Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Was re-watching The Sopranos and in the middle of an episode one of the characters advised that, after draining pasta, you should toss a bit of sauce & a slice of butter in and keep it on heat for a bit under a minute to infuse the sauce flavor into the pasta. I know it's a TV show but I found a few blogs and cooking places recommending a similar technique..does this make an appreciable difference or would the quality of sauce be more important?
It's legit. The quality of the sauce is more important, but most noodles (not just pasta) benefit from holding with a little heat after saucing. The effect is more pronounced with noodles with more texture than it is with smoother noodles. Most `premium' or whatever pasta noodles that extruded through sintered bronze dies, for example, will have a rougher texture than your average grocery store brand, and the effect there is more noticeable.

But yeah both heating after saucing and adding a little (starchy) pasta water both help with sauce adhesion and consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pasta plopped on a plate straight from the colander with a single big-rear end splotch of sauce on top is pretty much the worst way to eat pasta

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I do not have a blender, food processor or mixer but lately I have been cooking more and a lot of recipes call for them. If I was only to get one thing is their some kind of hybrid that would do 2/3 or a cheap option for them?

e:

Processor was a lot cheaper than I thought, only $25 for the best seller
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-70740-8-Cup-Processor/dp/B00755KNCS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1464222937&sr=1-1

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 26, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

goodness posted:

I do not have a blender, food processor or mixer but lately I have been cooking more and a lot of recipes call for them. If I was only to get one thing is their some kind of hybrid that would do 2/3 or a cheap option for them?

e:

Processor was a lot cheaper than I thought, only $25 for the best seller
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-70740-8-Cup-Processor/dp/B00755KNCS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1464222937&sr=1-1

I'd say get the processor especially since it has the disc. Mixer for dough, blender for drinks I guess? If I had to rank them I'd go with processor, then blender, then mixer. A Kitchenaid with the full battery of attachments can do a lot of what a processor can and more, but it can't do salsas and hummus like a processor.

I wouldn't even bother with the mixerblender unless you're a huge fan of fruity drinks or shakes; they're not expensive but that's a lot of storage space for not much versatility.

e: yeah that's what I meant.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 26, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Cheapest option is probably to pickup an old Oster Kitchen Center

You can find them used for 20-40 in thrift stores. I used to have one that got left at an ex's place when I moved out.

Biggest drawback is you are better with a dedicated appliance for each and the oster takes up lots of counter and cupboard space storing all the attachments.

You can probably thrift or craigslist an oster blender, cusinart food processor and a kitchenaid mixer for cheap.

Having owned several food processors, blenders and mixers you are better off buying quality used than buying the new junk that is offered today.

For a Cusinart look for one with paddles on the bottom as it's way easier to pulse than ones with knobs and the blades on non cusinart processors are generally better at tearing than chopping/slicing. If you want to make pie crusts go with at least a 10+ cup model. Mine is a DLC-8 which is an 11 cup and at times it'd be nice to have even more capacity.

For kitchenaid just look for a good price. Artisan and newer models are supposedly made with plastic gears that are more likely to break but mine is going strong after 6+ years.

For blenders I like the old osters with the easily removable blade. They are a bit retro looking but you can pop it apart and paint it like I did with the green one pictured. it was originally beige/brown. You can also upgrade the blade to a 6 blade model if you want to get fancy.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

hogmartin posted:

I wouldn't even bother with the mixer unless you're a huge fan of fruity drinks or shakes; they're not expensive but that's a lot of storage space for not much versatility.

You mean a Blender, right?

Anyways, I think a mixer is only really necessary if you bake a lot and if you want to save time. They're great for kneading bread dough, and whipping egg whites and cream, but you can do all of those easily enough by hand if you need to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hogmartin posted:

I wouldn't even bother with the mixer unless you're a huge fan of fruity drinks or shakes; they're not expensive but that's a lot of storage space for not much versatility.
They are also good for salsa/dips and general chopping/dicing if you hate knifework.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

You mean a Blender, right?

Anyways, I think a mixer is only really necessary if you bake a lot and if you want to save time. They're great for kneading bread dough, and whipping egg whites and cream, but you can do all of those easily enough by hand if you need to.

Oops yes, my mistake. If I had to pick one I'd get a processor for versatility, since you get the disc as well as the blades. If I only had room for two I'd ditch the blender because I don't often have a need for the one thing it does really well.

Going back to goodness' original question, what kinds of recipes are you looking at in particular?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

any KA pro or lift model does not have plastic gears now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My grandpa has made a million margaritas in his osterizer blender, that thing is a tank.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All the old Oster stuff is amazing. My mom still has the same kitchen system she's been using since the late 70s/early 80s and it's never let her down despite near daily use.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

hogmartin posted:

Oops yes, my mistake. If I had to pick one I'd get a processor for versatility, since you get the disc as well as the blades. If I only had room for two I'd ditch the blender because I don't often have a need for the one thing it does really well.

Going back to goodness' original question, what kinds of recipes are you looking at in particular?

Thanks for the detailed responses!

I started thinking about this as we have been wanting to make salsa. Got to the point of wanting to buy one last night after failing to put together a decent salad dressing. The recipe called for processor but I had to mix by hand and it was meh to say the least (Greek yogurt, lime, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, vinegar)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

Thanks for the detailed responses!

I started thinking about this as we have been wanting to make salsa. Got to the point of wanting to buy one last night after failing to put together a decent salad dressing. The recipe called for processor but I had to mix by hand and it was meh to say the least (Greek yogurt, lime, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, vinegar)

An immersion blender comes with a processor attachment and is quite a bit less of an investment than a full-on processor. Less storage space taken up, too.

I've got one similar to this and it's worked to great effect.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

A stick blender of some kind is amazing for blending chunky soups. Waaaaay better than transferring hot soup from pot to blender and back.

I don't like the ones with a big barrier around the outside though, not sure what it's there for tbh (safety?) but it easily gunks up with poo poo like celery etc.

edit: this is the one my dad has and it owns bones. Expensive yeah but it's a beast and that's the kind of blade setup that won't get gunked up as easily.
http://www.amazon.com/Bamix-Pro-3-P...ds=hand+blender

NLJP fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 27, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

I never knew Leonard from Community was real.

NLJP posted:

A stick blender of some kind is amazing for blending chunky soups. Waaaaay better than transferring hot soup from pot to blender and back.

I don't like the ones with a big barrier around the outside though, not sure what it's there for tbh (safety?) but it easily gunks up with poo poo like celery etc.

edit: this is the one my dad has and it owns bones. Expensive yeah but it's a beast and that's the kind of blade setup that won't get gunked up as easily.
http://www.amazon.com/Bamix-Pro-3-P...ds=hand+blender

Yeah try and avoid a model with those doofy plastic outer guards if you can. They're especially lovely if you're pureeing chopped tomatoes, so much stuff gets caught up in there. Immersion blenders totally changed my whole game up, can't recommend them enough. Being able to produce creamed potatoes on a whim is deffo a panty dropper.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Immersion blenders are boss. Make some generic tomato pasta sauce and put way more olive oil in it than seems like a good idea, like you want a slick of olive oil floating on top (good olive oil of course). Then immersion blend that poo poo and turn it into a tomato olive oil emulsion and just rub it all over yourself in ecstasy.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anyone have a recipe they can recommend for vegetarian potstickers?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

What is the tastier way to cook lamb shanks? Braising or baking? Does anyone have any good recipes?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

fickle poofterist posted:

What is the tastier way to cook lamb shanks? Braising or baking? Does anyone have any good recipes?

Braise with super-flavorful stock, lots of salt or it's not gonna taste like anything.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

psychokitty posted:

Braise with super-flavorful stock, lots of salt or it's not gonna taste like anything.

So baking it is, seeing as my stock is fresh and only has a couple veges in it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
use a lot of red wine too

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So I've got a 12 oz porterhouse steak. I'll sear that bad boy over flame tonight with just simple garlic butter and a few shakes of cracked black pepper. Good meat doesn't need much help.

But here's the question: What to eat with it? I'm home alone this weekend and that usually isn't the case. I'm trying to think of sides for one, and the market is out of fresh asparagus (e: well, what they have left just doesn't look too good), which would usually be my go-to. Sauteed green beans maybe? One single hasselback potato? Just rip apart some veggies and throw together a small salad?

I want to minimize leftovers unless it's something that keeps very well, I may not be here much myself for the rest of the weekend after today.

Got any cool ideas?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Got any cool ideas?

Just throw together a small salad, except a salad you don't ordinarily make. Maybe fattoush or the Indian one with cucumber and yogurt?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Chop a big russet potato into cubes. Chop a small onion up and dice a garlic clove. Mix all that together, season with salt and pepper, lay it on aluminum foil, and put 3-4 pats of butter on it. Wrap the foil up into a packet and seal it. Put it on the grill for about 15-20 minutes. Easy and grub.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

hogmartin posted:

Just throw together a small salad, except a salad you don't ordinarily make. Maybe fattoush or the Indian one with cucumber and yogurt?

Problem with something like a cucumber is I'd end up wasting like half of it. Still kinda thinking about it but...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Chop a big russet potato into cubes. Chop a small onion up and dice a garlic clove. Mix all that together, season with salt and pepper, lay it on aluminum foil, and put 3-4 pats of butter on it. Wrap the foil up into a packet and seal it. Put it on the grill for about 15-20 minutes. Easy and grub.

poo poo I like this idea. And I could start it on the grill and let it do its thing while I season the steak (it's thin so it'll get to medium rare in like 5 minutes)

Thanks guys :)

e: VVV god drat that looks nice too. Decisions, decisions.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 28, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've made http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1511/grilled-red-onion-and-potato-salad a few times and its nice and simple and will also use the grill and spare onions/potatoes will last a while anyway

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a plating megathread anywhere? I feel really good about my food in terms of flavor but I suck at plating it. I feel like I should be better at this but I don't know how to GET better at it, and plenty of folks on here are amazing at it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fickle poofterist posted:

So baking it is, seeing as my stock is fresh and only has a couple veges in it.

Braise in red wine with garlic, onion, carrots, celery and some little tiny mushrooms

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a source for squash blossoms. What should I do with them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Tempura is always good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I feel like doing a steak and pasta dish. I lack tall pots so it'll probably be a smaller pasta like macaroni or bowties.

How I make good? I was thinking I might do a carbonara type thing with eggs tossed into the pasta and chop the steak on top.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Steve Yun posted:

Stuff them with ricotta and fry them.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Wanted to grill a marinated flank steak, but Publix was out. I ended up with some tri-tip instead. Can I treat it like I would have the flank steak? Or is there something different I should do? For the record, the marinade is a mix of lime and orange juices, olive oil, fresh oregano and cilantro, salt, pepper, and some other spices.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking at getting a blender. Opinions on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-5300-Blender-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01688AFFC/

Is it $200 better than this? http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Professional-Blender-1000-BL610/dp/B00NGV4506/

Mainly just making smoothies / juices / etc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking at getting a blender. Opinions on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-5300-Blender-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01688AFFC/

Is it $200 better than this? http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Professional-Blender-1000-BL610/dp/B00NGV4506/

Mainly just making smoothies / juices / etc.

It is, the ninja ones are less powerful but the real problem they have is a habit of burning out their motors after a year or so, the Vitamix will be forever, your grandchildren will make smoothies with the thing.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
For a long time I made smoothies in some non-Vitamix bullshit and would try to put some leafy greens tougher than spinach in and it would always be grainy and not-quite-totally-blended. Now I snap the beets off of beet greens, wash them off and throw the leaves and stalks in a Vitamix with some smoothie stuff and it comes out floofy and red and great. Get it. It was my tax return spending one year and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone make stock using bones that have been eaten from? I never even considered it because of germs, but tonight I was eating these drummies and thinking about how long the simmering takes... I figure in ye olden tymes they definitely did but they also died of plague and dysentery so that's at best a wash. This is a very stupid idea, right?

e: if I'd thought of keeping these bones ahead of time I'd just have picked them, just sort of wondering if they were salvageable.

Chard fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 29, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

LongSack posted:

Wanted to grill a marinated flank steak, but Publix was out. I ended up with some tri-tip instead. Can I treat it like I would have the flank steak? Or is there something different I should do? For the record, the marinade is a mix of lime and orange juices, olive oil, fresh oregano and cilantro, salt, pepper, and some other spices.

If it's a whole piece, Put the whole tri tip on the cool side of your grill for about 10 a side, then sear it off on the hot side to get it all nice and crusty.

If it's not, them do whatever you want I guess. I've never cooked tri tip except as the entire cut.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always use the bones I've eaten from. It only takes a couple of seconds at simmer temperatures to sterilize anything, and it's going for hours. Unless your mouth is full of volcano dwelling extremophiles nothing is going to be alive in there when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chard posted:

Does anyone make stock using bones that have been eaten from? I never even considered it because of germs, but tonight I was eating these drummies and thinking about how long the simmering takes... I figure in ye olden tymes they definitely did but they also died of plague and dysentery so that's at best a wash. This is a very stupid idea, right?

e: if I'd thought of keeping these bones ahead of time I'd just have picked them, just sort of wondering if they were salvageable.

Yeah it's no problem. I save all the bones from our meals and toss em in the freezer until I get a good bag full and make stock. If you are worried, bring it up to a rolling boil for a couple minutes before dropping to a simmer, or bonus, use a pressure cooker and save a lot of time and have virtually 0 concerns about sterility.