Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Akodo Hiro

Behind his fan, quietly, "We have had many lessons in manners and duty tonight, I believe the Soshi is correct, we would do well to remember them. We are samurai, my brother. We were not made to pound nails. Our hands were meant for other work, and perhaps there is such for us tonight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As the majority of the Court begins to file out of the room, a steady stream of gossip and innuendo streaming from behind their fans, Soshi Asano feigns a concerned look in response to the Kitsuki's caustic words. "Why Ryoma-san--such insinuations! Does this mean we're not friends anymore?

"If I tell you I stole the swords, you may believe me; if I tell you I did not, you will most likely think me a liar. So what does it benefit me to answer you at all?

"We have a saying in Ryoko Owari: 'If you wish to get away with murder, simply have your “little sister” do it.' One need not painstakingly conceal the nature of a crime; one need only worry about that which cannot point to someone else. And in this instance, it seems that the Scorpion are once again a convenient 'Little Sister'." He heaves a sigh, as if he were the most unfortunate, put-upon individual ever to walk the face of Rokugan.

"In truth," he continues, "I care neither way for the duel, apart from the slight amusement I may gain from watching the spectacle. I simply pointed out the truth of Doji-sama's faltering resolve; in the end he himself chose to seek the life of of the Lion delegation's head, albeit by another’s hand. It would not be the first time that Inejiro-sama has let others do his violence for him.

"And now, if you will excuse me..." He offers the most formal, polite bow Ryoma has ever seen, then turns his back on the Kitsuki and addresses his yojimbo waiting patiently nearby. "Come, Sozuka-san. Let us seek our entertainment elsewhere." With that, the Scorpion make their exit as well.

After a brief consultation with Kitsu Gojiro, Matsu Munemori announces to the Lion, "Come, let us go. We have business to which we must attend."

I hope I didn't cut off anyone's discussions, but it seems like time to move on.

5 XP each for Hiro, Takao, Kyo, and Ryoma, 4 XP each for Shinakio and Yuri, 3 XP for Taji.
Yuri also gets -3 Glory due to Soshi Asano pointing out her Rumormongering nature to the entire court. However, she may also gain 3 more XP if she takes Sworn Enemy: Soshi Asano.
+2 Honor each for Shinakio and Yuri for showing Sincere Courtesy to their enemies or rivals, and +2 Honor to Kyo for her (very nearly successful) efforts at promoting peace among the feuding clans. -2 Honor to Takao for Enduring an Insult to his Clan.

I'll be traveling from now until Saturday night; I'll have internet access, but posts may be...intermittent, at best.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 28, 2011

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Once the Lion have returned to their estate, Matsu Munemori calls them all together once again. However, it is Kitsu Gojiro who speaks. He first intones a prayer to the kami, and immediately the air within the room grows heavy, as if the spirits have ceased all motion. Confident in the success of his invocation, he then addresses the assembled men, his half-blind gaze sweeping over them. "While Munemori-sama and I are not overly concerned for our fate with regard to the impending duel, we still must know if the daisho of Akodo Arasou is within the castle, or if it has been spirited away elsewhere. I suspect Doji Inejiro knows more than he is saying, but direct confrontation with him will not go any better in the future than it has already.

"Daimyo Matsu Tsuko is many things, but she is not foolish. She sent to the Crane an arthritic, nearly sightless shugenja and a lame, upjumped taisa--alas Matsu-sama, it is the truth--in hopes that we would fail, despite Akodo Toturi-sama's express wishes. It seems she was not far off in her assessment, for thus far we have been far too blunt and forthright, and we have gotten nowhere." As his misty-colored eyes settle on Taji and Hiro, he continues, "I do not know what the Crane’s goals are, but you all will have to be far more subtle as you seek to discover them, hard as that may be for such upright and honorable souls. Munemori-sama and I will likely be unable to move about the castle freely, and as the formal representatives of the Lion, we must be perceived as holding to the strictest dictates of courtesy towards our guests.

"We therefore leave it to you all to determine amongst yourselves what is the best course of action to reclaim our stolen nemuranai and maintain the honor of the Lion Clan. The only sure advice I have for all of you would be that of Akodo One-Eye himself: know where your sword is--always.”

++++
Later that evening, Doji Inejiro summons Brother Kyo, Doji Yuri, and Kitsuki Ryoma to his personal quarters within the fortress. When they arrive, they find him engaged in a game of shogi with Daidoji Eizo. His cautious approach has currently left him severely outmatched against his opponent's aggressive style of play. As a servant announces the arrival of the trio, he looks up from his game with some relief, and stands to greet them, "Excellent. Thank you for joining us--would you like tea? Sake? I have a matter that I wished to discuss with you, without any Lion or...others present." with this he gestures to the mats that have been set out for the trio.

Once the servant has provided drinks and bowed his way out, the three take their places and Inejiro begins. "Ryoma-san, did you notice anything unusual about Kakita-san when he was inspecting the swords? It seemed to me that the words of his evaluation were almost...rehearsed."

At this the Daidoji also looks up from considering his next move and pays much closer attention to his master as he continues, "Kakita Seitaro holds no love for the Lion, but he is a loyal servant, and I do not believe he would lie to me, no matter what the circumstances. But I do still wonder what, if anything, he may be hiding. And so I would that you seek him out and...request further clarification of his initial assessment of the daisho. As you do so, I must stress that, though you will be acting with my full support and authority, Kakita Seitaro is a samurai from a fine and honorable line, and is not to be accused or confronted like any common lawbreaker.”

He takes a sip of his sake, then directs his next words to Yuri specifically. “One final matter, Doji-san. It is my wish that you, as Protector of the Court, display to all the strength that accompanies the gentility the Crane. I desire you to be fully armed and armored as you carry out these duties.

“Now, have any of you a question for me before you are dismissed?"

Everybody feel free to strategerize while I'm incommunicado...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

"My lord," the monk begins after waving away the offers of tea and sake, "is there any way, any time during which these blades might have been spirited away without your knowledge or the knowledge of the Crane?"

buying the great silence for 5xp

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
It is Daidoji Eizo who offers a response to Brother Kyo's question. "There is an honor guard upon the Floor of Skilled Artistry at all times. It would be practically impossible for someone to sneak past them into the room undetected, and they certainly would not have allowed someone to leave with the daisho.

"Nevertheless, if my lord commands it, I would be willing to question all the guards who have served on that Floor since the swords were placed there."

Oracle, you are aware that The Great Silence requires an attack, yes? Shutting up, say, the Soshi in such fashion in open court may be considered...gauche. And perhaps even grounds for a duel, if he is so inclined.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kitsuki Ryoma

"I did not notice anything strange about the Kakita, other than he seemed to be uncomfortable with both Brother Kyo's and my presence." Ryoma says to the governor. "However, I will try to remember if I may have seen anything else that could give us a clue. Also, This incident has made me realize that learning some in the way of weaponcraft could be useful in the future. Doji-sama, do you perhaps have any materials on the subject that I may study?"

Roll Int+Precise Memory to fish Ryoma's memory banks for any sliver of useful information. I would also like to spend 1XP and buy 1 point in Lore:Weaponcraft, if you'll allow it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"It would seem, Kitsu-sama," Hiro says sipping the sake he seemed to have to hand, "that it would be even better to know where the swords of others are as well, for that is the dilemma. Perhaps a night to retreat and meditate on this in solitude would be in order. Maybe the morning light will bring better news." This is said completely flatly, with no inflection.

Raising Sincerity to 3

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He bows. "I do not believe that will be necessary, Daidoji Eizo-sama," he says. "Obviously this means the swords were switched before they reached the place of honor. The real question is, who could have created such magnificent forgeries?" He muses, glancing at the Lion as each speak in turn. "Are there any among the Crane here with such skill? The smith tonight seemed to think he himself was less than capable."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Ikoma Taji

"I will try my best, Kitsu-sama - but I am a simple sword smith." Taji thinks for a moment, but retains Hiro's featureless expression. "Tomorrow I will try to speak to Kakita-sama again about those swords. And I think that it might be a good idea for some of us to speak to the representatives from other clans who are here - they will be more willing to speak to us, I think."

"But first, Hiro-san has the right idea. We all should rest - it has been a long few days, physically and spiritually, and I think that we are all without balance at the moment."

If I kill other players, do I get their XP? L5R is like Highlander, right? If so, ya'll better lock your doors and/or windows. (They're made of paper, it's not gonna help)

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

She is still suitably embarrassed by the Soshi, alternating from despair over her own failings to anger at the Scorpion for pointing them out as such in front of the rest of the court. Her head stays bowed in the governor’s presence, and with the specific instruction to bear arms, she nods her head. “It will be as you say, Inejiro-sama.”

As for the investigation, she waits cautiously before adding her own thoughts, “Kakita Seitaro seemed forgivably nervous – he is not a typical attendant of the Court, and his appearance was disheveled. The circumstances of his summoning would make any man nervous.” There is a pause. “But it is worth asking. I, myself, am curious – he said the blades were nearly identical. But he did not specify how they might differ.”

It is difficult for her to even think of the name she says next but against her judgment, she looks to Brother Kyo, the Kitsuki and the Crane lords, “Whatever his other failings, Soshi Asano’s words did mention something that had concerned me. What if the swords themselves, rather than the peace of this festival, were the objective of a thief? The weapons were said to be nemuranai, but from what I understand, some nemuranai are much greater than others – great enough to be worth stealing.”

Begrudgingly, she suggests a similarly less-palatable notion, “Perhaps it would be worth it to speak to one of the Ikoma, or a scholar with similar knowledge who might know more of the Akodo’s daisho.” There is another question she wishes to ask – but to ask in the governor’s presence would be… improper at best. What was the true nature of Akodo Arasou’s death? How precisely did it happen, and who exactly was involved?
I’ll pick up Singing, as we talked about before the game started. Yuri took lessons from her instructor’s superb performance in court.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

The Kitsu wanted the swords found, Hiro wanted the Soshi dead. That the Crane had not required the creature to immediately answer for his words was strange. So the Soshi would live another night, and perhaps he and his brother in the Shadow would take a late night constitutional.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

"I would suggest that perhaps the Soshi knows more about the theft of the swords than he lets on? You know the saying, 'Always suspect a Scorpion'."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

Hiro pulls Taji aside, speaking in low tones. "Perhaps we ought to take a night time constitutional. I fear my ability to meditate has been addled, perhaps some fresher air is in order."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

"I think I shall stay at home" he said "I hope you find the answers in your meditation Hiro-san" he said, this was the Akodo's battleground and he seemed to know it well.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

"I always take a brisk walk at night, cousin. One must prepare one's legs for long marches, after all."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"We would do well to find where our other guests are staying, the better to pay our respects when the time comes due. Perhaps some helpful soul will show us the way to the swords as well," Hiro says as the two seclude themselves.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As he reflects on the events of earlier in the day, Kitsuki Ryoma remembers one aspect of Kakita Seitaro's appearance that seemed somewhat out of place in retrospect. Though he apparently came directly from the forges, he was wearing a curious bit of adornment beneath his outer kimono, for Ryoma could see a supple, sky-blue silken thong looping around his neck and disappearing beneath his robes. It is unclear what, if anything, was attached to the cord, but it could not have been very large (perhaps a few inches in any dimension), nor very firm, otherwise it would have made a noticeable bulge beneath the Kakita's garments.

Doji Inejiro responds to the Kitsuki's inquiry first. "If you wish to learn the craft of swordmaking, I encourage you to spend time observing Seitaro himself, though I do not expect he will permit you to lift a hammer in his workshop without extensive training. Or, should you wish a more...philosophical approach to the subject, I shall appoint a scribe to acquaint you with the Floor of Skilled Artistry, wherein lies an illuminated version of Kakita's The Sword. Our copy dates from before the return of the Ki-Rin Clan, and to my recollection there is at least one full treatise on (and several other passing references to) the creation of weapons suitable for a samurai.

Lore: Weaponsmithing seems like an unusual Skill to just acquire out of the blue, but if Ryoma takes some in-game time at the forges or with the scroll, he can have Craft: Weaponsmithing 1 or Lore: Weaponsmithing 1. However, doing either of these right now might not be the most appropriate course of action for a samurai given a task by his lord...

Next, Inejiro turns his attention to Kyo's questions. "Of course Seitaro-san works alongside several journeymen and apprentice smiths, though none match his skill. He is most humble in regard to his own abilities, but it is my assessment that he will ever be known as one of the finest swordsmiths of his generation.

"As for his assessment that the swords were nearly identical, apart from the obvious differences of size and shape between a katana and a wakizashi, it is my understanding that there are always slight differences between any two swords, even those forged side-by-side from the same raw ore. If he meant anything beyond that...well, you shall have to ask him yourself.

And I suppose it is possible that the swords themselves would be targeted by some thief, but again, the ever-present guards would have raised the alarm if the daisho had been tampered with in any way. And my Diviner of Secrets tells me that there are...additional wards upon the room itself, given the myriad priceless artifacts displayed there.

"If you wish to learn more about the Lion's perspective on these swords, and why they might--sincerely or insincerely--believe these to be forgeries, I urge you to speak to them yourselves. Kitsu Gojiro, Ikoma Shinakio, Ikoma Taji and Akodo Takao all seemed knowledgeable about their Clan and its tools of war. But should you wish to converse further with them, bear in mind the accusations that they made against me earlier today, and be on guard, for they may still be plotting further disruptions to our fragile peace."

If you have no more questions, feel free to head out to the smithy, or wherever you wish to go next.

++++

As the two Shadows begin their evening constitutional about the castle, Takao begins another shift of guard duty. All seems quiet, apart from the occasional noise of travelers on the highway below, and the incessant striking of hammer on anvil from the smithy. Meanwhile, Shinakio returns to the estate and his waiting wife.

"Oh, Shinakio-kun, how awful things are!" Hinamori exclaims once her husband returns to her. "It is most unfortunate what transpired during the ceremony. Afterward, I even heard the Tsume guards here muttering to themselves about the 'flea-bitten cats in our midst, talking honor but insulting our lord nonetheless'. I think they intended me to hear them, and I fear they think me some kind of traitor to my Clan because of our union."

Taji, Hiro, do you have any particular destination in mind for your late-night stroll? Perhaps some shady bower where the two of you can play 'hide the katana' with one another? Otherwise, there are various servants, ashigaru, or tea-house okasans that would be inclined to give you information with the right application of Courtier (Gossip) or Temptation; feel free to find yourselves a conversation partner.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kitsuki Ryoma

"Doji-sama," Ryoma says. "I do remember one thing. Kakita-san had something...unusual around his neck. I couldn't see what it was exactly, as it was hidden beneath his robes, but it was held around him by a sky-blue cord. Do you have any idea what this could be?"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He bows low to the lord, murmuring, "I believe this is wise. If you will excuse me, Doji inijiro-sama..."

Goin' go talk to the smith

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

"It is hard for people to show politeness so close to a war, even between former allies" he said with a soothing smile "Like two men who have spend their whole lives fighting, it is hard for the two clans to accept eachother gracefully" he spoke with a sad smile "But enough of the clan, all that matters is that I love you with all my heart" he said

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hiro

Hiro straps on his daisho as they head out; asked to keep track of his sword he could not get more specific than on his hip. "I would favor a scouting action, my brother," he says to Taji. "We should find the lay of the land, both in terms of where the others are staying and where the more important things are. Perhaps a bit of conversation with servants or petty ashigaru; doubtless they would have thoughts even if loyalty to their masters prevents a more detailed reckoning. If we find a likely fellow, perhaps a few koku will steer his mind?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao makes an extra effort to remain alert for guard duty. With the increased tensions leading from the Kitsu's accusations and the Governor's response, he knows that it is more likely than ever that hotheads might make a response, or, that the governor might decide to respond to the accusations by silencing the Kitsu. He also decides to himself to check out the smithy when he's done with his guard duty. If these were forged weapons, they likely would have been made there.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
“Are you referring to something like this, Kitsuki-san?” Inejiro inquires as he removes just such a cord from around his own neck. Hanging from the bottom is a stylized peacock worked in silver, its tail a small but brightly-colored true feather plucked from one of the creatures. “This is a tsangusuri, a fetish crafted by my Diviner of Secrets. Peacocks are most sociable creatures, and so this particular fetish is a means to invoke the blessing of Benten upon its wearer, that the Fortune would favor such a one with glibness of tongue and assurance of speech. In fact, my Diviner is currently attempting to awaken the spirits within the mantle of feathers I wear on all Occasions of State, that such a blessing might permanently rest upon me, but for the time being these temporary blessings suffice. I was not aware that Kazui-san had crafted some manner of fetish for Seitaro-san, but it would not surprise me that he had sought a favor from my priest to assist him in his noble efforts to create works of art worthy of his family's name.”

Take your time if you have more questions; Inejiro is perfectly willing to postpone another thrashing from Eizo on the shogi board. But if you are done, we'll move on to the trio's visit to the smith.

“I love you with all of my heart as well,” Hinamori replies to Shinakio, “But what if hostilities resume? What then will become of us?” She is somewhat comforted by Shinakio's gentle words, but it is clear she is not yet fully relieved of her anxieties.

Hiro will not have to travel far to find willing interlocutors. The estate is located in the Visitors’ Quarter of the castle, which includes a sake house and a geisha house in addition to various other estates and even a few temples. From the central square, he can discern the sound of guttural chanting wafting from the temple to the north, observe a few servants moving about (apparently on their masters' business) amongst the estates to the west, catch the strains of gentle music from the geisha house to the south, and hear intermittent raucous outbursts of off-duty men-at-arms from the sake house to the east. And of course, over it all is the sound of the smith at his forge and, occasionally, a barked order from a gunso still on duty at one of the many guard posts scattered along the walls of the castle.

What’s your pleasure? Just don’t stand about too long, or you’re liable to be eaten by a grue.

The first hours of Takao’s guard duty are utterly uneventful. The traffic around the city dies down as the evening progresses, until only a few souls are seen venturing out. One of those souls, however, catches Takao’s attention: Shiba Uguisu. As she approaches the estate, she has a warm smile for the Akodo. “Good evening Akodo-san,” she offers with a bow. “I wish to speak to Matsu-sama, on a matter of some import. Would you show me to his quarters, please?”

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

"Ah, Uguisu-sama. It would of course be my pleasure to escort you to Matsu-sama. Please allow me to inform my fellow guardsman that I am doing so,"

With that, Takao lets the other Akodo on guard with him know that he will be escorting Shiba Uguisu to see the taisa. He then says to her, "Please come with me, Lady Shiba", and starts taking her down the hallway to the Matsu's chambers.

"Lady", he says as they walk, "might I ask your opinion on the matter of the swords? Do you believe they are authentic, and is there any way to tell?"

While we're walking, using Investigation/Perception to size her up. 5k3. Trying to find out if she looks suspicious or that she intends to do Matsu-sama or any of us harm.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kitsuki Ryoma

Ryoma studies the fetish carefully.

"Hmm, most interesting. Doji-sama, do you think it would perhaps be possible for me to meet with Kazui-sama to talk more about these items?" Ryoma asks. "Perhaps then I could find out what Kakita-san's fetish is for."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
The Daidoji is the one who responds to Ryoma's request. "Asahina-san is currently engaged in other duties, but if Kakita-san cannot answer all of your questions about the tsangusuri, Kazui-san shall certainly be made available to you. If he is not within the library on the Floor of Tranquil Study when you wish to speak with him, simply come to me and I shall have the servants locate him for you."

----

Takao notices nothing suspicious or untoward regarding the Shiba--she is quite gracious toward the Lion, in fact. Furthermore, she is stunningly beautiful. As she notices Takao's gaze linger on her, she blushes. "You are quite admirable in your devotion to your Clan's cause, Akodo-sama. But it must be quite...lonely here also, with so few of your fellow Lion around. I know that feeling all too well. The other Phoenix who had been in the Court of Toshi Ranbo departed before the siege, and have not yet had the opportunity to return. But you, coming into the stronghold of your former enemies...I am not certain I would have the courage for such a feat.

"As for the matter of the swords, I confess that I strive to keep thoughts of such tools of war far from my mind. But I have many relatives who have studied among the Isawa, and our correspondence has often turned to matters of the kami and their influence on our lives and our material possessions. It may be that the letters I have stored away have insight into the nature of nemuranai, and how one might discern a truly Awakened object from a false one. Perhaps you would care to join me to discuss these matters--over tea perhaps?" To accompany that offer, she lays a hand upon Takao's arm--only the slightest of touches, as if a bird had alighted upon him. "Once your duties are complete, of course. I would not dream of interfering with your most honorable task."

Did I mention she has Dangerous Beauty? That coupled with Takao's Lechery makes for a fun combination.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kitsuki Ryoma

"If that is the case, then I shall join Brother Kyo to visit Kakita-san before I take another course of action."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

Hiro takes in the scene. "Geisha are perhaps better at drawing forth information than giving it out, it is their practice. It is their trade. Best avoid for the moment, lest we be drawn further in. Perhaps a walk about the visitors quarters, to begin. The better to know where our fellow visitors are, and perhaps the guard they keep on such places. I doubt the swords are here, but we must eat this meal by pieces, I suspect."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao gasps softly as he feels the Shiba's touch, his body responding in spite of itself. "It is no great courage, My Lady, merely duty. I was ordered to come, and so here I am. And the mission is important. My family's lands are near the border. They suffer first when war comes. But you are right. It is lonely here in a foreign court, as I'm sure it is for you also. I would be honored to share tea with you after my duty tonight is over, and we can discuss the matter of the swords, and perhaps other things as well. At the very least, the two of us will be lonely together."

He stiffens as they approach the Matsu's door, rings the bell by the door and waits for permission to enter.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
After taking their leave of Doji Inejiro and his companion, the trio proceed out of the fortress, across the open parade ground where a few squads of pikemen drill even at this late hour, and cross the bridge into the Armory. Various structures inhabit this quarter--guard houses, barracks, storerooms, and the like--but the largest building by far is the smithy. Upon entering, the trio are greeted by a blast of hot air, and the din of hammer on anvil grows appreciably in volume. Eventually, an apprentice smith notices their presence, and ceases his labors at the bellows only long enough to reach for a cord on the wall near him. Apparently it produces some kind of signal in the adjacent room, for a small man--no metalsmith he, but rather an ink-stained scribe--enters shortly thereafter. Taking bits of cotton from his ears (and wincing as the full intensity of the noise strikes him), he bows in deference to Yuri, and shouts rather too loudly, “Welcome, Doji-sama. This is a most unexpected surprise. How may I be of assistance?”

====

The Visitors’ Quarter of Toshi Ranbo is not terribly large--just under one li (perhaps 500 meters) from the western outer wall to the smaller eastern wall that divides it from the Merchants’ Quarter, and half that from the northern outer wall to the southern wall where the bridges cross the Imperial Highway. There are at most a couple dozen buildings within the quarter, and though none currently show signs of damage, there is significant new construction and even a few completely clear areas--possibly where an entire estate succumbed to fire during the siege. There is a geisha house, “The Delights of the Eastern Shore”, and a sake house, “The Path of Serenity”, as well as temples dedicated to Fukurokujin, Fortune of Wisdom and Mercy, and Hamanri, Fortune of Stability and Government--the latter of which also incorporates a shrine dedicated to the Thirty-Seven Hantei who have preceded the current Emperor. The estates include many obviously belonging to Crane nobility (fully half of which appear to have no one residing within), one aesthetically suspect building that shares the motifs and colors of both the Dragon and the Phoenix, another with the Imperial Mon upon its imposing gate, and one with vaguely unsettling feng shui and bizarre architecture that likely belongs to the gaijin-loving Unicorn. And finally, tucked in the corner where the outer wall meets the wall adjacent to the Merchants' Quarter, underneath one of the imposing guard towers, is a squat two-story structure with no explicit signs of Clan affiliation, but with adornments on its roof that curl back upon themselves much like the tail of a scorpion.

Within the Lion's estate, a servant opens the sliding panel in response to Takao’s summons. He begins to open his mouth, only to be rendered speechless by the sight of the brightly colored Shiba fluttering her fan demurely in front of her face. “Please inform Matsu-sama that Shiba Uguisu has come to call upon him,” she announces into the small antechamber and the room beyond.

The servant finally recovers and turns to make the announcement, but the Matsu is already responding from the rear of the room, “Shiba-san...how good of you to visit! I shall be available momentarily; I am just finishing the last of my correspondence for the evening. Thank you, Takao, for seeing her here. You may return to your post.”

With that Uguisu removes her hand from Takao's arm--the cessation of contact causing a sensation not unlike physical pain to him--and enters the room as the servant slides closed the door. After a few moments, Munemori’s voice comes again, “To what circumstance do I owe the honor of your presence? Would you like some tea? My servant will...”

The sound of soft laughter wafts from behind the door. “No, please, allow me to prepare the tea," Uguisu responds. "It is the least I can do. Since Doji-sama is...occupied...I wished to ensure that you receive all the hospitality due to one of your station.” With that, the voices become indistinct, and Takao is left alone within the hallway.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 7, 2011

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"Do you think they would be so foolish as to keep the daisho in these residences," Hiro says amused. "It would be a novel way to protect them, no doubt." He considers. "Were I to hide them, I would give them to a bushi of low stature but trustworthy nature. No one would examine the daisho sticking from the belt of such a creature."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

Such sound and fury in the forge, signifying... what? The making of blades, no doubt. But of conspiracies as well? The news of the smith being in possession of a tsangusuri was interesting, but did it mean more than just what the Doji had said? Of what need had a smith to be glib? Of course, they could call upon the favors of other Fortunes as well. It would be interesting to see whose favor the smith courted.

He nods politely enough at the man who finally addresses one of their own, a ringing already starting in his ears. The forges of the Crane were certainly busy. Of course they did have quite a bit of reconstruction to do, given the war that had decimated the town. He wanders a bit as the others are addressed, seeing just what is being worked on by the various smiths in residence.

Just taking a look around, staying well out of the way while trying to see what exactly these smiths are so busy doing day and night. Awareness 3/Perception 2/Int 2 Investigation 2.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

"Then no matter what I will keep you safe" he said softly, his voice but a whisper as he looks at her "If I must sacrifice everything I will keep you from harm my beloved, if we must run from this place like The ronin Juri or the disgraces samurai Shion I will keep you safe" he says... speaking truthfully, he would not let anyone harm his beloved.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao stands by the door, not listening, waiting until he can escort her back.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

"I wish I knew the mind of our opponents more clearly." Taji thinks for a moment, but then nods in agreement. "You are correct in your analysis, I think. Station him on guard duty somewhere deep within your estate, where none shall see him except those closest to you. It would be a cunning move, no doubt - and provide a way to absolve yourself of blame, should he be discovered."

"I must think that any Daidoji would falsely admit to the theft, if it meant saving the honor of their Lord and their Clan."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"To do such a thing would mean producing the blades," Hiro say as they walk. "To throw oneself on a lie for honor would be well enough, but a lie without the daisho?" He shakes his head. "Perhaps we should visit those forges, I can hear their iron song from here, and up so late too."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

"If they are to be ready for our Cousins, then they must work night and day." Taji looks around at the preparations that even here have been made. "We should not loose sight of our original purpose, either. This new distraction may in fact serve to make our task easier, I think."

lets gooo

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"You are an apprentice to the forge yourself, perhaps they will show you a trick or two." With that, the pair begin to mosey.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

The noise of the forges hardly coincides with her fairly naïve and romantic image of contemplative, slow, deliberate Kakita manufacturing weapons in tranquil silence. Oh well. Hopefully, the soot will not linger on her kimono too long. Her eyes search the forge for a moment, just to take stock of the place. At last, Yuri nods her head to the man and forces herself to speak over the noise, “I was hoping to speak to Kakita Seitaro – about matters of Court. It is not necessarily urgent.But…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Takao waits, and waits, and waits. Eventually, the servant exits Munemori’s quarters as well, nearly running into the samurai in his haste to exit. He is quite surprised to see Takao still standing there patiently, and he averts his gaze and eventually manages to stutter, “Oh, uh, a thousand pardons, Akodo-sama. Are you waiting for Shiba-sama? I suspect that she and Matsu-sama will be quite some time. Shall I retrieve you when they are finished?”

“As you wish, Doji-sama; I shall see if he is available.” The scribe disappears, and as they wait, Brother Kyo examines the area. Several smoldering fires are banked in great stone pits, with various partially-completed katanas, pikes, and an assortment of other weapons in and around the embers. Partially-filled racks of finished weapons line the opposite wall a for a full twenty yards. Toward the back of the smithy, plates of metal are being heated and hammered smooth, either to be incorporated into suits of armor or to form the starting point for new blades. Counting up all the weapons in various stages of preparation, Brother Kyo estimates a few hundred ashigaru and a dozen or more samurai could be outfitted just with what is present here. And even this late at night, a half-dozen smiths are still working--four apprentices overseen by two journeymen.

After a few minutes, the Kakita returns. Rather than the drab utilitarian kimono he had worn earlier, he now sports a fresh kimono dyed a midnight blue so dark it is almost purple. He beams at Yuri as he steps into the room, “Doji-san, what an un...”, and then he falters when he sees her companions, “...pleasant surprise.” He regains his composure somewhat, yet he still eyes the other two while addressing Yuri. “Yes, a most pleasant surprise to have you visit my humble workshop. I am told you wish to speak with me about the impending season in Doji-sama’s court. Now that we will be expecting visitors again, have you perchance decided that a newer, more striking suit of armor, one that reflects the newest trends from Otosan Uchi, would be fitting for Doji-sama’s Protector of the Court?” he asks hopefully. “We have all the necessary raw materials on hand to fashion something truly magnificent, while silks suitable for the ornamentation should be arriving with the first shipment from over the mountains. Or, perhaps Doji-sama has sent your companions to acquire something from his Artisan of the Forge?” He lapses into silence, realizing a bit too late that a monk and a courtier would be likely to require neither blades nor armor.

• Locked thread