Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have been tasked with supplying 7-10 pounds of roast beef to be used for sandwiches a couple of days after cooking or otherwise acquiring it. If I wanted to cook it myself instead of getting deli meat what should I do to prevent it drying out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jenkin posted:

My girlfriend has tasked me with dessert for NYE. Any suggestions for something simple but impressive? There will be three of us total.

Coconut truffles. Here's an easy recipe:

6 oz 72% dark chocolate (the better it tastes plain the better you will be off)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (avoid ultra-pasturized)
1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon european salted butter
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon salt (experiment with fun varieties)

In a double boiler, melt chocolate. Remove from heat.

Microwave cream at 50% for 1 minute. Add vanilla, corn syrup, and salt. Add mixture to chocolate and blend with a spoon. Add butter slowly until very well blended. Wait 30 minutes and mix butter again, repeat 2 times or until butter stops separating. Use a non-stick pan or a pan lined with wax paper after first butter mixing.

Cover and let sit for 2 hours and then refrigerate for 2 hours. Toast coconut in a saucepan or oven until golden brown and dry. Coating hands with cocoa powder to prevent sticking, roll chocolate into balls and then roll in toasted coconut, transferring to an airtight container. Truffles will last up to a week after preparation.

It's a little time intensive, but overall it's dead easy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Affi posted:

How can I make the pomegrate-passion mix sweeter? Should I just mix it with sugar and call it a day? Or is there a better way?

For texture, I'd head towards a sugar syrup rather than just adding the sugar into it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Morpheus posted:

So I'm trying to make a recipe, and I want the final product (chocolate balls) to be coated in a hardened shell of eggnog. Nothing crunchy or anything like that, but I'd like the shell to be fairly firm so that it won't drip off. Is this possible to do, and is it possible with store-bought eggnog? If so, how?

Not unless you like rotten eggnog. You're going to probably want to flavor white chocolate like eggnog, temper it, and then coat it. This is not the easiest task for someone who's never tempered before. If you'd be happy with a glaze that you could then roll in powdered sugar and nutmeg perhaps that would be a way to go.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 4, 2012

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knockknees posted:

Smelly house-guests left container of almond milk on the counter for 10 hours. Fiance says its fine because it doesn't spoil like milk does. I say its still probably a petri-dish full of terrible things. How stupid is this disagreement?

It's basically almonds and water. I wouldn't think that (re?) pasteurizing it would change the taste much and might be the safest way to go.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yes posted:

why would you ever want a dish to be bland

Religious reasons.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Benjamin Black posted:

I ordered 2 pounds of the Double Rich Chocolate just as you recommended. Greek yogurt might be difficult to find since our Crest Foods doesn't carry it, any particular reason you recommended it over regular yogurt?

It has roughly half the sugar and twice the protein. It's also thick and creamy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Can you just leave the yogurt mix sitting around and have it develop properly? I have my first batch in the rice cooker on warm as was recommended, but I think it might be too hot, it's not thickening at all. I don't have any other way to keep it warm though, no oven with a pilot light or anything. Assuming my starter yogurt even had active cultures, my Korean's not up to the task of figuring that out. Ugh. I just want a bigass tub of yogurt instead of these little two spoonful things.

What temperature is it and what did you use as a culture?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

I've been reading up a bit about sous-vide cooking, but one thing I can't understand is why it is necessary to buy a 300$ regulator to essentially heat water.

Would a pot of water with an adequate thermometer suffice? What are the benefits of these expensive machines?

Precision of temperature control is the basic reason why they are expensive, and immersion circulators (the professional choice) are basically chemistry lab equipment. Just 3 degrees C can make a big difference when cooking eggs or fish. That said, you can roll your own sous vide with a ziplock, stovetop, and thermometer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

I only really wanted to try it with steak. I have a home vac sealer, so I think I might give it a try.

On another note, do you think it would really be possible for someone who is not a "super-taster" to tell the difference between the home pot/thermometer method and the real sous-vide machines(with steak, I mean)?

If you regulate the temperature with a couple of degrees the whole time and your thermometer is accurate, there's not really going to be any difference. It's a little tricky to do and very time consuming compared to the "fire and forget" action you'd get with a machine.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

I've never seared a scallop. I wish to do so tonight.

Please correct my intended method here:

Sear on side 1 until deep golden.

If you don't get a golden sear after 2-3 minutes, flip them anyway. Far better to have no sear than to have overcooked scallops. Then next time make the pan hotter. On the other extreme, if the scallops are seared after less than a minute, that's no good either because it's either going to be burned or undercooked. Remove scallops and set aside, reduce temperature and wait a few minutes, then cook the other side.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brennanite posted:

I have half-a-pound of anise. What on earth can I do with it? I've never used it before.

Absinthe would work out, but you'll need some other herbs and spices.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

midnightclimax posted:

How long does it take for a can of opened coconut milk to go bad?

I don't find much use for it, and basically sprinkle it on everything. But there's so much left, ugh. I think I opened it 5 days ago.

Make coconut curry chicken, quick!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Splizwarf posted:

I have a gallon of unpasteurized milk that was farm fresh a week and a half ago, and consensus is that it's probably no longer safe to consume straight. However, I assume cooking it can safen it up still. I can't think of anything offhand that uses a lot of milk, though; ice cream's out and I don't know how to make cheese (willing to learn).

What can I do with it?

Pasteurize it and drink it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any pointers for making bread (or bread-like food) with a predominant taste and smell of yeast? I want to bring it out as a flavor, and just adding more yeast seems to have negative side effects.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nwin posted:

Stupid question time.

My wife bought a spiral sliced ham that says it's already cooked for dinner tomorrow. I've cooked tons of stuff, but never a spiral ham. Do I just reheat this in the oven for 30 minutes or something? Is there anything I should do to improve the taste?

It should have reheating instructions. Watch the salt content of side dishes, those hams can get really salty.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yes, that's accurate. I was given thin, crunchy brownies once and they were presented as "brownie brittle", so I must have gotten my misconception from that. Just making thin, crunchy cookies sounds simple enough, so I'll give that a shot this week. I'd like to give the brownies a go as well, but I'm worried about them being too chewey. Would using the regular reciple and giving them the same baking treatment as the cookies be enough, or is there something else I could do to make sure they're nice and crunchy?

I wouldn't try a brownie recipe to make a crunchy one, that's basically a chocolate cookie and I'd try that recipe route.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

The process was:
Pour the right amount of sugar in a large, nonstick pan
Add the right amount of peanut butter
Heat, stirring at the appropriate times to soft-ball stage
Pour into an old aluminum cake pan and allow to cool.

Every time she made it, it was completely creamy...no grain or grit. It was very sweet, and not dry like some of the store bought poo poo you find.

I've attempted several times. I end up with a lumpy slurry or burned peanutbutter/sugar on the bottom of the pan.

Are you just putting sugar and peanut butter in a pan and letting that go? That's not good. I don't even want to think about cleaning that pan.

Try this recipe and adjust depending on your tastes:

quote:

2 cups sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 cup whole milk
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter

Boil sugar, milk, corn syrup, and salt for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butter. Continue boiling until temperature reaches 238F. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and peanut butter. Beat until mixture starts to set. Pour quickly into 8" buttered pan. Once it starts to set, it hardens quickly.

Things to remember are that fudge dries out when you leave it exposed to air (fresh fudge, particularly peanut butter fudge, will not be dry) and fudge gets gritty when you don't heat the sugar high enough or rapidly cool it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

That's what I've been doing, Baquerd. I watched her make it a few times when I was little, but never participated and she never wrote it down. She never measured anything either. Just dumped sugar out of a bag, scooped peanutbutter out of the jar, etc.

Could you be misremembering? If you are going to add peanut butter directly into sugar without anything to help the sugar dissolve in, you need to heat the sugar to full temp first or it seems to me you're going to have trouble mixing and you're on the road to burning the peanut butter because there's no liquid buffer. Heat your peanut butter up separately or it will lower the temperature of your sugar rapidly and you're basically on the road to making fudge the most difficult way possible. It's going to be a touch dry with no added liquid too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use AB's lazy recipe. It's just peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar cooked in a microwave. It's embarrassingly good.

You can make some really tasty fudge in a microwave, with chips and condensed milk and crap, but nothing tastes quite like real traditional fudge because there's only one way to get that texture and it is heating sugar to the soft ball stage.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

Im 100% positive that the process involved a mound of sugar in a dry, nonstick pan and the glob of PB on top of it. Way more than 3/4 cup of PB too. She used to use almost a full jar.

The ratio is really important there. At any rate though, you're going to have to stir that often to get the sugar melted properly. Are you using a candy thermometer? Get one if not.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I recently got some homemade ice cream from a market, but it had ice crystals in it and it was almost as if the fat had separated out. Any ideas what happened?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sterster posted:

Beer Cheese Request
I'm looking for something as similar as possible to Hall's

Well now I'm going to make some beer cheese soup. I'm intrigued if anyone has tried making this with an good stout, or (I don't think this will work) a IPA or 2XIPA?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

letgomyAgo posted:

I'm trying to grill a steak, and I am bad at grilling things. It seems like I always end up with really rare steak when I'm shooting for med.

My issue I think, is my grill doesn't get hot enough, and if I turn the flame up a bit it always ends up in a raging hellish inferno of flame. Any advice for getting the temp up without lighting everything on fire?

Really hot grill is for thin steaks. If you want a good medium/medium rare with thicker steaks, you need to turn the heat down and cook for longer. Remember to keep the lid on and don't poke at them, you need to make it like an oven.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cooked beef heart today for the first time. 1" thick strips, 2 minutes on a side. Came out medium well to well done. Guess more heat and less cook time is needed. Such a lean piece of meat!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tendales posted:

loving whiners. There's always people that look at your perfectly cooked, succulent, tender, expensive prime rib, and say 'Could you please loving ruin that for me? I only eat leather. No thanks I won't actually try it the right way first.'

Buy a half pound of cheap roast beef lunchmeat and put it in the microwave for them. Then, eat their prime rib serving.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Can someone recommend a a simple and cheap vacuum sealing system for trying out sous vide? I'm interested in trying this out but not enough to drop $100 on it right out of the gate.

Take a heavy ziploc bag, put your ingredients in and seal everything but the very end. Use a straw to suck out the air, pressing the bag tightly around the straw, and sealing the bad very quickly. With practice, it will get you 95-98% of the way to a vacuum sealer's level for less than $0.25.

There's also the water method, where you dunk the ziploc into water and the water presses out the air for you.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Toaster posted:

Intriguing, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Alkalinity increases the rate of the Maillard reaction.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mascaria posted:

The problem with noodles in leftover soup is that they get over done and end up absorbing more liquid than you probably plan on them absorbing so they'll end up mushy and very very soft (think canned soup noodles). If you don't mind mushy soft noodles then freeze away. If you prefer good al dente then it's best to add noodles when you reheat the soup.

Can you adjust for this and under-cook the noodles pre-freezing?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mole sauce as chocolate and mashed potatoes as ice cream.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Soups might be a good way to do the veggies. Split pea soup, creamy asparagus soup, butternut squash soup.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anything I should be aware of substituting lactic acid for other acids in food, other than the relative concentration?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of cuts are best for grinding in meat? I know not to grind tenderloin, but is ground (cheapest thing possible) going to be noticeably worse than any other cut?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bunnielab posted:

Do you guys think frying them in a small amount of neutral oil would work? I would like to cut down on the butter and only add a smaller amount at the end with the sugar but I don't want them to be oily.

Frying things without them being oily is all about oil temp. I deep fry plain bananas chunks (1/8-1/6 a banana or so) at 375 degrees in peanut oil and then dredge in a cinnamon and powdered sugar mixture. They are not oily and are freaking amazing as the sugar combines with the little bit of oil at temp to form a thick glaze.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bunnielab posted:

Interesting. I would like to stick with pan frying due to the aforementioned laziness. Other than an infrared thermometer, is there a decent way to gauge the temp of a very light skim of oil?

Not really, oil looks pretty much the same from maybe 200 degrees up to a few below its smoke point. If you drop stuff in it, with time and accurate temp readings to correlate with you might be able to tell. That said, pan frying is an inch or two of oil away from deep frying - just get a small pan with high walls and work in batches if you want to conserve oil.

As a question, I'm curious why the temperature effect happens, I know that particularly with porous stuff like breading, temp is a huge deal with oiliness. I'm less certain about stuff like bananas, but it seems that higher temps lower oil viscosity, so more of it slides off when you pull it out? Is the same effect happening with bread crumbs, or is there another variable?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chemmy posted:

Well, you probably shouldn't put spices on a "good steak" but that's personal preference.

No. Entirely unseasoned steak is a tragedy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tarepanda posted:

Just salt and some pepper is usually fine for me. Mmm.

That's fine. Personally, I like to add a little garlic too, sometimes some chili powder, or carmelize some onions in the same pan before cooking that steak. It sounded like they were talking about cooking steak without even salt though!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

A few weeks ago I got my blood pressure checked (no, this was not motivated by the blood pressure thread in GBS) and one of my numbers was high. Since I'm in pretty good shape and going through a stressful job change + move I think I know why it's high, but just in case do you all have any advice for things I should/shouldn't cook with in order to keep my blood pressure at an OK level? Yes, they did tell me to watch how much salt I eat.

What was your blood pressure? Watching how much salt you eat can change your blood pressure by maybe 5-10 points. Maybe. Or it might not affect it at all.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

133 for the top number, I believe. Like I said I think I can chalk it up to the stress of changing jobs and living places while constantly arguing with my S.O. about it, but at the same time I recently got on the wrong side of 25 so I figure now's a good time to start asking questions like this, especially as it pertains to cooking since I only see myself cooking more in the future. The rest of that poo poo can go to E/N :v:

You're still pre-hypertensive. The best thing to do is exercise more and get good sleep which will help your stress levels, and continue to monitor your blood pressure over time.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kinmik posted:

I just opened a can of coconut milk. I noticed right away a dent in the side before I shook and opened it. 'It probably fell' was my first thought. When I pierced the lid, it popped out. The contents (probably because I agitated them) seem to be fine, there was no off smell, and against my better judgement, I tasted a tiny bit. Save for that small indent, it seems to be perfectly okay. Should I toss it anyway?

That indent has put very bad JuJu into the coconut milk. You will anger the god of pristine cans if you eat it and get even more bad JuJu. Can you spare that much good JuJu to cancel it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

Is there any way this is not a scam? Someone put a brand new Euro Cave (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/eurocave-comfort-266-connoisseur-s-package-wine-cellar.asp) on craigslist for $300 say that they were trying to sell out their warehouse because they were losing a part of it. I'm going to look at it today to see if it functions, but I haven't seen one in real life so I have no idea what to look for.

If it looks right, turns on, doesn't make any funny noises, and you can feel the cooling/airflow, you're probably good, and it's always a possibility that it's real and they need to liquidate. But... they should be able to do that at even $2k pretty quickly. Seems like it may be stolen, or they may just want to knock you out and have their way with you. Only one way to find out!