Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Uhhhh, freeze and then sear with a blowtorch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there any way to successfully pan cook a very thin steak to medium rare with crust? Less than half an inch I'm guessing. I've tried a quick sear which overcooked, oven and sear which overcooked and produced no crust, and cook from frozen which was the best of the three but still came out well done and didn't develop much crust by that point.

Might be better just doing a Milanese

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there any way to successfully pan cook a very thin steak to medium rare with crust? Less than half an inch I'm guessing. I've tried a quick sear which overcooked, oven and sear which overcooked and produced no crust, and cook from frozen which was the best of the three but still came out well done and didn't develop much crust by that point.

I'm guessing something like drying the outside well before hand would help, like leave it on a rack in the fridge for a day before hand, preferably in a location where the fridge's fan will be blowing over it. You could try freezing it after that and then putting it in a stupid hot cast iron pan. I haven't tried any of this on a steak, I have done the drying method on a few roasts to get better crust so I know it works, the rest is just me throwing ideas out that might work.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I would like to preserve a large quantity of eggs for my weekly breakfast consumption in advance. I eat 8 eggs a day, just made into an omelet or scrambled, nothing special. I don't have time to cook in the morning before I have to go to work though, so I've come asking for help in learning a way to store these for the week to come. I do not care about the taste, I eat them for the nutrition.

Can I just fry the 8 eggs (40 eggs total for the week), and throw them all into a tupperware in the fridge, and they'll be ok to take out daily to microwave? Will they lose any of their nutritional content being stored in this way, say when Friday comes around and I'm eating the last of them?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why wouldn't you just do hard-boiled?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Subways Jared posted:

I would like to preserve a large quantity of eggs for my weekly breakfast consumption in advance. I eat 8 eggs a day, just made into an omelet or scrambled, nothing special. I don't have time to cook in the morning before I have to go to work though, so I've come asking for help in learning a way to store these for the week to come. I do not care about the taste, I eat them for the nutrition.

Can I just fry the 8 eggs (40 eggs total for the week), and throw them all into a tupperware in the fridge, and they'll be ok to take out daily to microwave? Will they lose any of their nutritional content being stored in this way, say when Friday comes around and I'm eating the last of them?

You can keep cooked eggs in the fridge for 3-4 days, but in my experience doing that with fried eggs will basically turn them into little grey rubber discs. Any nice browning around the edge of the egg will basically turn into razor wire. I know you said you don't care about the taste but it's straight up going to be unpleasant to eat, I'm talking the culinary equivalent of crying clown pictures.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can store poached eggs in water but poaching 40 eggs sounds like torture.

Scrambled eggs definitely keep better than fried.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subways Jared posted:

Hard boiled then pickled works well, pain in the butt to peel all those eggs though. You might be able to find pickled eggs sold in jars at the grocery depending on where you live but it's not going to be nearly as cheap as making them yourself.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Thank you for all the advice. It looks like I'll have to experiment a little. I didn't think about poaching/hard boiled, although it seems to obviously be the most sensible approach. But peeling 40 eggs is a real bummer. I think I'll try the scrambled route first, and find some way to measure out my daily portions. It might help to explain I'm a bodybuilder, so I have to consume a lot of protein/calories daily and prepare my meals for the week on the weekend when I'm off work. I have to eat 6 meals a day plus shakes, and I just don't have time to cook all that everyday.

My next question is the same for the storage/refrigeration of rice. I use a rice cooker as it is now the night before to prepare my rice for the coming day. I really want to cut out that nightly prep and prepare the rice on the weekend. I've found in the past that rice in the fridge only stays good for 2 days before it turns hard and un-eatable. Is there any tips or tricks for preparing cooked-rice and storing it so that it lasts 5 days without turning hard? Or am I grasping at straws here?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subways Jared posted:

Thank you for all the advice. It looks like I'll have to experiment a little. I didn't think about poaching/hard boiled, although it seems to obviously be the most sensible approach. But peeling 40 eggs is a real bummer. I think I'll try the scrambled route first, and find some way to measure out my daily portions. It might help to explain I'm a bodybuilder, so I have to consume a lot of protein/calories daily and prepare my meals for the week on the weekend when I'm off work. I have to eat 6 meals a day plus shakes, and I just don't have time to cook all that everyday.

My next question is the same for the storage/refrigeration of rice. I use a rice cooker as it is now the night before to prepare my rice for the coming day. I really want to cut out that nightly prep and prepare the rice on the weekend. I've found in the past that rice in the fridge only stays good for 2 days before it turns hard and un-eatable. Is there any tips or tricks for preparing cooked-rice and storing it so that it lasts 5 days without turning hard? Or am I grasping at straws here?

Rice frequently contains a spore/bacteria that gets activated after cooking and if stored for a long time will multiply and produce a toxin that induces fairly severe food poisoning: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Subways Jared posted:

For the eggs, you don't have to peel them as you make them. Unless you're REALLY strapped for time in the morning you can just keep the cooked eggs in their shells in the fridge and peel them as you eat them.

If you're really desperate there are products out there that peel eggs for you or even make hard-boiled eggs without the shells. Who knows, you may even be the first person to actually get Eggies to work!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Subways Jared posted:

Make the rice into balls and wrap the balls with saran wrap. You can freeze them and microwave to revive.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'll give the hard boiled without shell a shot tomorrow. Thanks Dijon.

taqueso posted:

Make the rice into balls and wrap the balls with saran wrap. You can freeze them and microwave to revive.

How do I make the rice into a ball? It's sticky when it comes out the cooker, but hot as hell. Will it still be sticky enough to form into a ball with my hands after it cools? And most importantly, after coming out the freezer and into the microwave, it won't be hard?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just had a thought. What if you hit a muffin tray with nonstick spray, crack an egg (or two, depending on the muffin size and egg size), and bake them? Would be WAY easier than poaching and less fuss than peeling hard boiled eggs. They'll also be thicker than frying eggs in a pan so they may not dry out as much? You could also beat the eggs first and make bigger 'muffins' by using more of the mixture in each tin.

angor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 23, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Subways Jared posted:

I'll give the hard boiled without shell a shot tomorrow. Thanks Dijon.

Wait, do you actually have Eggies on hand?

Because just to be clear when I say "you can make boiled eggs without the shell" I meant "there are devices with which you can make boiled eggs without the shell." If you crack an egg directly into boiling water you're just making a halfhearted poached egg. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

angor posted:

Just had a thought. What if you hit a muffin tray with nonstick spray, crack an egg (or two, depending on the muffin size and egg size), and bake them? Would be WAY easier than poaching and less fuss than peeling hard boiled eggs. They'll also be thicker than frying eggs in a pan so they may not dry out as much?

As long as you're baking them you might as well add a little milk (if you're allowed milk in your diet) and make little proto-quiches. The extra liquid will help keep them from drying out so much in the fridge, as well.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 23, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Subways Jared posted:

How do I make the rice into a ball? It's sticky when it comes out the cooker, but hot as hell. Will it still be sticky enough to form into a ball with my hands after it cools? And most importantly, after coming out the freezer and into the microwave, it won't be hard?

You want to ball up the rice while it is still warm, so the moisture is in there. It doesn't have to be piping hot straight out of the cooker, though. The rice comes out surprisingly well after microwaving.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Wait, do you actually have Eggies on hand?

Because just to be clear when I say "you can make boiled eggs without the shell" I meant "there are devices with which you can make boiled eggs without the shell." If you crack an egg directly into boiling water you're just making a halfhearted poached egg. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

As long as you're baking them you might as well add a little milk (if you're allowed milk in your diet) and make little proto-quiches. The extra liquid will help keep them from drying out so much in the fridge, as well.

I meant hard boiled in general, then peel and keep them in water in the fridge. But honestly this muffin tray idea sounds pretty brilliant. I may as well try each method - scrambling, hard boiled, and baking, with like ten eggs each and see which method ends up working best.

I suppose with the rice the saran wrap keeps enough moisture in to revive them. I'm going to give it a go, since nightly rice cooking is such a pain. I really need all 6 meals for each day chilling by Sunday night so I don't need to cook during the week. I seriously have no free time being a full time worker and full time bodybuilder.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

taqueso posted:

You want to ball up the rice while it is still warm, so the moisture is in there. It doesn't have to be piping hot straight out of the cooker, though. The rice comes out surprisingly well after microwaving.

Also have a little water in a bowl on hand and wet your hands while making the rice balls, it prevents sticking. You can also salt the water a little to season the rice a bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Subways Jared posted:

My next question is the same for the storage/refrigeration of rice. I use a rice cooker as it is now the night before to prepare my rice for the coming day. I really want to cut out that nightly prep and prepare the rice on the weekend.

shoulda bought a zojirushi or any programmable rice maker on the market--you can have it ready for you in the morning every day. I dont see how you could really save yourself much time by making something as simple as rice days in advance.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Subways Jared posted:

I meant hard boiled in general, then peel and keep them in water in the fridge. But honestly this muffin tray idea sounds pretty brilliant. I may as well try each method - scrambling, hard boiled, and baking, with like ten eggs each and see which method ends up working best.

I suppose with the rice the saran wrap keeps enough moisture in to revive them. I'm going to give it a go, since nightly rice cooking is such a pain. I really need all 6 meals for each day chilling by Sunday night so I don't need to cook during the week. I seriously have no free time being a full time worker and full time bodybuilder.

If you want to go the poaching route, pick up some silicone cups like these. They make poaching much easier, and you can just toss the poached eggs into a tupperware and cover with water - they'll keep for about a week.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Subways Jared posted:

But honestly this muffin tray idea sounds pretty brilliant.

Alan Thrall has a meal prep video where he makes bacon/spinach/eggs in a muffin pan (https://youtu.be/ZDwoDF6y_is)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, why do you eat 8 eggs a day? Bodybuilding thing?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why do you eat 8 eggs a day? Bodybuilding thing?

When he said he was a body builder...

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'll use the water bowl and salt tip, taqueso. Thanks. I'm so glad I asked here, y'all really know your prep.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you want to go the poaching route, pick up some silicone cups like these. They make poaching much easier, and you can just toss the poached eggs into a tupperware and cover with water - they'll keep for about a week.
I'll add poaching to the 4 methods I try tomorrow. I think I've seen those cups at Walmart, I'm going tonight anyway.

That Alan thrall video on the muffin tray is helpful rgocs, cheers.

8 eggs, 4 chicken breasts, and 1 steak a day for my proteins due to bodybuilding, wiggles. 6'2" and 208lbs. Of muscle to feed while still trying to add weight. Sounds like a lot, but it's nothing compared to what the pros eat. Just so much food prep for a whole week due to time constraints.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Subways Jared posted:

I'll use the water bowl and salt tip, taqueso. Thanks. I'm so glad I asked here, y'all really know your prep.

I'll add poaching to the 4 methods I try tomorrow. I think I've seen those cups at Walmart, I'm going tonight anyway.

8 eggs, 4 chicken breasts, and 1 steak a day for my proteins due to bodybuilding, wiggles. 6'2" and 208lbs. Of muscle to feed while still trying to add weight. Sounds like a lot, but it's nothing compared to what the pros eat. Just so much food prep for a whole week due to time constraints.

Oh! You can also just skip the whole muffin pan thing, and make a big rear end frittata in a big baking dish, then just slice it up when cool. Easy to portion and if you want you can throw some spinach or other veggies in there for extra fiber or flavor. I've done something similar and they microwave up quite nicely.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Subways Jared posted:

Something I know which works well for musclebros with little time on their hands is pre-preparing steel cut oats, putting portions into Jars/Ziplock bags and reheating in the morning. Doesn't have a negative impact on taste/texture and it's super easy.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

shoulda bought a zojirushi or any programmable rice maker on the market--you can have it ready for you in the morning every day. I dont see how you could really save yourself much time by making something as simple as rice days in advance.

Agreed on this point, I often set up the rice cooker and go a little light on the water in favor of some sesame oil. There is no better smell to wake up to. Here's the one I use:
https://smile.amazon.com/Housewares-ARC-914SBD-Cool-Touch-Stainless-Exterior/dp/B007WQ9YNO
Just measure and rinse the rice, add the water, set the timer. Toss it in a tupperware container on your way out the door.

I appreciate your goals, needs, &c. but coming out of nowhere with 8 eggs per day I have to admit I just cracked up laughing. It's like "Hey guys I am a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE and I need EIGHT TONS of ANTHRACITE COAL to fire my GIGANTIC BOILERS every day, pls help"

I use a combo toaster/egg steamer but that makes a little eggy muffin for one, I don't think it will do you any good with the quantities you're looking for.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

When he said he was a body builder...

Oh, um, hrm......

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Subways Jared posted:

My wife did Olympic Lifting competitions for a long time and I made a breakfast bar for her that was 6 breakfasts at once. I cooked 3 sweet potatoes (steaming in a pressure cooker is quite fast for this) until they were soft, peeled them and then let them cool and mashed them up. I added in 1 ripe banana, mashed and then 18 eggs along with vanilla extract, a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I blended this up with a hand mixer and dumped into a large greased baking dish (a little over 8"x16") and baked this for 1.5h at 275F. Let cool and cut into 6 pieces. This ends up being 3 eggs and 1/2 a sweet potato per square and makes a nice quick breakfast with a lot of protein. If that's not your thing you could do something just with eggs (try 24) along with some meat and or vegetables (ham and peas are good) and bake in a greased dish for the same time / temp or until it sets. This ends up being again an easily packable high protein meal that will keep for a week in the fridge.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Anyone got a really killer recipe for candied nuts? It's a little early to be thinking about this, but I'd like this year to be the year my friend with celiac doesn't get hosed out of a holiday food gift because I only made cookies. I've been given this kind of gift by two different people before, and they were awesome, but both their recipes are kept secret.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

guppy posted:

Anyone got a really killer recipe for candied nuts? It's a little early to be thinking about this, but I'd like this year to be the year my friend with celiac doesn't get hosed out of a holiday food gift because I only made cookies. I've been given this kind of gift by two different people before, and they were awesome, but both their recipes are kept secret.

I like to make macadamia turtles. They are pretty simple and there are some good recipes online.

Just take a little cluster of macadamias, melt a caramel cream to bond them together, wait for it to cool, then coat it in chocolate (melt a bunch of chocolate chips).

Also, if anyone has advice on macarons, I am making some tomorrow. Put me in your prayers.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

guppy posted:

I like making hot pecans. Take a pound of pecan halves, a cup of sugar, tsp each of cinnamon and salt, an egg white, and an appropriate amount of habanero powder (i like 3/4 tsp per lb, ymmv). Get everything mixified and throw it in a lowish oven (250F or thereabouts) for about an hour, or until they look too good to leave in the oven.

Hot sweet nuts for everyone

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

William Stoner posted:

Also, if anyone has advice on macarons, I am making some tomorrow. Put me in your prayers.

Firstly, don't worry about it, because macaron are not particularly hard to make. They are hard to make perfectly, there's a good chance that your macaron will be cracked or a little wonky looking, but actually getting them with the right taste and texture is pretty straightforward.

Anyways, some random tips that I picked up in my several attempts to make them myself.

- You need to slightly over whip your meringue before adding the almond flour/sugar mix. Once you get to the stiff peaks phase, you need to whip for another minute or two. You can tell the meringue is ready because it won't move at all when you turn the bowl upside down.
- The consistency of the final batter is very important, if you undermix it then you'll have little chunks of unincorporated almond flour, which can lead to cracks, if you over mix then you'll lose too much air and they won't have a nice fluffy texture. Getting it perfect is a bit of a dark art, some people have a fixed amount of folds (~50 I think is the number I read) while others say it needs to have "the consistency of lava" (make of that what you will)
- Use a silicon baking sheet if you can, since they'll stick to baking paper. If you do need to use baking paper, then wait for them to be fully cool before you take them off, and use a palette knife to gently pry them free. In my experience, you should be able to get 9 out of 10 free without breaking them.
- Once you've piped out the macaron, lightly bang the baking tray once or twice on a hard surface. This should dislodge any large air bubbles that would otherwise lead to cracking.
- Leave the piped macaron to sit at room temperature for 30m or so before baking them. This is supposed to make a skin form over the surface of the macaron, which helps them get their distintive smooth hemisphere top.

Good luck!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've got some pork short rib tips, should i use them for stock?

i was thinking of roasting them first and then add them with some onion/celery/carrot and a bay leaf to my pressure cooker for 45m

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

i've got some pork short rib tips, should i use them for stock?

i was thinking of roasting them first and then add them with some onion/celery/carrot and a bay leaf to my pressure cooker for 45m

I usually just use bones / carcass for stock leaving the meat for meals. I can't think of any non-seafood meat that wouldn't combo well with the classic onion/cel/carrot stock.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Late to the eggchat but...

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh god, don't bother. Those gadgets are so annoying.

Kenji has a stupid simple trick for poaching eggs: just strain them before dunking them in. It works wonders.

If you don't believe me...

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Jan posted:

Kenji has a stupid simple trick for poaching eggs: just strain them before dunking them in. It works wonders.

All hail Kenji

I recently learned he is a fraternity brother of mine yes I am a lady

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jan posted:

Late to the eggchat but...

If you don't believe me...

Huh, neat. I had no idea. I just hate delicately dropping them in one at a time, but this solves that problem.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jan posted:

Agreed, a terrible crutch that doesn't work nearly as well as it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What do work great are these little 3 egg poachers. Put a little butter in the bottom, 3 eggs in, and they're stackable so you can do tons. I'll do a dozen at a time or more if I'm doing a breakfast for many people.