Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a couple bottles of Almond champagne *ahem* sparkling wine, from TJ's leftover from new year's eve. Can anyone recommend a recipe?

I don't drink wine, but I like it in sauces in stews. Is there anything I should avoid doing with almond champagne or should i go nuts with whatever recipes i find with just champagne in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm looking for a good book / website for Mexican cooking. I live in short distance to a bunch of good Mexican markets, but I don't know what to do with a tomatillo or dried chilis.

Im a decent home cook, doesn't need to be too basic, but techniques as well as well as recipes is what I'm looking for.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Do you want 'Mexican food' or Tex-Mex?

My taste buds are calibrated around california taquiera, but I want to try new things. I have small children, so I can get too adventurous.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm making blts tonight. Is there anything I could put into homemade mayo to make it better? Or should I stick to the best foods?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Lots of garlic. And throw some avocado on the blt because blats are better than blts.

this was awesome. Didn't have any avocado, but I'm sold on garlic Mayo on blts.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My recipe calls for bottled clam juice -- I have littleneck clams. Can I boil the clams in water and use that in place of the bottled clam juice? How much should I reduce it? til it looks sorta like the bottled stuff?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Are they live clams? If so, cook the clams in a bit of white wine until they open then drain and reserve the liquid.

Yep they're live. How much is a bit? Enough to cover?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Not even that, you can cook them in a half cm or so of wine and cover them to steam.

OK. The recipe I mentioned is calling for 24oz of clam juice. Will the wine clam liquid be enough to replace it?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It really depends. Do they mean tomato juice with clam liquid in it, like clamato? What's the recipe?

24oz of "pure" clam juice is a pretty huge amount for a non-commercial kitchen.

its from a cooks illustrated cookbook. And I was wrong. It calls for 32oz!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a handful of dust posted:

I had some smoked ribs at a barbecue recently, and now I'm craving more. The ones I ate came out of a smoker the size of a trailer, but all I've got at home is a Weber kettle grill.

Is there a way I can smoke meat low and slow with this thing? I haven't really used it for much aside from high-heat grilling.

Cheater way is cook low and slow in the oven and finish them on the grill.

Its harder, but you can smoke on a kettle. Put coals on one side and a pan of water on the other. For smoke put soaked chips on the coals and keep an eye on the temp cause it'll bounce around more than a larger smoker. Oh and put the ribs over the pan, not the coals.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Yes, we had whole cryovac'd kobe briskets.

is Kobe brisket better than your standard? I thought Kobe was all about marbelling. Doesn't that just render out?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Margaritas.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

aricoarena posted:

I like it but this mirrors my Gin and Tonic dilemma. Also I don't have tequila.

Your ratio of lime to liquor is higher with margaritas. You could also juice them, freeze and save it for when you're not a pussy you don't have work.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Alright, I'm bowing out because that is an insane amount of pure clam juice.

Made it. It turned out really loving good, but how can you go wrong with wine, heavy cream and tarragon.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a handful of dust posted:

This actually worked pretty well, thanks!

Smoked a chicken with some hickory chunks, definitely got me eyeing a dedicated smoker setup.

Awesome, glad it worked out. I have a Weber Smokey mountain that I like very much and would recommend to anyone.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have one Teflon pan that I use pretty exclusively for eggs. But I really like eggs, so it gets a lot of use.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Going back to browning in a pan: if I fill a pan to brown say, chicken breasts, should I add more oil to the pan when I flip them? The second side seems to stick more than the first. Or is it about the temp? I try to have just smoking oil.

Also, is there a strategy for keeping the fond from burning if I have to do two batches in the same pan?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A pound of dry beans is about a buck. Do you have anything else in the cupboard?

Where do you live? If your close, ill pack you some supplies for the next few days.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

scuz posted:

That's awful nice of you, but I don't think it's anything that dire! :) I'm just trying to see what sort of things I can come up with. I have the staples (a 5lb bag of bread flour, 1 stick of butter, ~2C left of corn flour), some cheese, baking soda/powder, hot sauce, yeast, pizza sauce (?), olive oil, that sorta thing. The BIGGEST bitch on the SS Dumb Bitches Only is that my oven smokes up my tiny apartment even when there's nothing in it, so stove-top is my best option. I've been subsisting on home-made cheese quesadillas and coffee for the last 4 days but I think I need to eat something else for a while :\

Looks like you've got the fixings for pizza / bread.. how about crumpets? Yeast dough + stove top. You could conceivably use them as a base for mini pizzas with the rest of the stuff you have.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Beef stew tonight. The recipe calls for parsley. Do I use flat leaf or the garnish tree looking poo poo?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I love liverwurst, but don't like fried liver. Not big on fois gras either. I dunno.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

can I get some pro tips for cooking trader joes mixed seafood? I over cook it like a champ.

Usually goes like this: olive oil in a pan, heat red pepper flakes and garlic til fragrant. Throw in bag still frozen, add some white wine. gently caress around with it til the shrimp look done.

Should I be defrosting first? Covering and steaming? Different preparation method?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, you should be defrosting. What's in it? Can't really tell you how to cook without knowing, with a mix of seafood in a dish you have to add it in order depending on how long each thing takes to cook.

Its a mixed bag of shrimp, scallops, and squid.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think I need an iron chef CSA box edition.

What is this other than phallic?

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 22, 2012

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chard posted:

Table-breaking huge for one thing.

See my user name.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Quick! I have two nice looking porkchops (not boneless). How should I make them? Lightly flour and pan fry? Grill it on my cast iron grill skillet? What sort of sauce goes well with it?

I'll make some garlic mashedpotatoes and broccoli/cauliflower as sides.

I did pork chops last night on the grill. Started them out with s+p, then slathered them the BBQ sauce halfway through to get a caramelized crust without burning the sauce. You could do the same idea under the broiler.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

"Noni posted:

car talk

This was awesome, and you're awesome.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I made beef broth for stew for the first time. The marrow came out in big chunks and while tasty, not so pretty. Is there anything I can do to make it more presentable? Immersion blender?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nifty posted:

What foods should be cooked in what kind of pan? I have stainless and non-stick. Is there a reason to not cook everything in a non-stick?

Non stick wears off. My mother in law has an all clad that's loving tits, but I can't afford to replace every few years. Get a cheap nonstick that you can stand to throw away when the coating wears out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

poo poo sticks when the pan gets cold. Make sure your pan and the fat in it is hot when you put your meat in. Also, letting your meat come up to room temperature can help.

But really don't sweat it. The pork chop will release once it's build up a nice brown surface, which is delicious, as is the brown poo poo left stuck on the pan.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

My friend just got the invoice for the half beef we bought. He weighed 833 lbs on the hoof, and our portion should weigh out to about 172 lbs. We can pick our meat up any time after the 20th.

If people are still interested I may make a thread, though I'm not sure there's all that much for me to say about it. I could make it a more general discussion of buying local meat and such, if that appeals to anyone.

Mrs rj and are looking into doing this. I'd be very interested in your experience.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is there a big flavor contribution from roux in sauces? I made a pan sauce tonight. After browning chicken, I put garlic in the pan, but panicked when it started to brown too quickly and dumped in wine to deglaze and stop the browning Instead of flour to make roux. I find finished with corn starch to thicken.

Which leads to my initial question.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I grilled chicken breasts last night with oil + mansmiths, which is a sort of Santa maria like spice blend.

I'm looking for leftover ideas, and I was thinking about a soy/peanut/ginger stir fry. Will the spices already on the chicken gently caress up the flavors in the stir fry?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Best bachelor food, cooking noob food: chicken breasts with a good spice rub on a George foreman. I'd also recommend watching good eats to the goon getting into cooking.

But yeah what they said. Thighs > breasts erryday

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mach420 posted:

Just as an anecdote, a chunk of Pecorino romano has lasted for over 8 months, with occasional use, in a tupperware container in my fridge without molding up.

With hard cheeses, I just cut off the mold and use the rest. I throw out soft cheeses if they start to look sketchy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This might be stupid... I've been told to save the spices for later in sautees and such because spices burn, but most recipes call for salt and pepper before meat meets heat. Does the pepper not burn? Is it more durable wrt other spices?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Pretty sure it's impossible to germinate yourself.

You'll go blind trying.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iron chef CSA box: I've got a shitload of green onions. What can I do with them? Soup?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I tried a cooks illustrated recipe for crispy skin roast chicken where the bird was dried then left in the fridge with salt pepper and baking powder. Cooked in a hot oven on a v rack over foil with a dry pan underneath.

End result was smoke detectors going off, browned but not crispy skin, and undercooked thighs. And an hour spent scrubbing out my precious all clad roasting pan.

As my three year old would say, "dat make me saaaad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask: anyone know a good way to remove turmeric stains from floors? A bottle of turmeric took a tumble today off our fridge (no I don't know what it was doing there, I just moved in) and got a bit on the floor. I wiped off the dust, but we're left with a bright yellow splotch on the floor. It's one of those fake-tile type floors, I think.

Try white vinegar. Or a paste of oxy-clean