Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

Trechary... a false promise, the angry lion roars it's defiance caring not for who would stop it, he was sure he was in one of his boisterous tales now. "If these are not the blades of Akodo Arasou then our first priority is finding them, so treachery is not rewarded by our infighting" he spoke "Our first priority must be finding these sacred arms.. and we might find the culprit whoever it may be"

7k3 (cause I am actually trying to be persuasive now) to try and focus that finding the swords is more important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

Knowing how to receive praise is an important skill – she is happy with the Governor’s words but avoids basking too confidently in them, lest she make herself a target for Eizo’s scorn. In fact, down to the prayers and the presentation, she makes a deliberate effort to make herself as small and unnoticeable as possible, quietly doing everything that is expected of her – no more, no less.

Bewildered, by the time her wits catch up with her, she finds her sharp tongue pointed Akodo Takao’s way, “I thought you’d have to be more than a day out from your gempukku before being sent as part of a delegation.” She doesn’t have the biting anger he does, but she more than makes up for it in acid on her tongue, “Whatever we ‘allowed’, this is obviously an attempt to undermine the peace of this festival. I, for one, refuse to give satisfaction to whatever craven soul would sink to such depths.” A Scorpion soul, if anyone asked for her personal opinion.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As the voices calling for calm ring out, Asahina Kazui braces himself with a hand upon the forearm of Daidoji Eizo, and the two rise together to stand behind their Governor. Ryoma notices that they both appear tense as they eye the band of increasingly hostile Lion, even as the Doji’s demeanor remains serenely calm and collected. Yet his voice also carries an unmistakable edge, as of sharpened steel sheathed in silk. “Indeed, Brother Kyo--and even Shinakio-san--seek the proper path here. Kitsu-san, how can you be sure of the nature of these blades?” Inejiro inquires. “And perhaps more importantly, what proof have you that the rest of us would be bound to accept? As you well know, ever since members of your own Family attempted to use testimony from the ‘departed’ spirit of a man who was very much alive, the Emperor himself declared that witness from beyond the mortal realm is not to be trusted.”

At this the Kitsu hesitates. But after a few moments, he finds his voice again. “I am not claiming the witness of the Kami, nor of the spirit of Arasou-sama. I make this testimony myself, for I am certain of what I state: this is not the daisho that Akodo-sama carried into battle last year; these aren’t the swords we’re looking for.”

“And I am certain that these swords were taken directly from the body of your slain Champion,” Inejiro replies haughtily, swiftly taking up the katana and holding both sheathed weapons up for all to see. “They have been kept here, alongside many other of our priceless treasures, under constant guard ever since we claimed them from the battlefield.”

“Do you question my integrity, then, or my sanity?” retorts the Kitsu.

Daidoji Eizo places himself between the Kitsu and his master. “Do you question my lord’s integrity? If you truly are naming him a liar, then perhaps your sanity is suspect, for that can only lead to one outcome.” His left hand tightly grasps the saya of his katana, while his right hand opens and closes reflexively, as if it were wishing to act as well.

And now Matsu Munemori is interposing himself between his shugenja and the Daidoji, his body mere inches from the latter. “If one would look for the source of insults here, then perhaps he should look closer to the nest, Crane-san.” Though he does not have sufficient space to adopt a proper dueling stance, those with even a modicum of iaijutsu training recognize that the Matsu’s own hands have, perhaps unconsciously, come to rest in a position which would facilitate a swift drawing of his katana, though no blade currently rests in his obi. “And if one would look for confrontation here, then he would find Matsu Munemori more than competent to defend the honor of Kitsu-san, and all the Lion present.”

Brother Kyo once again came in with the highest Courtier roll of all those present, even without the benefit of his SuperAwesomeMonkTechnique. As a result of his (and Shinakio's) success, Inejiro was perfectly happy to give the Kitsu an opportunity to defend himself. Unfortunately, the Doji just plain didn’t find Gojiro’s answer acceptable (the Kitsu is 3k2 on Sincerity, by the bye). Since the disagreement is currently deadlocked at the “he said/he said” stage, unless something is done to resolve the issue we may have ourselves a DUEL!

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 23, 2011

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Ikoma Taji

If there was to be a duel, Taji and Hiro would have to make sure that they had time to prepare for it. A realist at heart, Taji doubts that their champion can stand up to a Kakita trained duelist - centuries of Lion histories tell of countless Akodo and Matsu heroes who had tried the same foolish task, and ended up dead for it. If Munemori was going to win his challenge, then he would need an unfair advantage - and for Taji and Hiro to deliver that, they would need time.

Thinking on his feet, Taji offers his own voice.

"Crane-samas, Matsu-sama, if I may speak - I have spent most of my life at the forges of the Lion Clan. I know many of the secrets that the Akodo smiths work into their blades, and all Lion craftsmen look up to the Daisho in question as the pinnacle of our craft. If I may be allowed to examine the swords, I think I may be able to help clear the muddied waters." Realizing that they would never let him handle the blades by himself, Taji throws in a closing statement. "Of course, it would be best if one of our honorable hosts aided me. I am sure that Doji-sama has a Kakita bladesmith in his city, who may aid me with the legendary skills of that family?"

Even as he says this, Taji wants to look over at Hiro and see if his fellow spy realizes that he is buying him time. Hopefully they would have time to speak after - even if Taji can come to some conclusion about the blade, he doubts that it would avert a duel.

Sincerity 1 + awareness 4 = 5k4 I guess. Just trying to convince them I really am #1 cool weaponsmith guy, and that I am totally not doing this as a ploy so we can poison the governor of Doji-town.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
The Governor appraises Taji skeptically, taking in his shifty eyes and not-particularly-muscled frame. "I was not aware that the Lion had a swordsmith among their delegation. How...convenient. But why, pray tell, ought we to trust your judgement in this matter? What blades of renown have you forged, and what mighty warriors have borne them into battle?"

Perfectly valid idea, DotC. Alas...
% python l5roll.py 5 4 0 1 0
> Rolling 5 dice and Keeping 4 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 5, Kept 4, Kept 2, Kept 2; Total is 13.
...you completely blew your Sincerity roll.
Anybody wanna help the poor Ikoma out?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Akodo Hiro

Stepping forward, Hiro speaks. "None, your honor. It is why he should be permitted. There are no scales of the pride of years or the habits of the master artisan to trouble him, each breath he takes in the presence of the sword is a new thing. His hands and eyes will not be guided by what he thinks he should see, but what he does. Besides, if the claim is so bold as it is it should be apparent to all, no? Let my brother try for the sake of the peace of this festival. Doubtless a true master would have more insight, but we must judge our steel with the artisan we have, not the one we wish we had." He bows.

I think that is Courtier, actually. Spending my last void, I hate you. 8k4 to sway him

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

"I am afraid that Akodo Hiro-san is correct, Doji-sama." Taji's ally had given him plenty of support, but it would be terribly rude to leave a question unanswered. "As of yet, my works are unknown. However, like all Lion smiths, I have extensively studied the techniques and history of our Clan's style. My Sensei made sure of it, before he ever allowed me to pick up a hammer."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Wracking his brain, Takao tries to think of anything particularly distinctive about the Akodo daisho that would reveal whether these were real or fake.

Using Lore: History to remember what I know about the daisho. Lore/Int. 4k3

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

"It was said that the blade is best forged without bias or thought, that the daisho of Arasou-sama were not forged with intent to be great weapons. They were made for his great grandfather by a simple smith of the lion forge, they were not warped by the pride of the smith at making a weapon for such a noble man, they were not twisted by the act of killing they would be used for, beauty and purity of thought is an ideal I believe the Doji hold dear?. Where no master could see the purity of form it the young and the free that have forged great art and artifice" he noted "and After all is the first stage of a duel clearing the mind of thought to focus on the act of the blow?" he asked the air "And then the matter can be settled, either his claims are correct or they are false, only by taking a moment to regard the truth can we know, if we leave this to blades then the original question is unanswered is it not"

2 raises if you give me storypoints

6k3 calling a raise on top of the free ones to try and back up Hiro's suggestion

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He holds up his hands, also stepping between the two men. "Peace, peace, I beg of you, honorables. Is that not the spoken intention of all present? These accusations and counter-insults do not pave a path to peace. Is it the sword or the gesture that matters, here? I believe the Crane lord has made his gesture in earnest, as a show of his dedication to the cause of harmony between the two Clans. I further believe that such an honorable man would not think to stoop to such a low trick as to try to pass off a forgery to those who would be most likely to recognize it as such. Firstly, his honor is unimpeachable. Second, he is simply not that good at bluffing."

He bows to the Daidoji, a hint of a smile on his face as he seeks to break the tension with a joke. "My forgiveness, Lord, but I have played too many games of shoji with you to believe otherwise." Straightening, he lifts three fingers. "Thirdly, my lord Doji Inejiro is no fool. This trick would be found out, sooner rather than later, and it would most assuredly sabotage whatever efforts he sought to make between the two people, and to what end? There is nothing to be gained by such subterfuge for one who wishes peace. I do not, however, believe I err in saying that there are those who would wish otherwise, for whatever reasons. Now those people -- ah, they would most certainly benefit. Meditate upon this truth, honorable assembled, before tempers flare and steel is bared again to great sorrow. Do not let yourselves fall into the trap of one of such low cunning. They believe you foolish enough to fall for such a transparent trick. I do not believe either the Crane or Lion are known for their fools."

Yet another awareness/courtier to try and keep this from devolving any further. 3 in everything.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kitsuki Ryoma

The situation had gotten even worse somehow. Now the threat of a duel loomed over the heads of the two clans. Such an action would surely nullify any chance at peace between them.

Ryoma turns to Doji.

"Doji-sama, what Ikoma-san proposes is sound. Let him, with a Crane smith of equal repute, examine the blades to try and determine their authenticity, and if they are indeed false, their origin," Ryoma says to Doji. "If it would help, I, from the Dragon clan and a neutral party in this conflict, would be more than happy to be with the smiths as they make their appraisal. The Kitsuki school has trained me to notice things that are not quite right, and I would certainly use these skills to ensure that fair play is had by all parties."

I'm gonna Awareness/Courtier to try to convince Doji to let this inspection happen with me as mediator. I'll spend a void point on it too.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
The Doji ponders Hiro’s and Kyo’s words for a long moment. "Very well," he concludes finally. “Bring Kakita Seitaro to me, and together the two smiths will examine the blades. Kitsuki-san, you will observe as well, and offer me your honest assessment. If they concur that these are not Arasou's blades, then there will be no need for a duel, and Brother Kyo’s admonishments shall be heeded. In that case, I promise you the true daisho will be found and returned, and the one who stole it will face my certain wrath.

"However, if the smiths do not reach this conclusion..." he looks meaningfully from Daidoji Eizo to Matsu Munemori.

Several servants scurry off while Asahina Kazui bows and addresses his master. "Doji-sama, if there are secrets hidden here, within the castle or within the hearts of men, I shall endeavor to be of assistance. Shall I return to you with my scrolls?"

"Hai, Asahina-san. I pray not, but I fear your insights may be sorely needed yet again."

Several uncomfortable minutes pass in silence, interrupted only by the occasional muted chuckles of Soshi Asano, who appears to be enthralled by whatever it is that he is discussing with Otomo Konoe in the corner of the room. During the respite, Takao attempts to recall his lessons from the martial history of the Lion. He does know that the Lion are nothing if not hidebound traditionalists, so a sword crafted yesterday is likely be modeled on those created for Akodo himself centuries ago. However, he recalls that the Champion’s swords were supposed to have one distinction: each has a series of characters etched into the blade, though he does not recall ever hearing exactly what those characters were or what they signified.

Finally the Asahina returns alongside the servants and a stocky Kakita, his bald pate covered with a sheen of sweat and his thick woolen kimono sporting numerous singe marks, no doubt from much time spent in close proximity to flying sparks. Kakita Seitaro places his grimy palms together in front of him as he bows deeply to the Governor. He continues to avoid eye contact as he makes his formal address. "Doji-sama, please forgive my inappropriate appearance. I was told that your summons was most urgent."

“Worry not about your appearance, Kakita-san, for you appear in the manner most appropriate to serve me, even now. A most troublesome dispute has arisen; our guests claim that the daisho which has resided here these past months is not that of Akodo Arasou, but a forgery; they claim that the true swords have been stolen in order to create a rift between us just as we have committed to peaceful resolution of our differences. We need you and Ikoma-san each to evaluate these blades and determine whether they are truly the Lion Champion’s blades, or not.”

The Master Smith may be adept at his chosen profession, but adept at navigating social situations with all eyes upon him, he is not. Licking his lips and clearing his throat, he manages to utter, “Show us the daisho, if you would, Doji-sama.”

Inejiro puts the swords carefully back into their place, then steps back as he motions Kakita Seitaro, Ikoma Taji, and Kitsuki Ryoma forward. The rest of the samurai obviously wish to crowd as close as possible, but none dare offer an affront to the Governor by placing themselves closer to the action than he is.

The Kakita nervously wipes his hands upon his kimono then takes up the katana first, drawing it from its saya and holding it up to the light. Though he speaks primarily to himself, his deep bass voice nevertheless carries throughout the hushed room. “Yes, you can see here the detail of the hamon, the temper pattern of the steel, while the shinogi possesses just the expected length. And here the burnished gold of the tsuba, and the Lion’s head pommel gracing the end of the tsuka. This weapon clearly evinces expert workmanship, and all signs point to a Lion craftsman of unparalleled skill.” He hands the weapon to Taji as he takes up the wakizashi.

“Yes, nearly identical in all respects, with the kissaki honed to a perfect taper, and the monouchi here holding its edge marvelously. This blade is most certainly twin to the other.” With that, he hands the second sword to Taji, briefly meeting the gaze of the Doji before once again lowering his eyes.

DotC, Taji knows enough to know that he’s outclassed here. If this is a forgery, it is a very good one; there is nothing obvious that would allow him to (honestly) gainsay the words of the Kakita.
mikeycp, where is Kitsuki Ryoma focusing his keen powers of observation?

Incidentally, are you all interested in seeing the actual numerical results of my computerized dice-rollin’, or would you rather I leave out that level of meta-game information, and just incorporate the results into the action? (Answers in the Recruitment thread, please, unless you've got something else to say here too.)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao stands up. "Excuse me, Kakita-san. There is no doubt that these swords were made by a skilled craftsman if they are Lion blades, but if I remember my history lessons correctly, the each of the Champion's swords have an inscription on the blade. Do the blades of these swords bear any inscription?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

This was almost too much to bear. Such an insult, but from who? The monk was correct, the Crane were not stupid and a disingenuous offer of such a thing would doubtless have resulted in another war. It would not be one the Lion made the same mistakes in prosecution. They knew that as well. Yet here they stood.

No grandfather. Perhaps he was silent on this subject. Do the blades call to you, grandfather? Does like call to like? He wondered if he was a nemurani. He had an awakened spirit relentlessly hounding him, after all. That stirs something in his memory.

"If those are true nemurani," he asks to no one in particular out loud, "would not those who can speak with such see this plainly? Not that if such a thing can be questioned it would be able to present testimony, but the very presence of such a spirit would seem to indicate the truth of things. Or the absence, as the case may be. That said, we have heard from the master," he says bowing respectfully to the Kakita. It is a genuine token of respect, they made good blades. "Let us hear from the student."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He stays silent, meditating while the smith is sent for and things are prepared for the examination of the possibly false nemurani. Once the man arrives, he stands and looks somberly on, watching the smith closely as he makes his determination. The mention of an inscription on the blade, and the observation that a shugenja should be able to tell if they were indeed nemurani, are nodded to thoughtfully, but mostly he has eyes for the big smith.

If we have half an hour I'm making a meditation/void roll to try and get some void points back. Meditation 3/Void 3 TN 20. Then watching the big guy and seeing if he's lying. Hands that of a man who works with them? Eyes shifty? Is he lying or is he telling the truth about what he sees? Int 2 or awareness 3 or perception 2 plus investigation 2. If I get any void back I'll spend one and call a raise.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kitsuki Ryoma

As the two smiths examine the sword Ryoma keeps a close eye on their movements, paying particular attention to their facial movements and reactions.

When Kakita declares it legitimate Ryoma watches how he presents his information, as well as the reaction of the Lion smith, questions him.

"Kakita-san, are you sure there are not any trademarks of these specific swords that you may perhaps be overlooking? In other words, are you completely certain that these are without a doubt the correct blades? In addition, Ikoma-san, is there any information regarding Lion blades, and these blades specifically that you could offer that might help us make a determination?"

As the men answer Ryoma continues to study their answers and the body language they use when they give it.

Roll Investigation/Perception(?) 5k3 to see if there are any inconsistencies in their words, or if their body language gives something away.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

Her jaw is sore from having clenched her teeth so tightly. From behind the crowd – not having quite enough rank or determination to elbow her way to the front, she calls out, “Nearly identical, Kakita-san?” Worth asking, of course. She does not know precisely how nemuranai function but she nods at Akodo Hiro’s suggestion – it seems sensible enough. The spirits would know, wouldn’t they?

Her eyes then search around the room, Yuri doing what no courtier would do and wandering away from the crowd. Could he have been wearing imitations when he died? Or did someone replace them here? Who would have been in this room? The Governor’s guard… As the monk meditates and watches, she walks by him, looking over even the walls and the ceiling, as if she might find suspicious footprints even there.

I can’t remember if this is an Investigation 1 + Awareness 3 roll, or if it uses Perception (2). Either way, I’d be willing to spend a void to up those meager stats.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

Briefly, Taji considers lying, and claiming the blades to be false - but it was only a brief consideration. None of the Crane would believe him over the Kakita, and there was his own reputation to consider. The blades seemed genuine - but there was the important stipulaton that Hiro had brought up.

"I cannot say anything with absolute certainty, but I agree with the most learned Kakita Seitaro-sama." Taji makes a point of giving the Master Smith a brief bow. He wanted to be in the man's good graces, after all - there was much he could learn from him, and he had the feeling that supporting him in this social turmoil would earn some goodwill. "These blades are perfectly crafted in the style of my Ancestors - they bear all the marks of being the proper blades of the Lion Clan Champion, as I know them. To my senses, this appears to be the genuine daisho in question."

"However, as Akodo Hiro-san said, there is also the issue of the spirits to consider. I must defer to the blessed judgement of Ashaina and Kitsu-samas on those, as I am no Shugenja."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

"Excuse me, but I must ask again, Taji-san. Do these swords have marks engraved on the blades as the legendary daisho are reported to have, or are they unmarked?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

Hiro wonders, idly perhaps, how long it would be before his impetuous cousins were drawn out into duels. He contemplates words that would well bring him to such a pass as well, but stays silent. Too much was on the line here for such personal concerns. Likely the monk was right, the more he thinks on it. Some third party was at work here, or more likely some poisonous party within one of their two camps. Switching the daisho, if it is what they did, was a masterstroke. Such a simple act, and things would follow from it as night followed day. It is what he would do. He also wonders at Kitsu-sama. The old fellow could be following his own path here, looking to do the work of destroying the peace process himself. He wondered idly who the man served, and what cause. Those musings should probably not remain idle long.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Doji Yuri’s Investigation Roll:
% python l5roll.py 4 3 0 1 0
> Rolling 4 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 8, Kept 6, Kept 4; Total is 18.

Kitsuki Ryoma’s Investigation Roll:
% python l5roll.py 7 3 5 1 0
> Rolling 7 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 9, Kept 9, Kept 8, Static Bonus is 5; Total is 31.

Brother Kyo does not have time to meditate; the Kakita was very prompt in response to the Governor's summons. Kyo's Investigation Roll:
% python l5roll.py 5 3 0 1 0
> Rolling 5 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 8, Kept 7, Kept 4; Total is 19.

As Yuri looks throughout the room, she observes the guard still standing silent and motionless near the stairs, and she notes the myriad other artifacts here--mostly landscape paintings and other artwork, but some Kakita-forged armor and weapons are present as well, along with an assortment of scrolls and a few other items. Apart from the stairs, the room itself has no other possible entrances or exits except for three high windows along each wall, still shuttered against the early Spring chill.

Ryoma carefully observes both of the men, looking for the “tells” of deceit just as his Kitsuki sensei had instructed. Though the Kakita is obviously uncomfortable with all the attention focused upon him, neither he nor the Ikoma give any indication that they have breathed any willful falsehood. Brother Kyo likewise observes no indication that either man is anything other than honest in his assessment.

“Doji-sama,” the Diviner of Secrets begins, “the smiths have rendered their judgement, and they have concurred. If it pleases you, I shall also attempt to Commune with the kami in the blades, though even if they are Awakened I expect they would not be willing to talk to one such as me.”

At a nod from Inejiro, the Asahina comes forward, and the Kitsu joins him. Drawing scrolls from their satchels, they each meditate in turn over the swords. After a few moments, the Kitsu gives a dismissive snort, “The fire kami within the blade know of their forging, but naught else. They have no knowledge of deeds of valor or bloody battles that the true daisho of the Champion has experienced. But this is nothing that I have not already told you all.”

Kazui offers his reply next. “It is as I feared. The kami speak of being drawn from the earth and shaped according to the will of man sometime in the past, but they do not desire to speak any further to me.” He bows respectfully to the Governor. “I regret that the words of the kami will not be of support to you as you render your judgement. To answer the question of Takao-san, however, there are these markings here on the blade, but I know not what they signify.”

“Bah, those marks signify nothing,” the Kitsu retorts. “We have already established that these blades were the work of a master craftsman, it is no surprise that the forgery encompasses even such minute details.”

As the men who had been investigating the swords end their debate, all eyes turn to the Doji, who looks as if he has just been asked to swallow an entire fugu. “As distasteful as this dispute is, the question of honor yet remains. I assume, Kitsu-san, that you are not willing to retract your accusation of forgery and deceit?”

“That is correct, Doji-sama.”

“Very well. Matsu-san has declared his willingness to be your champion, while Daidoji-san shall be the one to defend my honor. They shall duel at dawn tomorrow, unless anyone has further words that might resolve this conflict...?”

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

Something breaks in Hiro. This was not how men were supposed to act. This was a parody of court, a sad reflection of what ought to be. "Is this how you would honor the peace?" Hiro asks out loud. "This will not stand," he says plainly. "When last the Lion left this place with their champion slain, they returned under the banner of peace and reconciliation. If Matsu-sama is victorious, what then? Proven deceitful will the true steel be produced? No. If Daidoji-san wins the day and our champion lies dead, do you think the Lion will come to the gates in peaceful honor a second time?"

He shakes his head. "No, from this will flow a river of blood. No justice will be served, no peace won." He turns to the Kitsu, "Kitsu, you speak of forgeries, and I believe it true by your word. Yet can you see the heart of the man before you and know of his deceit? No. Some unseen mover has placed his shogi tiles thus, knowing the rules to which we the pieces on the table are bound to follow the movements by which we are compelled. Yet we are men, honorable samurai. We are no mute tiles, to be pushed by hands we can not comprehend. Honorable Doji-sama, I have read the words of Lady Doji, the word by which the actions of men can be made civil and the earth nourished with the toil of peasants rather than the blood of the noble and proud. I am but a child in the study of such manners, but if you truly believe she would smile at the happy dance of court, her masterwork, being used to spill the blood of those who bear her name then allow this madness to continue. But if not, we as samurai must find another way."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

"An astude Idea Hiro-san" he spoke "Like when Lady Rangiku of the Unicorn was drawn into conflict with the Phoenix Lord Shiko" he paused for a moment, realising the room was not as obsessed with literature as he was "A Ronin took her most prized horse, selling it to the Lord while he posed as a trader, so when the lady spent her time in the court of the Lord she saw her property, stolen and presented as his own. Of course there was no record of a sale, but the lord hadn't left the wall of the city for the year, and blood was spilled before the deceit could be realised" he said clearly. "Kitsu-san, can you say you would be satisfied simply by a duel and not by finding the truth?" he asked "Doji-sama, I have seen the wish for peace in your words and heart, it speaks even to my fellow lion... can we not find honor and peace without the blades we work so hard to keep sheathed?"

1 raise on 6k3 storytelling
2 on the Actual social roll (7k3)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao listens to Hiro and Shinakio, and thinks for a minute, then he says,

"Hiro-san, with respect, I think you and Shinakio-san are mistaken. Both of you are seeking to to make this a question of whether the swords are real or false, but this is no longer about the swords. It has become a question of honor. If Kitsu-sama says that the swords are not real, then I must accept his judgement. This is something he knows more about than I do. He is a Kitsu, and more in touch with the kami than I will ever be."

Takao shrugs.

"But at this point, whether the swords are actually real or not is a secondary point to the matter at hand. Kitsu-sama has made an accusation, which he will not retract. It is within Doji-sama's right to demand satisfaction. In fact, what Samurai could do otherwise? If he does not do so, then he concedes the truth of the accusation. As for Kitsu-sama, Doji-sama has called either his competence as a shugenja or his honesty into play, and will not retract his claim. His honor is also at stake, and if he allows that statement to go unchallenged, he says that he is either a liar or a fool, and Kitsu-sama is neither a liar or a fool. As it is, I don't even know if incontrovertible proof that these swords are either real or fake would counter the necessity of a duel.

"So, you see,a duel can't be helped."

Ett/Aware 4d2 to convincingly lay out my argument regarding the necessity of a duel.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

Well, this was going to end about as well as anything when honor was involved. Poorly. The Lion that just spoke wasn't exactly eager to help smooth things over, it seemed. "My lord, I would beg for a bit more time if both parties must insist on dueling. Three days. There is no need to rush to duel over this slight, and in the meantime something may well come up that changes minds on one or both sides." He bows low. "The Little Teacher said 'I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.' Let us embrace patience, that all might be made clear. Every hasty decision is met with regret at one's leisure."

If we can't avoid a duel altogether, let's stall shall we? Courtier 3/Etiquette 3/Awareness 3

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

It would not have been easy to get in here – she does not rule out the possibility the swords may have been swapped long ago, before even being brought here. Perhaps the Akodo didn’t trust the city enough to wear his real heirlooms. Or perhaps Eizo knows something – perhaps his ardent objections conceal another motive. That would be difficult to prove. The sword were nemuranai, but powerful enough to steal?

Yuri wanders the chamber a little more, conversing with the current guard over small talk while her eyes roam over the entrance – eventually, they come to focus on the windows above, shuttered as they are. If they had been opened recently after enduring a season’s worth of shuttering, there would be signs. Could someone really infiltrated this place like that? It seems unfathomable, almost humorous, imagining some ronin or Scorpion agent climbing through windows and leaping around.

Her uncharacteristically deep thoughts are interrupted by boisterous claims from the court – and she returns to the fold, hands on her hips and a disapproving frown fixed on her face. She nods in agreement with Brother Kyo once more – she rather likes him, and wishes she’d known him before he’d sworn himself away. “I concur – in a fashion. Brother Kyo speaks to Shinsei’s teachings of the heart and the core of morality. But Akodo Takao-san speaks to ethics and code and to the foundational structures of our Empire’s society. “

“Were we soldiers, Takao-san would be correct and we would have to adhere to the code of Bushido. Were we monks or heimin, we would need nothing more than the Little Teacher’s words to govern our lives. But we are samurai and must submit to both.”

There is some hesitation, Yuri looks for her mentor, unsure if the woman had followed them here –she would like some guidance on what she is proposing. “I believe there may be a middle path. Unquestionably, the fate of the daisho is the true matter at stake here. It should take precedence. Our honor and our accusations mean a great deal to all of us personally – but relative to our clans, they matter little next to the location of the true weapons and the success of this festival.“

“So the issue of insults and accusations, while they cut deep to a person, are a minor issue.” She glances to Matsu Munemori, then to Eizo, “I would suggest instead, if there must be a duel, let it be a minor duel between minor parties. At this point, honorable combat between Eizo-sama and Munemori-sama would only make matters worse.”

She bows her head, “But if I have overstepped my place – forgive me.”

Would this be Etiquette or Courtier? Regardless, both are 6k3. Maybe Sincerity 2?

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 27, 2011

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kitsuki Ryoma

"It is most unfortunate that it has come to this," Ryoma says, "But I implore you, if there must be a duel I believe it would be most wise to postpone it until after the conclusion of the festival."

Ryoma glances at both parties and continues, "You will not hear me say anything to bring down the importance of justice or honor, but peace, the peace that this festival is here to promote, is also of paramount importance. So, if there is no other way to settle this besides a duel then so be it. Just wait so that the Festival of Peace, as well as this city, should not be marred by more bloodshed."

Ryoma sighs. "It is a pity such matters can not be settled by a game of Go, or the like. Truly a pity."

Courtier/Awareness roll 6k3 to try and help convince them to stall the duel.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Behold the sublime beauty that is the Bayushi Courtier:
“When you are making a Contested Social Roll against someone else, you gain a Free Raise to your roll for every 3 points of Mental or Social Disadvantages (s)he possesses.”

“A most inspired bit of rhetoric, Yuri-chan; truly you follow in the greatest traditions of your Clan’s talented wordsmiths,” a voice not previously heard now offers. As one, those present turn toward the corner occupied by...Soshi Asano.

“And you could no doubt one day be as smart as you are pretty, if you bothered to put as much effort into learning as you do wondering whether your hideous new kimono clashes with your captivating eyes. But for the time being, I urge you to shut that comely mouth of yours, before it gets you into trouble again--like that time when you couldn’t help but share with everyone how impatient you were with the hapless Daidoji-sama, when he was understandably beside himself with fear for his poor misplaced child. Oh, but let’s not sully the good name of the Protector of the Court by rehashing such an unfortunate faux pas, shall we? Instead, let us give you the opportunity to learn from your betters...

“Now then: your premise is utterly flawed, and if the source from which your reasoning flows is corrupted, then we dare not drink of its waters, no matter how alluring they may be to souls thirsty for an easy resolution to this conflict. This is about so much more than merely the disposition of the daisho. It may be a commendable thing to honorably suffer an insult to one’s person, but do you truly expect Doji-sama to be seen backing away from his former strong resolve, and preventing these righteous and sincere bushi from settling this matter when the honor of their very Ancestors and their Clan is at stake? How the face of a daimyo would suffer if he were to condone such a thing among even his lowliest servants!”

Yuri’s Courtier roll (including Benten’s Blessing):
$ python l5roll.py 6 4 0 1 0
> Rolling 6 dice and Keeping 4 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 13, Kept 5, Kept 4, Kept 4; Total is 26.
Alas, Soshi Asano easily overcomes this with his own Courtier (Manipulation) roll; he doesn’t even need the three Free Raises he gets due to Yuri’s Disadvantages.

“And as for the words of young Hiro and young Shinakio; I implore you, Doji-sama, to forgive their naivete. I am certain they mean well, but you and I--and even Takao, whose keen insight, alas, exceeds his ability to express it--know that such romantic notions dressed up in much verbiage serve only to obscure the cold, hard reality we must face. Some may be able to entertain qualms when faced with the prospect of striking out at their enemies, but we do not all have the luxury of a devoted spouse to soften for us the harsh conflicts that Duty requires we sometimes face.

“Or consider this little tale, all of you: no one expected Doji-sama to offer the blades to the Lion; such an act was inconceivable to all of us. And upon his proclamation of the gift, we all dutifully marched directly here. Now perhaps, upon learning of Doji-sama’s intentions, a thief first made off with the true blades, then forged these new blades in their likeness, tempered them to perfection, made his way back into the fortress past innumerable watchful guards, placed the new blades just so for us to find, and then mysteriously disappeared, all in the span of the twelve breaths that it took the Court to walk here from the Floor of Splendid Viewing!

“In my time, I have heard many a tale blaming failure or incompetence on ‘ninja’ or the like, but this proposed feat is beyond even the wildest fabrications that have been leveled at these fairy-story villains! So the idea that somehow the swords were taken long ago in a plot to cause a rift between your two clans is ridiculous.”

Takao’s Etiquette roll:
$ python l5roll.py 4 2 0 1 0
> Rolling 4 dice and Keeping 2 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 8, Kept 5; Total is 13.
That is a failure, but never fear! Soshi Asano has Takao’s back, as it were.

Hiro’s Courtier roll:
$ python l5roll.py 6 3 0 1 0
> Rolling 6 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 9, Kept 8, Kept 5; Total is 22.
Soshi Asano has no trouble exceeding this total on his own roll.

Shinakio’s Storytelling roll:
> Rolling 6 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 16, Kept 8, Kept 8, Static Bonus is 0; Total is 32, giving one FR to the subsequent Courtier Roll.
Shinakio’s Courtier roll (including Benten’s Blessing):
$ python l5roll.py 7 4 5 1 0
> Rolling 7 dice and Keeping 4 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 12, Kept 11, Kept 8, Static Bonus is 5; Total is 36.
With his three raises due to Shinakio’s Mental/Social Disadvantages, Soshi Asano defeats him as well.

“And finally, Doji-sama, far be it from me to speak ill of your esteemed Kitsuki colleague, or of one of the Little Teacher’s siblings. It pains me to speak thus, but in my humble opinion, Ryoma thinks a bit too highly of his own abilities, while failing to grasp the true gravity of the situation. And to the so-called wisdom of your pet monk, I have three things to say as well: complexity, action, and duty. I say complexity, because I am afraid that Brother Kyo’s time away from the world has led him down a false path. For how can one who has renounced the world to chase after simplicity, one with such admirably single-minded focus on peace and spiritual enlightenment, know the true and complex nature of the hearts of feeble men? The Noble Brother asks for more time, but to stay your hand now, Doji-sama, feeds only a vain false hope--and at what cost? Inaction can be more harmful than action, when decisiveness is required. And so I say: Action!”

“Now then, Doji-sama, I urge you to uphold your word and to fulfill your Duty. For if you forsake it, then what remains to you? These men and women flitting and stomping about your court have asked you to turn from the cause of justice and honor, a matter on which you yourself have already proclaimed judgement. What will your Court think, what will your enemies think, what will your esteemed Imperial guest think, if you vomit forth such weakness in their presence?”

Kitsuki Ryoma's Courtier roll:
> Rolling 6 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 8, Kept 6, Kept 6; Total is 20.
It will come as no surprise that Soshi Asano handily out-Courtiers the Kitsuki.

Brother Kyo’s Courtier roll (including Benten’s Blessing):
$ python l5roll.py 6 4 0 1 0
> Rolling 6 dice and Keeping 4 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 23, Kept 19, Kept 7, Kept 4; Total is 53.
Despite a phenomenal three explosions on Kyo’s Roll, the two Free Raises that Soshi Asano receives against Kyo give him a total greater than 53 on his own Courtier roll--but just barely. And so...

His scathing words ended, Soshi Asano falls silent, and directs his attention not to Doji Inejiro, but to the Imperial Courtier next to him. Though he says nothing, Otomo Konoe’s expression clearly indicates his displeasure at the fiasco that Doji-sama’s Festival of Peace has become. But as the silence lengthens, Inejiro still cannot bear to meet the contempt-filled gaze of Konoe. Finally, defeated, he utters, “Yes, there shall be a duel, and it shall be between Matsu Munemori and Daidoji Eizo. And it shall be the day after tomorrow, at noon.” He holds up a hand to forestall the expected protest, “Yes, Soshi-san, I have heard your concerns, and valid as they are, Brother Kyo’s words have merit as well. I do not believe that justice and honor shall be denied if these two men are given a day more to prepare to face one another, and possibly, their Ancestors.

This is my final decision. I shall brook no further argument."

With those closing words, Doji Inejiro turns on his heel and stalks to the stairs, and in his wake the Festival of Peace is in utter disarray. After a brief pause and an exchange of glances, his yojimbo and his court shugenja silently follow him, while the rest of the court mills about, disquieted and uncertain.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 27, 2011

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

She seethes impotently. Her teeth grit and grind behind smiling lips and an otherwise blank-but-pleasant expression, albeit with slightly flushed cheeks. All she manages is a chilly greeting sopping with venom, “So glad you could join us, Soshi-san, and impart your considerable insight.” Hideous? This coming from a man who knows only two shades of red and uses more black than the entire dread court of Fu Leng. She tries not to even think about the condescending, dismissive and downright insulting words that didn't pertain to fashion. Being talked to like some... some.. vapid... AGH! Her eyes squint suddenly and she has to fight to keep from crushing her fan in her hands when the near physical pain strikes her mind.

She stands powerless as the court unravels in front of her, as per Asano’s carefully dictated instructions. And all she can do is linger, with that bitter, sour feeling coursing through her veins, like she’d just been cheated at shogi. The dejected Doji stands quietly amidst the milling court and focuses on a point on the ground in front of her.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 27, 2011

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He watches, outwardly placid, as the Scorpion comes out of nowhere and with silver tongue and deceitful words, plays upon every weakness of the major players present. Bowing low to the Daidoji lord's proclamation, he reflects bitterly, Well. At least now we know who wishes the war to continue. Whether it was for Scorpion aims of which he knows little, or the man's own petty grasping aspirations, he knows not, nor does it truly matter.

Soshi Asano has marked himself as an enemy of the Way.

Shaking his head with a sigh, he moves over towards the windows to get a breath of air, then looks back at the gathered court thoughtfully, then closer to the windows, something the Scorpion had said bringing to mind the superstitions of the peasants, with their tales of ninja. He opens each, as if to let fresh air into the trophy room, looking over the sills for any sign of disturbance. Ninja may not exist, but there are those that find it easy enough to walk with the air kami, much as he does the water.

Int 2 + investigation 2 to see what's up with the windows if anything.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao looks at the Scorpion giving his support. Soshi Asano was right, there was no doubt of that, but Takao also knew that, for all their claims, the Scorpion didn't really care very much for honor. "So, he must have some other game." Takao wracks his memory to see what he can remember of Soshi Asano. Is this someone who's known around Rokugan?

Using Lore:Heraldry/Int, 4k3

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Takao's Lore:Heraldry/Intelligence roll:
$ python l5roll.py 4 3 0 1 0
> Rolling 4 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 8, Kept 7, Kept 5; Total is 20.

Soshi Asano does not have Glory (or is it Infamy?) 6 or higher, so Takao has not heard of him specifically before now. But given the icy--or even malevolent--stares he receives from any number of Cranes, I'm sure many of them have some knowledge of his past (mis)deeds. They might even be more than happy to inform Takao of them, for if there's anything a Lion and a Crane could agree on, even now, it is that the Scorpion are venal, corrupt, and dishonorable double-crossing scum.

Kyo's Investigation/Perception roll:
$ python l5roll.py 4 2 0 1 0
> Rolling 4 dice and Keeping 2 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 12, Kept 8; Total is 20.

Brother Kyo notices nothing particularly amiss with the windows or their sills--no conspicuous muddy footprints or signs of forced entry. He does, however, notice that the rain has started up again, along with a brisk wind that threatens to carry unwanted precipitation in to damage the various precious artworks and artifacts located nearby.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 27, 2011

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

For once, Hiro and his grandfather were in perfect accord. Even the most lowly peasant knew that if a stump ruined the field, it must be removed for the betterment of all. Hiro thinks on these things, remaining silent. The time for discussion had passed. The time to find the gardening shed had come.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

He looked to hiro for a moment and stepped past him "I think I need to recoup my wits after such a taxing day" he said "I am not well suited so such chaos I think, you however seem far more apt"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Akodo holds the fan up to his face and whispers to a Crane bushi next to him, "Who is this Soshi Asano? It may be right that there is a duel for the sake of honor, but Scorpions as a rule care nothing for honor. Who is he and what game does he play, do you know?"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He takes a deep breath, then sighs slowly, looking out over the sodden grounds and dreary sky. It well matches even his usually-indefatigable mood. The rain, however, is not likely to be appreciated by the Crane, so he closes the shutters again after a good breath of invigorating cold air is allowed to sweep through room. A humble attempt to brighten the place after such bad omens, but a genuine one.

He at least feels a bit clearer-headed. Moving to the daisho, he looks upon it thoughtfully for a time. He knows nothing of blades or their manufacture, has never actually wielded such, or even touched one, and he wasn't about to start now. "It is a mystery to me," he murmurs, "how such a little thing can move clans to bring down kingdoms."

Whether he talks of the swords, or the honor of their wielders, is for the listener to decide.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

She responds to the Akodo, “That man… If he were not a Scorpion, he would be a rat. The man is only here as poison. All he has ever been. I proved it before, in front of the whole court – but one without shame cannot be embarrassed, and one without credit cannot be discredited. ”

The Doji is not a proper courtier and proves as much by actually stammering over her words, “I’m sick of his… insinuations. Such things he says - but calling him to answer for them only makes him bolder and prouder.”

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

Seeing that his comrade was of the same mind, Taji again whispers to him.

"The Soshi hides his guilt behind itself. Cunning - but not cunning enough, maybe?" Taji watches and listens while he speaks, trying to think of a way to deal with the problem. "The nail that sticks up is hammered down, as the wisdom of the Eta goes. Do you have a hammer, Hiro-san?"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kitsuki Ryoma

Ryoma turns sharply to the Scorpion.

"Who are you to say such things, Soshi-san? And another question, as you seem to continue to goad these two men to duel immediately, why are you here? We were called here to promote peace, and it is peace that we shall have."

Ryoma was becoming more and more upset. He had heard about the Scorpion and their ways. He believed that, even with their shadowy ways and supposed poison tongues, they had a place in the world. Ryoma finds that this example of a Scorpion fits that place perfectly, and it is a piece he begins to wish didn't exist.

"Tell me, Soshi-san. Why do you come to a festival for the sake of peace only to demand bloodshed in the face of alternate avenues of conflict resolution?" Ryoma asks sharply. "It would seem to me that you desire anything BUT peace, which might suggest that you may know more about this debacle of blades than you are letting on."

I'm gonna roll an Investigation/Perception 6k3 with a void point thrown in to interrogate this jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

His face behind the fan, Takao answers Yuri. "That is often the way with the Scorpion. They take pride in their impudence. But do you know anything about this one in particular?"

• Locked thread