Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've got about a cup of a goat cheese / sour cream / fresh roasted red pepper mix that was used with buffalo wings. What else can I do with it now that I'm out of wings?

Make more wings? Or put it on any meat really. You could eat it off of carrots, bell peppers, or celery. Make a stroganoff with it. Use it as a savory body rub in the bedroom. Pretty much anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've got about a cup of a goat cheese / sour cream / fresh roasted red pepper mix that was used with buffalo wings. What else can I do with it now that I'm out of wings?

Sounds like it would be good as a dip for veggies/chips. Maybe it would be a nice spread to go on a chicken sandwich.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gerblyn posted:

Fair enough! So I guess in conclusion that a marinade of more than 20 minutes or so is usually a waste of time?
There are some special cases, but as a general rule you get everything you're going to (want to) get out of marinating more or less as soon as you do it. The major caveat here is that the marinade itself might need more time for the flavours to set up, depending on e.g. the solubility or volatility of the stuff you care about in the ingredients of the marinade. So you'd get the same result out of mixing up your marinade the night before and then adding it right before the cook as you would, again as a general rule, if you marinated the meat overnight.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I'm planning on making a batch of chili soon. It will be almost entirely pork as far as meat goes on account of I have a freezer full of the stuff, and I refuse to buy beef until I run out. I've got 2.5 pounds of frozen pork tenderloin, frozen in October, 3.2 pounds of pork loin frozen more recently, and a bunch of pork jowl that's been in my freezer for several years, but I don't plan on using more than a pound of it. I'm only really concerned about the jowl, because I've thawed it out and fried it up before and it refused to crisp up, and that was two or three years ago. As far as cooking goes, I'm 100% amateur, so I was just wondering if the jowl's inability to get crispy will be a problem given that it's in a stew that'll be cooking for 6 hours, or if I should follow any special instructions for cooking the loin and tenderloin. Should I brown the loin for longer than I brown the tenderloin before adding it to the pot, or does it not matter because it'll be boiling on low for loving ever? Oh yeah, I've got like a pound of white meat from thanksgiving left over, too, so that'll almost certainly end up in there.

I would tell you what vegetables I plan on using and ingredients I want to use in the broth but I don't want to get made fun of for using canned tomato paste, McCormick spices, Accent flavor enhancer, broth from cartons, and American beer.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm planning on making a batch of chili soon. It will be almost entirely pork as far as meat goes on account of I have a freezer full of the stuff, and I refuse to buy beef until I run out. I've got 2.5 pounds of frozen pork tenderloin, frozen in October, 3.2 pounds of pork loin frozen more recently, and a bunch of pork jowl that's been in my freezer for several years, but I don't plan on using more than a pound of it. I'm only really concerned about the jowl, because I've thawed it out and fried it up before and it refused to crisp up, and that was two or three years ago. As far as cooking goes, I'm 100% amateur, so I was just wondering if the jowl's inability to get crispy will be a problem given that it's in a stew that'll be cooking for 6 hours, or if I should follow any special instructions for cooking the loin and tenderloin. Should I brown the loin for longer than I brown the tenderloin before adding it to the pot, or does it not matter because it'll be boiling on low for loving ever? Oh yeah, I've got like a pound of white meat from thanksgiving left over, too, so that'll almost certainly end up in there.

I would tell you what vegetables I plan on using and ingredients I want to use in the broth but I don't want to get made fun of for using canned tomato paste, McCormick spices, Accent flavor enhancer, broth from cartons, and American beer.

Jowls will be fine. Brown the both porks until they reached desired brown-ness. How cooked they are in the middle doesn't matter since, as you said, the cooking will mostly be done via simmer in the chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The jowl will be good, but tenderloin is a bad cut to put in chilli. It's too lean.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scientastic posted:

The jowl will be good, but tenderloin is a bad cut to put in chilli. It's too lean.

Lean and doesn't add much flavor. Total waste of the inherent tenderness that you'd get cooking it just right (I recommend sous vide at 140 for 2 hours).

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

baquerd posted:

Lean and doesn't add much flavor. Total waste of the inherent tenderness that you'd get cooking it just right (I recommend sous vide at 140 for 2 hours).

He's also putting leftover turkey in and canned vegetables. I don't think he givesaf and prob just wants a pot of something edible. I agree with everything above, but if u wanna throw a pork tenderloin in the chili go for it IMO.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just add it near the end and you wont overcook it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone have a good guide/idiot's handbook to sauces? When it comes to dressing things up for the final mile I tend to draw a blank. I can do a basic stirfry, lots of salad dressing, and a butter/applecider vinegar thing for pan cooked chicken, but that's about as far as my known 'recipes' go.

I realize this is a hugely vague question, I just don't really know where to start learning.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chard posted:

Does anyone have a good guide/idiot's handbook to sauces? When it comes to dressing things up for the final mile I tend to draw a blank. I can do a basic stirfry, lots of salad dressing, and a butter/applecider vinegar thing for pan cooked chicken, but that's about as far as my known 'recipes' go.

I realize this is a hugely vague question, I just don't really know where to start learning.
Peterson's Sauces is a pretty good standard reference.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My local grocery store is having a great sale on pork chops and I'd like to stock up. Can I freeze the pork chops in a marinade (soy sauce, brown sugar, touch of olive oil and spices) or do I need to freeze them untouched?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

GobiasIndustries posted:

My local grocery store is having a great sale on pork chops and I'd like to stock up. Can I freeze the pork chops in a marinade (soy sauce, brown sugar, touch of olive oil and spices) or do I need to freeze them untouched?

Freeze them untouched. That way you won't limit yourself to one set of flavours.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I bought some delicious chimchurri at a farmers market and I want to use it up while it's still good (how long does this last anyway?). I've had it with eggs, rice, and on burgers, but what are some other great uses for it?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cavenagh posted:

Freeze them untouched. That way you won't limit yourself to one set of flavours.

I don't care about variety.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Teeter posted:

I bought some delicious chimchurri at a farmers market and I want to use it up while it's still good (how long does this last anyway?). I've had it with eggs, rice, and on burgers, but what are some other great uses for it?

Grilled beef, that's what it's intended for.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SubG posted:

Peterson's Sauces is a pretty good standard reference.

Thanks, that looks like the ticket

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm planning dinner for next Sunday. I got some duck magrets for the occasion -- I was thinking to sous vide them and then pan sear the skin (as per Great Leader Kenji's instructions). I wanted to serve them over pressure cooker mushroom risotto, also from Food Lab.

With that in mind, I'm wondering what glaze and/or marinade (if any) would work well with a mushroom risotto? In the past, I've marinated duck breast in a maple syrup, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar (with some spices) mix and reduced it for a glaze. But I'm not sure that'd be the best choice here.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Jan posted:

I'm planning dinner for next Sunday. I got some duck magrets for the occasion -- I was thinking to sous vide them and then pan sear the skin (as per Great Leader Kenji's instructions). I wanted to serve them over pressure cooker mushroom risotto, also from Food Lab.

With that in mind, I'm wondering what glaze and/or marinade (if any) would work well with a mushroom risotto? In the past, I've marinated duck breast in a maple syrup, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar (with some spices) mix and reduced it for a glaze. But I'm not sure that'd be the best choice here.

The first thing that popped into my head is something dark and fruity. BlackBerry and some kind of wine sauce?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wouldn't recommend it, you're just adding more liquid to freeze into ice crystals and ruin the texture of your meat. It's also been discussed at length here recently that time in a marinade is pretty much irrelevant, so you probably aren't gaining anything by putting them together. It would be easier and maybe less messy even to freeze batches of marinade and then the pork chops separately.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've made jerky a few times and I've got a recipe I'm find with but how do i get the texture to something like jack links? I'm guessing it involves curing salt and not needing to dry it out as much but I'm not really certain.

If its not possible then I'll just make it as normal

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Chard posted:

I wouldn't start with a specific textbook or anything. Find a type of cuisine you like that you want to learn about (French, Chinese, Middle Eastern, etc) and check out the sauces that go into the recipes. Some will take decent preparation (french sauces, for example) while a lot of them can be sorta overwhelming in their amount of variety off-the-shelf (chinese). Learn about that one, but most most most most important, taste!!!

I've got four different soy sauces in my cabinet right now because I cook chinese food so often, but there were like 15 types at the store which is really overwhelming. So do a little reading and grab the one or two bottles of each 'basic' you need. For chinese, think like 1-2 soy, one vinegar, one cooking wine, one bottle of oyster sauce, and call it a day.

Jose posted:

I've made jerky a few times and I've got a recipe I'm find with but how do i get the texture to something like jack links? I'm guessing it involves curing salt and not needing to dry it out as much but I'm not really certain.

What's your current method? There are bunch of ways to make 'jerky' type meat. For example, I made this stuff a couple nights ago which some of my friends call pork candy because it just melts in your mouth sorta:

That's two pieces there

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jose posted:

I'm not certain I know what jack links are, I've just seen some commercials for it. Does it have a soft texture from being ground and molded? (versus the strip-of-meat type)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

taqueso posted:

I'm not certain I know what jack links are, I've just seen some commercials for it. Does it have a soft texture from being ground and molded? (versus the strip-of-meat type)

That's almost certainly it now you mention it. I guess I'll stick with just drying out strips of meat then

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Jose posted:

That's almost certainly it now you mention it. I guess I'll stick with just drying out strips of meat then

That's how I got the texture in the jerky above, the ground/minced meat method. I actually had some jack links type jerky in the house and from the texture I think that poster above nailed it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jose posted:

I haven't done it, but I think all you need is a way to grind the meat and something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-American-Harvest-Jumbo/dp/B001795P3K/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Tots posted:

The first thing that popped into my head is something dark and fruity. BlackBerry and some kind of wine sauce?

Hmm, blueberry & port is classic. I dunno how well it'd mesh with mushroom risotto, but worse case scenario, I'll have two good things separately. :haw:

Had an amazing mushroom risotto a little while back that was served with just plain duck confit, and didn't finish the duck because the risotto was so much better.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Jan posted:

Hmm, blueberry & port is classic. I dunno how well it'd mesh with mushroom risotto, but worse case scenario, I'll have two good things separately. :haw:

Had an amazing mushroom risotto a little while back that was served with just plain duck confit, and didn't finish the duck because the risotto was so much better.

I'd be looking in the Anise flavour area. Fennel, tarragon. Both pair well with mushroom and duck so could bridge the gap. A bit fruitier could be Apricot, which is often used with mushroom and game in the UK. Might work with duck.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Cavenagh posted:

I'd be looking in the Anise flavour area. Fennel, tarragon. Both pair well with mushroom and duck so could bridge the gap. A bit fruitier could be Apricot, which is often used with mushroom and game in the UK. Might work with duck.

This idea is much better than my original idea

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I've heard a lot recently (and read a good seriouseats article) about marinating time not mattering so much. Does this only apply to whole, intact pieces of meat? Or ground meat mixes too?
Like If I was making a burger or something and got my ground beef and spices mixed the right before, would it make a difference vs doing it an hour before cooking?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I've heard a lot recently (and read a good seriouseats article) about marinating time not mattering so much. Does this only apply to whole, intact pieces of meat? Or ground meat mixes too?
Like If I was making a burger or something and got my ground beef and spices mixed the right before, would it make a difference vs doing it an hour before cooking?

Salting ground beef early apparently makes it tough. I think this has been proven, and isn't one of those kitchen myths. But I could be wrong. So don't salt your ground beef until right before cooking.

For solid pieces of meat, the marinade flavors aren't gonna penetrate more than 1/16 of an inch or so even if you marinate for a full day. The salt might, but there's :science: reasons for that that don't apply to the flavor compounds you're trying to get in when you marinate. So all you should really look for is getting it into all the cracks and crevices. And strong acids acids or certain enzymes (like in pineapple juice) can make your meat

Also, if you're using a marinade with a lot of sugar, consider just turning it into a sauce that you can apply after cooking. Sugar likes to burn and burned sugar is not tasty. Obviously you can cook at a lower heat so as not to do that, but there are tradeoffs there as well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Salting ground beef early apparently makes it tough. I think this has been proven, and isn't one of those kitchen myths. But I could be wrong. So don't salt your ground beef until right before cooking.

For solid pieces of meat, the marinade flavors aren't gonna penetrate more than 1/16 of an inch or so even if you marinate for a full day. The salt might, but there's :science: reasons for that that don't apply to the flavor compounds you're trying to get in when you marinate. So all you should really look for is getting it into all the cracks and crevices. And strong acids acids or certain enzymes (like in pineapple juice) can make your meat

Also, if you're using a marinade with a lot of sugar, consider just turning it into a sauce that you can apply after cooking. Sugar likes to burn and burned sugar is not tasty. Obviously you can cook at a lower heat so as not to do that, but there are tradeoffs there as well.

I like sugar in marinades that I'm putting on stuff that will be broiled, it helps make the meat crisp up nice but does not burn. Like my standard Asian marinade for broiled chicken thighs is soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, grated garlic and ginger, black pepper, sugar and some corn starch, it works really well.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hmm you know, I've heard that about ground beef. Maybe I should use a different example. Does ground pork work the same way, as far as you know? With the toughening element, I mean. It might even help me here, I actually want my end product to be a little chewier. Thanks!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make your own conclusion? http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html I believe you'd find the same results for any ground meat, even human.

IMO if you want chewier meat just cook it into leather.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Really what salting ground meat early does is create sausage. Which can be delicious! But it's often not what you're going for.

Given the large surface area to volume ratio of ground meat, there's really not a whole lot of good to come from a long marinade. Any benefits are basically going to happen immediately.

Do check out japanese recipes using ground meat, though! Soboro is basically marinated ground meat.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm doing 4-course shenannigans for Valentimes but I think I need some help figuring out the specifics. The through-threads of the menu are going to be ricotta and fresh marjoram, I think. I'm pretty tied to ricotta but the herb could change--tarragon would also probably work really well.

Course 1: roasted golden beets, ricotta, crushed walnuts, crispy fried marjoram, salt & pepper. (Not a huge dish, probably plated in a spoon.)

Course 2: Ravioli al ouvo, one giant ravioli with an egg yolk inside surrounded by ricotta filling and in an herb butter sauce. Dressed with lemon and probably pretty little leaves of arugula or some poo poo to add color / fun.

Course 3: This is the one I'm having trouble with. I want to confit some pork (country ribs, I think) in some oil. It'll be really rich so I was thinking maybe a quick pickle of kumquats, radishes, and maybe scallions or something to garnish (plus some pretty leaves of arugula or some poo poo). I was also thinking cheese gougeres (this recipe) to go on the side. But I'm afraid it might eat kind of dry? Does it need a sauce instead of / in addition to pickled veg? Should I skip the gougeres and do another side? Help?

Course 5: Little baby chocolate meringues / pavlovas filled with sweetened ricotta and topped with chocolate sauce and herbed raspberry sauce, because why do one sauce when you can do two?

Secret 5th course: I'm a tool, I bought miracle berry pills because ~weeee flavor tripping~ i am 5 years behind the curve. We'll do shots of vinegar as an apertif. Secret 6 course is probably an antacid.

Does anyone have thoughts? I did a dinner of this size for Valentimes last year and mostly learned that I can execute like a champion but I really need to whittle the portion size way down if we're gonna make it through that much food. I'm definitely taking that into consideration. I don't really want to go a chilis-tomatillos-mole-barbeque braised pork kind of sauce with the confit pork because the rest of the whole thing is so Italian / French otherwise. It's just gonna be super rich and I want something to cut / compliment that richness.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 12, 2016

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Sounds like a good menu to me. I'd go with tarragon over marjoram as anise goes wonderfully with beetroot, egg and pork. Plus it's kinda my flavour, so I'm naturally biased towards it. You certainly need something to cut the pork confit and a pickled kumquat should work well for that. Maybe pickled apple or pear and fennel? I certainly would discard the gougeres or serve them as a cheese course. With the pickled kumquats and make a wine and berry sauce for the pork.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Oh man. Apple! It's like you switched on a light on my brain. Duh, pickled apple and radish and kumquat. And maybe a little bloop of ricotta on top so it's not just a pile of meat topped with pickle? Or am I basically describing a rillete at this point and I should make some fresh bread to go with?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Jan posted:

You want to tie the mushrooms and duck together, so I'd go for thyme and red wine. If you need some acidity to cut all the richness, I'd pickle some of your shrooms as garnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Nicol Bolas posted:

Oh man. Apple! It's like you switched on a light on my brain. Duh, pickled apple and radish and kumquat. And maybe a little bloop of ricotta on top so it's not just a pile of meat topped with pickle? Or am I basically describing a rillete at this point and I should make some fresh bread to go with?

Sounds like a dish we would do at my restaurant.. brined, braised, then roasted pork belly on top of a sweet potato or corn biscuit (depending on the season), and different sauces and garni based on the season. Onion and fig jam with pickled peaches, chestnut butter with pickled cherries. I'm not really feeling the radish at all. Quince would be awesome.