Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am looking for an awesome recipe to use italian sausages with, I have both sweet and spicy and would like to showcase both. The trick is, I'm feeding this to someone who doesn't normally like this kind of sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How do you sweat an apple?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

Make it run laps in the sun :v:

Seriously though: I would treat it like an onion. Since the point is to draw out the liquid, concentrate the flavor, and turn starches into delicious sugars, just chop it small, heat some oil in a pan, and cook on medium-low until tender. What recipe is this for?

That sounds correct because it also says to sweat an onion:

quote:

Pistachio Soup
Ingredients

2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and rough diced
1 small white onion, rough diced
1 cup toasted, shelled, unsalted pistachios
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
Salt
Black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Lemon juice

Preparation

Sweat apples and onions down in the butter (do not allow to brown). Then add pistachios and cream and bring to a simmer, and cover with saran wrap and let steep for about 30 minutes off the heat. After steeping, puree the mixture in a blender on the highest setting and run the mixture through fine cheesecloth or preferably a chinois (a fine metal mesh sieve we use in the kitchen). Then adjust the thickness by adding the milk if needed and seasoning to taste with the salt and pepper and lemon juice to brighten. I like to serve this with a little chèvre goat cheese and a splash of olive oil.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Software for keeping recipes/creating shopping lists? Preferably something PC/IOS that I can sync?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Recipes that add bread into meatballs do that mainly for moisture retention and added structure for the meat, right? What do I substitute if I can't add bread anymore for 'carb' reasons or whatever? Minced onion or bell pepper work really well for the moisture/flavor stuff, but what would then be good for (I guess) the structure stuff? Julienned cabbage, carrots? Nothing?

What about some kind of oat or something? I think I've seen some recipes replace breadcrumbs with like steel cut oats.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you both!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not at all. A burger is what you make it, so long as it a lump of 4-legged animal in patty shape. Congratulations, here is your honorary US Food Passport.

Turkey makes good burgers also.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got anything thats really great for a person who is on a 25 carbs or less kind of diet? I'm having a lot of trouble cooking dinners for my wife. I'm mainly a pasta kind of person and so pretty much what I've been doing is making pasta, making pasta sauce and also making zoodles(I'm sorry if you also know what a zoodle is). Anything else that can be easily separated like the pasta or if anyone has any experience cooking for this kind of diet and has some recipes handy I would be really happy, thanks!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Turkeybone posted:

Mexican food without rice, beans, or tortillas.

Yea the other thing I've been doing is quesadillas and just putting hers in a no carb wrap thing that tastes like sand. I'm just out of ideas!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend some decent food blogs? I've got 5 or 6 saved, but they don't update often enough to keep me entertained cooking every night.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chemmy posted:

Can you share your six?

Here are the ones where I get the majority of the stuff I cook. I'm a stay at home dad so I cook pretty much every night and I need variety to keep things interesting. I'd be particularly interested in blogs that focus on food outside of the US.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a vegan thread somewhere around here?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
god this is a really dumb question, but when I'm putting honey into greek yogurt it always ends up in clumps and doesn't really end up very good. Is a blender/food processor the best way to sort that out?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Just add like a tablespoon of warm water to the honey.

Thanks for everyone's advice this ended up doing the trick. I buy local honey and its pretty thick.

Roxy Rouge posted:

Buy the blended honey yogurt?? Alternately, use your spoon to mix it more??

I don't do this just because its easier to buy the plain and then you can do whatever with it. Sometimes I like to put stuff other than honey, fruits and also some recipes have the plain stuff in them.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 7, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone know if you can find paneer at a safeway or fred meyer? and if so where do they usually stock it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of sauce to put on goat cheese and sun dried tomato tortellini?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone recommend a vegetarian food blog that is still updated that isn't 'healthy'. I don't eat meat, but I also don't eat healthy and a lot of vegetarian blogs are like, 'and put a squash in it' and I'd rather just eat creamy decadent noodles and soups and poo poo.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what to serve with eggs in purgatory

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone make their own root beer? Is there a thread around here somewhere for it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats up with poblano peppers? They are delicious and I love them, but their spiciness is loving schizophrenic as hell and it makes it hard to use them reliably. I read somewhere that the darker the poblano the spicier it is, but I'm pretty sure that is bullshit. Anyone have a reliable way besides taking a big bite out of them in the store to be able to tell if you're getting a spicy poblano or a mild poblano?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone got ideas for things to make in my waffle iron that aren't just waffles?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My restaurant did a neat take on chicken and waffles for brunch one week: we put seasoned ground chicken in one of the waffle makers until it was just almost cooked thru.Then we cut the chaffle into quarters, breaded and fried them briefly to get a nice crisp on them. Put one piece of chaffle between two quarters of regular waffles, and viola, chicken and waffle sliders. We dressed them with an apple bacon chutney and bourbon maple syrup. Those things were slutty as hell.

drat i just got a boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats good side dish to make for christmas that can sit in the fridge for 24 hours because i have to make it the day before

i was thinking like a soup or chili or something, usually poo poo like that gets better when it sits for a bit