Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ibntumart posted:

I'm going to be brave and try making my first risotto sometime in the next few days. But I've noticed most, but not all, risotto recipes seem to call for white wine. How much difference will it make if I don't bother with the wine and does that alter how much stock I'll be ladling in?

I do know how to substitute for wine, but if it's not going to make a big difference to begin with, I'd rather not bother.

The small amount of acid will help balance the flavor a bit. I would still try sub in some kind of acid if it were me.

Alcohol can also release flavors bound in alcohol soluble proteins, but I'm not sure that there's anything in a standard risotto for which that happens.

None of your other proportions need to change. And the risotto will still be good without any kind of acid, but a smidge better with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ibntumart posted:

I'm going to be brave and try making my first risotto sometime in the next few days. But I've noticed most, but not all, risotto recipes seem to call for white wine. How much difference will it make if I don't bother with the wine and does that alter how much stock I'll be ladling in?

What recipe are you going to use? Start simple. Dice some bacon, garlic, mushroom, and maybe a little tomato and saute it,, throw in a big splash of wine and let it cook, then add rice, and then add in boiling broth a few ladles at a time until it's been fully cooked. Take it off the heat and toss in a big chunk of butter and a bunch of cheese and stir.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

ibntumart posted:

I do know how to substitute for wine, but if it's not going to make a big difference to begin with, I'd rather not bother.

Why substitute?...if anything needs white wine, its me and risotto...
but if you must, heres a suggestion (last paragraph)
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/white-wine-substitute.html

basically, its making sure you'll at least add the acid the wine otherwise would

Another tip?
Use wine

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

paraquat posted:

Why substitute?...if anything needs white wine, its me and risotto...
but if you must, heres a suggestion (last paragraph)
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/white-wine-substitute.html

basically, its making sure you'll at least add the acid the wine otherwise would

Another tip?
Use wine

Dude's Muslim, give him a break. I've got to be honest, I've forgone wine in risotto lots of times and it still tastes delicious, it is just really thick and heavy-tasting due to the lack of acid. But I usually pair it with a veggie that has a little lemon juice or whatever, and that helps. I usually make risotto when I want something that's gonna stick to my ribs anyhow.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Most risotto recipes will have you cook off the wine anyway before you start adding broth, so it's more for flavor. I wouldn't alter the volume of liquid really, but you should be adding incrementally and tasting it anyways near the end. As others mentioned, I would probably add a bit of lemon juice or similar for acidity (I don't really know what vinegars are halal or haram, and lemon juice is an easy out).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

What recipe are you going to use? Start simple. Dice some bacon, garlic, mushroom, and maybe a little tomato and saute it,, throw in a big splash of wine and let it cook, then add rice, and then add in boiling broth a few ladles at a time until it's been fully cooked. Take it off the heat and toss in a big chunk of butter and a bunch of cheese and stir.

Simple is my intention: I'm just doing a risotto bianco my first time out. My plan doesn't sound too far off from what you suggested. My thoughts are: soften some diced onion, garlic, and celery in olive oil and butter; turn up the heat and add the arborio; throw in the wine substitute if I'm using any and let the arborio absorb it; add some salt and then ladle in my hot stock in stages; remove from heat when the arborio is the right consistency; stir in several pats of butter and a bunch of grated parmesan; cover for several minutes; stir and serve with some more cheese on top.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The small amount of acid will help balance the flavor a bit. I would still try sub in some kind of acid if it were me.

Alcohol can also release flavors bound in alcohol soluble proteins, but I'm not sure that there's anything in a standard risotto for which that happens.

None of your other proportions need to change. And the risotto will still be good without any kind of acid, but a smidge better with.

Hawkgirl posted:

Dude's Muslim, give him a break. I've got to be honest, I've forgone wine in risotto lots of times and it still tastes delicious, it is just really thick and heavy-tasting due to the lack of acid. But I usually pair it with a veggie that has a little lemon juice or whatever, and that helps. I usually make risotto when I want something that's gonna stick to my ribs anyhow.

Good to know I *can* skip the wine/wine substitute if need be---thanks! Rib-sticking and a bit heavy is fine anyway. My hope is to substitute risottos (especially veggie risottos like mushroom or pumpkin/squash) for meat dishes at least once or twice a week. Or to maybe mix in leftover shredded chicken or what have you. Either way, the plan is for risotto to be a main rather than a side.

Hauki posted:

Most risotto recipes will have you cook off the wine anyway before you start adding broth, so it's more for flavor. I wouldn't alter the volume of liquid really, but you should be adding incrementally and tasting it anyways near the end. As others mentioned, I would probably add a bit of lemon juice or similar for acidity (I don't really know what vinegars are halal or haram, and lemon juice is an easy out).

Thankfully, vinegar is automatically halal. In fact, I use a mix of vinegar and grape juice in place of wine when it's called for. Though now you have me wondering if in this case, I can get away with just a bit of lemon juice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grape juice and a couple dashes of vinegar is what I would personally go for if I couldn't use / didn't have wine.

The best single thing I've noticed that made my own risottos better was using homemade stock and especially if a meat derived stock then something that had a nice bit of cartilage in it to make it more 'velvety'. These worked really well with risotto even if I didn't have arborio rice on hand and went with a nondescript short grain rice.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

bosko posted:

I'm doing a cottage weekend with 12 other guys in a few days. One of my goals was to cook some large pieces of meat (probably pork butt due to its delicious taste while maintaining a lower price point)

We have the cottage bbq/oven, but I'd love to do something over the fire. I did some googling but not much is coming up. Any recommendations for how to cook some pork butts over a fire?

I'm figuring setting up a simple grill-top setup, wrapping the pork butt in foil (after seasoning it), and cooking it indirect for a long time. There'll be burgers and other food items cooked over the fire before that, so the timing (~4 hours) shouldn't be too bad.

Hope this isn't too late to help. If you are going to cook a pork butt indirect heat is definitely the way to go. However it's going to take more than 4 hours to get it cooked through properly with time depending of course on the size of the cut. When I'm smoking one I maintain a temperature in the smoker somewhere between 225-275 and cook to an internal temperature of about 195. Come visit the Slow smoking meat thread for more ideas.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Really stupid question: is it okay to eat mushrooms raw? Tried googling it and got a mix of 'sure i do it all the time!' and 'gently caress NO if you do it you'll DIE' results. I mean the common ones you find at the store, not random in the woods finds.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ibntumart posted:

Good to know I *can* skip the wine/wine substitute if need be---thanks! Rib-sticking and a bit heavy is fine anyway. My hope is to substitute risottos (especially veggie risottos like mushroom or pumpkin/squash) for meat dishes at least once or twice a week. Or to maybe mix in leftover shredded chicken or what have you. Either way, the plan is for risotto to be a main rather than a side.

You really can't skip the wine, but you can substitute for it for sure, the acid is super important. Some combination of lemon juice and white wine vinegar will do awesomely.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

Really stupid question: is it okay to eat mushrooms raw? Tried googling it and got a mix of 'sure i do it all the time!' and 'gently caress NO if you do it you'll DIE' results. I mean the common ones you find at the store, not random in the woods finds.

this question owns

(yes, usually, unless you're eating weird mushrooms in which case you're going to die)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Raw sliced button mushrooms are awesome for salad. Also some people might like the texture of raw mushrooms more than cooked ones!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have a can of royal crab that has been laying around forever.
Any recipe recommendations?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^EDIT: crab cakes.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Raw sliced button mushrooms are awesome for salad.

Totally agree! A great texture for salad.
I love all mushrooms, even the ones that don't taste like much.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thank you for answering my retarded question. In return have this for a laugh.

http://hedgerowharvest.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/the-dangers-of-raw-mushrooms/

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Raw sliced button mushrooms are awesome for salad.
According to the above link you are going to die!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He lost me at gluten-free pasta.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
People freaking out about how regular edible mushrooms are going to rot your body from the inside out if eaten raw are probably the same clownshoes who are convinced that leftover raw onion is some kind of bacterial weapon of mass destruction.

Golly gosh.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I like that in his story at the end, "wifey" apparently died just from the 'fumes' of cooking mushrooms? You know, because they weren't completely cooked yet. But the dude who ate them, completely fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about the fact that he went to mushroom club meetings in the first place.

"Mushroom club" sounds like the name of a circumcision support group.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I have some uh, I think they're eye of round? Steaks that I bought and cooked like I would a regular steak, and I regretted it because they were kinda tough and i don't want to eat the two I have left. What can I do with them? Was thinking of throwing them in the slow cooker with some mushrooms and onions, bit of water, garlic, whatever. Is there any way I can tenderize then and like, throw them in a sandwich or somethign? To clarify, these two steaks are already cooked, threw em on a cast iron thing with salt and pepper

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Darth Windu posted:

I have some uh, I think they're eye of round? Steaks that I bought and cooked like I would a regular steak, and I regretted it because they were kinda tough and i don't want to eat the two I have left. What can I do with them? Was thinking of throwing them in the slow cooker with some mushrooms and onions, bit of water, garlic, whatever. Is there any way I can tenderize then and like, throw them in a sandwich or somethign? To clarify, these two steaks are already cooked, threw em on a cast iron thing with salt and pepper

Yeah, eye round is a pretty sad cut. I would chop it up and make nachos.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
If you slice it thinly across the grain and do it on a really hot surface for quick, they are not bad either. I use eye of round in stir fries a lot, to good effect.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

What about the fact that he went to mushroom club meetings in the first place.

"Mushroom club" sounds like the name of a circumcision support group.
The technical term is `synagogue'.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

geetee posted:

Yeah, eye round is a pretty sad cut. I would chop it up and make nachos.

Huh, don't have any chips but I have tortillas, cilantro, and some sour cream, might make a couple tacos. Should've thought of that myself, thanks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

He lost me at gluten-free pasta.

I was just glad to see an article on the internet with peer-reviewed references from high-quality journals for its seemingly outlandish claims.

Oh wait.

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009
I need some help with fish identification.

My mum brought me some lovely fresh north sea fish last time she came to visit, and I'm not 100% sure exactly what kind of fish they are. I'm pretty sure one of them is smoked haddock, but I don't know about the other one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lower picture looks like haddock for sure. The top one since its just the fillet is tough. Could be haddock, could be hake, maybe cod? Tough to say on that one. Not Halibut.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jamwillinob posted:

I need some help with fish identification.

My mum brought me some lovely fresh north sea fish last time she came to visit, and I'm not 100% sure exactly what kind of fish they are. I'm pretty sure one of them is smoked haddock, but I don't know about the other one.

Pretty sure they're both haddock, one dyed, one not.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I made the Pad Thai on the wiki : http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pad_Thai_by_Schpyder
It was quite good but I have some tamarind in the fridge and was wondering if I could put that in the sauce as well in place of squeezing the limes at the end maybe?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Le0 posted:

I made the Pad Thai on the wiki : http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pad_Thai_by_Schpyder
It was quite good but I have some tamarind in the fridge and was wondering if I could put that in the sauce as well in place of squeezing the limes at the end maybe?

When I've made it the tamarind / tamarind paste went into the sauce with the sugar and everything else.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You should use the tamarind instead of vinegar in the sauce, then still squeeze on lime at the end.

If you'd like to try a more in depth pad thai recipe next time try this:

http://shesimmers.com/2011/11/pad-thai-recipe-part-five-making-pad.html

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm a very novice cook so I apologize ahead of time:

Rice cooker. Is an expensive fuzzy logic cooker really "worth it"? Is the quality of the resulting rice really going to be that much better than the cheapo $30 models?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm a very novice cook so I apologize ahead of time:

Rice cooker. Is an expensive fuzzy logic cooker really "worth it"? Is the quality of the resulting rice really going to be that much better than the cheapo $30 models?

Yes, they are quite a bit better.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I want to make a bulk batch of burrito/taco filling. I got my chicken, beans, rice, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and various spices all ready to go. Can I put just the dry beans and rice in the crock pot, or should I soak the beans and cook the rice beforehand?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

McSpankWich posted:

So I want to make a bulk batch of burrito/taco filling. I got my chicken, beans, rice, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and various spices all ready to go. Can I put just the dry beans and rice in the crock pot, or should I soak the beans and cook the rice beforehand?
Soak and cook, definitely. If you cook the beans and rice together the rice will be mush long before the beans are done, and if you don't soak the beans first they'll basically never be done.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Even if I'm doing an 8 hour slow cook in a crock pot?

edit: is that even a good idea? Should I do the 4 hour?

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 27, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

McSpankWich posted:

Even if I'm doing an 8 hour slow cook in a crock pot?

Are you basing this on some kind of recipe? If you let bell peppers go for that long they'll be mush, and if you cook everything together for that long it'll be a textureless, uniform slop. Soak your beans and make a bunch of them in a pot (crock pot if you want), cook your rice separately in a pot, sauté your chicken and peppers and onions in a pan. If you want to make enough bulk for a week that will still be tasty and reheat well, don't be afraid to just use three pans and cook your ingredients separately, the way they should be.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Ok I'll just toss the chicken and spices and stuff in the crock, and cook the rest separately. Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You probably shouldn't be cooking the chicken in the crock pot either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Maybe i'm ignorant (don't own a crockpot), but what happens in there exactly?
As far as i can see, you're sticking things in the crockpot that would be cooked on the fire in 10 to 15 minutes tops, right?