Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah well, that's the easy way and we can't have that :colbert:

No offence, but there's a 'no easy way' approach, and a 'get through a field of angry Chaos Broos blindfolded, hogtied and naked' approach. Guess which one applies to you? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
In the late game (like, post-tribe) you can totally go to war all the time and consistently take no losses and sustain a ridiculous clan but holy gently caress does it get boring.

It's sort of one of the nice things about this game that expanding and eliminating your neighbors in standard stratgame fashion is easily the least interesting thing you can do with your time, it's a distraction from dealing with the important things like dealing with all your carls who just hosed a plant and got explosive plant AIDS

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 18, 2011

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Anticheese posted:

Probably a dumb question, but is there any word on an Android release?

I think at some point one of the developers said something somewhere about waiting and seeing how it does on iOS before considering ports. Appshopper seems to be saying that it has not done particularly well so I dunno.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

In the late game (like, post-tribe) you can totally go to war all the time and consistently take no losses and sustain a ridiculous clan but holy gently caress does it get boring.

It's sort of one of the nice things about this game that expanding and eliminating your neighbors in standard stratgame fashion is easily the least interesting thing you can do with your time, it's a distraction from dealing with the important things like dealing with all your carls who just hosed a plant and got explosive plant AIDS

To be fair, in other stratgames, late game military is still just loving dull. Oh look, now I get to fight everyone while I have to micro a million loving things with turns that take as long as the entire early game took.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I've been playing this game a ton recently, but I haven't been able to figure something out - if you try to form a tribe and fail for whatever reason, is there a way to re-attempt it? Or are you stuck tribeless forever?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

it's a distraction from dealing with the important things like dealing with all your carls who just hosed a plant and got explosive plant AIDS

And for those who haven't bought this game yet, yes what he is describing is actually an in-game event. And it's hilarious.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Mikhail Gorbachev posted:

I've been playing this game a ton recently, but I haven't been able to figure something out - if you try to form a tribe and fail for whatever reason, is there a way to re-attempt it? Or are you stuck tribeless forever?

I think it just takes a while and then you can shoot for it again. Once you're in a tribe, though you're pretty much locked into the endgame progression, and can't count on a chance to recover once you screw up.

StarkRavingMad posted:

And for those who haven't bought this game yet, yes what he is describing is actually an in-game event. And it's hilarious.

It is really hard to describe some of the poo poo that goes on in KoDP without making it sound monkey cheese, even though it all makes perfect sense in context. It's a game where magical shamans shoot lighting at trolls from atop their stegosaurus mounts, and probably the most faithful adaptation of prehistoric European society I've seen in fiction.

Replaying it's gotten me really curious about the tabletop game it's based on, I hear good things but I ain't done that poo poo in forever and it was kinda gross back then. Little bit concerned about the actual ratio of 'pretending to be Cuchulainn before he made it big' to 'creepers pretending to be the guys loving the AIDS plant'

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 19, 2011

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I think it just takes a while and then you can shoot for it again. Once you're in a tribe, though you're pretty much locked into the endgame progression, and can't count on a chance to recover once you screw up.

So the blind prophet will come back eventually? He hadn't after 10+ years, so I just said 'gently caress it' and made a new clan.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I've had games where he came back and bitched me out for moving so slow on an annual basis, so yeah I guess it's one of those things that happens but can't be counted on.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mikhail Gorbachev posted:

So the blind prophet will come back eventually? He hadn't after 10+ years, so I just said 'gently caress it' and made a new clan.

I don't think he'll come back, actually. Usually what happens is you'll get some other chance to form a tribe, I believe it is an option when clans come to you to arbitrate a peace treaty, or something. The event is basically unrelated to tribe formation and the other clans look at you weird when you suggest it, but go along.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I'm trying to decide if I wanna get this. Is this more like a Civilization/Paradox type game with tons of little variables to micromanage, or a choose-your-own-adventure type where you mostly make "big" decisions? It looks cool but I can't really stand 4x-ish games anymore.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Mostly the latter. You've gotta manage your food and people and soldiers and poo poo to keep them at a stable ratio or else you'll fall apart at the first string of bad luck but most of the meat of the game is diplomatic and about making the right choices in response to to the random poo poo that gets thrown at you. A lot more settling land disputes between squabbling farmers and figuring out whether the big crazy stranger yelling about how your cows are possessed by bestiality demons is telling the truth (yes) than expanding your empire on a wave of blood.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So where the hell is the dwarf valley on the exploration map? I can't seem to find it anywhere and I'm looking everywhere that seems like a valley that dwarves would live in. It seems like the only big exploration thing I haven't found :(

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Northwestish, a little above and to the east of Kero Fin. You'll get an event about your explorers finding an abandoned mine and turning back because there's freaky sounds coming from it that triggers their plotline.

Is there anything to do in the beastman territory? Most of the time I send someone out there I just lose guys or get the world's most useless artifact, is there any event to trigger or are they just crap like the trolls?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

This loving guy

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, Tricksters pretty much have the best advice. Being a trickster in Orlanthi society would probably be the best choice since you're EXPECTED to be an rear end in a top hat.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, i hosed up the hero quest to form a tribe and now i cant do it again? is there a set waait time, or am i hosed?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Jiriam posted:

So, i hosed up the hero quest to form a tribe and now i cant do it again? is there a set waait time, or am i hosed?

You should be able to attempt the hero quest whenever you feel like, the prophet will come back in a while.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You'll get more chances to form a tribe, just pay attention to the options you're given. Depending on where you are it might be a little random when it pops up.

Don't try the quest again right away, you usually want a full year minimum between attempts. Just check with your council and see if one bitches about entering the god's realm too often.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What exactly does the difficulty affect?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Sankis posted:

Yeah, Tricksters pretty much have the best advice. Being a trickster in Orlanthi society would probably be the best choice since you're EXPECTED to be an rear end in a top hat.

Pretty sure that if people find out that you are a worshipper of Eurmal, you'll get beaten up and outlawed, unless the chief feels like taking responsibility for your actions.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Tricksters are awesome. Are there any other nobles that actually give you more options during events?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Tricksters are awesome. Are there any other nobles that actually give you more options during events?

I don't know if they add anything, but a Humakti or Uroxi on the ring also give entertaining advice.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Gorelab posted:

What exactly does the difficulty affect?

I don't know it all, but I'm sure of this in the PC version:
- Likelihood of success when attempting to solve a crisis. A choice that always works on easy may only rarely work on hard.
- Probability of getting windfall events and bad events like famine
- Strength of bandits outside your tula
- Starting disposition of your neighbors, and how easy it is to make peace with them
- Battle difficulty
- Heroquest difficulty

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oof. Some heroquests are assholes even on easy. Being a cow deity is apparently hard work.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I don't know if they add anything, but a Humakti or Uroxi on the ring also give entertaining advice.

I got the random event where the giant brings his skeleton dancing troupe to the tula and my humakti warmaster was outraged that I didn't immediately butcher them all. It was funny.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Every god has at least one event they help with... Barntar is a boring god, but occasionally your Barntari can fix a cow related issue with his dumbass cow magic.

The big three are Humakti, Uroxi, and of course Eurmali.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Does the Uroxi give you win conditions when some horrible chaos tentacle beast shows up to molest your cows or what?

I almost never even see Uroxi nobles anyway but their dickass religion makes more trouble than the Eurmal guys could ever hope to, tell me they've got something good.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 25, 2011

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
Where should I explore to discover the dwarves? It seems like I've been just about everywhere on the map without running into them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Here To Help posted:

Where should I explore to discover the dwarves? It seems like I've been just about everywhere on the map without running into them.

I recall it was to the west of cragspider lands, and to the east of Prax.

Sort of a tricky area to explore.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I just asked for it and found it just north of the beastlands in that valley there. Remember that the darker areas are hills.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Puistokemisti posted:

Pretty sure that if people find out that you are a worshipper of Eurmal, you'll get beaten up and outlawed, unless the chief feels like taking responsibility for your actions.

Being outlawed is very often a death sentence in Orlanthi society, because the second you step off Tula lands after being outlawed, it goes into effect and you legally become a non-person, meaning it is perfectly fine for someone who desires such to follow you and murder you without repercussion. Outsiders/Non-Orlanthi are also considered Non-Persons.

Guess what happens to most tricksters? They're rare for a reason.

I've got a big RPG book (Sartar Kingdom of Heroes) centered on Orlanthi Culture (technically Sartarites, which is the Kingdom formed by the events of this game) and I can try to answer some questions people have about their society and the world around them.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 29, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Being outlawed is very often a death sentence in Orlanthi society, because the second you step off Tula lands after being outlawed, it goes into effect and you legally become a non-person, meaning it is perfectly fine for someone who desires such to follow you and murder you without repercussion. Outsiders/Non-Orlanthi are also considered Non-Persons.

Guess what happens to most tricksters? They're rare for a reason.

I've got a big RPG book (Sartar Kingdom of Heroes) centered on Orlanthi Culture (technically Sartarites, which is the Kingdom formed by the events of this game) and I can try to answer some questions people have about their society and the world around them.

Do they outlaw people for simply worshipping Eurmal? That seems odd. He's one of the Lightbringers, after all.

What's up with the Praxians? I can only find a little information on them online. They're Orlanthi but they ride huge birds and rhinos and such? Why are they such vicious enemies in Dragon Pass, then?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Darth Windu posted:

Do they outlaw people for simply worshipping Eurmal? That seems odd. He's one of the Lightbringers, after all.

Isn't he more of a Loki-type tolerated outsider? His followers are cast as pretty solid prankster/clowns in the game but in the legends it looks like Eurmal himself is constantly murdering people and stealing their poo poo and betraying Orlanth so it sorta makes sense that Eurmal cults could get really dark as easily as being giggling horsefuckers.

This might fall a little outside the scope of the book, but what's the deal with the dwarves and their schedule? I've heard a little bit about how they're rock people or robot people or something but wasn't sure if the constant references to things being ahead of schedule were just some cryptic poo poo to imply they're prescient or an actual thing.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 29, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Isn't he more of a Loki-type tolerated outsider? His followers are cast as pretty solid prankster/clowns in the game but in the legends it looks like Eurmal himself is constantly murdering people and stealing their poo poo and betraying Orlanth so it sorta makes sense that Eurmal cults could get really dark as easily as being giggling horsefuckers.

Hey man, the Elmali MADE him gently caress that horse. Those guys are the real furries here.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

This might fall a little outside the scope of the book, but what's the deal with the dwarves and their schedule? I've heard a little bit about how they're rock people or robot people or something but wasn't sure if the constant references to things being ahead of schedule were just some cryptic poo poo to imply they're prescient or an actual thing.

Long story short, the dwarves believe that the entire world is a machine, that its breakage is responsible for everything wrong with the world, and that the entire purpose of their lives is to rebuild it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Darth Windu posted:

What's up with the Praxians? I can only find a little information on them online. They're Orlanthi but they ride huge birds and rhinos and such? Why are they such vicious enemies in Dragon Pass, then?

Most people offer only propitiatory sacrifice to the Trickster-God (basically "here take this, go away, and leave us alone!"). Orlanthi consider him responsible for many of the woes in the world, including, but not limited to, death and illness, hunger and loneliness. He is "a shape changer, a rule breaker, a sex changer, a scapegoat, and a glutton." Only a few Madmen and troublemakers devote themselves to his worship, and as mentioned, most are exiled and typically lynched when discovered. However as you said, he helped Orlanthi on the Lightbringers quest, which forms the basis of the Tradition of powerful Orlanthi taking them in to their stead (for their magic is quite useful in many ways) in return for accepting responsibility for the Trickster's antics.

As for the Praxians, they are not Orlanthi, they speak a different language and have a very different, largely nomadic culture that wars/fueds among itself even more than the Orlanthi do (but still find plenty of time to raid their neighbors as well). Prax is a harsh wasteland, largely desert or dry steppes andsavannah. Each tribe has largely domesticated a different animal which they use as battlemounts, ranging from Bison to Zebras, Rhinos to Ostriches, Camels to Horses. The horse tribe is most hated by other Praxians, but they are not the Grazers, who the Orlanthi know as the Horse-Spawn (the Grazerlands are to the west of Dragon Pass, Prax is to the east).

Praxians chief male diety is the brutal Waha the Butcher, one of Urox the Storm Bull's children. The chief female diety is Waha's mother, Eritha the Herd Mother, a fertility Goddess.

Despite being usually antagonistic towards the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass, the Praxians are ancient allies in the never-ending battle against Chaos. There is also a link between the cultures in that the Praxians also worship Urox the Storm Bull, who they call the Desert Wind, and love him greatly despite the harsh beatings of his sand storms, for he is the great destroyer of Chaos (and Praxians hate Chaos just as much as the Orlanthi).

Random Interesting Fact: Orlanthi dislike and fear dogs for ancient religious reasons and use alynxes, the children of Orlanthi's feline half-brother Yinkin, in the duties other cultures use dogs for (hunting, guards etc).

Welp, that turned out longer than I expected it to. :goonsay:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 29, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Kinda makes me want to get the book about Orlanthi. I find Glorantha is way more interesting than most other fantasy worlds. Anyway, thanks. I think there's one event where the Yinkin folk come and request your aid in a raid on another clan who is using dogs. What is the story behind the hatred of dogs?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The main reason Orlanthi distrust dogs is because Narangos the Bad Dog, leader of a pack of demonic hounds, murdered Yinkin's children and lovers. Yinkin, seeking revenge, went after Narangos, but the demon hound was stronger and Yinkin would've died had Orlanth not come along. Orlanth flipped his poo poo about someone trying to kill his beloved half-brother and basically killed the gently caress out of Narangos and his pack with his Godly might, blasting the demon dogs to the underworld.

Unfortunately these demonic hounds would later take the corpse of Yelm the Bad/Bright Emperor, leader of the Fire tribe, bitter enemies of Orlanth's Storm tribe, freshly slain by Orlanth wielding the sword Death (literally the Conceptualization of Death personified as a sword) to the underworld. There, he become The Dead Emperor, the Maggot-Liege, and would cause Orlanth further trouble in his bid to save the world from Wakaboth, Chaos personified, during the Light Bringer's quest (which is the greatest undertaking of the Godtime and :black101: beyond :black101:, the version told in KoDP is heavily abridged, IIRC).

Seriously, Gloranthan Mythology is amazingly :black101:, and full of great names and titles and such, like the The Battle of I Fought, We Won. or the name of Urox's bull headed rune being Rune of Eternal Battle (against Chaos), or the Crimson Bat (giant demon bat, pet monster of the Hated Lunars, that can and does eat entire villages).

Also, if you like the clan creation Questionairre in KoDP, Sartar:KoH has its own version, which an online version of exists, you can play with it here (I'd recommend toggling the background). Also, there is a decent amount of Glorantha knowledge to be found online if you're willing to do a bit of googling and poking around online. Most of it is Orlanthi or (evil, hateful, chaos moon worshiping :argh:) Lunar centric, as those are the two "main" cultures from the RPGs. My own knowledge is almost entirely Orlanthi-Centric, I know a bit about the Lunars (enough to hate the Fire tribe bastards!) but not a lot.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

good story

Hey, keep going. Who are these Lunars are where are they from?

Also, what's the deal with the Pharaoh? After KoDP's chronology, did the Orlanthi finally take care of him?

Edit:
Hahah that clan generator stuff is good reading.

Arkat the Betrayer: He did not become a troll, not Arkat!
Dragonkill War - Q: What lesson did your clan learn? A: New things are usually bad.

Wow, gently caress the Lunars and their duck hunt.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 29, 2011

• Locked thread