Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CzarChasm posted:

So I'm getting into the habit of cooking up some couscous and taking it in to work for lunch, but I'm growing tired of simple garlic, butter/olive oil, salt & pepper seasonings I've been doing.

What are some more traditional middle eastern spices I can use to bolster this? What about if I want to throw in some chicken or beef? I know it's a little vague, but I'm slowly learning to try new flavors.

If you put salt and pepper on your (not to large) pieces of meat, and cook them and set them aside for a little.
You could add a little extra olive oil to the pan, heat it up again, and sweat your onions or shallots, add some garlic, whatever you want to add to your couscous (BIG HIT: orange zest!!!! yum).
Then dump in the meat, add the couscous and liquid, prepare as usual...

(I seriously love orange zest in my couscous, it's such a nice surprise :-) )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Splizwarf posted:

It's always possible the produce guy at my local grocery is an idiot poorly-informed. :v:

Yes, your produce guy is definitely challenged :~)

I did see hot peppers in the fridge of my supermarket as well, and thatīs not necessary either, but at least thatīs not a harmful thing to do.

The most important thing to keep in your fridge though, is beer

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Per posted:

(I'm not American.)

What exactly is meant by "sodium" when it comes to nutritional info? I know it's what we call natrium, but we never talk about stuff containing natrium. Is it just regular salt (NaCl)?

Yes, it's about "regular salt", and if you eat too many things that have nutritional information on them in the first place, you're bound to ingest too much salt on a daily basis, and develop a high blood pressure, kidney issues, and it'll kill you dead.

edit to add some figures:

-A person needs about 2 grams of salt (NaCl) per day.

-It is adviced to not eat more than 6 grams of salt (NaCl) a day....this is comparable to 2.4 grams of sodium/natrium (Na) per day

-Most people eat a lot more salt than this on a daily basis.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 28, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Splizwarf posted:

:raise: Is this a joke, or a goony "Do your body good, eat unpackaged foods!" pitch?

No offense intended but your information about the wicked dangers of salt is pretty outdated. It's been de-demonized in the last couple years, along with eggs and a lot of dietary fats.

No, no, I wasn't making a joke.
I'm Dutch, and it's a fact that the average Dutch person consumes 10 to 12 grams of salt a day, even though consuming more than 6 grams a day is adviced against, and that is mainly because of the intake of bread and ready made products (jars, packages, pizza's, whatever)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

fuckpot posted:

I have these spices in the cupboard after making a (quite excellent) chicken tikka - here is the recipe http://www.indianfoodforever.com/non-veg/chicken/chicken-tikka-masala.html

Anyway, the spices I have leftover are cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, fennel, garam masala, ground cardamom and some garlic salt. I also obviously have pepper. Can anyone suggest a good idea for a steak spice rub that can be made with these ingredients? I just had a crack at it myself with a random bit of everything and tastes like bitter hell. Cheers.

edit: I am only making enough for two medium size steaks and there is also other random assorted household poo poo laying around like flour.

because garam masala should not be used for a steak rub, use it to make roti (or at least a dish to dip your roti in):

chop up 500 grams of chicken filet, marinate it in 2 tablespoons of ggaram masala, two teaspoons of cumin, and cayenne pepper and/or a red pepper (to taste).

After about 15 to 30 minutes, bake it all in olive oil on high heat, until the chicken is cooked.

Bake onion, red pepper and a chopped up tomato.
Then add 250 mL of chickenbouillon, the chicken and two cubed potatoes,
let it simmer untill the potatoes are done.

Eat with roti (flatbread)

I love it, and it's pretty much the only thing for which i use garam masala...but I guess there are loads more recipes.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Boeuf Bourguinion

last night I tried to make it, and after 4+ hours I had to admit I failed miserably.
The stuff burned (not bad, but a lot of the beef got stuck to the bottom while simmering, giving it a hard texture, and that cannot be undone)

Not completely sure why this happened, as I make these type of dishes a lot (on the same little burner), although not boeuf bourguinion specifically...

My guess is that it has to do with:
1. the cubing of the meat (I normally simmer larger pieces of meat)
2. the relatively new pan that might be failing on me.

Anyway, I will be trying again tonight, as it's for a guest, and I do not want to stand in the kitchen when she's here.
Now, my questions are these:

a. do you have an alternative recipe (cause I just cannot think of anything else right now, but I'm not particularly looking forward to another round of boeuf bourguinion making).

b. any hints, pointers or tips for Boeuf Bourguinion in general?
(so far I learned that I did not like the addition of a little tomato puree, and I did like the addition of some of those little pickled onions (after rinsing them with water) as that looks and tastes very nice)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tarepanda posted:

I screwed up and bought a bunch of chicken breast instead of thigh meat for my tandoori chicken. I tried it and it's okay, but a bit dry and chewy.

What else can I do with all this chicken breast cheaply? I don't really have a lot of money or any staples.

Chicken pot pie!! :3:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

weinus posted:

Wasn't there a thread on sharpening knives? I just got my first actual good knife and wanted to read up on sharpening techniques for when the time comes.

I dunno, but sliding both sides of my best knife twice along one of these before use, makes sure i can still easily lose a couple of fingers if I'm not carefull
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honing_steel

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Over here (Holland) you have Calf Sausages, and they're so low fat that it is often used for diet food. It tastes good, but dry. Any drier than that, and I'd say: inedible.

that's all...

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Chard posted:

We're having an office potluck tomorrow and everyone has already snagged up the easy salad and desert options. In addition to which, gently caress that, I'm cooking something.

However, I don't know what to make. I'm looking to feed about 12 people tops, no pork, main-dish-esque in the savory side of things. I also don't want to drop a ton of money on this if I can avoid it. I have access to an oven with a range, lots of spices, and big ol' microwaves at work for heating things up.

Right now I'm leaning towards something like a chicken'n'veggies kebab, maybe one and a half for each person? I can't grill these which is making me hesitate. Leftovers will just become dinner. Any ideas?

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2008/11/mini-caramelised-onion-and-tomato.html
I've made these many times, and they're great warm, lukewarm and cold. Also, if you have a cupcake tray big enough, it'll serve 12.

Oh, I made an easier version (my onions were done a lot sooner than what is described in this blog, because ... I have other things to do).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I read a recipe that I'd like to try, and it's simple, but I guess it's a bit too simple to actually be good.

It's salmon, and the recipe is simple: carve it a couple of times, and stick in some anchovy and garlic. Then bake it in butter until it's done.

Okay, fine, I want to try that, but....

the recipe suggests serving it with either rice or potatoes and broccoli.
And I'm thinking: wouldn't my rice or potatoes be awfully dry?

Any suggestions to pimp this thing up?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

GrAviTy84 posted:

more butter or make a beurre blanc to smother over everything.

Thank you!...I guess I'll try the more butter thing then, as I'm not looking for smothering everything, and I guess the garlic and especially the anchovies will take care of the taste of the butter. :-)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I make a big batch of rice, use the portions I need, and stick the rest of the portions in the freezer.
Whenever I need rice and want a fast dinner, I transfer the necessary portions from freezer to fridge the night before, and reheat them in the microwave the next day.

(almost) all food is better when made on the spot, but rice does freeze well, and can be reheated in the microwave (or otherwise) perfectly when you have a little less time.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

BigLeafyTree posted:

Cooking food unavoidably involves losing some (small?) nutrition loss right?
Is it at a level that I should worry about it, or is it something you just have to accept?
Googling has been a mix of hype for raw food diets and a lot of tables of what breaks down under what conditions, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

You might want to google about the food groups and amounts you are supposed to eat of them on a daily basis, as those tables generally do not mean raw food. And then there's no reason to worry.

Also, if you make your food yourself often, and don't open packages and use your microwave to heat those packages every day (read: if you know what you eat), I wouldn't worry too much.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 10, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

HClChicken posted:

I've had my spyderco sharpmaker for over a year now and it's starting to work less and less. Does this mean I need to replace my plates (I clean it regularly). What are other options I can use that don't require buying more poo poo every year that are reliable (wetstone?)?

What's the advantage of this spyderco sharpmaker to an ordinary honing steel?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cyril Sneer posted:

So I picked up this half chicken because it looked tasty as hell and was on special:

http://i.imgur.com/LHr1Z.jpg

However I don't know how to cook it (there were no cooking instructions on it). How would I go about baking it in the oven?

That does look good!
Just to be sure: it's raw meat still, right?
If so, and as its already seasoned: stick it in a preheated oven at 360-380 F for 30(-40) minutes

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yeah, its seasoned and uncooked. That sounds easy - what about covered vs uncovered?

uncovered, so the skin has the chance to get crispy....just make sure the outside doesn't turn too dark/black, and the inside is done (no pink chicken shall be eaten),
and it'll be great!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
edit: wait, new idea, and it's in season: Asparagus Wrapped in Crisp Prosciutto
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asparagus-wrapped-in-crisp-prosciutto/

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 23, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scott Bakula posted:

gravity I think linked a guide to the taste/shapes of chilli peppers. Does anyone know which it was?

yeah, he posted it in the chili thread
http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Charleston Jew posted:

If I threw a whole, unpeeled mango in the freezer, could I have a yummy frozen snack later on? I'm not trying to stock up/preserve mangoes, just curious if this would work. Frozen grapes are awesome, does anyone else know of other fruits that are good frozen (not prepackaged, just something you stick in the freezer yourself)?

kiwi

in fact, you reminded me that I still need to try this:
http://www.ohdesserts.net/recipes-chocolate-kiwi-popsicles.php

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Turkeybone posted:

...unless you really would like to suck on a giant frozen boob.

Excellent metaphor,
not sure if that would dis- or encourage a goon

:allears:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Captain Novolin posted:

I've been cooking a lot of potatoes recently, and I notice that there's dark spots in them, usually just a couple, and they're always near the skin, or just a little below. I've been cutting them out, but what are they? Is it safe to just go gently caress it and leave the smaller ones in?

Dark spots in potatoes are like bruising in apples...mushy, but not harmfull.

In potatoes, you should watch out (and cut away) green spots and green skin...really green skinny potatoes should be tossed. Also, potato shoots....all of those should not be eaten, as they're toxic.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Phummus posted:

This goes back a few posts, but it is worth mentioning that before WW II, American beer was the best you could get. Even after prohibition, the beers made in the states were very sought after and won tons of awards. During WW II however, grain rations started, and all the best grains went to the troops. We went from over 1000 individual breweries in the us before prohibition to around 500 after prohibition and by 1980 we only had 80 or so breweries in the US.

That number has shot up over the past decade and a half and we have over 1500 breweries in the US now, some of which are really stellar.

Seriously? My favorite beer is Dutch (Grolsch) and they started brewing it in 1615. It's not the oldest brewery by far, and when regarding the entire European Union, it's probably not the best either, but it's tastier than any "simple" beer I can get my hands on.
Name a few (or one) of your favorite American beers, so I can start searching for it and give it a try! :-) (seriously, I know there's a beer-shoppe not too far from here that carries as many brands as he can, so I just might be able to find ..well, anything! (and I love me some new beers!))

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Phummus and GrAviTy84, thanks for your replies, I will most definitely take a list of unknown beers to the next visit I can make to the beer shoppe in my town! :-)

Oh, and GrAviTy84, by "simple beer" I meant lager (I couldn't think of the word), it's what I drink on weekdays if I want a beer...not the best type of beer, but an easy one (Heineken, that is from my country as well, is of the same type, but I dislike it more than I can tell you ;-) )

I will be trying all the unfamiliar beers you guys mentioned eventually (as far as I can find them). German and Belgian beers are among the best, but definitely not among the unfamiliar ones (geography lesson: Grolsch country is next to the big beer countries ;-) ) But I will also provide you with the name of the best beer I know of thus far...a Belgian Beer, Westmalle Dubbel (or Double, or whatever the heck they translate it to in your neck of the woods)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 6, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

pork never goes bad posted:

cut em in half then oil em and whack em in the oven

also, nuts!!

Brussel sprouts need/want/love nuts,

for example: chestnuts, or hazelnuts

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yes, that would be fine as well...and a bit of fresh ground black pepper

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there some kind of secret to making mayonnaise in a blender? I can make it by hand with ease, but whenever I use the blender it seems to turn in to oil with egg foam chunks.

Place the blender on the bottom, turn it on, and slooooowly pull upwards...that's it

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CzarChasm posted:

If your blender is getting so hot that it is cooking your eggs in the time between turning it on, pouring in the oil, blending, and turning it off (shouldn't be a very long time at all), then your blender is running way too hot.

On a related note, how long will homemade mayo keep? I tried making a small batch myself not too long ago, was not impressed with the results, but because I was trying to make a half batch I think the ratios didn't work out. I also don't go through mayo very quickly as it is.

And unrelated, I made ravioli for the first time last night. They turned out pretty good, but I may have rolled the pasta out too thin. I could clearly read a newspaper through the sheets of dough. They held together fine through the cooking process, but when I went to strain them out they broke apart from hitting the colander. Should I just fish them out of the pot next time? (I have about 1 pound frozen and ready to cook left over)

Oh, this reminds me....whatever method you use (and yes, I was referring to a stick blender before), take your egg(s) out of the fridge beforehand if you keep them there, as it/they need(s) to be at room temperature.

and CzarChasm, homemade mayo keeps for about a week.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

baquerd posted:

I recently got some homemade ice cream from a market, but it had ice crystals in it and it was almost as if the fat had separated out. Any ideas what happened?

Sounds like the icecream defrosted/melted (partially) and was refrozen.
Growing up, I always learned that eating icecream like that is a perfect way to get killed dead. But I guess you'll survive.

Oh, another idea is that the market people do not have perfect ice-making skills, and the machine wasn't cold enough while they were making it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Asstro Van posted:

My bread machine had sat in storage for a long as time and when I went to move it today, I found that a bunch of weird poo poo had leaked out of it. It had a yellow greasy gel-like goo underneath it, seeping everywhere. I can't tell exactly where it leaked out of and I have no idea what it is. The scary thing is that this crap ate completely through the clear plastic sleeve thing that the machine was in. There were a few things next to it with plastic peeling and sloughing all strangely too. Any idea what the hell happened?

e- I tried googling and all I got was 'oh no my lemon pies oozed!' and anal leakage

Other than anal leakage, my guess would be oil....?
...not completely sure how and why there's oil in icemachines, but it definitely eats through plastic

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I don't have any houseplants, which is what's puzzling. Initially I suspected the sink garbage disposal so I started cleaning it more often and that didn't make a difference. I've also never seen them around the disposal, so...

I tried one of those sticky trap things you hang up and it did gently caress all, and smelled like poo poo. I also tried the dish of apple cider vinegar with a bit of sugar in it and they ignored it. I have radioactive super-gnats or something.

If you have absolutely no idea, then you should stop buying ANY groceries that cannot handle being stored in the fridge... then store all groceries in the fridge until a couple of weeks after you've seen the last creature.
After dinner, wash your dishes instantly.
Keep cleaning your disposal areas (make sure there's nothing like that inside your house more than a couple of days...if so: set up an area outside of your house to throw stuff in)
You will get rid of this, I'm sure, but you might want to wear a Rambo outfit while doing this (perfect reason to pull that off, and how many chances does a person get for that, huh?!)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

noblesse posted:

...However, this morning, I opened to fridge to see that there were small holes actually eaten into the foil. :stare: I, um...have never heard of foil being corroded/eaten by anything before, so could someone maybe tell me what the heck is going on?

Included in my rub: ...chile powder... cayenne.

Probably completely unrelated, but this story reminded me about a call I once got about a guy who got something in his eye, and his doc kept pushing me to find out if it was an acid or a base (which was completely irrelevant at that point)
As his information about the substance was lacking, I finally told him to use a litmus paper if he really wanted to know.
He called back half an hour later, very angry, to tell me the litmus paper dissolved, so I replied that that must mean the stuff wasn't intended to be stuck in an eye.
Later it turned out to be some sort of industrial product containing capsicum.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I accidently left my carton of eggs out overnight. Maybe from 11 or so until about 1130ish this afternoon. Am I going to die if I eat one??

No.... when you buy eggs from the shop, do they keep them in the fridge? (in my world, they do not)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CzarChasm posted:

What is the best way to store baked goods? I make biscuits and scones and muffins and the like, but every time I try to store them the get a gummy texture to them and lose some of their appeal.

I have tried plastic wrap, tupperware, foil and ziploc bags, all have this same issue? How can I store these items to keep them at their best?

tupperware or any other airtight storage is perfect, but you got to be sure they're completely cooled down after baking (and that takes way longer than you'd think...)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Or, you can make some batter and just fry up the little rings.

So cooking last Sunday fell through. Gonna try to do it this Sunday and the challenge grew.

So, if thread wouldn't mind, here's what I got:

No shellfish, no pork. Both Jewish and Muslim guests. Probably a total of ten people. One of them is fairly picky eater so I'm gonna keep that in mind and try to please everyone. The previous recommendation of aglio e olio was pretty awesome but I think that might be a turn off for a few of the folks coming. I don't consider that even remotely a "weird" dish but you know some people.

Maybe a pasta with choice of sauce? One meat/red sauce and one white sauce? Pasta with green peas, some sweet peppers, mushrooms, etc? I can make a killer mushroom ragu. Should that be considered a white sauce or a third sauce?

TIA

Why not make two (or more) lasagnas? You could make One with
Traditional ingredients and sauce, and improvise on the other(s)
It can all be made ahead of time

Also, serve with bread and ā nice caprese for example.
Simple, but delicious

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Two Headed Calf posted:

I didn't see a cookbook thread (I thought that we had one of these?) But could anyone recomend a good vegetarian cookbook? I'm trying to replace one normal meal a week with a vegetarian one and am now realising how few straight up vegetarian dishes I know.

I dunno any vegetarian cookbooks, sorry.

but there's the vegetarian category in the wiki
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Category:Vegetarian

I also recommend checking out the vegan thread, great stuff in there!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016

paraquat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 19, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any special techniques to making meatballs? I made some Pork/Leek meatballs the other night, and I found them delicious despite under spicing them. Though they were a little bit hard to make them meatballs instead of little patties in the pan. I know they won't be perfectly round unless I get a special pan, but just 'roundish' is good enough for me.

Are breadcrumbs necessary? I eat bread maybe once every 3 weeks or so and I never have crumbs handy.

Besides kneading it for an extended period like Mach420 said (knead until you feel the texture changing/ the meat "coming together"),
it also helps to stick the balls back into the fridge for a while (that will help with keeping them perfectly round if that's something you want...also, give them sufficient space in the pan, maybe even bake them in batches if you have a lot of smaller meatballs to prepare)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CloseFriend posted:

What's a good spice for peanut satay? I thought about sriracha, but I try not to be one of those solve-everything-with-sriracha kind of cooks. The one thing I could find from The Flavor Bible that sounded like a good idea was cayenne. Any other thoughts?

I use sambal, or more specifically: a baked sambal, like brandal or badjak

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Hutzpah posted:

I bought some fresh made merguez sausage on a whim and want to make a meal out of it. Trouble is, I have no ideas and am unfamiliar with Moroccan food. Any advice would be appreciated.

eat it with couscous
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503126
(leave out the chicken, make the couscous separately and bake the sausages separately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NboSIlg5w6w