Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

vuk83 posted:

I want to make a whole chicken in my oven, and i want to make the skin crisp. I have a gas oven only. Any tips to get that skin crisp?

Get the skin as dry as possible, like FGR says. I like to get some oil on there with my salt and then do a really high heat for the first 20-30 minutes of the roast –450 to 500 F.
Rubbing some butter on the skin halfway through doesn't hurt.

I've heard of mixing Baking POWDER with the salt to dry out the skin even more, but I've never tried it. Has anybody tried that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If cocoa powder is um, 100% cocoa powder, how can there be "dark" cocoa powder?

I mean, dark chocolate has no dairy and more cocoa in it, but how do you make something that is already pure cocoa any darker?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Very Strange Things posted:

I've heard of mixing Baking POWDER with the salt to dry out the skin even more, but I've never tried it. Has anybody tried that?

Cornstarch

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Squashy Nipples posted:

If cocoa powder is um, 100% cocoa powder, how can there be "dark" cocoa powder?

I mean, dark chocolate has no dairy and more cocoa in it, but how do you make something that is already pure cocoa any darker?

Dutch process. So it's not "dark" by the normal concept of "cocoa powder content", just by color(?)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

Get the skin as dry as possible, like FGR says. I like to get some oil on there with my salt and then do a really high heat for the first 20-30 minutes of the roast –450 to 500 F.
Rubbing some butter on the skin halfway through doesn't hurt.

I use baking powder and salt on my wings before I put them in the fridge for a day or so. Really helps crisp the skin.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not sure what measurement a 900g loaf pan translates to, but it sounds like your 20cm round is just shy of an 8 inch cake pan. Assuming your volume stays the same and will not overflow the round tin, I would try (converting to metric) check for doneness at about 35-40 minutes at about 180 Celsius. Please note that I don't work with a convection/fan over myself so if you have the option, turn it off.

Thanks. (900g is about 2 pounds, by the way.)

I actually ended up baking it for 1 hour 10 minutes at 160C in the round tin and it seems to have turned out fine. Didn't overflow the tin either (unlike the loaf tin) - then again, it's a silicone tin and rather deep.

I couldn't see any way of turning off the fan.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
So basically I'm on this new medication, and I absolutely CRAVE rice pudding. It's a legit addiction. I've been going through about 3-4 KozyShack 6packs a week. Recently, I had the realization that this stuff has to be pretty easy to make. As far as I'm concerned KozyShack has mastered rice pudding, so I'm really not looking for some fancy recipe. Just a nice simple rice pudding. My strategy, is to sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top, mix up the pudding cup, then devour in about 3 bites. I guess if the recipe involves cinnamon sugar that's a bonus, but I don't want any raisins or anything in it. Please help feed my addiction.

Need Simple Rice Pudding Recipe

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I have a big 20 quart roaster oven and need a recipe for 8 lamb shanks that I'll cook for 8+ hours in it.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

10bux posted:

Need Simple Rice Pudding Recipe

This is the recipe I have been using, with pretty good results. I am also obsessed with Kozy Shack (but don't have the food budget to buy some every week) and I think this recipe comes pretty close.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/classic-rice-pudding.aspx?pg=1

I like to add 8 green cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick while the rice cooks. I think it usually takes me a little longer to reduce the pudding down, maybe 15-20 minutes instead of the 8 minutes the author suggests.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm assembling an xmas list, and I'm interested in either getting a sodastream (I plow through a lot of soda water, I think it honestly would be cheaper) OR an isi whipper plus cartridges. Sodastream advantages include that it's easy to use and will do the primary task I'm interested in (carbonating water) very well, and will probably be more economical from a buying CO2 point of view. ISI whipper can do more stuff and cool stuff, obviously--carbonating fruit and whipping cream and the whatnot.

Thoughts? I'm thinking I'd probably be doing 95% soda-making here, and I'm really interested in cutting down my canned seltzer consumption for the sake of the environment and my pocketbook.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Soda stream is a hugely overpriced inefficient system. Get the whipper, and if you want to carbonate a lot more, then get another carbonation solution.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm assembling an xmas list, and I'm interested in either getting a sodastream (I plow through a lot of soda water, I think it honestly would be cheaper) OR an isi whipper plus cartridges. Sodastream advantages include that it's easy to use and will do the primary task I'm interested in (carbonating water) very well, and will probably be more economical from a buying CO2 point of view. ISI whipper can do more stuff and cool stuff, obviously--carbonating fruit and whipping cream and the whatnot.

Thoughts? I'm thinking I'd probably be doing 95% soda-making here, and I'm really interested in cutting down my canned seltzer consumption for the sake of the environment and my pocketbook.

The sodastream is incredibly convenient IF you keep bottles of water in your fridge to carbonate. The beauty of it is that you can carbonate exactly what you need, so that your seltzer doesn't need to go flat. The bad part is that you cannot use it for flat soda. The needle that goes into the liquid has backflow issues and doesn't let you use it for anything except water. If that is not a concern, get the soda stream, because it is useful to use. Get the whipper too, but only when you're interested in whipping things.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
As always check craigslist first, if you just want it for yourself you can find soda streams for around 40 here, with a bunch of accessories, which puts it in the whim purchase range.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sodastream is built in an illegal factory in occupied Palestine.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's badass. One for the soda stream.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not anymore--they're moving out of Gaza, which is why I'm considering getting one. (I wanted one before and then saw them on the list of people with factories in Gaza.)

That said, seems like looking for one secondhand is the way to go, see if I like it, and then roll from there. Thanks goons!

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 30, 2014

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How should I go about preparing tamarind paste/juice from whole tamarind? A lot of the recipes I see start with a block of tamarind. I'm thinking I'll break off the shell, chop up the fruit, and cook it down in some water. Then I'll strain it. What kind of ratio for weight of tamarind:water should I go for? How long does it usually keep? I was going to make some sambhar or equivalent.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

How should I go about preparing tamarind paste/juice from whole tamarind? A lot of the recipes I see start with a block of tamarind. I'm thinking I'll break off the shell, chop up the fruit, and cook it down in some water. Then I'll strain it. What kind of ratio for weight of tamarind:water should I go for? How long does it usually keep? I was going to make some sambhar or equivalent.

break it up, soak it, strain it

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Here's a guide for the Thai blocks of tamarind if that's what you have.

http://shesimmers.com/2010/05/how-to-prepare-tamarind-pulp-for-thai.html

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nope, coconut fat is the way to go, excellent mouthfeel. Just go a little light with it, or the coconut taste gets too strong.

Use the filtered stuff. No taste at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Other than using lots of butter, what are some more interesting ways for mashing sweet potato? Was thinking of throwing a few cloves of garlic in with the sweet potato as it boiled but looking for other ideas

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

Other than using lots of butter, what are some more interesting ways for mashing sweet potato? Was thinking of throwing a few cloves of garlic in with the sweet potato as it boiled but looking for other ideas

Ras al Hanout, Cumin, Paprika, Cayenne. Top with a little cilantro.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

High calorie option: stir in some sour cream.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Better calorie option - stir in some greek yogurt.

Garlic AS it boiled? blargh.
Put the garlic in after it's done boiling. I'd stir it in after the mashing process is already done, but while it's still hot as poo poo. Or caramelize it first.

But yeah, do what That Works suggested. MMmmmmm.

I'd also try it with rosemary and chopped pecans - with a tiny bit of olive oil.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Would subbing a bit of coconut oil for the butter work for your mashed sweet potato?

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Goat cheese.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

Diastatic malt powder is pretty interesting.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

Not anymore--they're moving out of Gaza, which is why I'm considering getting one. (I wanted one before and then saw them on the list of people with factories in Gaza.)

That said, seems like looking for one secondhand is the way to go, see if I like it, and then roll from there. Thanks goons!

There is an adaptor that you can buy that will let you use a paintball canister in your soda stream. I got mine on amazon. It is about $20 for the adaptor plus you need to buy the canister ( or two if you want a back up) but it takes the refills down from about $15 to $4, fillable at any sporting goods store. I also drink a ton of fizzy water and the adaptor has saved me a ton of money.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I feel goddamned retarded, but I don't know.

I have some ginger root that I left in a pickling solution for a while now, and I recently went to munch on some of it. I sliced it super thin like you'd see at a sushi place, but mine is super stringy and not at all like the soft texture of gari. Is my ginger root subpar or am I not preparing it correctly?

Do I need to slice it first? Parboil it first or something?

All this leads to my next question; what do I do with giant chunks of pickled ginger that are all kinda tough and stringy?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Drifter posted:

I feel goddamned retarded, but I don't know.

I have some ginger root that I left in a pickling solution for a while now, and I recently went to munch on some of it. I sliced it super thin like you'd see at a sushi place, but mine is super stringy and not at all like the soft texture of gari. Is my ginger root subpar or am I not preparing it correctly?

Do I need to slice it first? Parboil it first or something?

All this leads to my next question; what do I do with giant chunks of pickled ginger that are all kinda tough and stringy?

For gari, you need young ginger, I believe. It's much less fibrous, sweeter, and softer.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Drifter posted:

Is my ginger root subpar or am I not preparing it correctly?

The older the ginger the tougher it is. You might as well try slicing it and putting it back in- can't hurt and there's a possibility the acids or whatever could break it down and be softer overall.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Better calorie option - stir in some greek yogurt.

Garlic AS it boiled? blargh.

It works surprisingly well with normal potatoes to get a nice mellow garlic flavour throughout. I decided against it though since sweet potato needs to boil for longer and just tossed a bunch chopped up in the butter I eventually mashed the sweet potato in

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've always wondered, when recipes call for "hot smoked paprika" is that paprika that has been hot smoked? Or paprika that has been smoked, whose peppers have some heat to them?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I've always wondered, when recipes call for "hot smoked paprika" is that paprika that has been hot smoked? Or paprika that has been smoked, whose peppers have some heat to them?

The latter.

edit: to differentiate it from sweet paprika.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cool, I always have gotten the Hungarian sweet paprika and Smoked Spanish style paprika from Penzey's, used the latter for those recipes, and wondered if I had the right stuff. I've always been satisfied with the flavors though.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I was making stock with a turkey carcass and probably used way too much water, but I have a question: Is it better to crack the bones when making stock?

Right now I'm chilling all of the stock in the fridge and will skim off fat and reduce it tomorrow, I'm just wondering if breaking the longer bones would have resulted in more material being leached from the bones. I kept it just under a boil the whole 5 hours so it's clearer than the batch I made earlier where I boiled the chicken bones and got a cloudy but very rich and jelly stock.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

I was making stock with a turkey carcass and probably used way too much water, but I have a question: Is it better to crack the bones when making stock?

Right now I'm chilling all of the stock in the fridge and will skim off fat and reduce it tomorrow, I'm just wondering if breaking the longer bones would have resulted in more material being leached from the bones. I kept it just under a boil the whole 5 hours so it's clearer than the batch I made earlier where I boiled the chicken bones and got a cloudy but very rich and jelly stock.

why are you chilling it? imo you should be skimming it while its still on the stove. besides, a pot of hot stock in the the fridge *you talking a home fridge?) will take an eternity to cool and will likely raise the entire fridge temp.

i dont break up bones. i do score fish bones though.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

twotimer posted:

why are you chilling it? imo you should be skimming it while its still on the stove. besides, a pot of hot stock in the the fridge *you talking a home fridge?) will take an eternity to cool and will likely raise the entire fridge temp.

i dont break up bones. i do score fish bones though.
The stock was split up into lots of little tupperware/rubbermade dishes for chilling, not the whole pot. And a bit in the freezer part of the home fridge/freezer up top combo.

And I'm talking about skimming the chilled fat, aka shmaltz, which is impossible while the hot water is moving. Not skimming the scum during the process, unless that's most of the fat in which case I blew it.

I wish I had bought some dried ice, just drop that in, have a spooky moment, and then proceed as normal.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Eeyo posted:

Would subbing a bit of coconut oil for the butter work for your mashed sweet potato?

That sounds delicious, actually. Throw some cinnamon and maybe some maple sugar in that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a topside of beef roast to cook and usually I follow a timing guide for getting it right, but its a bit of an odd shape for the size so I just want to sear it then roast at 160C. What temperature should I be aiming for when I take it out? Aiming for medium/medium rare