Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you're in a cooler fall climate? Chili and flatbread (of one of a thousand different varieties) with or without cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spinach and chickpea curry, very mild. What would the name be, because I'm getting several different ones. :ohdear:

Rice cookers: I've never had a problem with the cheap $20 models. Hell, my little aroma has lasted 6 years now without a flaw and it always makes good rice. But YMMV depending on what kind of rice you're making. If you're just making white long grain I don't see any real reason for you to run out and buy a zojirushi.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I want an ice crusher. A manual ice crusher.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Retro-Crusher-Stainless-Steel-Chrome/dp/B000YDCWDQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1326936525&sr=8-11

Like that. Only I want one that doesn't suck rear end and doesn't cost $50. Am I hosed? All I want to do is chew on ice. I just hate giant chunks and I'm tired of bashing my counter with a hammer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

For the same money you can get a blender that crushes ice and also does other stuff

edit: oh yeah, and ice cubette trays would work too

We have a blender. I suppose it wouldn't damage the blades then?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Who the hell was it that ate the ghost peppers from gws and put it on youtube? I can't find the videos. help?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

It was the heroic Gourd of Space, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E2INbrnDw

Appreciate it muchly. Thanks :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugh. I'm in an absolute rut with dinners. Any good tips for breaking out of a rut? It's like the cooking side of my brain just ripped itself off and took a dive off a cliff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Go to the grocery store and purchase a cut or type of meat you're unfamiliar with. Do the same with veggies. Then come back home and hit the internet for ideas.

I did this a couple of times, but it just didn't wanna break me of it. I also tried closing my eyes and pointing my finger at a shelf in the asian section a few times and running with that and :saddowns:

On the other hand, I cooked beef heart and I've never done that before and it smelled awesome.

Hell, why not. Thanks to both of you guys.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Two questions: Is there anything really specific I should look for or avoid in a handheld potato masher (metals, designs, etc)? And can you leave potato skins on in colcannon without making it taste terrible?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm having a bitch of a time getting my membranes to peel cleanly on my hard boiled eggs. The eggs are cold, I'm doing it underwater. Am I just getting thick membranes on my eggs? Or is there a better way to do this?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

theres a lot of lore, but generally older eggs are easier to peel. Also, don't let them cool completely. Shock them cool in icewater after a boil and it's supposed to keep the membrane separate from the white. If you let them cool in shell i guess the white sticks to the membrane more, :iiam:

modernist cuisine @ home suggests hitting the shell with a blowtorch to make it more brittle and easy to peel but I haven't tried this yet.

Well that'd explain my problem since I was told to let the hang out in cold water for a solid 30 minutes. :iamafag: Thanks you guys.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinkerton posted:

What do you all do for dinners on days (like today in New England) where the temperature is so hot hot that the thought of turning on the oven / standing over a cooktop is nauseating? I'm planning on boiling some frozen Ballpark hotdogs I found in the freezer. This is terrible.

Cook anyway and drink three bottles of water while the window is wide open and there's a fan cocked up in it. What you're experiencing in New England is what's normal for summer around here.

I also tend to make long-cooking stuff in the mornings and just microwave it if need be later on for dinner. That may not help for tonight, but maybe you can whip something up tomorrow morning? Also, my crockpot doesn't really emit any heat while it's cooking so that gets used a good bit because I like cold soup.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What's your preferred water/sugar/lemon juice ratio for lemonade?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Drifter posted:

You also can't forget to add the Pink. It needs to be pink.

Pretty sure the prickly pear juice I'm gonna add will make it pink. Thanks you guys.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are you supposed to use a melon baller or something when you make cookies to get these "this recipe makes 5 dozen cookies" estimates? Because drat it I use a teaspoon and somehow I always end up with like, 18. Just how tiny are these balls of dough that these people are using?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I made popcorn on too-high heat like a moron. I scrubbed off the actual carbon on my stainless steel pots, but there's stains remaining that are just as black. Vinegar/water and boil it? SoS pads are doing fuckall because stains suck.

Also, say you've got 50 quail eggs. Okay, 80 quail eggs. What would you do with'em. Because I'm running out of ideas over here and they keep popping them out and the homeless shelter and food lockers only take chicken and duck eggs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'd like suggestions from you all for fall-y roast duck. I'm thinking onions, rosemary, dill, parsnips, potatoes, butternut squash and brussels but I dunno. I don't feel like there's enough acid in just the onions to cut all that but I feel like citrus throws off the squash. Roast duck recipes are appreciated. Simple is better. These folks are military, not michelin star chefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

I'm guessing it's a whole duck you're wanting to roast? It's going to produce that awesome fat. I'd use that fat to roast potatoes and char the sprouts. And I would then lose everything else except the parsnips. I'd look at making an apple or pear (seasonal) sauce with fennel seed and green peppercorns. With duck I'm wanting something to absorb the fat and juices (spuds and parsnips), counter with acid and sweetness (apple sauce and parsnip) and contrast (sprouts). But mostly not throw too many things on the plate that don't work with the duck, or obscure it.

It's two, however:

They're runner ducks. ( http://www.dramabutton.com/ )

On the other hand, I'm feeding very few people. I mostly wanted to roast for presentation value even though i know I'm basically taking "just enough" meat along. I'm not against parting their meat out and throwing it in a pan, but it wouldn't be as "pretty" of a main dish.

Pear sauce sounds pretty goddamn nice. I can *always* do a butternut squash soup instead of throwing it in this.