Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a flan recipe they can recommend?

Edit: also still looking for a lemon meringue pie recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Joy of baking's lemon meringue is p good

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some healthy crockpot recipes. Soups, stews, and things like that.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I am looking for a recipe/instructions for making an African recipe. I have dried potato leaves, ogiri, maggi, chilis, and will buy palm oil, spinach, okra (maybe), dried fish flakes (maybe). I'd like to use chicken if possible, as I am way unfamiliar with cooking goat.

I have never cooked African cuisine and am an amateur cook at best. Most recipes I have found say "boil your meat with salt, to taste" and I've never even boiled meat. I gather this sort of food is good with a rougher cut with lots of connective tissue, hence some of the boiling, but I am wary. My coworker provided steps but no measurements. I can't even look up a recipe because she calls her goat/spinach/potato leaves dish "vegetables". I know this style of cuisine is eaten in places like Siera Leone but also Nigeria, etc. I can't begin to guess what a "garden egg" is. Do I have to soak the dried potato leaves? Thank you.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
For the record, this is what she reccommends:

coworker posted:

-first u boil your meat (your choice) with salt to taste
-when the meat is well cooked, add yuru potatoes leaves together with spinach. stir until its well mixed
-add OGIRI and grind hot pepers.stir and mix, then cover to steam.
-pour in some palm oil (reasonable amount to soften)
-Add 2-4 grind okra(optional) and mix well.
-put in some grind crayfish(optional) and stir then allow to cook 4-5 mins
Finally add 2-3 cups of maggi to taste

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

apathypuff posted:

I am looking for a recipe/instructions for making an African recipe. I have dried potato leaves, ogiri, maggi, chilis, and will buy palm oil, spinach, okra (maybe), dried fish flakes (maybe). I'd like to use chicken if possible, as I am way unfamiliar with cooking goat.

I have never cooked African cuisine and am an amateur cook at best. Most recipes I have found say "boil your meat with salt, to taste" and I've never even boiled meat. I gather this sort of food is good with a rougher cut with lots of connective tissue, hence some of the boiling, but I am wary. My coworker provided steps but no measurements. I can't even look up a recipe because she calls her goat/spinach/potato leaves dish "vegetables". I know this style of cuisine is eaten in places like Siera Leone but also Nigeria, etc. I can't begin to guess what a "garden egg" is. Do I have to soak the dried potato leaves? Thank you.
http://youtu.be/HmPxvvojyOo
All her recipes are fairly easy to follow.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I am hosting a Halloween party next Saturday and have a long list of cookies/ sweets I want to prepare. I'd like to do a bunch in advance but want them to still be good. I was thinking of making the cookies this weekend and freezing them. Is there anything that makes some cookie recipes freeze well and not others or can I safely just throw whatever in there?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Are you thinking of making the dough ahead of time, freezing it, and then baking the day of/day before? Or are you talking about freezing the baked cookies?

If you are doing regular butter, sugar and flour cookies, it doesn't really matter either way. My mother in law makes hundreds of Christmas cookies each year and freezes at both stages and they turn out fine.

I think the only ones that might turn out weird is if you are doing something like Meringue or French Macaroon or sandwich cookies of some kind. The first one, I don't think would work well as a frozen dough, but would be fine as a finished product. The other two, more likely the filling might get weird in the freezing process.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I was thinking of baking and freezing and then pulling them out the day of. I made some cookies a while ago and the recipe said "freezes well" so I tried popping them in the freezer and they tasted exactly the same afterwards. Which got me thinking about how I could probably do that with other cookies too, right? These were just normal chocolate chip cookies but they had tahini and maple syrup in the dough too. Soooo good!

My cookie list includes some cut-out sugar cookies, some fudge, some regular chocolate chip, some Rice Krispie bars maybe, some kind of gluten free thing...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if it's different for different kinds of cookie dough, but whenever I make chocolate chip cookie dough I always make a ton and freeze it. Portion into balls and store in a ziploc with the air sucked out. Break off a few balls, thaw, and bake for fresh chocolate chip cookies whenever. I've used one batch of dough for several months that way. It's just as convenient as those dough tubes but way better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Plus_Infinity posted:

I was thinking of baking and freezing and then pulling them out the day of. I made some cookies a while ago and the recipe said "freezes well" so I tried popping them in the freezer and they tasted exactly the same afterwards. Which got me thinking about how I could probably do that with other cookies too, right? These were just normal chocolate chip cookies but they had tahini and maple syrup in the dough too. Soooo good!

My cookie list includes some cut-out sugar cookies, some fudge, some regular chocolate chip, some Rice Krispie bars maybe, some kind of gluten free thing...

I think you're fine with everything except maybe the fudge (unless you mean fudge cookies) and rice krispie bars. Those I would not freeze. More for a texture thing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need to make egg nog ASAP...anyone got a link to the recipe posted last year?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

I need to make egg nog ASAP...anyone got a link to the recipe posted last year?

Are we talking about aged egg nog?

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html

It should be just barely edible by the time Christmas rolls around

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Plus_Infinity posted:

These were just normal chocolate chip cookies but they had tahini and maple syrup in the dough too. Soooo good!

That sounds intriguing! Where'd you get the idea to put tahini in a chocolate chip cookie?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Steve Yun posted:

Are we talking about aged egg nog?

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html

It should be just barely edible by the time Christmas rolls around

I can't remember if this is the same one...Gravity was posting about it last year iirc.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Ayem posted:

That sounds intriguing! Where'd you get the idea to put tahini in a chocolate chip cookie?

From a cookbook called "Vegetarian Dinner Parties"! They have dates in them too, and pecans. Probably the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had, actually. They're really crispy and rich tasting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

I can't remember if this is the same one...Gravity was posting about it last year iirc.

Yeah that's the one.

It will be barely edible in time for Christmas if you make it now.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

nwin posted:

It's the same one. I have like 2 gallons of it from last year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I still have a liter of it that's 2 years old. It's hard to convince other people to drink it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I put up my nog for this year last weekend. It's very close to the microbiologist-developed recipe, which goes:

quote:

dozen eggs
1 quart heavy cream
1 quart light cream
1 pint bourbon
1 quart rum
nutmeg
sugar to taste (1/2 - 3/4 lb)

I use 3 cups of black strap rum, a pint of Evan Williams, and a cup of herbal liqueur (Becherovka, which is kind of vanilla/baking spice like and sweet) and find about three cups of sugar is right. I also split and scrape a vanilla bean and add it to the jar, and I wait to grate the nutmeg on top when I serve. Two months is enough for it to smooth out and be drinkable. It's definitely better with more time, though.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Alright I cook a lot but I usually like french style cooking (aka more butta). I gotta cook light for my gf because she's freaking out about fat. I tried telling her that pan frying a skinless, boneless chicken breast in some veg oil is not that fatty and barely adds much fat. She didn't listen.

Can anyone recommend me a different way of cooking the chicken without fatty oils to help me out of the dog house here?

Even loving cookinglight.com tells me to make crispy buttermilk chicken for christ's sake.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

George Foreman Grill does really nice boneless skinless chicken breasts with no oil. Just make sure to brine beforehand.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booties posted:

Can anyone recommend me a different way of cooking the chicken without fatty oils to help me out of the dog house here?

Non-stick skillet on high heat for a few minutes, pound the breast out flat, salt, pepper, and just flop it on there. Three minutes each side, then reduce heat to medium and flip every 2 minutes until a thermometer hits 145 or so in the very thickest part of the chicken and you'll get a juicy, delicious chicken breast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lemon juice and thyme near the end of the cooking are good too

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I still have a liter of it that's 2 years old. It's hard to convince other people to drink it.

My friends are curious when I tell them it's like 70% alcohol but it's not really a summer drink so, we'll see how the holidays go.

By the way it's REALLY good in coffee.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Will a danish blue cheese work in a broccoli and cheese soup? If not what can I use it for other than making blue cheese dressing for a black and blue burger?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Booties posted:

Alright I cook a lot but I usually like french style cooking (aka more butta). I gotta cook light for my gf because she's freaking out about fat. I tried telling her that pan frying a skinless, boneless chicken breast in some veg oil is not that fatty and barely adds much fat. She didn't listen.

Even loving cookinglight.com tells me to make crispy buttermilk chicken for christ's sake.
Small (3 pounds or so) whole chicken, pat dry, couple turns of pepper in the cavity, truss, salt liberally with coarse salt, into an oven at 450 until done. Pull from oven, throw some fresh rosemary into the drippings, baste the bird with them, rest, cut in half, done.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Goons, I hate to be like an idiot or something, but is there a basic oatmeal based breakfast bar recipe that I can modify?

Or some good basic breakfast bars that I can modify.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Recently I've been trying to cook with fresher foods. We make a lot of our stuff from scratch (Though it's probably no healthier than the premade poo poo). Either way we've started using fresh garlic in our cooking. However, today I noticed something strange. I bought a few packs of "organic" garlic from the grocery (about a week ago) and opened one pack up, first bulb was fine. Second bulb had a black spot and a fine black powder (For lack of a better description). I threw that bulb away and opened a newer, fresher pack. This pack had the same fine powder. It didn't really look like any soil, but I could be wrong. Is it OK or are the bulbs bad at that point?

edit: I finally found some search terms that said it was a mold. It only seems to be inbetween the cloves and not in the shell of the cloves themselves. Is it OK to use the garlic (wash then take the shell off) or should I chunk it and try to find fresher garlic?

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 25, 2014

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gothmog1065 posted:

edit: I finally found some search terms that said it was a mold. It only seems to be inbetween the cloves and not in the shell of the cloves themselves. Is it OK to use the garlic (wash then take the shell off) or should I chunk it and try to find fresher garlic?

It sounds like a mold, or at least something that shouldn't be there, but I don't really know. I can say that it's easy to find garlic that doesn't have that.

You can usually see dark spots on garlic through the outer peel. Just get garlic heads that look nice and white all the way through and aren't in any way mushy when you feel them.

By the way, organic garlic sounds like a load of poo poo. Maybe, maybe, you could argue against GMO garlic, but organic garlic when you're throwing away everything but the very insides?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

baquerd posted:

It sounds like a mold, or at least something that shouldn't be there, but I don't really know. I can say that it's easy to find garlic that doesn't have that.

You can usually see dark spots on garlic through the outer peel. Just get garlic heads that look nice and white all the way through and aren't in any way mushy when you feel them.

By the way, organic garlic sounds like a load of poo poo. Maybe, maybe, you could argue against GMO garlic, but organic garlic when you're throwing away everything but the very insides?

Really there's only two types of the "jumbo" garlic (maybe that's my mistake?) at the store. The Spice World "Organic" and the loose bulbs, they're both $.50 a bulb. I bought the Spice World brand. Next time I'll go through the loose ones though to check them out.

I really didn't see any of the black until I opened it up, but I'll look closer at the other bulbs and see if I can see any of the black spots.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

By the way it's REALLY good in coffee.

Mmmm, SOLD! Going to make my own aged stuff for the first time this year.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does anyone have a flan recipe they can recommend?

This is the one I did for ICSA Effort, and it was amazing.

Pumpkin Flan aka Caramel Covered Crack

quote:

Pumpkin Flan

Note: I find that this recipe works better if the custard is prepared and ready to go before the caramel is made. You can whiz it all up and keep it nearby until you need it. Once you line your mold with the caramel, you can just quickly pour the custard on top. Timing is everything when it comes to cooking sugar!

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup pumpkin puree
5 eggs
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Boiling water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

For the Caramel:

Combine 1 cup sugar and water in medium, deep, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, and boil, without stirring, until caramel turns a copper brown color, anywhere from about 10-15 minutes.

Using oven mitts, quickly and carefully pour the caramel over bottom and sides of a 10-inch metal pie plate or a flan mold. That caramel will be screaming hot!

For the custard:

Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, cornstarch, spices and vanilla in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Strain custard mixture through a sieve over the caramel, into the pie plate or mold. Arrange in a large roasting pan lined with a clean dish towel.

Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until it comes about halfway up the side of your flan vessel. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. The center of the flan should still jiggle a little when nudged. Cool for about 30 minutes. Chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

To unmold, run a sharp knife around the rim of the mold and gently shake to loosen. Invert onto a serving plate.

Read more: http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com/2010/11/02/pumpkin-flan-aka-caramel-covered-crack/#ixzz3HA6ErMRU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
My 72 hour sous vide lamb shank finishes tonight and I was wondering if there was anything in particular I should do about the sauce. I was planning on searing the shank in a hot pan, then pouring the juice in the bag into the pan (scrape up browned bits) and reduce until thick. Anything else?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno about the bag juice. It's going to have lots of liquid proteins and they're going to turn clumpy and gross when it hits a hot pan.

I'd stick to using another liquid like beef broth or juice or water (hell, even Coke) and using that to deglaze the fond from searing the meat.

In theory, if you cook the bag juice down enough that all the water evaporates out of it, then cook the solids that have been left behind until they turn brown, then deglaze with another liquid, maybe it will add more fond and flavor to the pan sauce. But then you have to worry about the fond from searing the steak getting overcooked while you try to make fond from the bag juice. (shrug) Might be worth an experiment.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

madkapitolist posted:

My 72 hour sous vide lamb shank finishes tonight and I was wondering if there was anything in particular I should do about the sauce. I was planning on searing the shank in a hot pan, then pouring the juice in the bag into the pan (scrape up browned bits) and reduce until thick. Anything else?

Bag juice is terrible, just make a separate sauce.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
So a friend is bringing me some deer meat. I plan to make jerky out of it. Does anyone have suggestions on marinades to try?

Also I didn't get an answer for an earlier question so I'll ask again. Will a danish blue cheese work ok in a broccoli and cheese soup?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I ignorantly added the bag juice to pan sauce once and it was a wreck. I've had decent results adding it to package gravy, tough. I fancy it makes it a touch more authentic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Just add a little salt to the bag juice and drink it up as is.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

This might be a dumb question but I don't know. I bought a container that strains bacon grease and I store the grease in the fridge. I use it once in a rare while when I sweat onions because I usually forget I have it, and when I do use it for things like that, I'm usually making bacon for the recipe anyway so I just use fresh grease.

Anywho, how long does it keep before you really shouldn't use it anymore, if that is even a concern? And what else can I do with it? I try to eat healthy when I cook (except when I make chili), so using bacon grease usually isn't a thought that comes to mind. Realistically though, I'm not overly concerned with health where I don't want to use it. I like flavor.

Edited for grammar

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you keep it in a covered container in the fridge, it will last basically forever.