worshipper.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

enigma74 posted:

Is there any way to cheat and read the agendas/dossiers on your clan ring leaders? I want to know if this guy I have is a chaos worshipper.

Orlanthi don't read dossiers - introduce him to the Cragspider. If he tries diplomacy, he's a chaos worshipper. If she eats him, he's innocent.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanilla Bison posted:

Orlanthi don't read dossiers - introduce him to the Cragspider. If he tries diplomacy, he's a chaos worshipper. If she eats him, he's innocent.

Ah, the classic "Drown the witch" approach.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

Have anyone managed to play a successful, "conquering/slaving/rear end in a top hat" game of this? Conquering in this game is hard, even your own tribe bitches even when you are successful at stealing everyones poo poo (oooh let's split off with half your cattle and form a new tribe, you got so much land! or The Warriors got too much poo poo, waaaaaah) and you can seemingly never truly be rid of any tribes (they just move further away).

Yes. You can seize the land of every tribe EXCEPT your tribemates. All of the other tribes relocate further and further away and eventually are kicked into the swamp with the ducks.

The bitching about splitting off clans is just an excuse to raid again to seize MORE land, and that raid will boost morale. The biggest problem is reaching critical mass and making sure your tribemates don't box you in and prevent you from bordering everyone to seize their land.

Back when the LP was going on I spent a while doing this, it was pretty fun. I'll see if I can find the pictures.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 18, 2011

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The game is deliberately designed to keep you from winning too much militarily. On one hand, its pretty refreshing given most games involving rival factions in a strategic setting encourage powergaming warmongering attitudes as the default or just most expedient way to achieve victory. On the other hand, its pretty heavy handed how they go about discouraging your antics, via "hey we have tons of land and food and people LETS SPLIT UP" events and instant game over situations if you keep antagonizing various factions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Probably a dumb question, but is there any word on an Android release?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The game is deliberately designed to keep you from winning too much militarily. On one hand, its pretty refreshing given most games involving rival factions in a strategic setting encourage powergaming warmongering attitudes as the default or just most expedient way to achieve victory. On the other hand, its pretty heavy handed how they go about discouraging your antics, via "hey we have tons of land and food and people LETS SPLIT UP" events and instant game over situations if you keep antagonizing various factions.

Well, yes. But you can always get around that if you just raid more. And the two big GAME OVERS have pretty cool event chains and are heavily foreshadowed. Plus its not like taking over the world actually helps you reach the endgame.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I don't get this game sometimes. My clan is "jubilant" and everyone is happy, the tribe I lead is "jubilant" and I've done lots of quests to up my clan rep, and STILL my rep is stuck at the lowest level possible, not budging an inch no matter how well I'm doing. Which leads to the other clans in the tribe coming around every couple of years demanding my king steps down for not respecting their traditions, despite the fact that the tribe mood is maxed out.

My king can just talk them out of it by using "eloquent words", but I can't seem to progress to the kingdom making phase so long as my reputation is at rock bottom. I can't even think of something I did wrong, other than kicking the poo poo out of a nearby clan not in my tribe and seizing their land until they packed up and left, but even doing that shouldn't be impossible to recover from.

Come to think of it, a couple of games ago I had something similar, except with my clan mood, where it was stuck at "grim" no matter how well things went, how good the weaponthanes and farmers felt, and what quests I completed. I wish the game would be a bit more transparent about what was going wrong, because it's not telling me and I'm not seeing anything that's wrong.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 18, 2011

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!

AG3 posted:

I don't get this game sometimes. My clan is "jubilant" and everyone is happy, the tribe I lead is "jubilant" and I've done lots of quests to up my clan rep, and STILL my rep is stuck at the lowest level possible, not budging an inch no matter how well I'm doing. Which leads to the other clans in the tribe coming around every couple of years demanding my king steps down for not respecting their traditions, despite the fact that the tribe mood is maxed out.

My king can just talk them out of it by using "eloquent words", but I can't seem to progress to the kingdom making phase so long as my reputation is at rock bottom. I can't even think of something I did wrong, other than kicking the poo poo out of a nearby clan not in my tribe and seizing their land until they packed up and left, but even doing that shouldn't be impossible to recover from.

Come to think of it, a couple of games ago I had something similar, except with my clan mood, where it was stuck at "grim" no matter how well things went, how good the weaponthanes and farmers felt, and what quests I completed. I wish the game would be a bit more transparent about what was going wrong, because it's not telling me and I'm not seeing anything that's wrong.

Are you a good Orlanthi? Because when your Customs expert guy says something should be resolved in X way according to tradition, you really should be choosing that answer usually. You can seem like 'winning' the game and still be a dirty foreigner Bad King Urgrain according to the Orlanthi way of rollin' with the bros 'n' cows.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ota_Himuro posted:

Are you a good Orlanthi? Because when your Customs expert guy says something should be resolved in X way according to tradition, you really should be choosing that answer usually. You can seem like 'winning' the game and still be a dirty foreigner Bad King Urgrain according to the Orlanthi way of rollin' with the bros 'n' cows.

Hard to say, really. Events that require/allow a typical Orlanthi solution don't seem to show up often. I get the odd event where two tribesmembers want me to settle a dispute, I settle it according to divination and what my leaders find out from questioning, and for the most part everyone seems happy enough (hence the good mood).

Either my current game is bugged or I'm missing something, because the game doesn't seem to allow me many opportunities to screw up, hence why it's odd that I can't budge my rep from the very "Bad King Ugrain" bottom even with multiple successful rep increasing quests in a row.

Maybe I'm not doing anything wrong, as such, but simply not doing something I should be doing. No idea what that would be though.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 18, 2011

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AG3 posted:

Maybe I'm not doing anything wrong, as such, but simply not doing something I should be doing. No idea what that would be though.

What sort of concessions did you offer the other clans when you made the tribe? Most of them seem to be automatic but I think there are a few you need to manually do. Also send more emissaries with gifts.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Pimpmust posted:

Of course, it was fun trying to combine one such game with the "all-woman council worshipping that female-warrior-god-I-can't-remember-the-name-of (Vinga?)" idea.
I couldn't imagine the non-diplomatic path (if it even is a path) would be that difficult :argh:

It is definitely possible. Be a war tribe, dump 3 points of magic into war (you know how you can invest magic at the start of battle to give you an edge? the magic you invest in sacred time is added in EVERY battle that season), raid each time in fire and storm for four potential raids a year, more through events. Keep morale high and your clan will never split.

As for all vinga circle, it's actually a terrible idea because it hurts your clan magic and fertility and your chances to successfully do hero quests. A balanced clan gender wise with seven different gods is best.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

NmareBfly posted:

What sort of concessions did you offer the other clans when you made the tribe? Most of them seem to be automatic but I think there are a few you need to manually do. Also send more emissaries with gifts.

Uh... Well, I've done the gift giving, no dice there. As for concessions, well... Kept the needed sacrifices per year down to a minimum, other than that I didn't accept anything more than what was needed to get the deal through. The worst ones (like 1 in 4 monarchs having to be Vingan) I ditched. Overall it seemed like a pretty good deal for the most part, and when I got the complaint thing going later I had the satisfied clans make concessions to the ones that weren't, and it seemed to work.

I bet it's because I accepted that all tribe kings had to be literate... That's it, isn't it? Every would-be :downs: king got pissed that they'd never rule.

I'll just start a new game and see if the same thing happens. Maybe it got borked somewhere along the way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vanilla Bison posted:

Sending worthless Ring leaders off to the Cragspider is the best way to fire them from the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Coolio posted:

It is definitely possible. Be a war tribe, dump 3 points of magic into war (you know how you can invest magic at the start of battle to give you an edge? the magic you invest in sacred time is added in EVERY battle that season), raid each time in fire and storm for four potential raids a year, more through events. Keep morale high and your clan will never split.

Of course, I've never had trouble beating the poo poo out of every comer (Well, maybe the ducks...) but I'd still get those drat splits because the farmers be whining about how much rear end the thanes are getting or something.

Coolio posted:

As for all vinga circle, it's actually a terrible idea because it hurts your clan magic and fertility and your chances to successfully do hero quests. A balanced clan gender wise with seven different gods is best.

Yeah well, that's the easy way and we can't have that :colbert:

• Locked thread