Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

99% sure it's carbon steel.

Put it on a hot fire. If the black stuff disappears (doesn't melt off, doesn't peel off, doesn't fall off, just turns into smoke) and the wok turns gray, then turns rainbowish colors, then it's carbon steel.

If the black doesn't come off or if it peels off, then congratulations, you've ruined a $5 teflon wok.

Trip report:

I washed the wok with dish detergent and water, rinsed, scrubbed the insides with steel wool (the black stuff got scuffed in some spots but otherwise remained intact), then gave the wok a final rinse.

Opened my apartment's windows, turned up the vent hood, turned my electric burner to the max, put the wok on it and waited. After 30 seconds or so, thick white smoke started wafting off the inside and the OUTSIDE of the wok. I waited until the wok has stopped giving off huge amounts of white smoke before I added some cooking oil into it. It didn't take long for the oil to start smoking and set off the fire alarm, so I had to stop my wok seasoning there. The wok didn't turn rainbowish colors and the black didn't come off.

I did cook a stir fry on it after I dumped the oil and washed the wok. It turned out okay, although parts of the dish tasted bitter. I think it was from burnt food and hopefully not from toxic chemicals. Yes, I was dumb enough to eat food I cooked on cookware which I did not trust.

Edit: A couple of rust spots at the bottom of the wok. Yay, it's carbon steel.

huhwhat fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Turkeybone posted:

I've got some whole short ribs, like the cryovac pac I picked up at the local asian mart. What should I do with them? Have a big party is the right answer I know, but I'm looking mostly for meal prep ideas. My first thought would just be roast em whole, shred the meat and then use the bones to make some stock/sauce.

I would braise the short ribs and then make tacos, nachos, or chili from the meat.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I did buy a bunch of poblanos and scallions - somehow I knew deep in my heart that this was always the answer.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Anyone have a good recipe for making shredded beef or beef cubes from beef heart? I've been cooking up batches of chicken thighs and freezing the shredding meat for weekday sandwiches / curries / soups / stir fries / pastas. I'm looking to expand my quick frozen meat selection with other cheap and relatively lower calorie meats, and beef heart seems to fit the bill.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As a New Englander, to me lobster is: boiled whole served with butter, lobster roll, or lobster bisque.

I've never had Lobster Newburg/Thermidor... seems like a lot of unnecessary ingredients. Any one every have one of these dishes that they felt was worth making/ordering?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'm cooking jambalaya in my slow cooker. I made a double size because what the heck, it's a big crock pot. We're about 3 hours in now, and it's so full that some of the liquid is starting to spill over the side. I'm supposed to add rice in an hour, anyone have ideas how I can salvage this?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
put some in a saucepan on low on the stove

e: or an oven-safe pot/casserole will do too in the oven around 325*F

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

JawKnee posted:

put some in a saucepan on low on the stove

Cool TY this is what I wound up doing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

As a New Englander, to me lobster is: boiled whole served with butter, lobster roll, or lobster bisque.

I've never had Lobster Newburg/Thermidor... seems like a lot of unnecessary ingredients. Any one every have one of these dishes that they felt was worth making/ordering?

I am in agreement with you, lobster is at its best with a little butter and nothing else. Worth trying Newburg and Thermidor once, I suppose, but nothing to shout about.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
One of the best drat things I have ever eaten was called Expecting Lobster. I guess you could just call it Stuffed Lobster, but whatever. It's a whole Maine lobster with the back cracked open and cleaned, but they reserve the tomalley fat and roe and a crab/shrimp stuffing. Then they stuff the cavity and bake it. This place in Bethpage Long Island called Popeis does it and it's the best lobster EVER.

My dad was back on long island last week and went to Popei's and I was so jealous x.x But yeah, nothing wrong with the traditional boil to perfection, eat whole bastard with drawn butter.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Neighbors gave us a couple of pomegranates from their garden. What should we do with these?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What're some good autumn recipes that won't break my wallet, my stove, or my arms?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What're some good autumn recipes that won't break my wallet, my stove, or my arms?

Thai pumpkin curry.

e: I suppose I should probably be slightly more helpful than that. I haven't ever looked up a recipe, but basically buy some yellow curry paste (or red if you prefer) and make it with kabocha squash or other tasty pumpkins.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 24, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

couldcareless posted:

Neighbors gave us a couple of pomegranates from their garden. What should we do with these?

Crack them open and eat them! Nothing fancy, poms are impressive just on their own.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Stuffed squash. Spaghetti squash. All the squash. Find a farmer's market and squash out.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 24, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any ideas on how I can cook with red wine? I often like to finish off bottles of chianti that are starting to get old by dumping them in with pasta sauce or browning meat but it never really results in anything in the finished product.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Here's a moronic question, I imagine. If I dice up peppers and onions would they last very long in my freezer in a tupperware bowl?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

Here's a moronic question, I imagine. If I dice up peppers and onions would they last very long in my freezer in a tupperware bowl?

They'd last long enough. I'd freeze them in a single layer on a sheet pan and then transfer them to a bowl after they're frozen.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Liar posted:

I dice them up and saute them and then freeze them so I can dump them into soup and stuff later. It works with mirepoix, too. But I put them in a freezer bag and get as much air out as possible (you're not supposed to FoodSaver raw onions so I'm too scared to do cooked onions).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Any ideas on how I can cook with red wine? I often like to finish off bottles of chianti that are starting to get old by dumping them in with pasta sauce or browning meat but it never really results in anything in the finished product.

you can reduce it down and add a little sugar and have a red wine reduction to drizzle over salad, cheese, roasted beef/pork/duck/lamb/whatever

or cook down some onions and add it and cook down au sec, and puree to make an onion jam

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the cost of decent quality ingredients negate home made sushi rolling to 'just for the fun of it' if you already have a local place that does good quality stuff at a cheap price?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can be, depends on the prices in your area. If you have a good quality and reasonably priced sushi place you're probably not going to be able to do any better at home. Keep in mind all the practice too, it's harder than it looks to get good ratios of ingredients and form the rice correctly and whatnot.

For me sushi is in that just for fun category. I do make gimbap at home a lot but that's a whole other thing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

Can be, depends on the prices in your area. If you have a good quality and reasonably priced sushi place you're probably not going to be able to do any better at home. Keep in mind all the practice too, it's harder than it looks to get good ratios of ingredients and form the rice correctly and whatnot.

For me sushi is in that just for fun category. I do make gimbap at home a lot but that's a whole other thing.

Agreed. Sushi is fun to make and fun to eat. Also mess with onigiri, that's fun and relatively easy. Have a 'Cooking With Dog' episode on it! https://youtu.be/Hj8MFKdUH7I

But nothing wrong with enjoying decent sushi from your local sushi place.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ oops replied without seeing your reply. Will check that out, thanks!

The two places I frequent are more 'cute' than high grade (one doesn't serve sashimi at all), but the food tastes nice to my weak palate and it's reasonably priced, even compared to supermarket sushi. It's not west coast quality/prices I'm sure, but I can't complain.

I know next to nothing about Korean food, but it's something that interests me. I've had Kimchi from the grocers where I used to live, but that's about it. Definitely going to check out the Korean place around here, I always meant to check out the Korean BBQ place where I used to live but it was out of town and never got the chance.

E: ah looks like my local Korean is about as korean as my left ball. Next time I fly home I'll have to hit that place up, along with the other culinary things I miss from Britain.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 25, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I do make gimbap at home a lot but that's a whole other thing.

How is gimbap a whole other thing?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

spankmeister posted:

How is gimbap a whole other thing?

The rice isn't vinegared (though that's boring so I do it with sushi rice) and it never uses raw fish. The ingredients generally are quite different than what you'd use in a roll in Japan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does the cost of decent quality ingredients negate home made sushi rolling to 'just for the fun of it' if you already have a local place that does good quality stuff at a cheap price?

If nothing else, learning how to make good sushi rice is worth it.

It's nice to be able to whip up some whenever and then throw on some leftover meat slices (can be steak and chicken etc) along with a dash of soy and some sliced green onion and maybe some steamed snow peas or other quick vegetable and just toss in a bowl.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gimbap is a good place to start, the rolls are larger so it's a bit easier.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes.

This spring I planted a dozen cayenne, ghost pepper and Carolina reaper seeds. The germination rate was fairly bad, with between 6 and 8 plants of each type actually appearing. The cayennes and ghosties have been pretty productive - I have dozens of each in the freezer.

The reapers, however, have been different. Not only are they _very_ slow to mature, most of the fruits appear to be effected by some disease or fungus - purple-grey spots appear at the stem end of the fruit, and they turn into open "sores" in the fruit, where it looks like they have been eaten by an insect. Of the 10 fruits that have matured so far, only 4 have been usable, the rest are afflicted by whatever this is.

Any idea what this might be, or where I might go to find about what this is?

Because I think I prefer the reapers to the ghost peppers - I made some hot sauce this week with mangos and reapers, and it's freaking delicious even if it is nuclear hot.

TIA

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I've made lentil stew with red wine before, it definitely added something to it. It was pretty basic, just aromatics, lentils, water and 'enough' red wine to taste it. I can't describe the flavor that it gave, but it was a unique contribution.

And if you have 3/4 cup you can try a red wine chocolate cake: https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/09/red-wine-chocolate-cake/ It's not overly winey, but I think there's a hint of it in the finished cake.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LongSack posted:

The reapers, however, have been different. Not only are they _very_ slow to mature, most of the fruits appear to be effected by some disease or fungus - purple-grey spots appear at the stem end of the fruit, and they turn into open "sores" in the fruit, where it looks like they have been eaten by an insect. Of the 10 fruits that have matured so far, only 4 have been usable, the rest are afflicted by whatever this is.

Any idea what this might be, or where I might go to find about what this is?
From your description, maybe pepper weevils. They make little holes in the pepper that'll end up getting bigger and grosser as the pepper goes bad. Pretty much anything that'll damage the pepper and produce a break in the skin can have this effect---I've had a couple bell peppers get that way this season just from damage from sun scorch.

But peppers, and especially C. chinense peppers, tend to be prone to molding if left to ripen for too long. I usually have this problem more with the wetter/juicier/whatever habs than bhuts, scorps, and so on which all tend to be drier (at least in my experience). Most of the superhot non-hab C. chinense hybrids (like bhuts, scorps, and reapers) do mature a lot more slowly, so I suppose it's possible that variations in your local climate/watering/whatever could make mold more likely (just because they're spending longer on the plant and so there's more time for something to go wrong).

Have you cut open any peppers that look healthy on the outside and discovered the same `stuff' inside the peppers, specifically around the placental tissue?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Stuffed squash. Spaghetti squash. All the squash. Find a farmer's market and squash out.

This is definitely a good idea. I bought a giant kabocha squash for $2.50 from a market. It ended up being too much squash for a 6 qt pot full of squash soup! A $2.50 squash ended up making like 5 qts of squash & parsnip puree. They can also keep fairly long so don't be afraid to impulse purchase.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm gonna try making apple cider soon. Anybody here make it before? Got any advice? Only advice I've gotten so far is to use bigger than average apples.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

MrSlam posted:

I'm gonna try making apple cider soon. Anybody here make it before? Got any advice? Only advice I've gotten so far is to use bigger than average apples.

Lots of us make cider. Go to the home-brew thread and we'll give you all the info you need.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I need to step up my soup game and I'm looking for a cookbook to help. Preferably one that focuses more on technique/tips rather than just a collection of recipes. Anybody have some suggestions?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

lifts cats over head posted:

I need to step up my soup game and I'm looking for a cookbook to help. Preferably one that focuses more on technique/tips rather than just a collection of recipes. Anybody have some suggestions?
Peterson's Splendid Soups is okay, although it's not the sort of magisterial reference that his Sauces is. I picked it up a few years ago when my girlfriend was recovering from jaw surgery and couldn't eat anything solid for a couple months. I wouldn't say it's indispensable or anything, but it's pretty good.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

The chapter on stocks and soup in The Food Lab is really good and helped me get a lot better at making soups. There's a great table for how long to cook different add ins.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

SubG posted:

From your description, maybe pepper weevils. They make little holes in the pepper that'll end up getting bigger and grosser as the pepper goes bad. Pretty much anything that'll damage the pepper and produce a break in the skin can have this effect---I've had a couple bell peppers get that way this season just from damage from sun scorch.

But peppers, and especially C. chinense peppers, tend to be prone to molding if left to ripen for too long. I usually have this problem more with the wetter/juicier/whatever habs than bhuts, scorps, and so on which all tend to be drier (at least in my experience). Most of the superhot non-hab C. chinense hybrids (like bhuts, scorps, and reapers) do mature a lot more slowly, so I suppose it's possible that variations in your local climate/watering/whatever could make mold more likely (just because they're spending longer on the plant and so there's more time for something to go wrong).

Good info, thanks.

quote:

Have you cut open any peppers that look healthy on the outside and discovered the same `stuff' inside the peppers, specifically around the placental tissue?

No, the few healthy ones are ok. In fact I turned 2 of them into a very tasty (and nuclear hot) mango hot sauce this weekend.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Does anyone have a good recipe for a cucumber yogurt salad? I made one last night for lunch today and either the cucumber had way more water than I thought or some ingredient 'broke' the greek yogurt; it tasted fine but it was a runny puddle of yogurt water with no body to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There are a few ways to handle the extra cucumber moisture, but I'm gonna recommend dehydrating then with salt. Slice them, put them in a colander (or other container with drainage), salt them fairly heavily, and let them sit for an hour or so. Rinse the extra salt off, and you are done.