Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
They might well have been using young coconut which will completely purée. Just sieve it, and save the pulp to make baked goods. The more mature the coconut the harder the flesh becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No doubt it can blend it, the question is can it get it smooth. The ninja may be able to blend an ipad but I doubt it can blend it into creamy smoothness.

Never had an apple smoothie? :downs:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Breaky posted:

Are you certain they used the meat and not just coconut cream / coconut milk?

Yes, I saw that part at least.

dino. posted:

They might well have been using young coconut which will completely purée. Just sieve it, and save the pulp to make baked goods. The more mature the coconut the harder the flesh becomes.

drat, this is impossible to find locally. I thought about using the food processor with blades, but it's too small.

Any alternative recipes ? How about cans of coconut milk / cream ?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Do you have Asian grocers you can check out and if so are you checking the frozen sections? Young coconut is usually found frozen. You can find plastic cups that contain frozen coconut juice with the young coconut. Delicious and super refreshing on a hot day to just thaw and drink as is. If you can pop the whole ice block out of the cup I imagine that plus coconut cream/milk would make a wonderful milkshake.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm guessing a sieve needs to be involved

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I was giving instructions on how to spatchcock to the bf and he cut the wrong side of the chicken. Is this going to screw up the roasting? And if so how badly?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I was giving instructions on how to spatchcock to the bf and he cut the wrong side of the chicken. Is this going to screw up the roasting? And if so how badly?
Nah. You can completely bisect the chicken when removing the spine and just do it as two half chickens if you want.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I'm trying to think of a good sauce to go with my awesomely-crusted thick cut pork chops beyond the standard mushroom cream sauce (which is really boring at this point). I'm thinking something like a basil/dijon/garlic/lemon/riesling to experiment but I'd love to hear some other ideas.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

mich posted:

Do you have Asian grocers you can check out and if so are you checking the frozen sections? Young coconut is usually found frozen. You can find plastic cups that contain frozen coconut juice with the young coconut. Delicious and super refreshing on a hot day to just thaw and drink as is. If you can pop the whole ice block out of the cup I imagine that plus coconut cream/milk would make a wonderful milkshake.

This did the trick, thanks !

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

basil/dijon/garlic/lemon/riesling

That sounds great... why don't you just try one off the top of your head, using those ingredients? Non-cream/roux based sauces are pretty forgiving; you can just throw stuff together and tinker with it until it tastes exactly how you want.

Mexican flavors are great on pork. The girlfriend and I have been making our version of a sauce from a local restaurant, we call it Cilantro Sauce. It's similar to standard Mexican verde sauce, but you only use 1 tomatillo, and add obscene amounts of cilantro. Last time I made it I cooked a pork loin, was great.

If you don't mind the extra calories, sweet is great on chops, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wheez the roux posted:

I'm trying to think of a good sauce to go with my awesomely-crusted thick cut pork chops beyond the standard mushroom cream sauce (which is really boring at this point). I'm thinking something like a basil/dijon/garlic/lemon/riesling to experiment but I'd love to hear some other ideas.

Squashy Nipples posted:

That sounds great... why don't you just try one off the top of your head, using those ingredients? Non-cream/roux based sauces are pretty forgiving; you can just throw stuff together and tinker with it until it tastes exactly how you want.

Mexican flavors are great on pork. The girlfriend and I have been making our version of a sauce from a local restaurant, we call it Cilantro Sauce. It's similar to standard Mexican verde sauce, but you only use 1 tomatillo, and add obscene amounts of cilantro. Last time I made it I cooked a pork loin, was great.

If you don't mind the extra calories, sweet is great on chops, too.

Squashy's got the good idea, I like your thoughts on the ingredients as is.

If you wanted to go in another direction besides continental or mexican you could always go with soy/fish sauce, ginger garlic and green onion etc. You could work it umami in one direction or go with lime / lemongrass and/or coconut to take it another way.

I've been grilling cheap pork on the weekends and giving them a quick marinade in fish sauce beforehand / brief dash on it at the end and it owns.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So i moved to 2nd best korea 2 weeks ago with my wife. For health and diet reasons we are trying to limit our carbs intake. We have been using pearl barley as a sub for rice. I havent been able to find any, but i found something called glutinous barley. Is that the same? Can i use the same way as pearl? Thanks in advance.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

If you have access, culantro chimichurri is amazing and I've been smearing that all over grilled meat this summer.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

gently caress why did I forget chimichurri, I make awesome chimichurri

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Once in a restaurant I tasted the saltiest, most delicious soup of my life, Castellan Garlic Soup aka Sopa de Ajo. Twice now I've attempted to re-create it at home. Not to satisfaction.

I looked at a lot of different online recipes to see which ingredients and steps were essential, because I wanted to make it as simple as possible.
Anyway, I think I've narrowed down my problem: either I'm adding too much bread, or I'm not doing the bread right.

Basically, the recipe calls for small, stale, cubed, toasted bread to be added with the garlic before the broth is poured in. My first attempt, I had some ciabatta bread rolls I had left out for a couple of days that I tore the crust off and cubed up. I let them toast a bit while mixing with the minced garlic but maybe not enough? In any case once I added the broth the bread absorbed the broth pretty quickly and inflated like balloons! The result was a soup that was more soggy bread than salty liquid.
This second time, I figured I would just use store-bought seasoned croutons. They're small and stale and toasted and mostly cubed right? I double checked three different recipes, and they all basically agreed that I should throw in the whole bag (4.5oz) of croutons for 4 cups of chicken broth. Same result, it was too much goddamn bread that blew up like a balloon and the result is a sloppy soggy bread mess. So the next time I try this I'm going to be adding way less bread than the recipes list.

My memory isn't very clear anymore, but I could've sworn the soup I had in the restaurant had solid, crunchy even, bits of bread in it. Am I remembering wrong? Is there a trick to getting bread that doesn't swell up?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, I don't know Sopa de Ajo, but could it be that you didn't use enough oil when you toasted the bread together with the garlic. I believe a coat of oil would prevent it from getting soggy quickly.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So i agreed to make breakfast with my gf friday. But I just remembered that she can't do potatoes/wheat due to recently diagnosed insulin resistance. And she's allergic to eggs.

So what kind of cuisine should I look up? The only breakfast food im familar with is standard US.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sweet potato and corned beef hash minus the eggs? Could go with fruit and yougurt also.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

It's called ajoblanco and I'll look for my recipe (it's andaluz style though)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

vuk83 posted:

So i moved to 2nd best korea 2 weeks ago with my wife. For health and diet reasons we are trying to limit our carbs intake. We have been using pearl barley as a sub for rice. I havent been able to find any, but i found something called glutinous barley. Is that the same? Can i use the same way as pearl? Thanks in advance.

Both rice and barley are carbohydrate based foods! They are both good for you!

But since you're in Korea, you should eat rice. Rice is the core of cuisine.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

wheez the roux posted:

It's called ajoblanco and I'll look for my recipe (it's andaluz style though)

It has almonds too, no?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

gently caress why did I forget chimichurri, I make awesome chimichurri

:snoop: Hell yeah, chimichurri owns.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hmm, I don't know Sopa de Ajo, but could it be that you didn't use enough oil when you toasted the bread together with the garlic. I believe a coat of oil would prevent it from getting soggy quickly.

Bingo! Thank you!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have suggestions for a cake that uses white/red wine, but does not have chocolate?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Both rice and barley are carbohydrate based foods! They are both good for you!

But since you're in Korea, you should eat rice. Rice is the core of cuisine.

Yeah, but rice is not as good for our diet. We eat rice when were out but when eating in would prefer the barley.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eat brown rice and you're probably doing better than eating barley with the bran polished off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

보리 is barley, look for that. Brown rice is 현미, you can find that in any supermarket here. Homeplus is usually the cheapest.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

보리 is barley, look for that. Brown rice is 현미, you can find that in any supermarket here. Homeplus is usually the cheapest.

Mods know everything :wow:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Breaky posted:

Mods know everything :wow:

If they live in Korea and the question is about finding food in Korea, anyway. :buddy:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I'm going to be receiving some zucchini and squash (don't know what kind)...what do I do with these things? I know I can make fried zucchini or have it as a noodle substitute, but squash is a mystery to me.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

KingShiro posted:

I'm going to be receiving some zucchini and squash (don't know what kind)...what do I do with these things? I know I can make fried zucchini or have it as a noodle substitute, but squash is a mystery to me.

If it's just regular yellow squash you can fry that too, or make a bitchin casserole/dressing. I like this recipe: http://mywoodenspoon.com/super-easy-squash-dressing/ but there are several variations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any suggested additions to the standby of 'slice up some potatoes and throw in a cast iron pan with vegetable oil, then slice up some kielbasa/smoked sausage and toss that in there as well'?

I thought about bell peppers+onions but that would give me the worst case of farts known to man. There's always sauerkraut, and yesterday I did cheese + hot sauce. Goes so drat well with fresh flour tortillas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I usually add onions and red cabbage to that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Bob Morales posted:

Any suggested additions to the standby of 'slice up some potatoes and throw in a cast iron pan with vegetable oil, then slice up some kielbasa/smoked sausage and toss that in there as well'?

I thought about bell peppers+onions but that would give me the worst case of farts known to man. There's always sauerkraut, and yesterday I did cheese + hot sauce. Goes so drat well with fresh flour tortillas.

A beer cheese sauce would be pretty awesome with that.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bob Morales posted:

mushrooms

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I allready found the barley, in homeplus in geoje. Its a type called glutinous barley. My question is can i use it as pearl barley or is there something i need to know before i use it. Google does nothing for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

FWIW I warmed this up in the microwave at lunch and 5 loving people said WOW BOB THAT SMELLS DEEELICIOUS

Two-ingredient slop meal got me more feedback than anything else I've ever brought in.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
I'm doing a cottage weekend with 12 other guys in a few days. One of my goals was to cook some large pieces of meat (probably pork butt due to its delicious taste while maintaining a lower price point)

We have the cottage bbq/oven, but I'd love to do something over the fire. I did some googling but not much is coming up. Any recommendations for how to cook some pork butts over a fire?

I'm figuring setting up a simple grill-top setup, wrapping the pork butt in foil (after seasoning it), and cooking it indirect for a long time. There'll be burgers and other food items cooked over the fire before that, so the timing (~4 hours) shouldn't be too bad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Maybe wrap a couple in foil real real well and bury them under the fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I'm going to be brave and try making my first risotto sometime in the next few days. But I've noticed most, but not all, risotto recipes seem to call for white wine. How much difference will it make if I don't bother with the wine and does that alter how much stock I'll be ladling in?

I do know how to substitute for wine, but if it's not going to make a big difference to begin with, I'd rather not bother.