Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You might need to actually dock the dough before you make the pie if it's the dough that's puffing up. If the cavern is just getting bigger, more slits and make sure you have all the air out before crimping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I need to cook an amazing dinner for someone who doesnt do beans or lentils on account of their texture. I don't do meat. I'm thinking of a Thai curry with tofu or some kind of chinese inspired stir fry. Any suggestions that don't involve making GBS threads on someone for not liking beans?

Edit: And I know that beans and lentils don't have a standard texture. She said beans and I countered with red lentil dal, which was a no go.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 2, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Happiness Commando posted:

I need to cook an amazing dinner for someone who doesnt do beans or lentils on account of their texture. I don't do meat. I'm thinking of a Thai curry with tofu or some kind of chinese inspired stir fry. Any suggestions that don't involve making GBS threads on someone for not liking beans?

Edit: And I know that beans and lentils don't have a standard texture. She said beans and I countered with red lentil dal, which was a no go.

You can't poo poo on bean haters if you don't like meat.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Please tell me more about the ethics of eating vegetable protein

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tough question, as you noted that covers a wide range of textures. Why don't you ask her what she does like, and build from there?

If it were me I'd do mushrooms, asparagus, onions, and other delicious veggies in Asian-y sauce with soy sauce, rice wine, a little sugar, some cornstarch. Served over rice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a goulash recipe that will impress A GIRL from Romania. Goulash is her favorite dish. Technically it's Hungarian.

However, I've been told it's the Hungarian version, not the Trentino region recipe (I don't know the difference). What secret recipe do goons have?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Broccoli caulifower yams and potatoes are all pretty baller.

Some type of spinach tomato broccoli XX (with onions because goddamn onions are so good) quiche with fried potato balls would be pretty tasty.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a goulash recipe that will impress :siren::frogsiren:A GIRL:frogsiren::siren: from Romania. Goulash is her favorite dish. Technically it's Hungarian.

However, I've been told it's the Hungarian version, not the Trentino region recipe (I don't know the difference). What secret recipe do goons have?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/apr/03/how-to-cook-perfect-goulash-hungarian
Give that a quick little read - it's pretty informative. The recipe is fine.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36783
That's a pretty solid fuckin' recipe right there. Bones in and everything for even richer soup. You can keep bigger bones to make it easier to fish out at the end. But it's ultimately peasant food so spitting out a couple bones over the course of the meal is what you expect from dirty Hungarian peasants like my family. I think carrots ad a nice slight sweetness to things - paired up with the onions and paprika.

I don't really like sour cream up top as a garnish, although I do like it with porkolt. :shrug: it's fine either way, to be honest. I've never seen my Uncle or dad brown the meat beforehand, but I do it and think it adds a slightly noticeable addition to the flavors. I also like to caramelize half the onions rather than just sweating them all or giving them a quick saute.

I do recommend serving it over spatzle. Homemade is easiest because you can just throw it in the soup near the end and it'll cook just fine. Or just have a thick fuckin' slice of bread to tear into pieces.

Also, If she's part Hungarian she still most likely holds some sort of deep seated grudge against everyone in the world for splitting up her country, and that includes the italians. I guess the trentino versions use some spices above and beyond caraway seed and sweet paprika.

YOu can continue impressing her with porkolt paprikas - there's a quick noodle recipe in there, as well, Chicken porkoltand Fozelek fasirtal - I did that one back when I was called out by some crazy person and challenged to make some foods. It was deliciously grand.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 2, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm not sure what the Trentino Goulash is, but from what I can tell it looks like a sort of porkolt gravy that goes over spatzel? Which would mean that the recipe I'm seeking is a "soup-like" Goulash?

I'm doing this is a surprise so I can't reveal my hand by asking her specifics about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm not sure what the Trentino Goulash is, but from what I can tell it looks like a sort of porkolt gravy that goes over spatzel? Which would mean that the recipe I'm seeking is a "soup-like" Goulash?

I'm doing this is a surprise so I can't reveal my hand by asking her specifics about it.

All goulash is soup like - you might be misthinking about stroganoff or something a little thicker. You can always make noodle/dumplings and leave them off on the side. I'm pretty positive Trentino style is with Italian spices like Basil and rosemary and stuff in addition to the basics.

Make the lthForums one and you'll both end up satisfied by the time your night is through. :heysexy: but for the love of Christ get proper sweet paprika, not some ratty old crap from Vons.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 2, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What goes well with it? Spatial? Red potatoes? Hot pickled red cabbage? Wines?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

What goes well with it? Spatial? Red potatoes? Hot pickled red cabbage? Wines?

Potatoes are already in the dish. have some bread on the side. A thick kind. I'm not a fan of black breads like pumpernickel. Do a rye or something like that.

I'd make Kaposzta Teszta.
Saute a diced onion over normal heat in a 1/6 cup of olive oil until it starts to golden, add half a clove (or just a whole one) of chopped/minced garlic and the cabbage. Toss it still on heat. Spice gently with salt and black pepper and maybe a tablespoon of red wine vinegar. Mix it all and bring the heat down to low and put a lid on it. Stir to prevent burning for about 90 minutes (or just an hour) and put a tablespoon or two of water in there if it starts to get dry. Stir in some of your noodles that you made and you're good. It's awesome. Or just skip the noodles and just keep the cabbage.

I don't drink alcohol but rarely, so I don't know about the wine. It's beef and super savory, so probably a red, right? Something bright and woodsy, not fruity.

Also, don't coat your meat with paprika and then brown it. Brown it first if you are planning on that and pull it out to coat. Too many people spice up and then burn the spices when they try to brown the meat itself. :( And low heat. Not even a simmer. Don't dry it out. Goddamn shame when the meat's dry.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 2, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Did she ask you to make goulash? If you found out it's her favorite and are just planning to surprise her you're probably going to disappoint her.

She's eaten tons of goulash made by people who spent years making it. You're making it to impress a date.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Did she ask you to make goulash? If you found out it's her favorite and are just planning to surprise her you're probably going to disappoint her.

She's eaten tons of goulash made by people who spent years making it. You're making it to impress a date.

You're just a buzzkill. If I mention to someone I love a food and they go out of their way to make some for me I'd think it was nice - nevermind that I've eaten different versions around the world made by master chefs or old people.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's a nice gesture and I think his heart is in the right place, but there's a lot of room for failure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

It's a nice gesture and I think his heart is in the right place, but there's a lot of room for failure.

Hungarian food is the peasantiest of peasant food. If he doesn't mess up with getting crappy paprika and shoe-leather meat, he'll be fine.

He could always practice run a day or more in advance to get confidence, I don't know.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Happiness Commando posted:

Please tell me more about the ethics of eating vegetable protein

Life is life to some people, I can see why you make the distinction between plants and animals but not everyone does.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Drifter posted:

Hungarian food is the peasantiest of peasant food. If he doesn't mess up with getting crappy paprika and shoe-leather meat, he'll be fine.

He could always practice run a day or more in advance to get confidence, I don't know.

I plan on it. I like to run through a dish two or three times to get a feel for exactly how it should go before I start serving it to people. Plus, it gives me an idea in my head on how the seasoning should go, expecting cook times, heat, and the like.

Chemmy posted:

For all I know, the goulash she's always eaten has been terrible. And for all I know, maybe she doesn't give a poo poo if it isn't the best goulash dish she's ever eaten in her entire life. I had a girlfriend that made me risotto with white rice and Charles Shaw once (first time), and I was just as happy with her as if she unwrapped the truffles and fleur de sel.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

for sale posted:

Does anybody have a good recipe for fesenjan, that persian walnut and pomegranate stew? I was going to mash a few recipes of it together but it might be good to hear from somebody with actual experience cooking Persian food.

One of my friends has a recipe on her cooking blog:
http://shivasrecipes.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/fesenjan-with-chicken/

I haven't tried making it yet, but she does have extremely good taste (not surpisingly!) when it comes to Persian food. She gave me advice on getting nice tadig when making zereshk polo, which I am going to try this week after I can swing by a market that sells barberries.

Drifter posted:

You're just a buzzkill. If I mention to someone I love a food and they go out of their way to make some for me I'd think it was nice - nevermind that I've eaten different versions around the world made by master chefs or old people.

My thoughts exactly. I grew up with homemade Mexican food my whole life, as well as eating actual Mexican food at actual Mexican stands and restaurants. Still, back when I was single, I'd have been flattered if someone tried to make me, say, enchiladas with mole poblano or tamales de rajas from scratch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ibntumart posted:

My thoughts exactly. I grew up with homemade Mexican food my whole life, as well as eating actual Mexican food at actual Mexican stands and restaurants. Still, back when I was single, I'd have been flattered if someone tried to make me, say, enchiladas with mole poblano or tamales de rajas from scratch.

A white girl I was kind of seeing invited me over for 'enchiladas', I said I've got to see this and watched her pull out flour tortillas, a can of 'enchilada sauce', a bag of kraft shredded cheddar cheese, a taco seasoning packet...

I told her she really just made 'wet burritos' and they weren't really all that bad in a midwestern greasy-spoon wet burrito kind of way.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Is there actually a big risk in eating raw eggs? I made chocolate mousse this weekend (3 raw yolks and whites) from a cookbook and was thinking the risk of getting sick must be so small that a book publisher put it in print, so it's probably pretty safe. Right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iirc it's risky for around 1 in 20k eggs.

Even better.
vvv

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

reflex posted:

Is there actually a big risk in eating raw eggs? I made chocolate mousse this weekend (3 raw yolks and whites) from a cookbook and was thinking the risk of getting sick must be so small that a book publisher put it in print, so it's probably pretty safe. Right?

Right. The rate of contamination is something like one in 35,000 eggs in the US. I read the average person would encounter a contaminated egg in the US once every 30 years or so.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Making bavarois in an old peoples home is an excellent way to make room for others....ehmmm...not a good idea

but healthy young people can take the risk

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pregnant, very young or very old people should stay away from raw eggs. I regularly eat food with raw eggs in it. It's delicious and pasteurized stuff just can't compete against it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey I'm cross posting from the curry thread since I realised it was kind of dead.

So I was going to make a Lamb Rogan Josh tomorrow but got stuck on veggies to have with the Lamb Curry and Rice.

I was thinking of throwing in Potatoes and maybe Eggplant, does anyone see any major issues with this as long as I don't put too much in?

I was planning on using a recipe like this

http://thedomesticman.com/2012/07/1...iri-lamb-curry/

or the GWS one http://goonswithspoons.com/Rogan_Josh

But I was thinking of say, cutting down the lamb by maybe 30% and putting in roughly the same weight of diced potatoes and Eggplant. Potatoes I thought to just throw in but eggplant I don't know. Dice and it will just string through the curry and be nice and delicious... or horrible? Keep skin in?

I'm awful when I go off recipe :(

EDIT - EGGPLANET

teacup fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 2, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know the answer but I hope some day man can colonize Eggplanet

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know the answer but I hope some day man can colonize Eggplanet

Damnit :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Goulash guy - get good paprika and your gulyas/porkolt will be good.

Accompany it with tarhonya because tarhonya is amaaaazingly delicious stuff.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

ibntumart posted:

One of my friends has a recipe on her cooking blog:
http://shivasrecipes.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/fesenjan-with-chicken/

I haven't tried making it yet, but she does have extremely good taste (not surpisingly!) when it comes to Persian food. She gave me advice on getting nice tadig when making zereshk polo, which I am going to try this week after I can swing by a market that sells barberries.

This is a cool website, thank you.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Fesenjan...I had never heard of it, and even though it isn't the most vibrant looking dish, the ingredients sound wonderful!
(I've never seen pomegranate paste before, but I have a persian supermarket around the corner, so....)

will definitely give it a shot

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

for sale posted:

This is a cool website, thank you.

You're welcome, I'll let her know she has new followers!

paraquat posted:

Fesenjan...I had never heard of it, and even though it isn't the most vibrant looking dish, the ingredients sound wonderful!
(I've never seen pomegranate paste before, but I have a persian supermarket around the corner, so....)

will definitely give it a shot

Fesenjan is amazing! That is my default dish to order at Persian restaurants when I'm not in a kebab mood.

Bob Morales posted:

A white girl I was kind of seeing invited me over for 'enchiladas', I said I've got to see this and watched her pull out flour tortillas, a can of 'enchilada sauce', a bag of kraft shredded cheddar cheese, a taco seasoning packet...

I told her she really just made 'wet burritos' and they weren't really all that bad in a midwestern greasy-spoon wet burrito kind of way.

Canned enchilada sauce I've always been scared of, but I'll cop to having used taco seasoning back in my student days on several occasions.

The first time I met my then girlfriend's/now-wife's family, I was offered enchiladas. My wife is second generation Mexican-American like me, so these are probably going to be awesome enchiladas that her dad grew up on in Tijuana and learned to make.

My future sister-in-law asked me to chat outside with her and then she warned me that these are probably a bit... different... than what I'm used to. It's not her dad making these at all, rather her (very lovely and nice, but 100% Anglo) grandmother.

I go back inside and see a can of tomato sauce and some cream (might have been milk) mixed in a pot. (That was it, by the way: no seasoning.) The resulting pink sauce was allowed to get hot before a couple of my wife's relatives start dipping tortillas in the sauce. Then they put in some shredded cabbage, a slice or two of onion, and cottage cheese, wrapped them, and drizzled more of the pale pink sauce on.

I ate two and pretended to like them. Bland is the best I can say about them. What is weird to me is that my wife swears this is an authentic Mexican recipe. Maybe it's a Tijuana or Baja California thing... I've only ever flown over or driven through.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 3, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
e: doublepost, sorry

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 3, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Canned enchilada sauce I've always been scared of, but I'll cop to having used taco seasoning back in my student days on several occasions.

The first time I met my then girlfriend's/now-wife's family, I was offered enchiladas. My wife is second generation Mexican-American like me, so these are probably going to be awesome enchiladas that her dad grew up on in Tijuana and learned to make.

My future sister-in-law asked me to chat outside with her and then she warned me that these are probably a bit... different... than what I'm used to. It's not her dad making these at all, rather her (very lovely and nice, but 100% Anglo) grandmother.

I go back inside and see a can of tomato sauce and some cream (might have been milk) mixed in a pot. (That was it, by the way: no seasoning.) The resulting pink sauce was allowed to get hot before a couple of my wife's relatives start dipping tortillas in the sauce. Then they put in some shredded cabbage, a slice or two of onion, and cottage cheese, wrapped them, and drizzled more of the pale pink sauce on.

I ate two and pretended to like them. Bland is the best I can say about them. What is weird to me is that my wife swears this is an authentic Mexican recipe. Maybe it's a Tijuana or Baja California thing... I've only ever flown over or driven through.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, I just got served thirds and I didn't even like it the first time. :sigh:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The woman who taught me how to make Mexican food was from baja, and her enchiladas were nothing like that. However, she did say that it was OK to use canned enchilada sauce if you bought the right brand. I can't remember which brand.

But there is no loving way that she would approve of enchiladas with flour tortillas, cream, or a lack or spices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Crock pot enchiladas" at potlucks make me want to kill someone. I think it's just chicken and cream cheese and tomato sauce with tortillas torn up and thrown inside.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looking for recipe suggestions based on what's coming out of the garden right now.

I've still got tons of zucchini, green beans and tons of basil and other herbs.

I've made about every manner of ratatouille or derivative as well as numerous green currys with beans and zucchini. I've got a lot of tomatoes coming in (cherry and beefsteak mostly) and I've also been making tons of regular and caprese salads.

I don't think I really have quite enough tomatoes coming in to justify making outright sauce / paste to save, but I'm wondering what else would be a good recipe that would showcase some quality tomatoes quite well. I'm using them in everything I can (breakfast eggs, sandwiches etc) but am looking for some other options. Any interesting recipes out there?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Second pie making question: is it worth wetting down the pastry flaps before joining and crimping?

Most pie recipes I've looked at online suggest this, but my girlfriend thinks it's unnecessary voodoo... and I have no evidence for or against that, I've just always done it without questioning it.
What do the goons think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Second pie making question: is it worth wetting down the pastry flaps before joining and crimping?

Most pie recipes I've looked at online suggest this, but my girlfriend thinks it's unnecessary voodoo... and I have no evidence for or against that, I've just always done it without questioning it.
What do the goons think?
Depends on how wet the dough is.