Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Yeah costco always has them for like 375 here.

I didn't see the price on the vitamix, but as of an hour ago my CostCo had:
Kitchenaide vitamix knockoff for $94
Full sized 6-qt Kitchenaide Stand Mixer $280
large granite mortar and pestle set for $15

The M&P was beautiful, styled a bit like a molcaheta (spelling?). If I didn't already have a large marble mortar and pestle I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Molcajete? Those giant mortar and pestle kajiggers with huge bases, but tiny little t-rex arm poundy dealies?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Thanks for the recommendations on costco. This $199.00 one that tied the Vitamix looks like it has potential, I think I might just grab this one instead. Its hard for me to justify what the hell would make a blender worth $500.00
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/1383-blenders

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Need a quick recipe help

I have chicken breasts at home. I'm making salsa because dammit I feel like making salsa. How can I combine these in a way that really highlights how awesome it is to have fresh salsa (so no "bake the chicken with the salsa")?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

transfatphobic posted:

Need a quick recipe help

I have chicken breasts at home. I'm making salsa because dammit I feel like making salsa. How can I combine these in a way that really highlights how awesome it is to have fresh salsa (so no "bake the chicken with the salsa")?

Chicken fajitas!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

transfatphobic posted:

Need a quick recipe help

Just cook the chicken simply. Maybe with a bit of lemon and a hint of chilli, or something like a light honey glaze would also be nice as that would offset the super fresh taste of the salsa (assuming your salsa is anything like mine!)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cornuto posted:

Thanks for the recommendations on costco. This $199.00 one that tied the Vitamix looks like it has potential, I think I might just grab this one instead. Its hard for me to justify what the hell would make a blender worth $500.00

Meh, to a certain extent, you get what you pay for. But it does depend on what you want to do with it... for everyday blending, pretty much anything will work. But you can definitely do stuff with a Vitamix that the imitators can't really handle, like making flour.

My GF's Vitamix is 14 years old. She uses it a lot, and the only thing she had to replace was the rubber gasket/seal, which the company sent to her for free.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Chicken fajitas!

Gat drat I am getting some red peppers delivered today, that could totally work. I'd have to spare myself the tortillas though because my calories are through the roof already. Thanks!

Bollock Monkey posted:

Just cook the chicken simply. Maybe with a bit of lemon and a hint of chilli, or something like a light honey glaze would also be nice as that would offset the super fresh taste of the salsa (assuming your salsa is anything like mine!)

I'll probably prepare the chicken like this, lemon and cumin maybe?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

transfatphobic posted:

Gat drat I am getting some red peppers delivered today, that could totally work. I'd have to spare myself the tortillas though because my calories are through the roof already. Thanks!

That could work! Perhaps chuck a bit of garlic on there as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cornuto posted:

I have the Breville and it's a great blender but the Vitamix clearly has a stronger motor.

edit: if you want to save $40 get it from Bed Bath & Beyond with one of those coupons

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 15, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Molcajete? Those giant mortar and pestle kajiggers with huge bases, but tiny little t-rex arm poundy dealies?

Yes, those. Smooth surface instead of rough, though.

Speaking of Mexican food, I bought a bag of fresh tamales at CostCo for $15, and the quality is shockingly good, almost as good as what I can make. Very fresh, and neatly formed/wrapped. They must have an army of old ladies making these.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

My GF's Vitamix is 14 years old. She uses it a lot, and the only thing she had to replace was the rubber gasket/seal, which the company sent to her for free.

Sometimes you just have to admit that you have a dirty/juvenile mind because that whole sentence is smutty poetry that I can't stop giggling at.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

transfatphobic posted:

Time for lettuce wraps. Skip the tortillas, and stuff into lettuce.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes, those. Smooth surface instead of rough, though.

Speaking of Mexican food, I bought a bag of fresh tamales at CostCo for $15, and the quality is shockingly good, almost as good as what I can make. Very fresh, and neatly formed/wrapped. They must have an army of old ladies making these.

Do you live in the west? Out here in the DC metro the local CCs had the tamales I think you're talking about for one week last year, and the "ready made" giant tortillas that you just cook on a skillet. I didn't get to try the tortillas (they were gone when I went back) but I've never seen either since. A++ would buy again

edit: I say as my tortilla dough ball is hydrating upstairs.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

transfatphobic posted:

Need a quick recipe help

I'd do some kind of stir-fry with bell peppers and onions and other poo poo and then make fajitas.

E: Red peppers sounds delicious it looks like you've already got this covered.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Did chicken, onion, and red bell pepper fajitas seasoned with garlic and cumin , served with homemade salsa, radishes, olives.

On another note I have a gigantic amount of vegetables that I need to work through, what's a good use for a ton of radishes? Besides straight up eating them raw. They also have the greens attached if there's anything worthy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

transfatphobic posted:

Did chicken, onion, and red bell pepper fajitas seasoned with garlic and cumin , served with homemade salsa, radishes, olives.

On another note I have a gigantic amount of vegetables that I need to work through, what's a good use for a ton of radishes? Besides straight up eating them raw. They also have the greens attached if there's anything worthy.

Pickle them. They'll keep forever, and they're awesome.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

Braise the radishes

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

transfatphobic posted:

Quarter and roast the radishes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The GWS wiki seems to be down :(

E: back up

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 16, 2014

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Does anybody know how long I should plan to keep a chuck roast in the crock pot to convert the collagen to gelatin? Core temp is 135F after three hours on the "high" setting, and the Internet tells me it needs to get up to 160F, but I don't know how long it has to stay at that temperature. If it needs to be in there overnight, can I switch the crock pot to "low" now that the core of the roast is out of the danger zone, or will that inhibit the transition I want by having a presumably lower equilibrium temperature?

I haven't used this thing a ton, and I don't have much intuition about times yet.

Edit: Core temp up to 190F so I switched it to "low."

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 16, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I want to try making a deep dish pizza. However, I only have the following that I could think of cooking it in:

8" pie tin
10" cast iron
12" cast iron
springform pan

Which would be best? I've tried the serious eats pan pizza and i'm looking for something different, something more like Chicago deep dish.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a recipe to go along with the advice, it'd be much appreciated!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The deep dish pizza
Another word for meat pie
Use the spring form pan

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I've had great results with a 12" cast iron skillet, personally.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All deep dish pizzas should be made in a cast iron dutch oven. It should turn out to be a delicious cheese stew pizza crust bowl.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Would using pasteurized eggs affect tiramisu over regular eggs? I'm paranoid about someone getting sick and read that pasteurized eggs would avoid that risk, however small it may be.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karl Sharks posted:

Would using pasteurized eggs affect tiramisu over regular eggs? I'm paranoid about someone getting sick and read that pasteurized eggs would avoid that risk, however small it may be.

Does your tiramisu recipe call for raw eggs?

Edit: or rather, does the finished product have raw eggs?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does your tiramisu recipe call for raw eggs?

Edit: or rather, does the finished product have raw eggs?

Yes, isn't that an integral part of tiramisu? There's no cooking or baking at all.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I *think* that salmonella is on the outside of the egg. I don't have a source to site for this, but it has made me way less worried about using eggs. Just wash your hands after handling eggs. I make homemade mayo and that is raw yolk, oil, and acid whipped up so it's not like anything is done to kill salmonella.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I *think* that salmonella is on the outside of the egg. I don't have a source to site for this, but it has made me way less worried about using eggs. Just wash your hands after handling eggs. I make homemade mayo and that is raw yolk, oil, and acid whipped up so it's not like anything is done to kill salmonella.

I'm reading that salmonella can be inside an uncracked egg. The outer contamination is easier to prevent, but apparently it can be infected if a hen has it then her infected ovaries contaminate it during formation.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Guess I'm playing Russian roulette, but whatever, fresh mayo is way better :colbert:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Guess I'm playing Russian roulette, but whatever, fresh mayo is way better :colbert:

The average age of the people who will be eating my tiramisu is probably in the 70s, so don't think they'd fair as well as you would with salmonella :v:

Also that statement started off pretty bad rear end, but the mayo part kills it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What part of the tiramisu is it going in? If it's just mixed into it it'll probably be fine to use pasteurized eggs. If you're supposed to whip them, I've read pasteurized eggs don't whip as well, so that may be more problematic.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So you guys have been missing out on eating brownie/cookie batter?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

So you guys have been missing out on eating brownie/cookie batter?

I couldn't imagine ever being too scared to eat raw cookie dough. Jesus Christ I'd rather die than not do it.

Of course, for breakfast sometimes I'll toss a raw egg into the blender with whatever else fruit/vegetable smoothie I'm making.

If I can eat raw meat, I can eat a raw egg. :colbert:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Drifter posted:

I couldn't imagine ever being too scared to eat raw cookie dough. Jesus Christ I'd rather die than not do it.

Of course, for breakfast sometimes I'll toss a raw egg into the blender with whatever else fruit/vegetable smoothie I'm making.

If I can eat raw meat, I can eat a raw egg. :colbert:

Raw beef is pretty good as a tartare.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

goodness posted:

Raw beef is pretty good as a tartare.

Give me my rare hamburger or give me death.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Give me my rare hamburger or give me death.

Blue steak*

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

I use pasteurized eggs sometimes and haven't run into any problems substituting them. They can be a little more difficult to separate, and if I'm going to whip them I add a little cream of tartar, but otherwise they are indistinguishable. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

Yes, isn't that an integral part of tiramisu? There's no cooking or baking at all.
I think these days most tiramisu is made with a tempered custard or a sabayon.